Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

He got in but did he get out ?
Old 06-06-2015, 02:48 PM
CARFANATICA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for this thread

Guys-
I'm new to rennlist but several of the threads have been very useful to me Tools, tire changes, videos, etc.....so i thank everyone for that. My stock rotors finally met the end after 12 good track days. The car is being fitted this week with the AP slotted rotors, PFC 11 pads, etc. I was going to slightly change the camber (from factory to -2.2 / -1.8) without the use of shims as i'm generally in the camp of small tweaks, then re-assess; however, a few posts on this thread have made me think twice.

Question: Given everyone drives their 991 GT3 differently and assuming all else is status quo and that the car is exclusively a TRACK car, what would you say is the best "baseline" setup for camber FR and R that improves grip while maintaining even tire wear?

Thanks!!
Old 06-06-2015, 03:39 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by CARFANATICA
Guys-
I'm new to rennlist but several of the threads have been very useful to me Tools, tire changes, videos, etc.....so i thank everyone for that. My stock rotors finally met the end after 12 good track days. The car is being fitted this week with the AP slotted rotors, PFC 11 pads, etc. I was going to slightly change the camber (from factory to -2.2 / -1.8) without the use of shims as i'm generally in the camp of small tweaks, then re-assess; however, a few posts on this thread have made me think twice.

Question: Given everyone drives their 991 GT3 differently and assuming all else is status quo and that the car is exclusively a TRACK car, what would you say is the best "baseline" setup for camber FR and R that improves grip while maintaining even tire wear?

Thanks!!
I struggled with the same questions. Just this last week I ended up getting -2.9 F/R camber dialed in with shims, and the caster corrected to 9.4 with caster pucks. Will see how it feels next week. Al reversible...
Old 06-06-2015, 04:48 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Guys-

Thanks!!
I finished one set of front tires with -2.0 camber and the wear was fairly even. A little more wear towards the outside edge, but there may be a softer rubber compound out there, which would be expected to wear faster and you want to make use of that rubber for grip.

With the -2.0 camber, my rear tires are wearing fairly evenly across the width, with significant life still on them.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:07 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Guys-

Thanks!!
Super tough question since that really depends on track layout and driving style. For pure track, I suggest start off with -2.7 on all 4 corners and go from there, but that is based on my tracks and my driving style.

Thanks for giving us a data point on OEM rotor longevity. 12 days on the front with what type of pads?

Originally Posted by Mech33
I struggled with the same questions. Just this last week I ended up getting -2.9 F/R camber dialed in with shims, and the caster corrected to 9.4 with caster pucks. Will see how it feels next week. Al reversible...
Nice!
Old 06-08-2015, 12:22 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Thunderhill weekend notes - some good, some bad, some weird

- It was f**king hot. When I left on Sunday, it was 104. 100 for most of the sessions, both days. The car felt down on power.

- Ferodo+AP is working great. I finally have complete confidence in my brakes.

- The Able Corvette guys are really nice guys (if you have a corvette, go there), and they were crazy fast. Running 3:20 with a passenger and 100° outside.

- I wasn't any faster in the Trofeo R. That said, I do like the tires. They are very progressive at the limit. I think I'm just going as fast as I am comfortable at the moment. I look forward to following other GT3s on Friday.

- Trofeos still look great after 3 track days (1 - Laguna, 2 - TH 5 mile). I'm guessing 2-3 more days on them.

- There was a brush fire. If you go off the track, get right back on. They red flagged us right next to them putting it out. Pretty scary, but interesting. Luckily only lost a little track time.

- On day 2, my transmission started acting very strange. It would randomly start upshifting, sometimes to 7th, and putting itself in manual mode. At first, I thought I was accidentally hitting the paddles, but that didn't make any sense. It take a lot of pressure to press the paddles, and that doesn't explain the multiple gears it would upshift. I wonder if it was related to the heat? This was a big problem. I wonder if it would do the same thing if I was in manual mode. Moving the shifter to manual and back to auto immediately fixed the problem. There were no alerts or messages.

- Enjoy my favorite error message:

keep in mind, this screens shows a difference. I'm guessing it's a rounding problem in the UI. It kept going back and forth between -1 and 0. I think one time it said -0.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:49 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Thunderhill weekend notes - some good, some bad, some weird

- It was f**king hot. When I left on Sunday, it was 104. 100 for most of the sessions, both days. The car felt down on power.

- Ferodo+AP is working great. I finally have complete confidence in my brakes.

- The Able Corvette guys are really nice guys (if you have a corvette, go there), and they were crazy fast. Running 3:20 with a passenger and 100° outside.

- I wasn't any faster in the Trofeo R. That said, I do like the tires. They are very progressive at the limit. I think I'm just going as fast as I am comfortable at the moment. I look forward to following other GT3s on Friday.

- Trofeos still look great after 3 track days (1 - Laguna, 2 - TH 5 mile). I'm guessing 2-3 more days on them.

- There was a brush fire. If you go off the track, get right back on. They red flagged us right next to them putting it out. Pretty scary, but interesting. Luckily only lost a little track time.

- On day 2, my transmission started acting very strange. It would randomly start upshifting, sometimes to 7th, and putting itself in manual mode. At first, I thought I was accidentally hitting the paddles, but that didn't make any sense. It take a lot of pressure to press the paddles, and that doesn't explain the multiple gears it would upshift. I wonder if it was related to the heat? This was a big problem. I wonder if it would do the same thing if I was in manual mode. Moving the shifter to manual and back to auto immediately fixed the problem. There were no alerts or messages.
Thanks for the update!

1) Looks like it will be hot next Friday too. We've got a few chances in the am to set some lap times and then it will be downhill after that, unfortunately.

2) Glad to hear you like the Ferodo/AP combo too!

3) Glad to hear that I'm not the only one that hasn't found the trofeo R to be faster. Ben and I didn't feel a significant difference either, and neither did the accelerometer. What pressures were you running?

4) Yellow vette is a beast. This is him taking me down the last time I was out at the 5 mile starting at 2:25

5) Agree on Trofeo R life. I've got 3 days on mine too (2 laguna, 1 sonoma, 308 miles) and they look like they have at least 2 more left in them if not 3.

6) heard about the fire! Yikes. We'll have to talk about that on Friday

7) That's bizarre about your PDK. My GT3 has been to 2 100+ degree track days so far and it's held up just fine. Will keep a closer eye on oil temps this time. It's too bad Solo DL can't log oil temps.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:54 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

There are some instances I've read of the PDK upshift / downshift switches on the steering wheel intermittently connecting and causing spurious upshifts / downshifts. Folks had to have the steering wheel replaced to resolve the issue.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thunderhill weekend notes - some good, some bad, some weird - It was f**king hot. When I left on Sunday, it was 104. 100 for most of the sessions, both days. The car felt down on power. - Ferodo+AP is working great. I finally have complete confidence in my brakes. - The Able Corvette guys are really nice guys (if you have a corvette, go there), and they were crazy fast. Running 3:20 with a passenger and 100° outside. - I wasn't any faster in the Trofeo R. That said, I do like the tires. They are very progressive at the limit. I think I'm just going as fast as I am comfortable at the moment. I look forward to following other GT3s on Friday. - Trofeos still look great after 3 track days (1 - Laguna, 2 - TH 5 mile). I'm guessing 2-3 more days on them. - There was a brush fire. If you go off the track, get right back on. They red flagged us right next to them putting it out. Pretty scary, but interesting. Luckily only lost a little track time. - On day 2, my transmission started acting very strange. It would randomly start upshifting, sometimes to 7th, and putting itself in manual mode. At first, I thought I was accidentally hitting the paddles, but that didn't make any sense. It take a lot of pressure to press the paddles, and that doesn't explain the multiple gears it would upshift. I wonder if it was related to the heat? This was a big problem. I wonder if it would do the same thing if I was in manual mode. Moving the shifter to manual and back to auto immediately fixed the problem. There were no alerts or messages. - Enjoy my favorite error message: keep in mind, this screens shows a difference. I'm guessing it's a rounding problem in the UI. It kept going back and forth between -1 and 0. I think one time it said -0.
Interesting weekend. It never gets to 40 plus Celsius in New Zealand. 30 is about maximum and even then I've noticed a little power difference vs a 15 Celsius day. Maybe due in part to air conditioning (we drive with windows up and on hot days I've got into the habit of forgetting to turn the A/C off!). Hot days on our tracks are rarely goof for personal bests.

Your gearbox issue is a concern (you TPM less so as its a fussy system IMO). To me antidotally it sounds like it could be a heat related issue. I'm surprised the guys in Dubai haven't reported issues at the track as its very hot there - but perhaps they are not pushing the cars as hard as yourself and a few others here. I recall one of the guys here (Estq8?) having a gearbox issue. I can't recall if it was the same symptoms but I don't think it was? PAG replaced the box and gave compensation. I think I've heard of one other incidence like yours but can't recall reason or remedy. See how it behaves next time out and try and get it on film (camera mounted behind driver) so you can replay it to the techs.

I don't know the track (but it's obviously very long and quite technical?). What kind of times did you put in with the GT3 and how did that compare with your or others GT3 times current generation or past?
Old 06-08-2015, 01:15 AM
ToyGuyAZ
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your steering wheel is an issue. I know of three other new GT3's that all had upshifting issues even in manual mode. It's a faulty sensor on the steering wheel and it needs to be replaced.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:21 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mech33
There are some instances I've read of the PDK upshift / downshift switches on the steering wheel intermittently connecting and causing spurious upshifts / downshifts. Folks had to have the steering wheel replaced to resolve the issue.
That actually sounds like a reasonable possibility given the symptoms. I think it's unlikely I can get it fixed by Thursday though.

Tire pressures on the Trofeo were 32-33 hot. Felt best maybe a little lower than that, but it was so hot, it was hard to tell. Tire temps just after coming off were 180-200 all around.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:26 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

That actually sounds like a reasonable possibility given the symptoms. I think it's unlikely I can get it fixed by Thursday though.

Tire pressures on the Trofeo were 32-33 hot. Felt best maybe a little lower than that, but it was so hot, it was hard to tell. Tire temps just after coming off were 180-200 all around.
Looks like you were running higher pressures like me as well. I've been told that the tires work better with 28-29psi. We'll shoot for that Friday and see if the grip is better.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:31 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ToyGuyAZ
Your steering wheel is an issue. I know of three other new GT3's that all had upshifting issues even in manual mode. It's a faulty sensor on the steering wheel and it needs to be replaced.
Thanks! Now I need to see how long it'll take to get that replaced. It didn't seem to happen in regular driving. Maybe the additional stress/g-force triggers it? This is the first time I've had this problem.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:35 AM
the-missile
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macca
Interesting weekend. It never gets to 40 plus Celsius in New Zealand. 30 is about maximum and even then I've noticed a little power difference vs a 15 Celsius day. Maybe due in part to air conditioning (we drive with windows up and on hot days I've got into the habit of forgetting to turn the A/C off!). Hot days on our tracks are rarely goof for personal bests.

Your gearbox issue is a concern (you TPM less so as its a fussy system IMO). To me antidotally it sounds like it could be a heat related issue. I'm surprised the guys in Dubai haven't reported issues at the track as its very hot there - but perhaps they are not pushing the cars as hard as yourself and a few others here. I recall one of the guys here (Estq8?) having a gearbox issue. I can't recall if it was the same symptoms but I don't think it was? PAG replaced the box and gave compensation. I think I've heard of one other incidence like yours but can't recall reason or remedy. See how it behaves next time out and try and get it on film (camera mounted behind driver) so you can replay it to the techs.

I don't know the track (but it's obviously very long and quite technical?). What kind of times did you put in with the GT3 and how did that compare with your or others GT3 times current generation or past?

up to 100% humidity with average 40C degrees temperature and no issue at all driving flat out on track. this PDK box is most probably facing an issue....just saying.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:50 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

I wonder if I can get the dealer to disconnect the paddles until a replacement arrives? I know this was easy in the past. Does anyone know if it's easy on the current wheel? Seems like that might at least let me run to auto for Friday?

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal