Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 02:24 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do we have an facts on the water spray intercoolers? I've heard 3 laps of 'ring before reservoir needs refilled, which at say 21 minutes hard running is borderline annoying on a track day, especially if real-world useage is worse.
Have also heard that it runs down in about the same time as a tank of fuel, which would be a lot better.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:34 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Officially going to pass on this. Plenty of turbo cars to choose from, and plenty of 300k cars to choose from as well.

I think real check writing demand will be surprisingly low on this car. Unless porsche throws a # limit or a plaque on it - I just don't see people lining up to throw 335k with tax on a 911. I also think these will be discounted, and depreciate.

It's an impressive piece of engineering for sure, but I think they are crazy trying to make so much margin per car.
Didn't even trigger a call or email to my dealer. This doesn't interest me. I had a 2008 GT2 new, but back then, it was a manual and I think it was under $200K.

In today's world of prevalent hybrid, twin-turbo and supercharged technology, achieving a high horsepower is easy. Achieving high horsepower with a naturally aspirated engine that revs high and fast and smooth while retaining a factory warranty is hard. Having that engine in a manual is a bonus. A few cars today have such an engine, but only one of those can be had with a manual transmission (991.2 GT3). I would buy two of those before I would buy one of these GT2RS. Better yet, I can buy a brand new 991.2 GT3 and buy a used 458. Then I will have two awesome engines and two great but different transmissions.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:47 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone know if the car retains the turbo s integrated dry sump rather than having a true dry sump like the gt3/gt3rs?
Old 07-02-2017, 03:20 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 166 Posts

Does anyone know how different the engine internals are from a regular ttS 3.8L? Is the increase power mostly just a result of bigger turbos/higher boost? In this case is it expected to have a greater turbo lag than the other models? This may lessen the fun of driving this car on the street.

Jim
Old 07-02-2017, 03:24 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Does anyone know how different the engine internals are from a regular ttS 3.8L? Is the increase power mostly just a result of bigger turbos/higher boost? In this case is it expected to have a greater turbo lag than the other models? This may lessen the fun of driving this car on the street.

Jim
From the website:

The source of its natural authority: the six-cylinder, twin-turbo boxer engine at the rear, four-valve technology, variable turbine geometry (VTG) with large turbochargers and newly designed charged air system, direct fuel injection (DFI) and VarioCam Plus. And transmission directly above the rear axle

Variable turbine geometry (VTG)

The variable turbine geometry of the twin water-cooled turbochargers arranged in parallel directs the incoming exhaust gas towards the turbine wheel via electronically controlled, moveable vanes in such a way that the ratios of both a ‘small’ and ‘large’ turbocharger can be achieved. VTG therefore largely eliminates the target conflict of a normal turbocharger – and enables optimum aspect ratios to be achieved in every operational state.

At low revs, this results in a high turbine speed and thus a high charge pressure – for increased engine filling efficiency, greater torque and considerably improved performance. The torque curve reaches a higher level much earlier – and then maintains it. At high revs on the other hand, the full potential of a large charger can be utilised by adjusting the vanes – a lower exhaust back pressure for maximum performance. Thanks to the variable turbine geometry, the dynamic build-up of charge pressure produces an improved response.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:32 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
From the website:

The source of its natural authority: the six-cylinder, twin-turbo boxer engine at the rear, four-valve technology, variable turbine geometry (VTG) with large turbochargers and newly designed charged air system, direct fuel injection (DFI) and VarioCam Plus. And transmission directly above the rear axle

Variable turbine geometry (VTG)

The variable turbine geometry of the twin water-cooled turbochargers arranged in parallel directs the incoming exhaust gas towards the turbine wheel via electronically controlled, moveable vanes in such a way that the ratios of both a ‘small’ and ‘large’ turbocharger can be achieved. VTG therefore largely eliminates the target conflict of a normal turbocharger – and enables optimum aspect ratios to be achieved in every operational state.

At low revs, this results in a high turbine speed and thus a high charge pressure – for increased engine filling efficiency, greater torque and considerably improved performance. The torque curve reaches a higher level much earlier – and then maintains it. At high revs on the other hand, the full potential of a large charger can be utilised by adjusting the vanes – a lower exhaust back pressure for maximum performance. Thanks to the variable turbine geometry, the dynamic build-up of charge pressure produces an improved response.
Agreed! The VTG is a great advancement which I think was introduced in the 997 turbos to lessen the lag. I have always thought that bigger turbos with or without VTG have more power but inherently greater lag. Another question is why the turbos from Ferrari and McLaren sound a bit better and rev significantly higher? Is it just because of the V8 engine?

Jim
Old 07-02-2017, 03:48 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Very disappointing the sound from the GT2.
A turbo engine can't hold a candle to a NA one in purity of sound. Yes, the GT2 won't sound bad by itself, but back to back, the difference will be obvious. The GT2 sounds uninspiring, with a low pitch, and like it revs really low as well. Nothing compared to even a Cayman GTS (which has PSE), let alone a high-revving GT3. BUT all turbo cars are like that. The good news is it doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner, like the Turbo S does.

And VTG improves turbo lag, but doesn't eliminate it, especially at almost 190 HP/liter. As somebody mentioned, I much rather own a 991.2 GT3. The new GT2 seems more like a Turbo SS than a true RS. Also curious if internals are beefed up vs the Turbo S. With the difference in HP, I say it has to. And at that output per liter, hopefully it won't turn into another GT3 engine fiasco. We'll find out soon enough.

Last edited by JCtx; 07-02-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:05 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
Do we have an facts on the water spray intercoolers? I've heard 3 laps of 'ring before reservoir needs refilled, which at say 21 minutes hard running is borderline annoying on a track day, especially if real-world useage is worse.
Have also heard that it runs down in about the same time as a tank of fuel, which would be a lot better.
I suspect that the fuel tank also is empty after three laps on the ring.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:23 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
I suspect that the fuel tank also is empty after three laps on the ring.
If not, the driver hasn't been on the throttle a lot...
Old 07-02-2017, 04:28 PM
e6tme
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
Dear Lord who was driving? That was embarrassing.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:33 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
A turbo engine can't hold a candle to a NA one in purity of sound. Yes, the GT2 won't sound bad by itself, but back to back, the difference will be obvious.

And VTG improves turbo lag, but doesn't eliminate it, especially at almost 190 HP/liter. As somebody mentioned, I much rather own a 991.2 GT3. The new GT2 seems more like a Turbo SS than a true RS. Also curious if internals are beefed up vs the Turbo S. With the difference in HP, I say it has to. And at that output per liter, hopefully it won't turn into another GT3 engine fiasco. We'll find out soon enough.
Techart have a 720PS kit (for the Turbo S) whose hardware is bigger VTGs and exhaust, this kit runs 920NM and has a decent warranty. The GT2RS has the same maximum torque as the Turbo S and doesn't rev any higher so I would think the internals will not have been changed.

The difficulty of running 700hp with VTGs has always been the heat management and Porsche have gradually used technology to win this battle, the expansion intake system, bigger turbos and of course the intercooler water sprayer have made 700hp a reality.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:35 PM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by e6tme
Dear Lord who was driving? That was embarrassing.
A clutch would have made that donut much easier

He forgot to pull both paddles i guess
Old 07-02-2017, 04:38 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounded like the TC was still on
Old 07-02-2017, 04:55 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Agreed! The VTG is a great advancement which I think was introduced in the 997 turbos to lessen the lag. I have always thought that bigger turbos with or without VTG have more power but inherently greater lag.
This should be asked from 991 turbo boys, but I suspect that VTG turbos combined with PDK can be programmed to eliminate lag to nonexistent. Even with manual car lag is much lass than with conventional turbos. I haven't driven VTG+PDK, but VTG+manual over 40k km, much of it at track. There might also be an antilag system, in those Goodwood videos there's odd popping exhaust note. Either the driver uses flappers and drives against rev limiter or it's antilag popping.

RS's turbos have apparently bigger turbines than previous models, just using 991 turbo S's units and just increasing boost would rise backpressure and thus also EGT and IAT. IC water spray could be added because IC placing is (has always been) far from optimal, limiting both size and flow across them. Of course there's aerospace quality ICs (used in racing), but €10k+/pair can be limiting factor even in high end car like this one.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:06 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,361 Likes on 2,482 Posts

The unapologetic brutality of the GT2 RS is appealing. For a properly rich person who likes this sort of car, seems a no brainer to get one. I certainly would - makes me drool.

But for those who need to care about the cost and can't afford a fleet of cars like this, I suspect that the next GT3 RS is going to be a better proposition: much less cost, lap time not far behind, NA sound and response, etc.

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS