991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 10:53 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,382 Likes on 2,493 Posts

^ Thanks for the info, I don't mind some squealing of the pads ... fits the character of the car.

BTW, on the TPM question, I've found my TPM pressures to usually be within ~1 psi of both of my analog mechanical gauges. I routinely keep an eye on tire pressures when on track, to see the relationship between pressures and car behavior, to know when pressures are high enough that I can start to really lean on the car, and for early detection of tire leaks (rare, but it does happen).
Old 05-03-2015, 11:55 AM
Bartron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manifold
^ Thanks for the info, I don't mind some squealing of the pads ... fits the character of the car.

BTW, on the TPM question, I've found my TPM pressures to usually be within ~1 psi of both of my analog mechanical gauges. I routinely keep an eye on tire pressures when on track, to see the relationship between pressures and car behavior, to know when pressures are high enough that I can start to really lean on the car, and for early detection of tire leaks (rare, but it does happen).
Porsche Strikes Again! Turns out my trusty analog gauge is no longer trustworthy after comparing it to a bunch of others. That would explain my consistent error of about 2.5 psi. TPMS was correct all along.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:46 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,382 Likes on 2,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartron
Porsche Strikes Again! Turns out my trusty analog gauge is no longer trustworthy after comparing it to a bunch of others. That would explain my consistent error of about 2.5 psi. TPMS was correct all along.
And some have been known to be off by much more than 2.5 psi. Always good to routinely cross-check your guage(s) against other gauges.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:14 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Joe, I been thinking a lot about changing the caliper bolts to studs. Would this require a brake line change or is there enough slack? thanks
Old 05-07-2015, 04:03 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
Joe, I been thinking a lot about changing the caliper bolts to studs. Would this require a brake line change or is there enough slack? thanks
You can keep the brake lines. The hard brake lines just need to be released by removing 2 bolts on the brackets that are holding the hard lines down. There is enough slack once you release the brackets.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:20 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,019 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
And some have been known to be off by much more than 2.5 psi. Always good to routinely cross-check your guage(s) against other gauges.
I've had a bunch of the expensive oil-filled analog gauges and they tend to be horribly inaccurate. I find that the cheap digital gauges are much better (kinda the way my expensive mechanical IWC never ran as well as a $5 Timex).
Old 05-08-2015, 04:53 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Lots of GT3s and Thunderhill 5 mile today.

My brakes look to have odd wear. Thoughts?
Fronts have glazed looking lines. Weird wear on the outside.

rears are shiny looking. After 5 track days, pads have almost no wear.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:06 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Those look like pad deposits to me. Are you still on PFC11? Go look for Tom (competition autowerks) in garage 2. He's out there today and can take a look for you.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:08 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Those look like pad deposits to me. Are you still on PFC11? Go look for Tom (competition autowerks) in garage 2. He's out there today and can take a look for you.
Yup
Old 05-08-2015, 06:08 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Yup
Look to be glazed front and back. I need to look at the data and see if it's something I'm doing wrong.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:23 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

I thought it was normal. Had it on all cars. By the way, which gt3 was yours? I was in red one that "broke down"
Old 05-08-2015, 11:15 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I thought it was normal. Had it on all cars. By the way, which gt3 was yours? I was in red one that "broke down"
The blue one. Despite what Tom (super nice guy) reported to Joe , I was running 3:33 on totally shot tires (6 days, no tread left on the inside fronts). Last session was consistent 3:36s with a passenger and sliding all over the place. Braking was still pretty strong to the end - I just don't like the feel. I'll probably leave the pads and rotors on, but order the setup Joe has and bring it with me, in case I need to do a "quick" change. (Maybe Tom will be able TH on 6/6-7)? I know I'm losing time on turn in speed. Still getting used to how fast I can enter a turn.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:21 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
The blue one. Despite what Tom (super nice guy) reported to Joe , I was running 3:33 on totally shot tires (6 days, no tread left on the inside fronts). Last session was consistent 3:36s with a passenger and sliding all over the place. Braking was still pretty strong to the end - I just don't like the feel. I'll probably leave the pads and rotors on, but order the setup Joe has and bring it with me, in case I need to do a "quick" change. (Maybe Tom will be able TH on 6/6-7)? I know I'm losing time on turn in speed. Still getting used to how fast I can enter a turn.
Hey man, 3:26 is totally believable for any of us!
Tom is the man, though.

Once the tires are heat cycled out, all bets are off. Lap times for the car have been sub-par the last 2 times it's been out there. The K spec tires still have tread on them with 6 track days/657 track miles/27 heat cycles. Grip was never as good as N spec (1.2 vs 1.3G) and dropped 1.0G after 18 heat cycles. I would advise against getting K spec MPSC2 if you can. Stick with N spec. Having tread left does me no good when grip is worse than plain street tires. The tires are coming off and getting swapped to Trofeo Rs!
Old 05-09-2015, 12:38 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Hey man, 3:26 is totally believable for any of us!
Tom is the man, though.

Once the tires are heat cycled out, all bets are off. Lap times for the car have been sub-par the last 2 times it's been out there. The K spec tires still have tread on them with 6 track days/657 track miles/27 heat cycles. Grip was never as good as N spec (1.2 vs 1.3G) and dropped 1.0G after 18 heat cycles. I would advise against getting K spec MPSC2 if you can. Stick with N spec. Having tread left does me no good when grip is worse than plain street tires. The tires are coming off and getting swapped to Trofeo Rs!
I'm going to have Alekshop put Trofeo Rs on next, just to try. I did like the MPSC2s, though.

p.s. The Able chevy guys were easily putting down low 3:20s. They were smokin' fast.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:40 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

sounds like fun!
wish could have been there

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal