Sponsored by:

991 GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 02:16 PM
tims16m
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 43 Posts

Yup!

This is what happens when you have a freaking hurricane going through your backyard, I have a lot of idle time to sit and contemplate a bunch of ridiculous statements. Bad thing is I've got 3 more days of this weather and can't go anywhere its flooded most places.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:57 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by fuddman; 08-28-2017 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Not written well
Old 08-26-2017, 04:17 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
You've obviously never used, probably never even seen, the tax forms that 918 owners use.
I'm not sure what you're getting at; but, since you bring up the subject, I, actually, despise tax forms. And I don't use them as a measure of anything.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:01 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 412 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
You're confused and so is he.

918 cars were being sold even through 2016. As you can see from this press release from, non other than, TA TA - Porsche.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300483122.html

There's other stuff out there showing 918 cars were sold beyond 2014. There's a new one, being offered right now. Been sitting on the dealers lot for a couple of years. Autotrader.

I've come to believe this kind of confusion is commonplace among people (especially auto press people) who are gaga, so to speak, over a car. They are easily convinced a name on a dealer list is a sold car. Everyone else understands a car is not sold until money changes hands and papers are signed.

It, still, surprises me a Porsche Canada CEO, with all his experience, got suckered into saying that.
When the car "sold" out they weren't all built. It took time to build all the cars that were sold which is why they were delivered and reported as sold after 2014. When I went for the test drive with a friend in Sept that year I believe somewhere around 50ish of the allocations were left and they were all sold shortly thereafter.

In addition you would see "new" ones now because dealer owners bought them and probably never registered the car. You couldn't get a 918 into the US with out it being bought already. The one used in the auto show for 2014 had to be bought by PCNA before it would be sent for the show.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:35 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow. Another example how desirable PORSCHE cars are.

LINK:
http://www.rmsothebys.com/mo17/monte...spyder/1703933

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by tims16m
Good Grief, Thought this was a GT2RS thread!! A lot of whining here about the 918 and what they think owners are worried about. Really sounds like sour grapes for not buying a 918 when they were widely available to everyone who wanted one. Porsche was not selective about allocations like the way Ferrari does with any of their limited car, i.e. Laferrari. The 918 is still one of the best performance cars 3 years after its debut. Arguably, the best performing and technically advanced of the 3 hypercars. So just this year, it took a specially prepared Lambo to take the production car record for the Nurburgring from the 918, which it held for ~3 years. Progress is to advance beyond the previous generation. If the GT2RS will outperform the 918 thats awesome, then it will certainly outperform the best that Ferrari and Mclaren have to offer in the Laferrari and P1.

Also as far as worried about market value, I doubt most 918 owners are panicking yet. If anyone saw the latest RM auction, a Non Wiessach 918 went for 1.8 million all in.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:50 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Four Liter
Somehow I don't think a 918 owner is going to be '' out of money '' after buying a 175K GT3 and will need to pass on a GT2 RS .
+1
Out of money....lol
Old 08-27-2017, 12:20 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Good Grief, Thought this was a GT2RS thread!! A lot of whining here about the 918 and what they think owners are worried about. Really sounds like sour grapes for not buying a 918 when they were widely available to everyone who wanted one. Porsche was not selective about allocations like the way Ferrari does with any of their limited car, i.e. Laferrari. The 918 is still one of the best performance cars 3 years after its debut. Arguably, the best performing and technically advanced of the 3 hypercars. So just this year, it took a specially prepared Lambo to take the production car record for the Nurburgring from the 918, which it held for ~3 years. Progress is to advance beyond the previous generation. If the GT2RS will outperform the 918 thats awesome, then it will certainly outperform the best that Ferrari and Mclaren have to offer in the Laferrari and P1.

Also as far as worried about market value, I doubt most 918 owners are panicking yet. If anyone saw the latest RM auction, a Non Wiessach 918 went for 1.8 million all in.
GT2RS and Performante are low 6:50's and the Viper is struggling to hit under 7 minutes but kicked the 918's rear around the US at 13 tracks ... if there was a car juiced for the Ring it was the 918

Specially prepared Lambo ... it's just not true unlike the stack of computers in the passenger seat in the 918.

Can't wait to learn if the dealers truly have unlimited 2RS or they do not - Porsche should learn from Ferrari Ford etc and have a customer list on special models.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 08-27-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:36 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,726 Likes on 5,123 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
You've obviously never used, probably never even seen, the tax forms that 918 owners use.
I'm not sure what you're getting at; but, since you bring up the subject, I, actually, despise tax forms. And I don't use them as a measure of anything.
Well, that certainly explains quite a bit.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:40 AM
tims16m
Racer

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
GT2RS and Performante are low 6:50's and the Viper is struggling to hit under 7 minutes but kicked the 918's rear around the US at 13 tracks ... if there was a car juiced for the Ring it was the 918

Specially prepared Lambo ... it's just not true unlike the stack of computers in the passenger seat in the 918.

Can't wait to learn if the dealers truly have unlimited 2RS or they do not - Porsche should learn from Ferrari Ford etc and have a customer list on special models.
We all know that tires can improve the performance significantly, so I'm not going to go into that dispute again as that has been argued ad nauseam here and elsewhere. The 918 is a 3yr old car in a one off design to showcase its technology. Its a testament to the design that it has held the benchmark for this long.

If you don't like Porsche's sales structure thats fine, maybe its better to go elsewhere. There are many fine carmakers out producing cars with incredible performance.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:27 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

We all know that tires can improve the performance significantly, so I'm not going to go into that dispute again as that has been argued ad nauseam here and elsewhere. The 918 is a 3yr old car in a one off design to showcase its technology. Its a testament to the design that it has held the benchmark for this long.

