Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 05:55 AM
908/3fan
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I want one of those! This car is a track/road beast.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:03 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GMG, How about a post on your exhaust mods and track set up? Best, Allan
Old 04-02-2016, 01:39 AM
ggrady
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone,

First of all i think Dodge should provide lifetime warranty and maintenance to CJ, for starting such a great, informative thread.

I've read every post in this thread and found more info than the Viper forums combined. I am ready to pull the trigger on this amazing car.

This is my current garage and as you can guess i am almost color blind.
14 ML 63 Performance
15 F-Type R ( the big boy real wheel )
13 RR-Sport-wife

For the ACR i would like to choose a real color and go with this:

Gunmetal matte ACR Extreme. Did anyone see this color live?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:43 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will not be disappointed with the ACR. Fit finish and build quality are excellent. I have not been able to drive mine enough to get it broken in yet so no track data yet but I'll post data when I get there. The silliness of the pricing of the Porsche specials just turns me off so I personally have no interest in them and have moved on.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:09 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by ggrady
Hello Everyone, First of all i think Dodge should provide lifetime warranty and maintenance to CJ, for starting such a great, informative thread. I've read every post in this thread and found more info than the Viper forums combined. I am ready to pull the trigger on this amazing car. This is my current garage and as you can guess i am almost color blind. 14 ML 63 Performance 15 F-Type R ( the big boy real wheel ) 13 RR-Sport-wife For the ACR i would like to choose a real color and go with this: Gunmetal matte ACR Extreme. Did anyone see this color live? Any advice would be appreciated.
See if you can get a sample from them- I think their matte colors have turned out well so far in pics I have seen.

Only worry for me so far has been replacing my brake pads. Make sure you get a second pair before you need them.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:07 AM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

How are the ceramic discs on these? Do people tend to keep them on or replace with iron alternatives?

A group of 911 enthusiasts in Europe are all looking at a group buy of these as they look such immense fun and back to basics thrills. We have a trader who can get them for us and most likely also replacement parts. The big question mark for us is maintenance as there is no network here like Porsche offers, with all its OPC and independent garages.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:44 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 83 Posts

I think this thread is some of the best marketing Dodge has going for the ACR thanks to C.J. After reading it several times I couldn't resist the urge to try my first Viper, and I bought a White no-stripe GTC ACR-E. I pick it up on Monday.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:44 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mika911
How are the ceramic discs on these? Do people tend to keep them on or replace with iron alternatives? A group of 911 enthusiasts in Europe are all looking at a group buy of these as they look such immense fun and back to basics thrills. We have a trader who can get them for us and most likely also replacement parts. The big question mark for us is maintenance as there is no network here like Porsche offers, with all its OPC and independent garages.
The cars are super easy to work on. The only issue is supply. You can swap aftermarket rotors, wheels, and use hoosier tires with a small trim alteration inside the wheel well.

Literally everything is in the manual- from camber and alignment settings to intervals for changing parts. It is basically a GT3 level race car that you can do yourself. Any decent shop can make it work.

If you need any advice let me know via PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:45 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dewilmoth
I think this thread is some of the best marketing Dodge has going for the ACR thanks to C.J. After reading it several times I couldn't resist the urge to try my first Viper, and I bought a White no-stripe GTC ACR-E. I pick it up on Monday.

Please be sure to petition ralph gilles for me!
Old 04-17-2016, 11:41 AM
fourtrax250R
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was an absolutely great thread, I thoroughly enjoyed reading through it.. its great to see enthusiasts appreciating cars regardless of badge.. The ACR is a fantastic car.... I never realized how much hand assembly went into a Viper until i saw this video...

Enjoy your cars gents!!
Old 04-17-2016, 04:12 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

The ACR is an impressive piece of equipment and I'm just old enough to rejoice that it is American made. There is an awful lot of self loathing and knee-jerk belief that imported manufactured products are better than American that I find disheartening
Old 05-08-2016, 06:16 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Preliminary report for MotorSport Ranch Cresson, 1.7 mile Clockwise (opposite the more traditional direction that Dodge used when developing the car). Very windy day with splashes of rain around noon but dry track conditions. Last session was 77 deg ambient, 29.79 in Hg, wind SSE 17-12 knots, 70% humidity. Started tire pressures 27F and 28 R. Left side tires came up to 34 F and 33 R. Right side gets less work and about 1 psi less hot. Pretty consistent 1:18s with best of 1:17.8. Temps went to 216 water, 235 oil. I left the stability on track mode, traction off. This is the least intrusive stability system I've ever used and I could feel it some but only when overdriving the car. It is not fast to hoon around on the Kumhos.

