Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 07:32 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Wear on my 991 S was about twice is much on the front as the rear. What do you guys do? I started just putting fresh fronts on half way through the cycle with rears.
I tried that but found rear traction to suffer dramatically, making me believe they are heat cycled.

Originally Posted by orthojoe
So it's a 991 thing, then. Interesting...
Yes for sure. Happened on all of my 3 cars. My mechanic was convinced I was over driving the cars and only time showed it's a 991 thing.

Originally Posted by Spyerx
get a pyrometer on those tires. more camber. needs stance
-3.0 all around. The insides of the fronts will still wear more than the outside, from braking.

Originally Posted by Manifold
In general, the 991 inherently has more front-end grip than the 997, which could translate into more front-end tire wear. No-free-lunch sort of thing?
Makes sense.

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Anyway, I'm firmly convinced now that these tires lose grip before they lose thread, especially rears that last quite a bit. So I'm seriously considering trying Trofeos next. Or maybe something like AD08 once sizes become available.
I agree 100%. I am currently not street driving the car at all except to/from track, as I try and see how the Trofeo-Rs heat cycle. Still on first set.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:38 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I am currently not street driving the car at all except to/from track, as I try and see how the Trofeo-Rs heat cycle. Still on first set.
Thanks for info, Sam! Let us know how the trofeo R does in terms of number of heat cycles and longevity compared to mpsc2
Old 02-22-2015, 07:48 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Thanks for info, Sam! Let us know how the trofeo R does in terms of number of heat cycles and longevity compared to mpsc2
I will. I have 9 track heat cycles on them as of now but also have around 700 miles of street driving (6 trips total, not sure if they count as heat cycles or not but probably so, especially the two 200 mile legs to/from COTA). I should still be able to compare them to the PSC2.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:50 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...and of course, comparable lap times vs. the cup2s...

Old 02-22-2015, 07:52 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I will. I have 9 track heat cycles on them as of now but also have around 700 miles of street driving (6 trips total, not sure if they count as heat cycles or not but probably so, especially the two 200 mile legs to/from COTA). I should still be able to compare them to the PSC2.
What I've read is that street driving does not get them hot enough to be a heat cycle.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:56 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Conekilr
...and of course, comparable lap times vs. the cup2s...

I posted that on a different thread. They are FASTER no doubt. Two full seconds at COTA and close to a second at the local 1.7 mile track (MSR).

What I've read is that street driving does not get them hot enough to be a heat cycle.
I hope that is correct because I may be necessarily depriving myself of street driving but I'll sit tight with this set and then drive much more with the next set and compare (although the weather will be warmer to make good conclusions; ugh, I can't win).
Old 02-22-2015, 08:01 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

Good point on heat cycled rears with fresh fronts.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:00 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,377 Likes on 2,490 Posts

That's my understanding and experience as well.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:12 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,101 Posts

The guys at Big O monitored tire temps when we were at Sonoma earlier this month. Temps were good/even across. Ben noticed that the car wanted to pull to the right under heavy braking, and the left front rotor was noted to be hotter than the right. I couldn't replicate the problem, though. It could be a driving style issue.
Interesting. Might be interesting pickup some caliper temp stickers and rotor paint (Brembo makes). Calipers should be around 285f max. Rotors int he 550c range in the hot pits w/o cool down. The red paint shouldn't be turning white on the vanes, if so, too hot. On face is Ok. PFC pads right? I think these pads are pretty hot.

On the pulling check the pads are wearing even and no sticky piston, do a quick bleed on all 4 corners.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:25 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Interesting. Might be interesting pickup some caliper temp stickers and rotor paint (Brembo makes). Calipers should be around 285f max. Rotors int he 550c range in the hot pits w/o cool down. The red paint shouldn't be turning white on the vanes, if so, too hot. On face is Ok. PFC pads right? I think these pads are pretty hot.

On the pulling check the pads are wearing even and no sticky piston, do a quick bleed on all 4 corners.
Yes, PFC11 pads. I dont remember the exact temps we recorded that day, unfortunately. I was thinking about doing a bleed on all 4 corners. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2015, 09:29 PM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guys at Big O monitored tire temps when we were at Sonoma earlier this month. Temps were good/even across. Ben noticed that the car wanted to pull to the right under heavy braking, and the left front rotor was noted to be hotter than the right. I couldn't replicate the problem, though. It could be a driving style issue.

Yes, PFC11 pads. I dont remember the exact temps we recorded that day, unfortunately. I was thinking about doing a bleed on all 4 corners. Thanks!
I believe it was 284F on left front caliper and 245F on the right front. I don't remember the rotor temps but higher on the left side.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:49 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by bensf
I believe it was 284F on left front caliper and 245F on the right front. I don't remember the rotor temps but higher on the left side.
Now this is interesting. Why would the temp difference be so significant? If it's not a mechanical issue or track configuration, it may be a case for turning stability control off. I remember on e90 M3s, stability control compensated for oversteer by braking outside front wheel, which caused caliper temp differentials similar to this one. This was detected when someone logged brake pressure per wheel, which M3 allows via canbus. Would be interesting to do something similar with GT3 - maybe stability control is more involved than we think.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:54 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bensf
He lives! Welcome back.

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Now this is interesting. Why would the temp difference be so significant? If it's not a mechanical issue or track configuration, it may be a case for turning stability control off. I remember on e90 M3s, stability control compensated for oversteer by braking outside front wheel, which caused caliper temp differentials similar to this one. This was detected when someone logged brake pressure per wheel, which M3 allows via canbus. Would be interesting to do something similar with GT3 - maybe stability control is more involved than we think.
We can log individual wheel brake pressure through the canbus line on the GT3. I plan to hook up to the canbus line one of these days to the solo DL and we can get a better answer. Max, have you ever experienced the issue Ben had with the car pulling to the right under hard braking?
Old 02-24-2015, 02:45 AM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He lives! Welcome back.
Lol. Thanks. Great job on this thread!

Wish we had something like this 4 years ago for the Spyder.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:00 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Lol. I've been following. Given that I only really enjoy my cars on track, the cayman GT4 speaks to me more. I'm considering selling my spyder for one....
Dude, WTF..... say it ain't so!!!

Like you I'm pretty track-oriented (32-37 days per year) but still not selling the Spyder (love it too much)! But when I buy another Porsche it will be a GT3 or GT4 for sure... not a 981 Spyder.

Speaking of rotor and caliper temps, I've measured as high as 590-ish on rotors and 430-ish on calipers. No, I didn't boil any fluids (Motul 600) but 987 rotors and calipers are still too small.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal