Sponsored by:

911R Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 05:44 AM
JarmoL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by turbofreeFLAT6
Thank you GrantG for telling me by PM that the speeds at 7,000 rpm for the GT4 looked wrong and for giving me the ratios. Apparently my source for the relative ratios after including tyre sizes was flawed so I went back to basics using an online tyre size calculator. I also found from an old Road & Track data sheet that 2nd to 6th gears for the 996.2 GT3/RS were wrong and corrected them.

I'm pretty the charts are accurate now but let me know if you see any more errors. If anyone has ratios for the 996.1 GT3 I'll include it.
996.1 ratios are the same as 996.2 for gears 1-4. 5th is 0.97 and 6th 0.82. Those were longer because of the lower redline compared to 996.2. I guess it was important to be able to say the car has a 300 km/h top speed.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:45 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My opinions...

Yes, it does move around if you push it. I'm not one for driving cars sideways (ingrained from racing as a bad thing...), but it doesn't feel planted like say an 991RS. Definitely more playful. (Having said that, my perfect R would have an old fashioned handbrake for proper cornering in the snow!)

The steering is very precise, and does give good feedback. It is a bit lighter than I woukd like, and I would prefer if it was hydraulic given the choice. However, it's not something you think about while driving - ie it's not an irritation, I would just go the other way if asked.

Turn in and agility is great, at least partly because of RWS, which is much more resolved than in the RS. RWS is a great feature and I would always order it now.

Stripes - I think they suit the car right now, although I guess I wouldn't have thought to spec a car with stripes if it wasn't launched like that (notwithstanding the historic link).
I've considered having them painted, but that would take away the option of removing them in future if the look 'wears off'.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:01 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

No need to own a certain car to form an opinion. But, you have to drive it to fully understand it.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:39 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
No need to own a certain car to form an opinion. But, you have to drive it to fully understand it.
Excellent point! I was waiting for a 991RS allocation got fed up and test drove a TTS and loved it. I don't have much time for the track these days and I am very pleased with the way it performs in the canyons.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:18 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,026 Likes on 2,840 Posts

I've added maximum speeds in gears, tidied up the chart and uploaded it as a single PDF but for some reason it wont display like the individual screen shots did so you have to click on it to download it. The redlines and max speeds in top are from Porsche literature, the max speeds in other gears are calculated from the gear and final drive ratios and tyre sizes.

Attachment 1125433
Most complete data compilation like this I've seen!
Old 01-13-2017, 08:03 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,605 Likes on 1,619 Posts

As someone who will almost certainly never own an R (maybe a GT3 at some point?) I wanted to say thank you to those owners kind enough to share the intimate details of owning (driving!) this car. I grew up pouring over reviews by Rich Ceppos, Pat Bedard, Brock Yates, Dennis Simiantis, Paul Frere and Peter Egan, so most all of my early auto impressions were formed by their ability to accurately describe what I was not yet old enough to do. I still appreciate the writing of true automotive journalists, but they are sadly far and few between. Most magazine articles these days spend 2/3 of the time regurgitating the press pack and about two paragraphs of boring, cliched type on how it drives. There are a few exceptions, like Henry Catchpole.

Thanks owners and drivers for continuing to feed this hungry soul for more info. In the meantime, I'll enjoy my lowly C2S cab and continue to dream as I did as a young lad..unless someone in Houston in a GT3 / RS / R wants to take me for a spin.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:10 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GrantG
Most complete data compilation like this I've seen!
It's now more complete (previous page) with the 996.1 included thanks to the ratios provided by JarmoL. I shrank the chart so I could take a screen shot which, unlike the PDF, displays even though it is a bigger file.

Anyway, the whole gearing question arose with the query of the comment that the R pulls harder than the 991 RS. The reasons why have been provided but the chart shows that gearing - at least in the first four gears - is not a factor, with speeds at 7,000 rpm and the redline only 1-2 mph different.

The chart also shows the significantly lower gearing introduced with the 997 RS 3.8 continuing at a similar level in subsequent models except for the GT4, which is even higher geared than the 996-997.2 GT3s - but reaches similar speeds to them at maximum rpm.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:11 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 197 Posts

powerslidelover stuff:

as posted somewhere already:
View this post on Instagram

and this:

View this post on Instagram

Old 01-15-2017, 08:04 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crystal ball:

Is the R a one-off like the Cayman R, the beginning of an ongoing exclusive model line or the prelude to a Carrera 2.7/3.0 successor - a full production Motorsport designed road car now that the Carrera has become a grand tourer?

Porsche will want to keep its best customers happy which means differentiating the .2 GT3 from the R. Apart from a fixed wing, no magnesium or carbon panels, PCCB as an option (not standard), maybe 10 hp less and higher production - what else can Porsche do?
Old 01-16-2017, 12:49 PM
BusDriver
Instructor

Received 229 Likes on 65 Posts

It seems pretty much the perfect Porsche for the current era. The only things I question are:
- With so much more grip than previous generations is it possible to manipulate the handling as much on the road?
- Are the technical benefits of EPAS worth the reduction in feel?
- The wide, thick, matt stripes on an otherwise elegant car. If they were painted on they would integrate better. However they are a delete option.
My views are similar to Footsoldier's above...

On the road, I am happy to have great front end grip as I am not interested in sliding the front. And when appropriate, it is easy to light up the rear tires on power as the grip at the rear is easily overcome by the engine. The 911 R feels overpowered for its tires so road handling is fantastic and very engaging on the road. It is not just grip and power that makes the car engaging - the RWS makes the car more fun with excellent turn-in when charging up the hairpins on a mountain road. The better turn-in with RWS makes for higher corner entry speeds, and therefore even easier to light up the rears on corner exit.

The electric power steering is very precise, but does not have the same road feedback as the previous hydraulic systems. If I could choose, I would rather have hydraulic power steering.

Agreed that the stripes are a matter of taste. I optioned my stripes to match the paint as a compromise to retain the uniqueness of the stripes while remaining more subtle than contrasting stripes. BTW, painted stripes cost around 50k, so only about 5 or 10 cars have that.

Crystal ball:

Is the R a one-off like the Cayman R, the beginning of an ongoing exclusive model line or the prelude to a Carrera 2.7/3.0 successor - a full production Motorsport designed road car now that the Carrera has become a grand tourer?

Porsche will want to keep its best customers happy which means differentiating the .2 GT3 from the R. Apart from a fixed wing, no magnesium or carbon panels, PCCB as an option (not standard), maybe 10 hp less and higher production - what else can Porsche do?
As far as I know, the R is a one-off and Porsche will not be making another similar car any time soon. The closest will be the 991.2 GT3 with a manual gearbox but as you indicated, it will be missing many of the special parts of the 911 R.

Last edited by BusDriver; 01-16-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:17 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Crystal ball:

The Cayman R was a one-off in name only; it was effectively replaced by the Cayman GTS and GT4 with the 981 generation. Similarly, I would not be surprised to see the 911R become another regular production model, whether or not it continues to be called the 911R. Having a manual transmission option in the 991.2 GT3 will be great, but clearly there are a lot of people who would pay more for a focused, lightweight, stripped down canyon carver.

IMO Porsche (and VW as a whole) is more concerned with increasing revenue than retaining resale values of sold units. Besides, they will provide other baubles for their 'best customers' to keep them happy...
Old 01-16-2017, 03:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_ker
powerslidelover stuff:

as posted somewhere already:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPQN0wUhV4c/

But, but, but...991R owners don't even drive their cars...

But, but, but...you can't drive in snow with performance tires, you'll die and your car will burst into flames...

But, but, but...nobody specs PCCB in snow...the gravel!!!
Old 01-16-2017, 06:57 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
But, but, but...991R owners don't even drive their cars...

But, but, but...you can't drive in snow with performance tires, you'll die and your car will burst into flames...

But, but, but...nobody specs PCCB in snow...the gravel!!!
With Almost Every pair of sunglasses sold in the world, his daddy is making $ on the transaction. Complete worldwide sunglasses market monopoly.. I think he's ok with some extra consumables costs.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:53 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
With Almost Every pair of sunglasses sold in the world, his daddy is making $ on the transaction. Complete worldwide sunglasses market monopoly.. I think he's ok with some extra consumables costs.
So you're telling me rich guys own most of the 911Rs...?

Shocked!
Old 01-17-2017, 12:05 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,383 Likes on 2,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The Cayman R was a one-off in name only; it was effectively replaced by the Cayman GTS and GT4 with the 981 generation.
I have both a Cayman R and GT4, and the feel of the cars is quite different. The GT4 is more capable, refined, and comfortable, but the Cayman R feels lighter, smaller, and generally more like a go kart, and hydraulic steering is nice too. I view the Cayman R as a 'last of its kind' sort of car.

Quick Reply: 911R Driving Impressions