Subjectively this is the easiest Viper to drive ever. Maybe one of the easiest vehicles to drive. In 5 sessions I dropped 2 wheels once, otherwise the car just went where pointed. The aero is a real treat. I found that in the high speed stuff it's better to turn in early and use the extra grip and trail a bit extra to the apex. The brakes were sublime. Firm, easy to modulate, consistent without a hint of fade and completely confidence inspiring. Wear rate is very modest (CCM, by the way). I've driven a lot of cars here, including Spec Miata, Spec Racer Ford, 991 GT3, 996 GT3 Cup, MP4-12C, C6 Z06, Radical SR8, Formula Mazda, many flavored of Viper street and race cars and this car is the fastest car with an interior and DOT tires I've ever driven.

One significant negative that I anticipated due to the front tire wear issues others have faced. This car has a big push. Not as bad as the GT3 or McLaren, but IMO a big reason for tire destruction is the push. In slow stuff I was kicking the throttle to rotate the car. I'd pick up at least .5 sec if I can get rid of the push. My first effort will be to take fronts to 3.2 deg camber from current 2.7, then maybe more rake. I may also soften front shock or stiffen rears, but I suspect that will be fine tuning. I sure wish I could add more rear bar or soften the front. Dodge should have put adjustable bars on this car and maybe aftermarket will do it.

But overall, this car is the absolute king of the hill for showroom stock street cars I've ever driven on track. And by a wide margin. If you street drive this car it's like having a Kentucky Derby winning thoroughbred and using it to pull carriages around the park. The car becomes so much more lively and a Zen-like experience when the Gs and RPMs and pace go up.

Brilliant!
Old 05-08-2016, 09:48 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keith, My findings exactly. Eliminating push would make the car almost perfect. Thanks for the report. Best, Allan
Old 05-08-2016, 10:36 PM
JSA
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

What I find disheartening is that the labor unions destroyed Chrysler (now purchased by Fiat after a bailout was taken (stolen) from the American tax payers). And GM stole billions from us as well. Yeah, quite disheartening....

I'm not spending the time to read through this entire thread, but did anyone ask for "CJ" to provide some history on his driving? Is he a real proven race car driver? Or, is he a "DE Champion" and/or a paid driver on some fancy race team and is really the "slower driver of the group."

Just saying...

And for the record, I was very close to buying an ACR. But I wasn't dumb enough to fall for the marketing hype - it's a RACE CAR that is (barely) street legal. And NO ONE should want to go that fast in ANY car that doesn't have a roll cage and full safety measures... Unless of course you're wanting to be a "DE Champion."

But, I guess when you know you're going out why not go out with a bang right? SRT division is getting the ax, so they created a race car in the new ACR. You could take a C7 Z06 or 991 GT3 and very easily make it hang all over the ACR. But, at that point you should be doing REAL racing not trying to be a DE champion which I suspect most people who purchased the ACR will be doing with the car...

With all that said, I'll be ready, willing and able to hurt the feelings of the unsuspecting ACR driver with my sh$t box 991 GT3. :-)

Cheers!
Old 05-09-2016, 12:22 AM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Originally Posted by JSA
What I find disheartening is that the labor unions destroyed Chrysler (now purchased by Fiat after a bailout was taken (stolen) from the American tax payers). And GM stole billions from us as well. Yeah, quite disheartening....

I'm not spending the time to read through this entire thread, but did anyone ask for "CJ" to provide some history on his driving? Is he a real proven race car driver? Or, is he a "DE Champion" and/or a paid driver on some fancy race team and is really the "slower driver of the group."

Just saying...

And for the record, I was very close to buying an ACR. But I wasn't dumb enough to fall for the marketing hype - it's a RACE CAR that is (barely) street legal. And NO ONE should want to go that fast in ANY car that doesn't have a roll cage and full safety measures... Unless of course you're wanting to be a "DE Champion."

But, I guess when you know you're going out why not go out with a bang right? SRT division is getting the ax, so they created a race car in the new ACR. You could take a C7 Z06 or 991 GT3 and very easily make it hang all over the ACR. But, at that point you should be doing REAL racing not trying to be a DE champion which I suspect most people who purchased the ACR will be doing with the car...

With all that said, I'll be ready, willing and able to hurt the feelings of the unsuspecting ACR driver with my sh$t box 991 GT3. :-)

Cheers!
You might want to do a little research before you crap all over so many people and manufacturers. You might be the Road Atlanta King, but can't tell from your handle. I am easy to look up and definitely an amateur. Bring your sh$tbox to MSR and show me your stuff. I'd actually like to see the easy changes required to embarrass me in my ACR. Stock for stock I think it's about 3 sec a lap for me in both cars, but perhaps I am not extracting all the GT3 has to offer. If we time it right we might be able to have CJ over, too. It would be fun.

I promise I won't get my feelings hurt, having never won a DE championship personally. But your comment does remind me of the old query about Porsches and porcupines.

Quick Reply: OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR