Sponsored by:

OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 12:51 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I want to see the video of the ACR beating the production car record at my local track (Buttonwillow). They posted up the videos for 9 of the tracks where the ACR set records but not Buttonwillow.
Not the ACR video but here is a highly prepped Vette doing 1:41

Old 12-30-2015, 01:17 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 216 Posts

^thats my friend Cody One of the most exciting cars I've driven. Unreal and I drove it a long time ago when it wasn't even close to where it is now.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:46 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
I daily drive my 14 Viper TA. It is my only car. First week I was a bit unsure, left town for a couple days and came back and was in love. Like people mentioned it takes getting used to but once u do u fall in love. I sold my 991 GTS manual cause I was bored with it. Felt like driving around an E class. Drive a 991 GT3 around town and on track and yes it's amazing but find it muted and a bit dull to be honest. I like manual gearboxes and after getting out of my viper and taking the GT3 out it felt to quiet and too refined on track, which some may like. The viper is the closed thing to a racecar that's a street car in my opinion. Although I know a couple guys who say they find it much better than their 458 speciale, saying the speciale is even rougher and more uncomfortable.
Interesting.
I'm surprised you like the viper clutch feel/gearing around town. I hated it.
I'm all for visceral cars, the 991 gts is not it.

The viper seat position was not ideal, and the sound of the exhaust is lame enough to not like the car.
I liked the new zo6 as a street car better than the viper. Awesome sound, seating, and definitely better clutch/trans.
I would be daily driving an orange viper TA if I could stomach it, which I couldn't.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:47 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the_rider
Keith Verges-Dalls, allans:
Actually, I don't care much about comfort per se. I ride super/hyper bikes, with full gear. Instead, I care about qualities that 'lumber' and 'Masonbrick' detailed; and, a few other traits that make a sports car fun drive at street legal speeds. One of the cars in my shopping list is Caterham Seven, which sort of alludes to the characteristics I am looking for.

Admittedly, I have the least amount of knowledge on Viper. I don't track either. So, we have different expectations. If I were to choose Viper, it would have been a GTS. So, for the reasons already mentioned, it would be a disappointment, to me. I really wanted it. You could have all the track credibility and yet make it sound like LFA or Carrera GT. What's wrong with that? You could have all the aero and down force for the track; and, still factor in fine sports car traits, for the street. These qualities are not mutually exclusive. Failing to do so just makes it one-trick pony!
I agree the Extreme is a bit of a one-trick pony that has tons of compromise off the track. Also, it's built to a price point. LFA, Carrera GT, R8, Huracan are a bit more expensive and all will be slower on track. If I was not going to track the car, I'd have neither a GT3 nor ordered an Extreme. I'd have a new Z06 as IMO it's better on the street than either with a cavernous hatch area to give it a modicum of practicality.

It would be, to put it gently, misguided to buy an Extreme without the plan to use it extensively, if not primariliy, on track.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:55 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by lumber
Interesting.
I'm surprised you like the viper clutch feel/gearing around town. I hated it.
I'm all for visceral cars, the 991 gts is not it.

The viper seat position was not ideal, and the sound of the exhaust is lame enough to not like the car.
I liked the new zo6 as a street car better than the viper. Awesome sound, seating, and definitely better clutch/trans.
I would be daily driving an orange viper TA if I could stomach it, which I couldn't.
Really. The clutch is pretty light and easy.

The gearbox I love. More rifle like, reminded me of old gt3. It's crisp and precise.

The steering is super responsive and entertaining. Probably most responsive I've felt. I was scared it was going to be like my old ZR1 but it's the furthest from it. Thank god.

It's a tight cabin no question. Small and slightly clostrophobic but once used to it no problem.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:56 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
You don't understand this car because you don't track. Within the constraint of staying street legal, it's designed as a track car which can hang with many proper race cars, at a price between the GT4 and GT3 while being considerably faster than both of them. It's not just a 'sports car'. What they were able to achieve with this car is very impressive, and will hopefully cause Porsche to rethink their design priorities for the GT cars going forward.
Guess I have misplaced expectations then!
Old 12-30-2015, 04:08 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
I agree the Extreme is a bit of a one-trick pony that has tons of compromise off the track. Also, it's built to a price point. LFA, Carrera GT, R8, Huracan are a bit more expensive and all will be slower on track. If I was not going to track the car, I'd have neither a GT3 nor ordered an Extreme. I'd have a new Z06 as IMO it's better on the street than either with a cavernous hatch area to give it a modicum of practicality.

It would be, to put it gently, misguided to buy an Extreme without the plan to use it extensively, if not primariliy, on track.
I agree with your assessment. I will see if I can find a way to test drive one (non-ACR), if that's even possible. Now, about that Z06......... never mind! :-)
Old 12-30-2015, 04:51 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

You don't understand this car because you don't track. Within the constraint of staying street legal, it's designed as a track car which can hang with many proper race cars, at a price between the GT4 and GT3 while being considerably faster than both of them. It's not just a 'sports car'. What they were able to achieve with this car is very impressive, and will hopefully cause Porsche to rethink their design priorities for the GT cars going forward.
The Viper ACR is a beast, no doubt about it. In fact, most Vipers are. But only if we're judging them as track cars.

What differentiates a Viper from most of its competitors (be it the Z06, GT3, GT4, etc.) is that it is nearly impossible to use as a daily driver; whereas something like the GT3 can do double-duty without much sweat.

The Viper ACR is a one-trick pony. But damn, that pony is like the American Pharoah of track cars.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:13 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,269 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The Viper ACR is a beast, no doubt about it. In fact, most Vipers are. But only if we're judging them as track cars.

What differentiates a Viper from most of its competitors (be it the Z06, GT3, GT4, etc.) is that it is nearly impossible to use as a daily driver; whereas something like the GT3 can do double-duty without much sweat.

The Viper ACR is a one-trick pony. But damn, that pony is like the American Pharoah of track cars.
As people progress with their track journey, many opt to develop street cars into track cars to the extent that, while you can drive them on the street, you'd mainly only want to do that to get to/from the track; DD goes out the window. I see the ACR as filling that niche, except that you get the benefit of the Viper team applying their ample engineering resources and expertise, and the results speak for themselves.

I'd give up some of the streetability of the 991 GT3 to make it better on track. Even the RS doesn't do that, it seems to maintain about the same street/track balance as the GT3, but turns up the overall dial a bit. And of course, despite all the claimed go-fast engineering of the RS, the ACR will still eat its lunch on track. Even the 918 trembles with worry when the ACR shows up!

Man ... I've got to stop reading about the ACR and drive one of these things!
Old 12-30-2015, 06:00 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

As people progress with their track journey, many opt to develop street cars into track cars to the extent that, while you can drive them on the street, you'd mainly only want to do that to get to/from the track; DD goes out the window. I see the ACR as filling that niche, except that you get the benefit of the Viper team applying their ample engineering resources and expertise, and the results speak for themselves.

I'd give up some of the streetability of the 991 GT3 to make it better on track. Even the RS doesn't do that, it seems to maintain about the same street/track balance as the GT3, but turns up the overall dial a bit. And of course, despite all the claimed go-fast engineering of the RS, the ACR will still eat its lunch on track. Even the 918 trembles with worry when the ACR shows up!

Sounds exciting! Have there actually been any track comparisons between the RS and the ACR, or still too early?
Old 12-30-2015, 06:17 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
Sounds exciting! Have there actually been any track comparisons between the RS and the ACR, or still too early?
I'm not aware of any journalist comparo reviews, just looking at lap times, eg http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300171797.html
Old 12-30-2015, 06:21 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Agree.

But stock for stock, the Viper ACR is simply not really suitable as a daily driver (that can almost be said of all Viper iterations, not just the ACR).

The difference with the GT3 (as one example) is that in stock form it can be about as 7/10 capable as the Viper ACR, and still be a totally usable daily driver.

Again, if the comparison was between an ACR and a modded-out dedicated track car of some sort, then that's a different issue entirely.

But if what we're talking about is out-of-the-box, the Viper loses out to some of its other competitors because it simply is not usable as a daily driver (at least in IMO).
Old 12-30-2015, 06:53 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Agree.

But stock for stock, the Viper ACR is simply not really suitable as a daily driver (that can almost be said of all Viper iterations, not just the ACR).

The difference with the GT3 (as one example) is that in stock form it can be about as 7/10 capable as the Viper ACR, and still be a totally usable daily driver.

Again, if the comparison was between an ACR and a modded-out dedicated track car of some sort, then that's a different issue entirely.

But if what we're talking about is out-of-the-box, the Viper loses out to some of its other competitors because it simply is not usable as a daily driver (at least in IMO).
Two things:

- I personally don't need the GT3 to work as a DD and I rarely drive it on the road for fun. We have lots of other Porsches to cover the DD need, so I'd rather see the GT3 focused on track use, and compromised for street use only to the extent that it can be driven to/from the track without too much misery.

- The ACR isn't just a little faster than the GT3 on track, it's another league. As impressive as the GT3 is on track (I've raved about it a lot), I imagine that the ACR must be simply mind-bending.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:35 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not aware of any journalist comparo reviews, just looking at lap times, eg http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300171797.html
A 1:21.24 is a smoking fast time for a production car at Willow Springs. Randy Pobst did a 1:23.54 in the 918 there, and a 127.22 in the 991 GT3.

TT
Old 12-30-2015, 10:24 PM
991TTS
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree.

What is odd to me is why is the DD aspect is even popping up? For example, if you want the best combo of perf and DD in the Porsche line, why would you choose a GT3 over the Turbo S? The Turbo is the better daily driver and the faster car in most cases on the streets, so if you chose the GT3 instead, it speaks to wanting more track performance I believe. With the ACR, it is the ultimate in track performance with far less compromises on the market today.

For myself, I have had several Vipers and Porsche's and my opinion is the GT3 is not a good DD either, particularly when you can get a Turbo in its place. Vipers in general (even the Gen 5's) are not great DDs, particularly compared to the Porsche line, but in general better track cars and the ACR just takes it to a whole new level.

Having said all of that, I currently drive a 991 Turbo S as a daily driver and a new ACR for the track. Would I ever choose the ACR over the 991 for a drive on the streets? NO. Would I ever choose the Turbo S over the ACR for a track day? NO. As a result, the GT3 ended up being in this odd place of being somewhere in between as not the best Porsche DD and not the best track car (in purely relative terms to what else is avail).

Now maybe the point is, if a person could only have one car for the track and the street as a DD, the GT3 might be the best compromise, but it is definitely a compromise on both fronts.

Quick Reply: OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR