Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911R Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 04:36 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

The flywheel has nothing to do with clutch pedal effort. The pressure plate design and slave cylinder bore size are what control pedal effort.

The R was designed for the "street", hence the lighter pedal, and steering weight.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:09 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
The flywheel has nothing to do with clutch pedal effort. The pressure plate design and slave cylinder bore size are what control pedal effort.

The R was designed for the "street", hence the lighter pedal, and steering weight.
Why would the R clutch feel dramatically lighter than almost any sports car in production?.. and definitely lighter than any other "street" Porsche anyone here has driven?
Old 07-22-2017, 05:54 AM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 101 Posts

Suitcase,

My R is still in break-in, and I am exercising extreme self-restraint in following AP's guidelines on optimal break-in procedure, so a fuller write-up on impressions will have to wait.

In the meantime, here is my summary - and these are my opinions only, I am sure people will have different views:

1) 993 RS - I have air-cooled bias and this has always been one of my favorite cars. It always reminds me of driving a high performance go-kart, wrapped all around you. Softer than the 964 RS for sure, but no less capable, and better fitted for the country "B" roads that I often drive in. If I had better access to a good track, the 964 RS might come closer to being preferred. Two highlights for me for this car: a) the size, which is perfect; and b) at 90% of my driving (I am not an expert or track junkie), the car is also at 90%. Most people, myself included, barely touch the performance envelope of the newer cars. By the same token, the biggest downside of the 993 RS is the lack of absolute power compared to the newer cars. Reverse the driving order, drive the 997 4.0 or the 911R first, and then the 993 RS, and the comparative lack of power would make itself more felt. It would, I think, feel less special.

2) 997 RS 4.0 - As good as everyone says, and more. I have some miles in a 997.2 RS and 30K kilos in a 997 GT3, and the 4.0 simply stands tall compared to its brothers. The engine tweaks, and more importantly for me the suspension enhancements, make themselves immediately felt. But here's the interesting thing - AFTER driving the 911R back-to-back, the 997 RS 4.0 begins to feel even more special. There is simply a generational difference in how the cars drive, and what the 4.0 was designed to do, compared to the 911R. With the RS 4.0, you are doing 100% of the driving. That can be good or bad, depending on your POV, but that bridge has been crossed, and there is no turning back. And the 911R...

3) 911R - still in break-in, but the short of it, the car makes you feel like a hero, while at the same time being extremely easy to drive. For a lot of people, that is as close to ideal as possible. It may be heresy in these forums, but the driving experience reminds me most of the Ferrari Speciale, also one of my favorite cars. Not the same, but very very similar. I can easily see a situation where both cars are used as daily drivers. Perhaps this is where all the high performance car designers are heading. Very fast, very capable, with all the right sounds, and very easy to use. The performance envelope is easily accessible, and the auto-blip in the 911R is almost telepathic.

Will report again after I have a couple of thousand kilos in the 911R.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:57 AM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos993
There is simply a generational difference in how the cars drive, and what the 4.0 was designed to do, compared to the 911R. With the RS 4.0, you are doing 100% of the driving. That can be good or bad, depending on your POV, but that bridge has been crossed, and there is no turning back. .
Fully agree with this. The 9X1 generation GT cars, even the manual ones are fundamentally very different cars to the 996/997s.

very interesting to read your comparison of the cars, always wanted a 993rs!
Old 07-22-2017, 07:07 AM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Thank you

Carlos 993

Thank you for your wonderful response. I too followed AP break-in to the letter. There is no doubt that the car comes alive in the higher RPM range. I'll be anxious to hear how you feel about the R once broken in.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:06 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Suitcase
Carlos 993

Thank you for your wonderful response. I too followed AP break-in to the letter. There is no doubt that the car comes alive in the higher RPM range. I'll be anxious to hear how you feel about the R once broken in.
Interesting stuff - what was AP's advised break-in procedure for the 911R? I do not recall and cannot find it here.
Thx
Jeff
Old 07-22-2017, 10:30 AM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos993
Suitcase,

2) 997 RS 4.0 - As good as everyone says, and more. I have some miles in a 997.2 RS and 30K kilos in a 997 GT3, and the 4.0 simply stands tall compared to its brothers. The engine tweaks, and more importantly for me the suspension enhancements, make themselves immediately felt. But here's the interesting thing - AFTER driving the 911R back-to-back, the 997 RS 4.0 begins to feel even more special. There is simply a generational difference in how the cars drive, and what the 4.0 was designed to do, compared to the 911R. With the RS 4.0, you are doing 100% of the driving. That can be good or bad, depending on your POV, but that bridge has been crossed, and there is no turning back. And the 911R...

911R.
++ 997.2 RS / 4.0 best cars imho. no newer car will fell like this, not even close.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:31 PM
BusDriver
Instructor

Received 222 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Is there someone else that has driven a 911R that can chime in on how light the clutch feel is with the single mass flywheel? As you may or may not know we completed a conversion on an RS and we are all sitting here wondering why the clutch is so light and in talking to another 911R owner, both the OP and that person and us are all in agreement that it's quite possibly the lightest clutch any of us have ever felt. Yet again this forum could possibly save me from banging my head against a brick wall.
Great job with the GT3 RS conversion to manual!
To keep the universe in balance, maybe you can convert my 911R to PDK...
And yes clutch is very light.

Originally Posted by JCBH
Interesting stuff - what was AP's advised break-in procedure for the 911R? I do not recall and cannot find it here.
Thx
Jeff
The break in recommendation is here
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-and-911r/957856-911r-driving-impressions-2.html#post13672324
Old 07-22-2017, 01:33 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BusDriver
The break in recommendation is here
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post13672324
Many thanks! I will be sure to follow that!
Jeff
Old 07-22-2017, 01:47 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

Very light clutch on 911R

Very nice to drive,
In real life- like a car.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:29 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does AP's 'break-in' advice have any basis in fact? I struggle to think that any of the factory cars were ever run in like that.

I just followed common sense, and the handbook - didn't (don't) drive it hard when cold or hold revs at a constant level for too long; went up and down the rev range, inc to max. Same way I've run in cars for 30 years and never had a problem yet.

Just turning 5k miles, more than one trackday, (and now on second set of tires). It's running and sounding noticeably better than ever, and anyone who's not driving them hard is missing out.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:47 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
You are obviously taking things too seriously. It is of course his opinion/his thread and his impressions,while what you think is yours. Bear in mind he has and driven both cars,you don't...
I personally don't understand your frustration...and it is frustration I feel...
Again,it's his thread/his impressions...he did not try to impose his opinions on you...why do you click on it? Carry on...
+100. Do we REALLY have to preface our experience with IMO? Interesting people on this board...
Old 07-25-2017, 10:57 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Very light clutch on 911R

Very nice to drive,
In real life- like a car.
Just got my 911R. The clutch is very light, as many of you say, and the car is a pleasure to drive. The shifter is very mechanical-feeling and feels very precise. Really enjoyed the first 30 miles on an early morning jaunt. I drove my 991RS pretty hard this weekend in some back canyon sweeper roads, and cannot wait to take the 911R to those same roads soon to do a more thorough comparison. We have a 981 Spyder as well, and this car feels like a more angry version of that car's setup. The 911R's sounds are really intense, and the lack of insulation adds to the experience and enjoyment. I am eager to spend more time gaining further impressions. So far, so great!
Jeff
Old 08-04-2017, 09:42 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Spent much of this week driving the R and then the RS and I have to say the R is so much more engaging and fun! The RS is very precise and explosive but mostly noticeable at higher speeds.
The 911R feels very punchy and ready to go at all times...and the sharp manual transmission really adds to the level of intensity that you tap into instantly. I have been smiling all week, and even my wife noticed how the car is so visceral and exciting (especially the sound during driving and startup).
120 miles in, it is easily the best car I have ever driven - there is some secret sauce in this car. In the canyons it is just so sharp and precise. I just don't want to stop driving! Luckily it is the weekend so plenty of time to jump in.
I had heard so many claims that this car is a hot rod, read reviews that this is the best 911 Porsche ever made for the road, and thought it could be hype. Well, I am convinced and am really enjoying it - and that is the point of a car like this - exciting, fun and just the car I grab the keys to...I don't think this excitement will wear off...
Jeff
Attached Images         
Old 08-04-2017, 11:37 PM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 101 Posts

Agreed, you describe the R driving experience very well. And nice cars in great colors...

Quick Reply: 911R Driving Impressions