Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recent Dodge video with details on ACR Extreme

Old 02-23-2016, 03:04 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,027 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
1:47 at BW, insane.

Did you go to RPM today? I chose to go to the Purist / cup gang meet instead as I live closer, but the parking lot they chose was a bit small. Will try Hing wa next time.
Dang, I couldn't get into the 1:57s in my GT4 at BW this weekend (although I was running on a front corded tire).

I can keep track the car for you and set some records for you to break.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:34 PM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anyone having the coolant boiling over? i do 1 session and the coolant is bubbling and leaking out onto my passenger wheel well and smoking... eventually had to get her towed on the way back from the track , overheating... 1 track day and headed to dodge ... 900 miles
Old 02-23-2016, 07:21 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

I drove my buddy's GTS (not ACR) back to back with my GT3 recently at Sebring. Impressions:
1) 1000x better than older vipers - it didn't do anything bizarre. Very easy to drive and fast.
2) It's still a brutish torque machine though.
3) all the pedals and ergonomics were pretty good, which was a surprise.
4) the visibility is limited - you feel like you are looking through a mail slot.
5) I burned the **** out of my hand on the door sill climbing out.

Overall, I like it. It's fast and fun - easy to drive fast. Didn't do anything crazy, but it still feels like the ultimate american muscle car, albeit with a lot of track capability. While the steering is a lot better than the corvette, the overall feel is much less sharp and precise vs. a GT3. With the sharp steering, precise throttle steer, 9,000 RPM engine and PDK, the GT3 feels like it's about 15 years more advanced.

I was surprised that I could keep up with him on a couple remote, back road blasts. He would gain half a car length and the GT3 would catch up on his shifts, then he would gain have a car length, etc.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:33 PM
Jooyoung99
Racer

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Dang, I couldn't get into the 1:57s in my GT4 at BW this weekend (although I was running on a front corded tire).

I can keep track the car for you and set some records for you to break.
Was this with Speed District? I was planning to go, but my buddies bailed out on me. I didn't want to go by myself.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:21 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,027 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by Jooyoung99
Was this with Speed District? I was planning to go, but my buddies bailed out on me. I didn't want to go by myself.
Yeah it was with SD. I'm planning on going out again with them March 26th. You can always join Spyerx and I.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:01 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
I drove my buddy's GTS (not ACR) back to back with my GT3 recently at Sebring. Impressions:
1) 1000x better than older vipers - it didn't do anything bizarre. Very easy to drive and fast.
2) It's still a brutish torque machine though.
3) all the pedals and ergonomics were pretty good, which was a surprise.
4) the visibility is limited - you feel like you are looking through a mail slot.
5) I burned the **** out of my hand on the door sill climbing out.

Overall, I like it. It's fast and fun - easy to drive fast. Didn't do anything crazy, but it still feels like the ultimate american muscle car, albeit with a lot of track capability. While the steering is a lot better than the corvette, the overall feel is much less sharp and precise vs. a GT3. With the sharp steering, precise throttle steer, 9,000 RPM engine and PDK, the GT3 feels like it's about 15 years more advanced.

I was surprised that I could keep up with him on a couple remote, back road blasts. He would gain half a car length and the GT3 would catch up on his shifts, then he would gain have a car length, etc.
Try the ACR, every bit as as sharp and precise as the GT3/RS and on track will be much faster.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:01 PM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, mulling over possibly getting one of these ACR Extreme Aero cars. Went to Viper Exchange and looked at the two (three including Bernies car) and like what I saw....
Any new updates to tire situation/ brakes / seats/ harnesses'.

CJ did you get the Team tech harnesses? How do you like the set-up? Bernie said he liked his and commented that they held him if fine, what are your experiences.

Are their any roll bars for the car? I know there are revisions for harnesses behind the seat but was curious about roll over safety? What kind of structure is under that composite body? I watched the film of the viper being built and I didn't see an structure of substance (steel/aluminum) for the A-pilar or B-Pilar. I assume there is something strong there to give it some roll over safety.... It just didnt show anything in the video I watched...
Old 02-26-2016, 09:06 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All questions answered on the Viper Owners Association Forum. Best, Allan
Old 02-26-2016, 09:08 PM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah gracias'. Hadn't gotten there yet!!! Next on the list....
Old 03-03-2016, 04:22 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

I don't have many miles, and it's all tame street driving, but some basic observations.

Body and paint fit and finish are extraordinary. This should not matter for a track car, but it is gorgeous. The carbon hood, carbon rear hatch, surfboard-size wing are all spectacular and a thing of wonder when everything is open (the underside of the hood looks amazing).

The clutch is very light, but long travel - probably that was the tradeoff to keep it light.

Gearbox is very positive and shift lever is the right length to me - much shorter than Gen IV

The luxury amenities are nice, again sort of a waste for a track car. Bluetooth is easy and sounds good, Bluetooth audio is great, and the H-K stereo is IMO the best of any street car I've owned, including the Meridian in the McLaren and Bose or whatever in the GT3. Navigation works great and integrates with traffic.

Seats are firm, supportive and comfortable; I've always liked the adjustable pedals. I can get the driving position just right and love the aluminum pedals. No vague rubber covers and the gas and brake are great for heel/toe.

Love the dash and gauges. The touchscreen includes a performance app that lets you display all the engine temps and pressures at once, or other stuff like G loads.

It's a pussycat at under 2000 rpm and does not threaten to break tires loose even in 1st gear, very non-threatening and easy to putter around. Have not gone over 4000 or WOT yet.

No tramlining or jerkiness in steering and I like the steering feel. Very firm and direct, but not communicative in that you don't feel every imperfection in the road through the wheel.

Rides pretty rough, to be expected with 1000+ lb/in springs, but surprisingly streetable. Not a whole lot rougher than the GT3. The biggest thing I notice is big undulations make it feel like the car wants to leave the ground.

I dig the detail like an included pigtail to hard wire a radar detector and a removable panel behind each seat that says "Racing Harness" and the little plaque on the dash that says made especially for (my name) with a spare plate included in the event of resale.

Extended warranty to take the car to 6 years was $1900. For a track car !!!!

Comes with a cool manual that details all the aero and setup mods for baseline to get tracking.

An amazing value for the lunatic fringe.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:36 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,246 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
I don't have many miles, and it's all tame street driving, but some basic observations.

Body and paint fit and finish are extraordinary. This should not matter for a track car, but it is gorgeous. The carbon hood, carbon rear hatch, surfboard-size wing are all spectacular and a thing of wonder when everything is open (the underside of the hood looks amazing).

The clutch is very light, but long travel - probably that was the tradeoff to keep it light.

Gearbox is very positive and shift lever is the right length to me - much shorter than Gen IV

The luxury amenities are nice, again sort of a waste for a track car. Bluetooth is easy and sounds good, Bluetooth audio is great, and the H-K stereo is IMO the best of any street car I've owned, including the Meridian in the McLaren and Bose or whatever in the GT3. Navigation works great and integrates with traffic.

Seats are firm, supportive and comfortable; I've always liked the adjustable pedals. I can get the driving position just right and love the aluminum pedals. No vague rubber covers and the gas and brake are great for heel/toe.

Love the dash and gauges. The touchscreen includes a performance app that lets you display all the engine temps and pressures at once, or other stuff like G loads.

It's a pussycat at under 2000 rpm and does not threaten to break tires loose even in 1st gear, very non-threatening and easy to putter around. Have not gone over 4000 or WOT yet.

No tramlining or jerkiness in steering and I like the steering feel. Very firm and direct, but not communicative in that you don't feel every imperfection in the road through the wheel.

Rides pretty rough, to be expected with 1000+ lb/in springs, but surprisingly streetable. Not a whole lot rougher than the GT3. The biggest thing I notice is big undulations make it feel like the car wants to leave the ground.

I dig the detail like an included pigtail to hard wire a radar detector and a removable panel behind each seat that says "Racing Harness" and the little plaque on the dash that says made especially for (my name) with a spare plate included in the event of resale.

Comes with a cool manual that details all the aero and setup mods for baseline to get tracking.

+TQ!!!
Old 03-04-2016, 08:03 AM
DerStig
Racer

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas

Sounds amazing! i personally love ACR, its an amazing car. Have fun and let us know more how it feels as you put more miles.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:30 PM
skippyBKR
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rovman
Well, mulling over possibly getting one of these ACR Extreme Aero cars. Went to Viper Exchange and looked at the two (three including Bernies car) and like what I saw....
Any new updates to tire situation/ brakes / seats/ harnesses'.

CJ did you get the Team tech harnesses? How do you like the set-up? Bernie said he liked his and commented that they held him if fine, what are your experiences.

Are their any roll bars for the car? I know there are revisions for harnesses behind the seat but was curious about roll over safety? What kind of structure is under that composite body? I watched the film of the viper being built and I didn't see an structure of substance (steel/aluminum) for the A-pilar or B-Pilar. I assume there is something strong there to give it some roll over safety.... It just didnt show anything in the video I watched...
Here is an ACR stripped for a roll cage fitment.

Panels all bolt off.

Some VERY tidy work being done here!
Old 03-04-2016, 08:34 PM
Jooyoung99
Racer

Did you guys see this video at thermal?

Lap times:
1. 918 1:17:18
2. La Ferrari 1:18:46
3. P1 1:18:82
4. ACR 1:21:86

I think the laps were done by one of GMG drivers. I would've thought ACR times would be faster based on LS lap time by Randy Pobst. Different track and different drivers. Anyway, I thought the video was well done and pretty entertaining.

Quick Reply: OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR