Sponsored by:

911R Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 02:08 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts
Default All Sport Bottons are not equal

One more thing....all "sport" buttons are not the same.

'14 C4 (3.4) - Sport; noticeable increase in throttle response; no downshift auto-blip ... I use it always.

'16 981 Spyder - Sport; increase in throttle response; no downshift auto-blip; automatically engages sport suspension.... I use it always.

'16 981 Spyder - Sport Plus; all functions of Sport with downshift auto-blip

'16 911 C2 GTS - Sport (if I remember correctly) same as '16 981 Spyder

'16 911 C2 GTS - Sport Plus (if I remember correctly) same as '16 981 Spyder

'16 911 R - Sport - No distinguishable increase in throttle response that I can tell; Auto-blip downshift; throttle hold in torque band up-shift.

Any other incarnations? GT4?
Old 12-27-2016, 02:28 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

^^^You should make a list with what Porsche marketing states the different modes do and what it actually happens.
I'll start :
2016 GT4.
Porsche states : activating Sport button rev matches on downshifts.

What it actually happens : Sport button engaged-rev match on downshifts
-rev match on upshifts
-increased cooling-upon activation coolant temperature immediately drops 15-20F,which will obviously bring engine oil temperature down. The same happens without having the Sport button engaged,the computer senses aggressive driving and commands better cooling,but not in normal driving like it does with the Sport button engaged.
-increased pops and burbles on the overrun
-completely different fuel mapping-confirmed by several tuners.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:46 PM
BusDriver
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 66 Posts

One complication with auto-blip is muscle memory confusion when switching back and forth between cars with and without the feature. E.g. Between the 911R and the CGT.

I like auto-blip on the track during competition as it reduces my work rate when going for best lap times.

Btw, I noticed that it is easy to override the auto blip on down shift in sport mode by just blipping myself. I tend to blip before the auto-blip and my blip overrides the auto-blip. That is a useful thing for my aging muscle memory and when I forget which car I'm driving!
Old 12-27-2016, 08:28 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Alex, great pics of some great cars and the obvious....what a great day to spend with family. Will definitely be memorable.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:23 AM
maxt
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 13 Posts

The autoblip on the R will certainly rev match better than me on most occasions...but for me it's automatic to heel and toe when downshifting, good or bad I don't want a computer to do it on my behalf, I'm glad you have to engage it and it's not "on" as a default setting. I tried a couple of times and it's mind blowing how good it is, but not for me...
Old 12-28-2016, 09:13 AM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neanicu
2016 GT4.

What it actually happens :
Can't say I noticed your last two points when I had my GT4 but then I only used the Sport button a couple of times. Are you saying it duplicates the Exhaust button?

Anyway, let's not get bogged down on a button. How about some more R driving impressions?
Old 12-28-2016, 10:31 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by turbofreeFLAT6
Are you saying it duplicates the Exhaust button?
No.
The exhaust button doesn't activate by pressing the Sport button,you have to do that separately. What I'm saying is,that by having both buttons activated you will get quite a bit more pops and burbles on the overrun,than you'd get if you only had the exhaust button depressed. That is living proof that the car is running a different fuel map in Sport mode.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:08 PM
MirageJHU
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
^^^You should make a list with what Porsche marketing states the different modes do and what it actually happens.
I'll start :
2016 GT4.

What it actually happens : Sport button engaged-rev match on downshifts
-rev match on upshifts
-increased cooling-upon activation coolant temperature immediately drops 15-20F,which will obviously bring engine oil temperature down. The same happens without having the Sport button engaged,the computer senses aggressive driving and commands better cooling,but not in normal driving like it does with the Sport button engaged.
Is there a thread on this in the GT4 section? I'd really like to read up on this. Sounds like with fuel mapping there'd be more power too?
Old 12-28-2016, 05:23 PM
BusDriver
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MirageJHU
Is there a thread on this in the GT4 section? I'd really like to read up on this. Sounds like with fuel mapping there'd be more power too?
No additional power. This mapping is only on closed throttle for extra flatulence.

Btw, 911R is nowhere near as flatulent as the GT4
Old 12-28-2016, 05:49 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MirageJHU
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9495...up-buy-28.html

Post #408

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
For those that are taking your car to the dyno a couple helpful hints:

1. Have fans direct air into the side air inlets and block air coming through the front radiators as best as possible. Cars don't like hot air...

2. Ensure the sport button is pressed. Especially important for those dynoing on the stock ecu. There are completely
different cam maps, ignition maps etc for sport mode compared to without.

3. Install the K&N air filters... the better breathing on the bottom needs less restriction in the intake!

if you have a Cobb Access port and want to check headers + stock tune and headers + pro tune, install the Cobb AP before your stock ecu runs and log them with the Cobb AP. This will also help to verify all is well with your particular car.

Last thing, for those who purchased the tune. It is not already in the Cobb AP, we will email it to you once you let us know your software version (when you install it on the car it will tell you). We're still tweaking it and will send tomorrow/Saturday

Also the version we've created is being run on 92 octane with 10% ethanol. We will likely use this as a base for everyone and ask that you send a log of your car on the street (cooler air, real load ranges) for us to tweak the tune for your octane and particular car...
Old 12-29-2016, 09:31 AM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

I like the sport button in the 997.2 RS (and all versions of 997 GT3?):
"When the Sport mode is switched on, the exhaust gas back pressure in the lower and middle ranges is reduced in the variable exhaust system. This serves to produce a marked increase in torque in the engine speed range from approx. 3000 rpm and 4000 rpm. The best values for vehicle acceleration and low-end torque are achieved when Sport mode is switched on."
It's genuine, no artificial flatulence - and in the RS4.0, my only experience of it, genuinely loud! It's also fun to leave it off because instead of the torque building linearly from 3000 rpm it comes in a with a big hit at 4,000.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:56 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by turbofreeFLAT6
I like the sport button in the 997.2 RS (and all versions of 997 GT3?):
"When the Sport mode is switched on, the exhaust gas back pressure in the lower and middle ranges is reduced in the variable exhaust system. This serves to produce a marked increase in torque in the engine speed range from approx. 3000 rpm and 4000 rpm. The best values for vehicle acceleration and low-end torque are achieved when Sport mode is switched on."
It's genuine, no artificial flatulence - and in the RS4.0, my only experience of it, genuinely loud! It's also fun to leave it off because instead of the torque building linearly from 3000 rpm it comes in a with a big hit at 4,000.
Saying a 997 4.0 is fun and loud was like Billy Joel singing to Christie Brinkley "I love u just the way you are".
Old 01-10-2017, 08:10 AM
Desert turbo
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 911r

Finally got to drive the 911r. This car is a special, feels like a refined carrera gt, that is the only car I can compare it to. Power wise it pulls much harder than the gt3rs, it's just flys thru the gears. It's easy to stall and takes some getting used to unless you own a cgt because rolling of the line requires similar producer of letting the computer apply the throttle to get rolling and then it's just like a normal manual. I used sport mode but enjoys blipping the throttle myself, again like the cgt. I can see why it's selling for $400-500k on open market. What a car! Dare I say the best 911 ever built.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:08 AM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Have you driven a 997.2 RS (3.8 or 4.0) as a comparison?
Old 01-10-2017, 09:33 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 648 Likes on 310 Posts

Pulls much harder than RS. Haven't heard that one.

Quick Reply: 911R Driving Impressions