Sponsored by:

OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 01:26 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
I don't have many miles, and it's all tame street driving, but some basic observations.

Body and paint fit and finish are extraordinary. This should not matter for a track car, but it is gorgeous. The carbon hood, carbon rear hatch, surfboard-size wing are all spectacular and a thing of wonder when everything is open (the underside of the hood looks amazing).

The clutch is very light, but long travel - probably that was the tradeoff to keep it light.

Gearbox is very positive and shift lever is the right length to me - much shorter than Gen IV

The luxury amenities are nice, again sort of a waste for a track car. Bluetooth is easy and sounds good, Bluetooth audio is great, and the H-K stereo is IMO the best of any street car I've owned, including the Meridian in the McLaren and Bose or whatever in the GT3. Navigation works great and integrates with traffic.

Seats are firm, supportive and comfortable; I've always liked the adjustable pedals. I can get the driving position just right and love the aluminum pedals. No vague rubber covers and the gas and brake are great for heel/toe.

Love the dash and gauges. The touchscreen includes a performance app that lets you display all the engine temps and pressures at once, or other stuff like G loads.

It's a pussycat at under 2000 rpm and does not threaten to break tires loose even in 1st gear, very non-threatening and easy to putter around. Have not gone over 4000 or WOT yet.

No tramlining or jerkiness in steering and I like the steering feel. Very firm and direct, but not communicative in that you don't feel every imperfection in the road through the wheel.

Rides pretty rough, to be expected with 1000+ lb/in springs, but surprisingly streetable. Not a whole lot rougher than the GT3. The biggest thing I notice is big undulations make it feel like the car wants to leave the ground.

I dig the detail like an included pigtail to hard wire a radar detector and a removable panel behind each seat that says "Racing Harness" and the little plaque on the dash that says made especially for (my name) with a spare plate included in the event of resale.

Extended warranty to take the car to 6 years was $1900. For a track car !!!!

Comes with a cool manual that details all the aero and setup mods for baseline to get tracking.

An amazing value for the lunatic fringe.
Thanks for the experiences update on the ACR. The more I read about it the more I start to think this may be my next track/ fun car.

Looking forward to more updates...
Old 03-05-2016, 01:28 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
I don't have many miles, and it's all tame street driving, but some basic observations.

Body and paint fit and finish are extraordinary. This should not matter for a track car, but it is gorgeous. The carbon hood, carbon rear hatch, surfboard-size wing are all spectacular and a thing of wonder when everything is open (the underside of the hood looks amazing).

The clutch is very light, but long travel - probably that was the tradeoff to keep it light.

Gearbox is very positive and shift lever is the right length to me - much shorter than Gen IV

The luxury amenities are nice, again sort of a waste for a track car. Bluetooth is easy and sounds good, Bluetooth audio is great, and the H-K stereo is IMO the best of any street car I've owned, including the Meridian in the McLaren and Bose or whatever in the GT3. Navigation works great and integrates with traffic.

Seats are firm, supportive and comfortable; I've always liked the adjustable pedals. I can get the driving position just right and love the aluminum pedals. No vague rubber covers and the gas and brake are great for heel/toe.

Love the dash and gauges. The touchscreen includes a performance app that lets you display all the engine temps and pressures at once, or other stuff like G loads.

It's a pussycat at under 2000 rpm and does not threaten to break tires loose even in 1st gear, very non-threatening and easy to putter around. Have not gone over 4000 or WOT yet.

No tramlining or jerkiness in steering and I like the steering feel. Very firm and direct, but not communicative in that you don't feel every imperfection in the road through the wheel.

Rides pretty rough, to be expected with 1000+ lb/in springs, but surprisingly streetable. Not a whole lot rougher than the GT3. The biggest thing I notice is big undulations make it feel like the car wants to leave the ground.

I dig the detail like an included pigtail to hard wire a radar detector and a removable panel behind each seat that says "Racing Harness" and the little plaque on the dash that says made especially for (my name) with a spare plate included in the event of resale.

Extended warranty to take the car to 6 years was $1900. For a track car !!!!

Comes with a cool manual that details all the aero and setup mods for baseline to get tracking.

An amazing value for the lunatic fringe.
Originally Posted by skippyBKR
Here is an ACR stripped for a roll cage fitment.

Panels all bolt off.

Some VERY tidy work being done here!

Wow, that's the way to do it. Nice cage...
Old 03-05-2016, 01:28 PM
atc5
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Gosh the more reviews, the closer I get to pulling the trigger on the last car I'd ever think to get into.

So much value.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:59 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by Jooyoung99
Did you guys see this video at thermal? Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twz49m_PE2k Lap times: 1. 918 1:17:18 2. La Ferrari 1:18:46 3. P1 1:18:82 4. ACR 1:21:86 I think the laps were done by one of GMG drivers. I would've thought ACR times would be faster based on LS lap time by Randy Pobst. Different track and different drivers. Anyway, I thought the video was well done and pretty entertaining.
Those lap times hold ZERO water for me.

Lets just talk about the video in car of viper- missing shifts, zero rev matching, etc. awful.

Not to mention they didn't even take the 30 seconds to remove the hood louvres as prescribed in owners manual. Car didn't have the track ride height or anything.

That group of clowns, well they are clowns and they are not ever gonna get clicked on from me again. I was holding out hope that eventually they would figure out how to stop saying F FFFFF every 10'seconds in a video but that's how they roll. I sound like Gran Torino but get off my lawn with these bro hugs and weed dealers.

Also- nobody should put stock in lap times at thermal without running the whole track- that south loop is 8 turns and 7 are hairpins. When you incorporate the other side you have a much better design overall.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:28 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I sound like Gran Torino but get off my lawn with these bro hugs and weed dealers.

^great comment! Made my day
Old 03-05-2016, 05:56 PM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL who took that video seriously XD....
Old 03-05-2016, 06:10 PM
Birel22
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hughp3
I sound like Gran Torino but get off my lawn with these bro hugs and weed dealers.

^great comment! Made my day
This!!!! What a terrible representation of my generation. This video is garbage and skid pad donuts mean nothing!
Old 03-05-2016, 11:32 PM
Jooyoung99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it was entertaining. Obviously, I don't think it meant to be a serious documentary portraying accurate performance stats of cars. Bunch of guys having fun with their toys. What's wrong with that? Hopefully with some time and effort, their videos will improve.

Anyways, this video makes want to join the membership at Thermal. It looks like an amazing track. Also heard great things about it too. The homes next to the track look like mansions.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:36 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,269 Likes on 2,436 Posts

I'm out here at the track with my 991 GT3. The car is great and pretty fast, but the Viper ACR here is blowing my doors off.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:04 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm very seriously considering an ACR Extreme. I have friends actively trying to talk me out of it because it's a Dodge...people are messed up.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:27 PM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Those lap times hold ZERO water for me.

Lets just talk about the video in car of viper- missing shifts, zero rev matching, etc. awful.

Not to mention they didn't even take the 30 seconds to remove the hood louvres as prescribed in owners manual. Car didn't have the track ride height or anything.

That group of clowns, well they are clowns and they are not ever gonna get clicked on from me again. I was holding out hope that eventually they would figure out how to stop saying F FFFFF every 10'seconds in a video but that's how they roll. I sound like Gran Torino but get off my lawn with these bro hugs and weed dealers.

Also- nobody should put stock in lap times at thermal without running the whole track- that south loop is 8 turns and 7 are hairpins. When you incorporate the other side you have a much better design overall.
LOL, I fully understand. Going "Gran Torino". Ha ha ha. Ah man. That's the best. I have to agree with you. I watch videos like this and I cringe when ever I hear them call them selves "enthusiasts" . I also consider myself an "enthusiast" and there is NO WAY I would want to be stereotyped with these wing nuts.... Each to his own I guess....I look at guys like this and I just don't see an "enthusiast". I see someone who is trying to be a cool "car guy" but doesn't know a damn thing about what that means....

It bothers me to think that the younger generation (possibly my own kids) looks at this **** and thinks to themselves, man I wish I was that guy with all the cars wearing skinny jeans?!?!?!?! wtf? They would be better served in maybe doing a little research on say, Steve McQueen and try and emulate him, not these idiots. Sigh!!!

Apologies , back on subject... The VIPER ACR.... Still mulling it over....
Old 03-06-2016, 03:47 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LastMezger
I'm very seriously considering an ACR Extreme. I have friends actively trying to talk me out of it because it's a Dodge...people are messed up.
If you want a track car and can afford it, total no brainer. If you have a truck and trailer...100000% best car for the money. I don't own a dodge dealer so I have zero vested interest in saying this but the car is incredible.

Plus- ZERO games. You pay or order a 1 of 1 and lap everyone on the track.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:49 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jooyoung99
I thought it was entertaining. Obviously, I don't think it meant to be a serious documentary portraying accurate performance stats of cars. Bunch of guys having fun with their toys. What's wrong with that? Hopefully with some time and effort, their videos will improve. Anyways, this video makes want to join the membership at Thermal. It looks like an amazing track. Also heard great things about it too. The homes next to the track look like mansions.
Thermal is a gorgeous facility. Even the restaurant is great. If you can afford to go in with a few friends and are local it's a no brainer.

Caveat- you can't go in summer because it's 120F and you eyes will melt.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:12 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ACR is the new toy, but I have to say the GT3 seems a little tame. Now it remains to be seen how durable the ACR s in track and how in manages cooling of precious bodily fluids and brakes. If does look very throughly thought out, with heat extraction panels on top of hood and behind the front wheels, a large opening in facia to feed a large, lay-forward radiator, integrated brake cooling ducts in the fascia and extra ducts for the A-arms and a plethora of aero. The CF hood is featherweight. The front of engine is behind centerline of front wheels. The attention to detail is all there. Now it lacks the brand appeal of Porsche and is cartoonishly garish with the wing, canards and sidepipes, so it's probably not the car to pick up chicks or impress the Grey Poupon swilling neighbors, but school children dig it.

I am dying to get it set up and on track. I am considering using the existing front splitter as a template to make a larger one for the track, as what I read is it pushes and eats front tires. Not unexpected as most of the aero is out back.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:55 PM
Leadfoot01
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Keith,

I found your first impression comments to be dead on. Just turned 1K mi on mine this weekend--my first track day is this Fri at Road Atlanta-- I can't wait to stretch her legs to see what she can do! I was on a very twisty road yesterday and could not believe the turn in and grip.

Quick Reply: OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR