Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015 | 11:33 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Heheh. With mech33's device, you don't have to think about whether the switch is on/off. You just drive.
Just turn away pipes and PSE being off isn't enough. You're still got no to need to up shift a lot.
Old 05-12-2015 | 11:37 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Just turn away pipes and PSE being off isn't enough. You're still got no to need to up shift a lot.
Did you know that even if PSE is off, the valves still open at WOT/high rpm? This system keeps the valves actually closed and bypasses the PSE circuit completely. The PSE button is worthless on or off

Mech33 will post the details later, but with the valves closed (actually closed), it brings you down to 93dB. I'm hoping the pipes will give me that extra 3 dB needed
Old 05-12-2015 | 12:38 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Did you know that even if PSE is off, the valves still open at WOT/high rpm? This system keeps the valves actually closed and bypasses the PSE circuit completely. The PSE button is worthless on or off

Mech33 will post the details later, but with the valves closed (actually closed), it brings you down to 93dB. I'm hoping the pipes will give me that extra 3 dB needed
Valves forced closed gives you ~92.6 dB at the sound booth, which Laguna says is close enough to pass for a 92 dB day. My full day of WOT past the sound booth with no meatball proved it!
Old 05-12-2015 | 02:30 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

I am able to blow sound at 4000rpm (below the auto-open threshold) with PSE off. Last time I did a sound check, that was a little over 92dB.
Old 05-12-2015 | 02:31 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mech33
Valves forced closed gives you ~92.6 dB at the sound booth, which Laguna says is close enough to pass for a 92 dB day. My full day of WOT past the sound booth with no meatball proved it!
Sadly, most days are 90dB. :-(

I was able to pass shifting at just below 4000rpm, which hit 91.8, and they let me go.
Old 05-12-2015 | 02:54 PM
Ohio2Kentucky
Track Day

Subscribed! You have an amazing collection sir.
Old 05-12-2015 | 06:05 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Sadly, most days are 90dB. :-(
Which is why I'm hoping the turnaway pipes will get me the extra 2-3dB needed. We'll see what happens next week. I'm going to stay optimistic for now.

The PSE button seems pretty silly to me. With it off, the only time it seems more quiet is when you are partial throttle around 4-5krpm. WOT and high rpm it always sounds like the valves are open. There's almost no point to it. Am I just deaf?
Old 05-12-2015 | 09:11 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

What's amazing to me is that Laguna Seca sets limits that are below what is clearly DOT-legal. I would have thought the limit would be there to prevent some open-piped special from disturbing the neighbours, not a showroom-stock specimen.
Old 05-13-2015 | 06:10 PM
mlpor
Instructor

Originally Posted by Manifold
^ Also keep in mind that substantial negative camber will also mean less braking capability due to less contact patch.
Is this right? I thought contact patch size is largely determined by the amount of weight on a tire at an given moment and tire pressure?

As, when & if camber affected tire temperature, it'd affect patch size by changing pressure. As camber affected patch shape, say making the patch "wider" vs. longer in relation to braking forces, I suppose that'd affect braking, as would temperature variation across the contact patch.

Last edited by mlpor; 05-13-2015 at 06:11 PM. Reason: add subscription to thread
Old 05-13-2015 | 06:34 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by mlpor
Is this right? I thought contact patch size is largely determined by the amount of weight on a tire at an given moment and tire pressure?

As, when & if camber affected tire temperature, it'd affect patch size by changing pressure. As camber affected patch shape, say making the patch "wider" vs. longer in relation to braking forces, I suppose that'd affect braking, as would temperature variation across the contact patch.
A lot of negative camber will load the inner edge of the tires more, resulting in less contact patch when the car is braking in a straight line. Weight on the tire does affect size of the contact patch, but the contact patch is a function of multiple variables.
Old 05-13-2015 | 08:13 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mech33
Good luck on Friday to y'all!! I'm waiting to hear all the gory details. You got me wondering if I can fix this to my track bike and some how link it to the butterfly valve?!?!?!?? I could never get past sound check at LS.
Old 05-13-2015 | 11:17 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Got the car back from the shop today. Had a set of trofeo Rs mounted, but it was discovered that my rear passenger wheel was bent. My best guess is that it happened from slamming into the triangular berm outer edge where there is a dropoff at T3 west Thunderhill. Wheel can be fixed, so no big deal there.

Caster is now back to factory spec (8.x? degrees). Things to note about adjusting caster:
I purchased the 996/997 adjustable thrust arm bushings from RSS. These fit into the LCA perfectly. However, you need a spacer in order to have it line up with the thrust arm. RSS doesn't make a spacer to make the bushing fit on the 991, so a custom one was milled to address the issue. RSS plans to make spacers of their own eventually. My OEM bushing are being sent to them.

Here is a pic that shows the gap between the thrust arm and the bushing after it was installed (original bushing in background to the right)

This is after everything was installed with the custom spacer made:

This is a pic of the 991 cup bushing. Maybe this will fit without having to use a spacer?

I have no idea why Porsche screwed us on caster adjustment. Kind of a let down. Why give us camber adjustability when there isn't enough caster playroom?

Trofeo Rs. Mounted. Looking at the outer shoulders, they aren't as big/aggressive as the MSPC2, so I can see why Trofeo R need more negative camber. Running -2.9 on all 4 corners this time.

Old 05-14-2015 | 12:39 AM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Got the car back from the shop today. Had a set of trofeo Rs mounted, but it was discovered that my rear passenger wheel was bent. My best guess is that it happened from slamming into the triangular berm outer edge where there is a dropoff at T3 west Thunderhill. Wheel can be fixed, so no big deal there.
Sorry to hear about your bent wheel, Joe. Have you actually found a rim repair shop that can mount your centerlock wheel? I had two bent wheels last year and could not find a single shop in the Northeast that could handle a centerlock. And I got not a single suggestion from several requests for help here on Rennlist.

Fortunately, I have a brother-in-law who is a master machinist. He made centerlock-to-five-lug adaptor that I could give to any shop so that they could mount my wheels on their machine. I can post a photo of the adaptor if you'd like.

Good luck!
Old 05-14-2015 | 01:01 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by IvanBurns
Sorry to hear about your bent wheel, Joe. Have you actually found a rim repair shop that can mount your centerlock wheel? I had two bent wheels last year and could not find a single shop in the Northeast that could handle a centerlock. And I got not a single suggestion from several requests for help here on Rennlist.

Fortunately, I have a brother-in-law who is a master machinist. He made centerlock-to-five-lug adaptor that I could give to any shop so that they could mount my wheels on their machine. I can post a photo of the adaptor if you'd like.

Good luck!
There's actually a guy who happens to be in the city that I live in who is the 'go to guy' for any wheel issue in the Bay Area. Thankfully, he's got it all covered. He's worked with plenty of center locks in the past.
Old 05-14-2015 | 03:02 AM
doborder
Rennlist Member

There's actually a guy who happens to be in the city that I live in who is the 'go to guy' for any wheel issue in the Bay Area. Thankfully, he's got it all covered. He's worked with plenty of center locks in the past.
You must be talking about Jose... He is a magician with rims...

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal