Sponsored by:

OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 11:08 PM
changster123
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
There is a big *** boomerang shaped bag that it all fits in.
Ahhh nice. I assume it fits inside the car if need be.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:11 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by changster123
Ugh sketchily it fits maybe
Old 06-15-2016, 07:11 AM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by changster123
It fits, I drove my car home that way after picking it up. But it would probably be tough with a passenger.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:38 AM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would take a very understanding passenger to ride with splitter bag. The car can easily be driven on street with track aero, though, so no real need. And if you have a jack and bring the shock spanners, just go 10 turns up on perches and you go up an inch in ride height and take out some static camber for transit to & from track if you have any major dips to contend with.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:36 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

Can anyone with a GT4 give a quick comparison? Was thinking of maybe swapping out the GT for an ACR
Old 06-17-2016, 10:07 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

That car is an f'ing boner on wheels!

Originally Posted by LA Brit
Mine just landed at the dealer - time for mods!

Can't wait to get it on track!

Old 06-17-2016, 03:27 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CarAholic
Can anyone with a GT4 give a quick comparison? Was thinking of maybe swapping out the GT for an ACR
OK, I don't have a GT4, but I can spin up a metaphor for you. Trading your GT4 for an ACR would be like dating a really hot ballerina and dumping her for Gina Carano.

YMMV,
TT
Old 06-17-2016, 08:00 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Tweed
OK, I don't have a GT4, but I can spin up a metaphor for you. Trading your GT4 for an ACR would be like dating a really hot ballerina and dumping her for Gina Carano. YMMV, TT
No it's more like trading a bicycle for a horse.

A bike can be many things.

you can't really just take a horse anywhere and if you **** off a horse it will bruise you badly.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:40 PM
LA Brit
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

you can't really just take a horse anywhere and if you **** off a horse it will bruise you badly.
Ha - I shall see how it copes with the mean streets of Calabasas.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:55 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Giddyup!
Old 06-18-2016, 01:49 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 210 Posts

I'm trying really hard to like this car and even spoke to Woodhouse, from whom I've bought a few Porsches in the past, about getting one.

I just can't seem to get over spending $150k on a Dodge Viper. Just sitting in it turns me off. I guess I need to drive it. The numbers, track times, and good drivers recommending them don't lie I guess.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:02 AM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LA Brit
Mine just landed at the dealer - time for mods!

Can't wait to get it on track!

What color is that assuming one of one????
Old 06-18-2016, 10:12 AM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I'm trying really hard to like this car and even spoke to Woodhouse, from whom I've bought a few Porsches in the past, about getting one.

I just can't seem to get over spending $150k on a Dodge Viper. Just sitting in it turns me off. I guess I need to drive it. The numbers, track times, and good drivers recommending them don't lie I guess.
The car is clearly not for everyone but the remark about spending "on a Dodge Viper" was irrelevant to me. First, my car was $130K, but putting that slight difference aside, my thought was how much I was spending on a performance car. I care not about brand. My monetary reaction is that I can't believe what I get for less than the price delta between a GT3 and RS.

As for being turned off, can you articulate what it is? I personally think the fit and finish, especially paint, are excellent. I like he interior materials and my ACR certainly has more leather than my (pretty basic) GT3. I find the gauges and screen more readable on the Viper than GT3, and like the app that puts engine gauges on the touch screen. Viper is heavier and less roomy inside than GT3, and GT3 a better DD.

But in the end, the ACR is built for the track. If it's not used on the track, and probably primarily so, I don't think it's a very good choice. But if a well driven ACR shows up on track, you pretty much need to get out of the way in every other production car (stock for stock). I personally respect Dodge just fine for that.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:27 PM
jpgunn
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CarAholic
I had a GT4 and now have an ACR-E. The cars are very different. GT4 would be a fine DD, and much slower on the track. Viper could do DD duty, but why --> It begs to run. The GT4 always felt lethargic (compared to my 991S even). The technology used in the Viper engine is not the same, but the results are that there is no replacement for displacement -- the Viper is seriously fast. Also -- without the Big Splitter and Strikes on, the car clears more things than the GT4 did.

Interior on Viper is just as nice or nicer. Stereo can be had in all the levels -- from 3 speaker minimalist to 12 speaker symphonic. GT4 stereo was OK, but not nearly as good as Bose in 991S. I opted for the 3 speaker ACR standard stereo because I am not DD'ing the car.

Suspension -- Viper is definitely far ahead of the Cayman and all Street Porsches (except CGT, 918, & 959 which had some nice suspension). Starting with long unequal length A-Arms with excellent camber curves, ability to bump steer rear, excellent spring rates and damper selection (street ride is better than GT4, and set to track settings -- light years ahead) results in excellent control of tire contact with minimal roll over (until you are absolutely hauling the mail and the aero is gluing the car to the ground). I really prefer manually adjustable shocks to PASM. But I like well damped race cars with simple and effective dampers. Obviously you could create fantastic electronically controlled dampers for a race car, but the PASM on the GT4 is trying to use compression damping (especially in front) to make up for spring rate.

The viper feels bigger at lower speeds than the GT4. It does not slalom as well as the GT4 (it is heavier and 4" wider -- 71.5" for GT4 vs. 75.5" for Viper ACR). Wheel base is virtually the same on both cars. The extra weight (350lbs or so) on the Viper is more than handled by the extra wheel width and better suspension. The Brakes on the Viper feel better and seem to produce higher deceleration Gs -- 1.44Gs in Viper ACR, but would have to look up the GT4 track data, but I don't remember it going over 1.22. Same with Lateral Gs -- 1.64 in Viper ACR, and 1.34 in GT4. Obviously the Kumho tires on the Viper ACR are just better than the Sport Cup2s, and downforce and suspension help too.

The Viper is surprisingly easy to drive fast. Prior Vipers liked to wag their tails under hard braking, but not so on the Gen V ACR. However -- this is not a car for people that cannot drive well. You need good judgement (speed is so easy to attain), and plenty of experience to keep ahead of one of the fastest street cars on tracks ever made.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:57 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate the detailed response. Will see if the local dealer will let me take the car out.

Quick Reply: OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR