Sponsored by:

911R Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 11:46 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Again sorry.

I was so excited to see this I just didn't think. I'm the fool.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:02 AM
Greg Lab
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suitcase
I was so excited to see this I just didn't think. I'm the fool.
No worries man. They were very good. I thought they were real too when I first saw them. Fun to watch!
Old 02-15-2017, 12:03 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
This is a Videogame simulation. how is his relevant?

Edit: maybe this was tongue in cheek and I missed the joke, feeling dumb now
I hear you, I fell for it too.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:21 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 321 Posts

Although virtual, those were both pretty fun and I bet pretty accurate representations. Some of us will have to settle for virtual versions of the car anyway, so it's nice to see what we're in for!
Old 03-11-2017, 07:52 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts
Default my impression after 350 miles...

Had the unfortunate task of having to drive a 911R part way to Amelia Island, because, uhm... the tow truck ran out of gas, we ran out of drivers, and i wanted to be the nice guy and volunteered to drive it myself once it was delivered.... and this is what I have to say about it.

-It makes terrible grinding noises. clearly porsche has some ****ty engineers as the engine makes a terrible "grumph grumph grumph blub blub blub" sound at idle. In a car with this much drama around it, they should have fixed this before sending out to customers. #germanengineeringsucks

-grocery getter: look, i tried to put the groceries in the trunk and there was no room.. someone put an engine back there. WTF?.. so i opened the hood and there was a big gaping hole... WHAT??? anyway.. ended up putting the groceries in there.. hopefully that balances out the absurd weight distribution this car must have. #UNBALANCED

-The interior is already discolored into this weird brown color... can't believe their black color fades so fast in the sun.. #LOW QUALITY.

-There is not enough sound deadening.. i can almost hear every piston going up and down when i'm on the gas... it's like the just stuck some body panels on, an engine in the wrong side of the car, and some wheels, without any thought to comfort. #PITIFUL.

-Clearly porsche ran out of stereos or navigation systems... there is a gaping hole where these creature comforts should be.. in a car this expensive, these items should be standard. again, #TERRIBLE.

-The steering is WAY too sensitive. small movements in the wheels cause instantaneous changes in direction.. I can't even sneeze in this car without changing direction... this is the wrong way to create a car.. look at Tesla for example.. their car steers ITSELF!!!! How come porsche can't get with the program. Also, can we talk about gas mileage??? 12.3 mpg?.. what is this, a semi-truck?.... I swear i tried to drive it as parsimoniously as possible, i diligently used the entire rev range in every gear, and took every twisty road i could find as i was supposed to vary engine speed during break-in. Did everything i was supposed to, and this is the result? #SAD. #GASGUZZLER #NOTGREEN

-this car needs some kind of better muffler system, send it to Midas for god's sake. The engine requires something like 8000rpm, then i have to actually SHIFT GEARS MANUALLY, and at that point, it's making such a racket that people at Amelia Island were all turning around and taking pictures... no doubt they were reporting me to the police. A father even picked up his kid, whispered something in his ear and pointed... then.. he DROPPED his kid he was so annoyed with me and started jumping up and down like a teenager.. i was totally embarrassed. #embarrassed.

-color issues?... what is this?.. everyone kept giving me the thumbs up shouting, clearly the silly stripes and PORSCHE script along the side were like some sort of "beginner driver" symbol.. might as well have had "DRIVING SCHOOL" written along the doors. it was quite clownish with matching calipers in orange also... #clowncar

What else can i say?.. I'm thoroughly disappointed. If I had known that i would have had to do all the work while driving, have to keep track of the revs, have to shift for myself, hear every damn engine revolution, worry about the sensitive steering, and deal with people continually taking pictures.. I would have stayed at home. I mean, look at this dash.. how many damn dials are there to keep track of?.. can't they automate this somehow?

What a joke.. the more you pay the less you get.. after I take the R back home tomorrow, drive it in the mountains all week, then do a track day this coming saturday.. I'm done with this car. Handing it back to my buddy asap.. thanks but no thanks! (but no seriously.. so effin' grateful)

Old 03-11-2017, 08:00 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Thanks for sharing Alex.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:51 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

You have one great friend. Nice write up. Thank you for sharing.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:00 PM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

U can put a peanut butter jelly sandwich where the stereo gaping hole is. Helps with hunger after working so hard

Last edited by masti99; 03-12-2017 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:37 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by masti99
U can put a peanut butter jelly sandwich where the stereo gaping hole is. Helps with hungry after working so hard
Exactly what Mooty does.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:12 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

Great write up...the R is a special car!
Old 03-11-2017, 10:15 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Great to see the grey/orange R in the corral yesterday. If not mistaken there was 5 R in the corral. Thanks for bringing them. Even if it was a big sacrifice! 😂😂
Old 03-11-2017, 10:34 PM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

CA you do yeoman's work.

How hard it must be to be you...
Old 03-11-2017, 11:27 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by laranja
CA you do yeoman's work.

How hard it must be to be you...
yes. tough days in my life. :-D
Old 03-11-2017, 11:35 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CAlexio
yes. tough days in my life. :-D
You did tell me the other day that you needed to get going and work harder but I wasn't expecting this hard.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

sport classic gray , alex?
no radio
no wart
wow wow wow
i love this R
as well as one with supeor low spec in europe

Quick Reply: 911R Driving Impressions