Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 10:39 AM
Leadfoot01
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Viper is actually shorter than the 911--which is hard to believe until you see them side by side
Old 01-07-2016, 11:39 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

The only issue is parking the car, but it has a 7 inch dash screen so I try to reverse in when I am unsure about placement in a lot with curbs
Old 01-07-2016, 05:22 PM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its not meant for starbucks. i won't have problems parking ( in the paddock of a track ) lol
Old 01-08-2016, 08:53 PM
newalbanyohio
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

Hey Guys,

Just closed a deal on a 2016 ACR-E.

Exceptional buying experience working with Courtney Manwell. She is a true Viper enthusiast. Great gal. http://www.viperexchange.com/welcome-courtney-manwell

Viper Exchange has an incredible inventory of not just Vipers. Their selection of Porsches, Ferraris and Lamborghini's was almost hard to believe. They had 3 991 GT3s and a new 991 GT3RS..08 Scuderia, 2 Aventadors..for example.

They have 3-4 ACR-E waiting for homes and while we were there they were ordering more ACRs. Guy working there told me that the ACRs are moving quickly.

Anyway, give her a call if you are ready to lock down an ACR before production ends.

Hoping to have the ACR at COTA next month for the Addicts event..
Old 02-18-2016, 01:13 PM
atc5
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

any recent updates on experiences with their ACR?

I'm strongly considering getting into one
Old 02-19-2016, 03:41 AM
R35driver
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 121 Posts

haven't driven an ACR but did test drive a regular old GTS.

I was very impressed. Dodge really stepped their game up. Its a nice cockpit to be in and very easy to drive slow... by that I mean i had no problem going through traffic or around town. The clutch and shifter are near perfect (clutch grab high for my taste). it rides pretty well all things considered.

the redline is low at 6200 or something, but with a broad powerband and long gears you really don't notice. it makes alot of noise, not great but not bad. letting off the gas almost feels like a mild brake in other cars because that v10 carries so much inertia.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:51 PM
tripleblack
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atc5
any recent updates on experiences with their ACR?
I'm strongly considering getting into one
Only 150 miles on it so far. Weather looking better this weekend for another 2-300 break-in before track season.

Early impressions:
1. It's a track car that's streetable (vs. DD).
2. Consumables: Likes fuel; brake pads as expensive as a P-car; as-yet-unknown rotor durability/replacement costs.
3. Driver ergonomics: Decent. Pedals close together; seats look/feel great though may need more side-bolster for faster track fun; clutch throw is long.
4. Build/finish is (much) better than expected. Subtle touches in the cabin: N'b'ring map on door handle base mat; door panel checkered flag design; ACR dash plaque.
5. All body panels are CF/CFP-composite (very cool).
6. Suspension adjustments easily accessible.
7. CF bits are phenomenal. Canards & wing are functional art. As good, if not better, then any auto you care to mention.
8. Manual levered handbrake FTW. Detest that Porsche GT has gone electronic.
9. The car is tuned for the track: Docile at low RPM; progressive TQ build-up; beast awakes at 4K (or throttle-mash).
10. Aero: Apparent >50mph. Car settles beautifully.
11. Closer in spirit to what I think an RS should be (think 996 RS but way faster)
12. The car unnerves people. It looks like it's hunting something.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:49 PM
991TTS
AutoX

Only 250 miles on mine so far, so in the same break-in dilemma. get to 500 for oil change, then another 500 before going to the track. Had a Gen5 GTS before this that was great and this car is great as well, albeit less street friendly but much more track focused which I why I got it.

Would agree with the commentary below and can't wait to get it out on the track where it shines.

Originally Posted by tripleblack
Only 150 miles on it so far. Weather looking better this weekend for another 2-300 break-in before track season.

Early impressions:
2. Consumables: Likes fuel; brake pads as expensive as a P-car; as-yet-unknown rotor durability/replacement costs.
3. Driver ergonomics: Decent. Pedals close together; seats look/feel great though may need more side-bolster for faster track fun; clutch throw is long.
4. Build/finish is (much) better than expected. Subtle touches in the cabin: N'b'ring map on door handle base mat; door panel checkered flag design; ACR dash plaque.
7. CF bits are phenomenal. Canards & wing are functional art. As good, if not better, then any auto you care to mention.
9. The car is tuned for the track: Docile at low RPM; progressive TQ build-up; beast awakes at 4K (or throttle-mash).
11. Closer in spirit to what I think an RS should be (think 996 RS but way faster)
Old 02-21-2016, 01:41 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Only 150 miles on it so far. Weather looking better this weekend for another 2-300 break-in before track season. Early impressions: 1. It's a track car that's streetable (vs. DD). 2. Consumables: Likes fuel; brake pads as expensive as a P-car; as-yet-unknown rotor durability/replacement costs. 3. Driver ergonomics: Decent. Pedals close together; seats look/feel great though may need more side-bolster for faster track fun; clutch throw is long. 4. Build/finish is (much) better than expected. Subtle touches in the cabin: N'b'ring map on door handle base mat; door panel checkered flag design; ACR dash plaque. 5. All body panels are CF/CFP-composite (very cool). 6. Suspension adjustments easily accessible. 7. CF bits are phenomenal. Canards & wing are functional art. As good, if not better, then any auto you care to mention. 8. Manual levered handbrake FTW. Detest that Porsche GT has gone electronic. 9. The car is tuned for the track: Docile at low RPM; progressive TQ build-up; beast awakes at 4K (or throttle-mash). 10. Aero: Apparent >50mph. Car settles beautifully. 11. Closer in spirit to what I think an RS should be (think 996 RS but way faster) 12. The car unnerves people. It looks like it's hunting something.
Nicely written
Old 02-21-2016, 01:52 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Just took my car in for full checkups. Everything still works great.

Needs pads (damn you chuckwalla) - expensive.
Looking for full race seat
Oil change, flush brake lines etc
Need a wrap refresh as the car is hammered from bugs and track duty.

Ordering Hoosiers and Forgelines. Just bought a trailer. Will see everyone in the fall as baseball has started and I'm gonna have to go to work now.

Car has 10 track days or more since November. Lost count. Total mileage is around 5k. I have onboard and external vids of doing a 1:53 at my second visit to chuckwalla. Fastest stock streetcar I could find was Randy Pobst in camaro SS at 1:57.8

Targets for next track season:
1:47 at buttonwillow (have yet to get a clean lap)
1:41 at Fontana (have done 1:43 with passenger)
Run at Laguna Seca + Sonoma + Thunderhill

Car is so great to drive I still think I have yet to put a wheel off track, although I punted a cone at Fontana.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:06 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 185 Likes on 111 Posts

1:47 at BW, insane.

Did you go to RPM today? I chose to go to the Purist / cup gang meet instead as I live closer, but the parking lot they chose was a bit small. Will try Hing wa next time.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:12 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by vantage
1:47 at BW, insane. Did you go to RPM today? I chose to go to the Purist / cup gang meet instead as I live closer, but the parking lot they chose was a bit small. Will try Hing wa next time.
I did 1:53 in drizzle and 1:56 in full wet pouring rain so I know the car is good for it. I need to get a racing seat so I can access that last bit and be safe in the event I make a mistake.

In AZ already.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:58 AM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
... Will see everyone in the fall as baseball has started and I'm gonna have to go to work now...
Sorry for going off topic but this die hard Angel fan is looking forward to seeing you back on the bump. Stay healthy, CJ. I'll be out in AZ in a few weeks for my 18th annual guys Spring Training trip and cheering for you guys. So stoked baseball is back!

Go Halos!
Old 02-21-2016, 07:24 AM
anjum
Track Day

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I did 1:53 in drizzle and 1:56 in full wet pouring rain so I know the car is good for it. I need to get a racing seat so I can access that last bit and be safe in the event I make a mistake.

In AZ already.
Brilliant write up! I'm loving the ACR and will pop into a Chysler dealer before I jump on a plane back to UK this afternoon!

I know this is a GT3RS forum - I'm picking mine up when I get back to the UK on Monday!
Old 02-21-2016, 08:55 AM
Leadfoot01
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Early impressions:

Agree 100% with these observations! I have 800 mi on mine--first track day is March 11.

Quick Reply: OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR