Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 06:01 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

So, who will be the first Rennlister to send their GT2RS to BGB for a proper manny tranny?
Old 08-30-2017, 06:44 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
If true, it makes me wonder why dealers wouldn't just submit V070's instead of constructing "lists?" By doing the former, it appears the dealer could avoid being the bad guy that selects who gets one. Instead, someone up the chain would be blamed.

On second thought, I can think of one possible reason dealers would prefer not to submit a V070. That is if a final price is necessary before that code can be accepted in the system. Pure guess.

I don't know the difference between the dealer order versus customer order. Is the dealer order an order for a lot car?

Dealers who are not placing orders in the V070 or even V200 system for allocations are causing Porsche to wonder what the actual demand is for the GT cars. If you are a dealer and have no intention of ordering these cars for anyone and just ordering white ones to mark up $30,000 then you probably don't care to enter any V070's. Price has no bearing on entering a V070 or not. We had over 90 folks wanting a GT3 and took deposits on way less than that number and have those guys in V070 in the system. Again I hope that Porsche will reward this system to the dealers using it and get us some more cars to sell.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:58 PM
thegoat
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonnen Porsche
Dealers who are not placing orders in the V070 or even V200 system for allocations are causing Porsche to wonder what the actual demand is for the GT cars. If you are a dealer and have no intention of ordering these cars for anyone and just ordering white ones to mark up $30,000 then you probably don't care to enter any V070's. Price has no bearing on entering a V070 or not. We had over 90 folks wanting a GT3 and took deposits on way less than that number and have those guys in V070 in the system. Again I hope that Porsche will reward this system to the dealers using it and get us some more cars to sell.
That is some serious demand for the GT3. How does that compare to the 2RS demand?
Old 08-30-2017, 07:47 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow! A very forthright answer. Thank you for that.

My take on your comment is that if you're on a "list," call your dealer, tell him you'd rather he put you in a V070 status.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:36 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by thegoat
That is some serious demand for the GT3. How does that compare to the 2RS demand?
This Gen 2 car has been over twice the demand of the Gen 1 cars. GT2RS was not close to this number either. I do have over 20 guys wanting a GT2RS but not close to 100....Perhaps Porsche should shut down standard 911 production for 3 months and just build GT3's only....

Old 08-30-2017, 10:40 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,162 Likes on 471 Posts

This Gen 2 car has been over twice the demand of the Gen 1 cars. GT2RS was not close to this number either. I do have over 20 guys wanting a GT2RS but not close to 100....Perhaps Porsche should shut down standard 911 production for 3 months and just build GT3's only....

that's insane. Why are so many people suddenly interested in track based cars? Most of the people I know who are into Porsches readily admit that these cars are not for them and prefer the basic 991. Is it just old fashioned one-upsmanship?
Old 08-30-2017, 10:43 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got this text from my SA at Porsche of Plano and he has never given me false information. Total GT2RS allocations for the US, outside of the VIP program, for the entire run is 301 cars! That's it. They will get 3 cars only. Further, only 2 of their 4 VIP owners chose to get cars.
This is in great contrast to what Porsche implied early on.
CJ, can you verify this info is correct, 301 non VIP cars for the US?
Old 08-30-2017, 10:58 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Is anyone here seriously considering tracking this $350k car? If not tracking, then what would you do with it on the street, and where?
Old 08-30-2017, 11:02 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
If true, it makes me wonder why dealers wouldn't just submit V070's instead of constructing "lists?" By doing the former, it appears the dealer could avoid being the bad guy that selects who gets one. Instead, someone up the chain would be blamed.

On second thought, I can think of one possible reason dealers would prefer not to submit a V070. That is if a final price is necessary before that code can be accepted in the system. Pure guess.

I don't know the difference between the dealer order versus customer order. Is the dealer order an order for a lot car?

If dealers entered all the V070 into the system from all the people that showed interest, those orders will be assigned to that particular customer once it is accepted and processed and confirmed and also priced, and the dealer can't mark it up with ADM as the original ordering contract will be signed and dotted and dated.

By not ordering enough cars and taking quite a few as their 'own config', dealers can mark these 'floating' ones up with ADM.

GT cars are all supposed to be build to order and sold cars, none should be sitting in a showroom as a 'stock/lot' car.

Dealers bypass that with bogus customer information to get a 'sold' car as a 'stock' car for mark up purposes.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:19 PM
thegoat
Instructor

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I just got this text from my SA at Porsche of Plano and he has never given me false information. Total GT2RS allocations for the US, outside of the VIP program, for the entire run is 301 cars! That's it. They will get 3 cars only. Further, only 2 of their 4 VIP owners chose to get cars.
This is in great contrast to what Porsche implied early on.
CJ, can you verify this info is correct, 301 non VIP cars for the US?
Now that's one way to crush positive expectations!

Aren't there like 200 US dealers? So, VIPs plus 1-2 others? Awful. Fingers crossed I'm that one.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:44 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Is anyone here seriously considering tracking this $350k car? If not tracking, then what would you do with it on the street, and where?
Absolutely I will track it!

Some here like to over-analyze "rational" use cases for such a cool car. Anyone who purchased a 930 in the old days surely had a touch of 935 Walter Mitty going on.

Same today. A road worthy 935 with rear-wheel-steer, a smart diff, and stability control is sent from heaven to all Walter Mittys with a big enough check book.

Freeway on ramps are going to be soooo much fun.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:15 AM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
If dealers entered all the V070 into the system from all the people that showed interest, those orders will be assigned to that particular customer once it is accepted and processed and confirmed and also priced, and the dealer can't mark it up with ADM as the original ordering contract will be signed and dotted and dated.

By not ordering enough cars and taking quite a few as their 'own config', dealers can mark these 'floating' ones up with ADM.

GT cars are all supposed to be build to order and sold cars, none should be sitting in a showroom as a 'stock/lot' car.

Dealers bypass that with bogus customer information to get a 'sold' car as a 'stock' car for mark up purposes.
I concur with your portrayal of what is happening. To what extent it's happening among all 142 (or so ) dealers, I'm not sure.

Since I'm not, in a manner of speaking, the favorite son of any dealer, I'm going to have to talk my way into a car. Learning of this V070 status may help me do that.

I'm inclined to agree with the gentleman from Sonnen who thinks Porsche, for a number of reasons, is genuinely trying to satisfy customer demand for GT cars. But, by the actions you've described, some dealers may be frustrating that goal. I would use that information.

My strategy might be to ask the dealer to put me in that status instead of just "listing" me. If I get a lot of resistance to this, I might call PNA and discuss it with them. In this regard, many will think I'm We'll see.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:12 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,179 Likes on 599 Posts

As a dealer I built a list for GT3, stopped taking names at 38. I'll never get that many.

I then asked for deposits from the first 10-15 GT3 guys. I entered 29 of the 38 guys (or something like that) into v070.

I received nowhere near that amount of allocations, same issue at every dealer. Every dealer has 20-40 legit guys for a GT3 or GT3RS, no doubt. I have a super tight legit 25-30. That's 3000-5000 total GT cars over the next 3 years in USA. That is feasible. Porsche makes 30,000 911's a year. So factor potential capacity is 3,000 worldwide a year? A lot of guys can afford to KEEP a Gt3 and an RS or a 2RS.

The biggest issue is secondary supplier production and quality control. Expensive components like CF spoilers, CF seats, PCCB rotors etc can delay the "on time production model" a lot. Imagine a carbon bucket seat recall. God forbid. That would ruin the entire run of cars.

I have received NO numerical confirmation of allocations (1000 world wide? No idea. 2000? No idea) for the GT2RS. I was told over 2000 GT3's would land in usa. That's a fair amount considering the 3RS and a new GT4 and the GT2RS will land eventually within similar windows (next 30 months).

GT2RS:

In regards to the VIP thing- we have one guy here with a 918. He ordered his car. We have yet to receive any other allocations. I have 12 legit guys on my list, I have 10 v70's.

As dealers we call around...and as customers you know that some dealers operating on various wavelengths have various approaches.

I'm obviously not anywhere near cut from the cloth of the average car dealer let alone porsche dealer and and into the double digits in terms of "stern reminders" for speaking out too loudly and complaining about other dealers. So I'll leave it at that.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:16 AM
thegoat
Instructor

Wow, respect the candor
Old 08-31-2017, 01:20 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I just have to Brett and CJ for their responses above.

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS