Sponsored by:

991 GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 12:15 PM
boyko23
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
One by one the 918 guys will post assume the typical others will follow.

So tell us vs avoid the question what was the stack of computers during the 918 time doing on the passenger seat .
Collecting data and... adding weight, haha
Listen, I understand that for you Viper is the fastest thing on Earth, but this is a GT2 RS thread. So, please let's follow the main topic.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:17 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,258 Likes on 2,430 Posts

Not sure I see the point of comparing the 918 and Viper ACR. Completely different cars with different design approaches and technology, and one costs more than 5X the other. Both are very fast, but if pace is the priority, a proper race like a 991 Cup will smash them both.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:24 PM
wolfmobil
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
@tims16m

Tim, save your energy on typing. There is someone here who didn't get a 918 and is bitter with the VIP program and thus despises the 918 whenever he feels like.

There was some misguided idea about the 918 VIP program, it isn't the problem, the selling dealerships however are. IF someone bought as many Porsches from the same dealer, he/she/it would be one of the best customers of the dealership, a true VIP, with or without buying a 918. Thus, getting limited cars wouldn't be a problem. Hell even the 911R have original buyers that haven't bought a 918, perhaps it was just the fact that that person thinks he is the biggest whale when in fact there are a lot more bigger whales than he think in the same water.
Second that. I wasn't brave enough to buy 918, but I have bought lots of Porsches from my dealer. As a result he treats me as VIP. I am not guaranteed the cars I want, but I eventually do get them without paying over the sticker. Thats how I got my 911R.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:50 PM
908/3fan
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 991 GT2

Hello guys, i have a question. Why Porsche didn't make a GT2 and made only the GT2 RS? Does anyone know if their going to introduce a GT2 model later this or next year?
Old 08-29-2017, 03:24 PM
CHADW
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 908/3fan
Hello guys, i have a question. Why Porsche didn't make a GT2 and made only the GT2 RS? Does anyone know if their going to introduce a GT2 model later this or next year?
I think somehow they ran out of time. Maybe the Exclusive Turbo S took its place. It's certainly even more profitable.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:47 PM
Justin@Euroclassics
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Last edited by Justin@Euroclassics; 08-29-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:28 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 908/3fan
Here's a good answer to your question.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post14297086

Originally Posted by TomTomTom
I left Weissach before the actual work on the GT2 RS but the argumentation that was presented to me from AP's number 2, was:

The 996GT2/997GT2 was driven by guys that wanted either a "Turbo for the track" or a "GT3 with more HP".
The GT2 turned out to be a compromise: Softer than the 997 GT3 but significantly more "track focused" than the Turbo.

In the end both customers were not really satisfied as it didn't meet their needs. Therefore they decided to go with a Turbo / Turbo S strategy from the beginning and only offered the GT2 as RS with a more radical setup.

The "normal" GT2 was always the "least GT" car Porsche made in terms of suspension trim, etc.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:33 PM
tims16m
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Not sure I see the point of comparing the 918 and Viper ACR. Completely different cars with different design approaches and technology, and one costs more than 5X the other. Both are very fast, but if pace is the priority, a proper race like a 991 Cup will smash them both.
Yes, two very different cars and different design philosophies. The ACR is highly modified Viper designed with super aggressive aero, extreme weight reduction, and super sticky tires treadwear rating of like 20.The dodge design team set out with the single focus to set track records across the US per SRT engineer Erich Hueschele. Essentially a couple of modifications could make this into a race/track car. The 918 wasn't designed with that singular use in mind but still has an extremely high performance envelope. I would hate to see what would happen to an ACR driven over less than ideal conditions, like snow or wet conditions.

I do wonder about the computer in the passenger seat of the 918 run. Doug are you thinking that it will boost power or actively boost performance? Honestly, I really don't think there is much that the computer is doing, its more likely that its on board monitoring. For the record run I'm sure all the power delivery is set to maximum available. Unless you know something about this, its just speculation then. I've heard that the actual production 918s are faster than the prototype cars. So what did that computer do if the production cars don't need a huge computer sitting in the passenger seat? Flux capacitor? just kidding.

This whole cluster is because some people didn't get a GT2RS allocation on the first round. There is no way that 250 VIP allocations can corner the market on the GT2RS. I would say thats possible for Ferrari market but the Porsche market is significantly bigger. This is not a limited car, I recall Andreas Pruniger saying in a posted interview that Porsche will meet demand for the GT2RS. You may not get one of the first cars but it is likely you will get one in the subsequent rounds. The .1GT3RS was thought to be of limited supply but production kept coming to the point that there maybe an oversupply. Now, its a buyer's market for the .1GT3RS.

If you have a friend that owns a Porsche dealership, why not ask him for an allocation on the GT2RS? I've heard that works in the Ferrari world. At least you can avoid all this back and forth bantering.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:26 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by tims16m
Yes, two very different cars and different design philosophies. The ACR is highly modified Viper designed with super aggressive aero, extreme weight reduction, and super sticky tires treadwear rating of like 20.The dodge design team set out with the single focus to set track records across the US per SRT engineer Erich Hueschele. Essentially a couple of modifications could make this into a race/track car. The 918 wasn't designed with that singular use in mind but still has an extremely high performance envelope. I would hate to see what would happen to an ACR driven over less than ideal conditions, like snow or wet conditions.

I do wonder about the computer in the passenger seat of the 918 run. Doug are you thinking that it will boost power or actively boost performance? Honestly, I really don't think there is much that the computer is doing, its more likely that its on board monitoring. For the record run I'm sure all the power delivery is set to maximum available. Unless you know something about this, its just speculation then. I've heard that the actual production 918s are faster than the prototype cars. So what did that computer do if the production cars don't need a huge computer sitting in the passenger seat? Flux capacitor? just kidding.

This whole cluster is because some people didn't get a GT2RS allocation on the first round. There is no way that 250 VIP allocations can corner the market on the GT2RS. I would say thats possible for Ferrari market but the Porsche market is significantly bigger. This is not a limited car, I recall Andreas Pruniger saying in a posted interview that Porsche will meet demand for the GT2RS. You may not get one of the first cars but it is likely you will get one in the subsequent rounds. The .1GT3RS was thought to be of limited supply but production kept coming to the point that there maybe an oversupply. Now, its a buyer's market for the .1GT3RS.

If you have a friend that owns a Porsche dealership, why not ask him for an allocation on the GT2RS? I've heard that works in the Ferrari world. At least you can avoid all this back and forth bantering.
Dealers got 1 GT2RS allocation - no way would I ask to take that slot. I placed a deposit with the dealer three years ago for a GT2RS and that dealer sold they returned my deposit.

My Viper GTS-R it comes only one way as is the one at the ring many parts are not carbon fiber like other Vipers full A/C regular carpets electric windows full nav radio and is the same one at the Ring - it's not stripped in any way like my SV 16M or Speciale.

Computers on the passenger seat - 918 guys know why it was there prefer they answer as it's a serious hazard to have flying around in case of an incident so it certainly was worth that risk.

But for fun - it was manipulating either the suspension or adding juice perhaps both. The team of racing engineers knew where times could be reduced anyone who has raced sees the same thing but doesn't have the luxury of a computer enhancing the car on track.

On another note - the Viper ran today it had a bad tire early but on a later clean run it was ahead at midway 1.5 seconds of the 7:03 but caught traffic. They will run for a final time Friday under 7 is doable - fingers crossed they get that chance. It's probably one of the coolest stories in the history of the Ring this is as good as it gets world class level for 130k.

Anyway - this thread should be about the 2RS specifying ordering driving impressions but it will most likely be about ADM.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 08-29-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:38 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by boyko23
Collecting data and... adding weight, haha
Listen, I understand that for you Viper is the fastest thing on Earth, but this is a GT2 RS thread. So, please let's follow the main topic.
Have you ever raced gone all out in a car on track - doubtful. No one in their right mind tosses a stack of computers in the passenger seat for absolutely no reason - actually surprised Porsche even risked it.

You can divert and ask to stay on topic it's your boys who brought up the 918 not I.

Don't be condescending I never said it was the fastest thing on earth what you said was the times aren't real and I showed you clearly you are wrong established racers and SCCA are more credible than Porsche at a closed run at the Ring and the 13 track times prove it - I too would add a haha it's what one does when they can't address something.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:58 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Someone, make it stop...
Old 08-29-2017, 08:10 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

The Viper ACR has a lot of aero and as a result the car grips like crazy in corners and the top end acceleration suffers. So the 918 with more power and less aero (=better top end) can outdo it on the ring. And on most racetracks the aero helps a lot more than the top end acceleration deficit hurts and the ACR gets the better the lap time. This doesn't sound like a conspiracy to me - it sounds pretty reasonable.

The GT2RS seems like a great send off for the 991 generation. I would love one if I could afford it.

Last edited by ace37; 08-29-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:51 PM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Available allocations

If anyone is interested, Porsche of Arlington has 2 open allocations, a Sept build and an Oct build. If someone follows up, kindly post what they are asking over MSRP.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

^^ If it checks out, finally a good post...
Old 08-29-2017, 09:36 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,266 Posts

Originally Posted by trice9
If anyone is interested, Porsche of Arlington has 2 open allocations, a Sept build and an Oct build. If someone follows up, kindly post what they are asking over MSRP.
I might call over there tomorrow for chits & giggles to find out what their ADM is for the car. Whatever number they tell me, I'll laugh at them and proceed to hang up.

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS