Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911R Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 04:12 PM
NoPaddleShiftFor
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Had mine out today for a spirited drive on some nice A and B roads. I honestly didn't feel like anything was missing at the top end but maybe you only really notice that on the track, which I haven't done yet. I just love how the car feels and the feedback it gives you. I know you have heard it from everyone, but the turn in is like nothing else I've ever driven. I also love the instant response when you get back on the gas. The R really is a special car and has replaced my TVR Sagaris as favourite hooning car.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:26 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoPaddleShiftFor
Had mine out today for a spirited drive on some nice A and B roads. I honestly didn't feel like anything was missing at the top end but maybe you only really notice that on the track, which I haven't done yet. I just love how the car feels and the feedback it gives you. I know you have heard it from everyone, but the turn in is like nothing else I've ever driven. I also love the instant response when you get back on the gas. The R really is a special car and has replaced my TVR Sagaris as favourite hooning car.
Nice photo, the best I've seen of those colours. CAlexio is the only person I've heard mention lack of top end. Maybe he's spent too much time in the P1. I imagine that to have an R you've driven other GT Porsches; can you make a comparison?
Old 03-25-2017, 04:47 PM
NoPaddleShiftFor
Advanced

Originally Posted by turbofreeFLAT6
Nice photo, the best I've seen of those colours. CAlexio is the only person I've heard mention lack of top end. Maybe he's spent too much time in the P1. I imagine that to have an R you've driven other GT Porsches; can you make a comparison?
I haven't driven the 991 GT cars in anger and it's been a while since I've driven the 996 and 997 versions, so can't really compare, but certainly don't remember any of them making me smile this much. My other "fun" cars are the TVR Sagaris I mentioned, a manual Ferrari F430 and a manual Lamborghini Murcielago LP640. They are all very different cars and all wonderful in their own right, but if I look at my plans for the next few months; spirited weekend drives, track days, car club runs, a European tour, a hill climb run, cars and coffee events, a charity car show and a top speed runway run, the 911R is probably the only one that would be first or second choice for every event.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:21 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

What a wonderful variety of experiences those cars must give you. What do you like most and least about each?
Old 03-25-2017, 05:47 PM
NoPaddleShiftFor
Advanced

What a wonderful variety of experiences those cars must give you. What do you like most and least about each?

Sagaris - Most: Raw driving experience. Least: Smell

F430 - Most: it's a red Ferrari with cream leather and an open six speed gate just like I dreamed as a kid. Least: Brake fade at track days.

LP640 - Most: Looks and sound. Least: Size. It's big for our roads

R - Most: Noises and turn in. Least: Everyone's preconceived views on R owners and people talking about prices rather than how it drives, which is the only thing I care about.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:51 PM
Dante
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 37 Posts

great picss of the R, congrats!
Old 03-25-2017, 06:02 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts
Default R experience

Totally agree about least favorite thing about the R. The politics. The value. R owners. All the BS surrounding one of the great sports cars ever.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:04 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts
Default It didn't come out right!

It didn't come out right! All the R owners I know are true Porsche guys and should have the car. It's all the nonsense judging R owners.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:19 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 939 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Suitcase
It didn't come out right! All the R owners I know are true Porsche guys and should have the car. It's all the nonsense judging R owners.
I was like "Hey! You are a R owner as well!"
Old 03-25-2017, 06:20 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Thanks for sharing, NoPaddleShiftFor. The Sagaris looks great in red.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:30 PM
NoPaddleShiftFor
Advanced

Originally Posted by Suitcase
Same with the R owners here in Scotland. All car enthusiasts who drive their cars. Unless they're having some very special paintwork done, right Mark? See separate thread on postponed PTS.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:04 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NoPaddleShiftFor
Same with the R owners here in Scotland. All car enthusiasts who drive their cars. Unless they're having some very special paintwork done, right Mark? See separate thread on postponed PTS.
Mine did 2,000 miles before getting a respray..and will be at 4000 by the end of April. (Inc a few laps of Spa, having already been round Silverstone..).

PS Suitcase and my cars came off the line next to each other.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:26 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

If I see an R owner driving their car then they'll get a big thumbs up from me, it's the owners who've still got the delivery mileage on them and have no intention of driving them that we can all agree are cu..... not good.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:11 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

I'll add more context. The torque is really meaty throughout the range in the 4.0, but I feel it doesn't surge as much in last part of rev range like I remember GT3 did. Could also be interpreted as its got a flatter it fuller torque curve in midrange, which is very desirable for a road car. The car is the essence of what a 911 should be, all the boxes of what matters are ticked, no complaints, and the one car id choose if I could only have one sports car for the rest of my life.. I can imagine that in the year 2047, if someone is driving around with a 911R, other gearheads would say "they made cars much more enjoyable back then", and it would still be relevant.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:21 PM
shiraz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're sat at a long red light in the Sagaris, does the car parked alongside you get blistered paint or tyres from the exhaust pipe?

Quick Reply: 911R Driving Impressions