If you don't like Porsche's sales structure thats fine, maybe its better to go elsewhere. There are many fine carmakers out producing cars with incredible performance.
It's not a 3 year old car - 918 has been tweaked updated refreshed and it lost at 13 tracks to the Viper at 140k. The Viper runs at the Ring are just above 7m.

Agree tires but Lamborghini nor Viper cheated also agree there are many great brands but owning CGT GT3RS it was my intent on collecting P cars only to find out there's no way to order what was stated to be a car available to the public and the dealer prefers to sell to brokers at adm. Being newer to the brand it's the complete opposite of the other brands at this level. Lamborghini nor Ferrari dealers can't even advertise a limited edition or special new car it's offered very quietly if the buyer backs out P dealers order for themselves to hold an auction why this is allowed vs building for a local customer is what it is - anyway lesson learned.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:31 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

In terms of getting priority in aquiring PORSCHE GT cars as your intent is to "collect" them, I do not see anything different than what Ferrari does. The limited production Ferrari nowadays (e.g., Speciale, F12tdf) requires prospective buyers to buy multiple Ferraris and not cherry pick only the limited and numbered edition. I have to give props to Ferrari as dealers are not supposed to sell their cars over MSRP.

I am not sure if you bought your CGT and GT3RS new or used. I do not know if you bought them from the same dealer. If your intent was to "collect", I am surprised you were not aware of the 918 VIP Program as that would have assured you of at least first dibs on any PORSCHE GT cars.

I see you have a Viper ACR. I too have one (Viper ACR-Extreme 1 of 28). If the Dodge Demon tickles your fancy, have you tried your luck if you can get a Dodge Demon? To me no luck because they are only making 3,300 copies supposedly and each dealer only gets one. There are originally 3,700 dealerships, with each dealer getting one Dodge Demon only. Therefor there will be Dodge dealers that will not get a Dodge Demon. The Dodge dealer (third biggest Dodge Viper dealer) where I bought two Viper ACR's from, will only get one Dodge Demon and the owner will have it and no intention of selling it.

In my experience you have to establish a very good relationship with a dealer along with being a regular buyer of their product. For the most part that "relationship" helps. Only PORSCHE have this VIP Program and all other car manufacturers have VIP customers. There is a difference on those two concepts. Whereas in PORSCHE, those who are in the VIP Program by default are also their VIP customers.

If all else fails, there are certainly other car brands that are collectible, quick, fast, and cool cars as well. We all have choices. By the way, you do have cool toys in your garage.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

It's not a 3 year old car - 918 has been tweaked updated refreshed and it lost at 13 tracks to the Viper at 140k. The Viper runs at the Ring are just above 7m.

Agree tires but Lamborghini nor Viper cheated also agree there are many great brands but owning CGT GT3RS it was my intent on collecting P cars only to find out there's no way to order what was stated to be a car available to the public and the dealer prefers to sell to brokers at adm. Being newer to the brand it's the complete opposite of the other brands at this level. Lamborghini nor Ferrari dealers can't even advertise a limited edition or special new car it's offered very quietly if the buyer backs out P dealers order for themselves to hold an auction why this is allowed vs building for a local customer is what it is - anyway lesson learned.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:29 PM
tims16m
Racer

That's funny! I haven't heard of any tweaks or updates to performance for the 918. Is there a HP increase or a handling modification? it is essentially the same car it was when it was released.

On the other hand the Huracan performante, is a significantly different car than the original car. Increased HP, weight reduction, suspension modification, and complex active aero, oh also special tires. It will be interesting to see if a production car as delivered can reproduce the times of the prototype. I'm not denying the car did 6:52, thats great, its PROGRESS. You do know that the Nurburgring track has been changed since the 918 did its record run 3 yrs ago?

Thats great for the ACR. Viper as well has been updated significantly in the course of its production. It is very close to a race car and rougher than I would like as a weekend car. Is your viper an ACR-Extreme? That's the one that set the records and beat the 918. Hopefully that has checked all the boxes for you!
Old 08-27-2017, 08:17 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

You're confused and so is he.

918 cars were being sold even through 2016. As you can see from this press release from, non other than, TA TA - Porsche.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300483122.html

There's other stuff out there showing 918 cars were sold beyond 2014. There's a new one, being offered right now. Been sitting on the dealers lot for a couple of years. Autotrader.

I've come to believe this kind of confusion is commonplace among people (especially auto press people) who are gaga, so to speak, over a car. They are easily convinced a name on a dealer list is a sold car. Everyone else understands a car is not sold until money changes hands and papers are signed.

It, still, surprises me a Porsche Canada CEO, with all his experience, got suckered into saying that.
THAT, is absolutely cool!!!!

Where in your 'quote' is there listing 918 sales?

But never mind, you the nobody knows more about 918s than I do

Seriously, you could probably pick a fight about 918 with just about anybody else here and you might be able to bluff them off. Except, me.

Are you willing to bet on what you claimed? How confident are you?

Let's do a little bet, if you are right, I will buy you a 918 at current market price. And if you are wrong, you will buy me one at current market price? I want mine in Basalt Black with black interior and Weissach pack. Oh, I also want the dash signed by Dr. Walliser. Dated please. Just like my own.

It's only about a 2 million bet (car cost you about 1.8mil, but you might have to spend 200k to get Frank to sign the car), I am sure if you feel you are in the right that's a sure win.

It's only 4 million dollars bet after al either way, I am sure the cocky self of yours will feel like you have a sure win.

So, it's deal?

But, being the kind person I am, I can save you 200k, I can just call up Frank and have him sign the car after you loses when I go pick it up in Weissach.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:26 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

^ awesome
Old 08-27-2017, 08:28 PM
CHADW
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

^ Too American.

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS