Damn, that Ben sure is quick!
Old 01-11-2016, 11:52 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
1:37!?!?!!!

Damn, that Ben sure is quick!
Tell me about it. Everytime I beat his best time, he instantly goes out and beats me again. Always .2-.5 seconds faster than me. EVERY TIME. LOL
Old 01-12-2016, 12:53 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Successful run at MRLS yesterday in the GT3. No issues. It was running 1:37, but no match for the new Viper ACRs :

1:37?? Damn you guys are ridiculous.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:24 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

How much tread on the MPSC2s do you think I need to start an open track day at TH? I've got maybe 3mm left in the middle of the fronts. Wondering if I need to switch. I have a new set of the Dunlops, but I am afraid of their ability to handle an open track day.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:26 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
How much tread on the MPSC2s do you think I need to start an open track day at TH? I've got maybe 3mm left in the middle of the fronts. Wondering if I need to switch. I have a new set of the Dunlops, but I am afraid of their ability to handle an open track day.
I assume these are the front tires? Probably ok, but the tires won't grip as much as you want. Dunlops will be good for 2 days on the front. They are great tires. You might get some great lap times with them.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:16 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

My rule is when there is no tread on the outside shoulder, it means one more day. In reality, it can be 6-7 sessions, but the last 3-4 will be bad. If centers wear out first, grip takes a dive with about 1mm left in the center, so you probably have ~4 typical sessions before you start to lose grip. Now, if it rains, it's a very different story ;-)
Old 02-27-2016, 01:44 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Joe et al, have you rotated the front Dunlops? They don't appear to be directional. Just finished 2 days at LS and there is a fair amount of wear on the front right. Was thinking about swapping for a TH weekend.
Old 02-27-2016, 03:11 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,650 Likes on 767 Posts

I have 2 Dinlops for the front (RS) laying around. I kill tears about 2:1.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:14 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Joe et al, have you rotated the front Dunlops? They don't appear to be directional. Just finished 2 days at LS and there is a fair amount of wear on the front right. Was thinking about swapping for a TH weekend.
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I have 2 Dinlops for the front (RS) laying around. I kill tears about 2:1.
Yes, you can swap left to right. I always have to swap sides after a track day to even out wear. Thill is the worst. Almost tempting to run more negative camber just on the right side for that track.

I still wonder why the rears on the RS wear faster and its the opposite on the gt3. Is it just because the RS has wider front tires? Then there is the weird thing that happens when you run trofeoR on the gt3 and all of the sudden the rears wear much faster than the front....
Old 02-28-2016, 09:39 AM
alaint101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by devenh
I just received mine yesterday and will have it installed next week. I'll post a review with pictures. I will tell you now that getting in and all hooked up takes a little longer and that you sit on three straps -- one under each leg and one waist high on your back -- and these may feel uncomfortable for prolonged drives (I'll have to test this). Given my intended use, I think these will work well and are much simpler to install.
Deven,

I wasn't able to locate your post-install update and pics. Could you point me in the right direction?

I have a bit of heartburn doing what Joe did to my RS seats. In addition, the fact that the buckle is left sitting there on the seat is a bit challenging since I like to DD the car so your solution seems interesting.

That or buying another set of seats pre-cut but then I'd be walking from the nice LWB seats...

Any help or thoughts from anyone would be appreciated. I've been searching the site quite extensively. I am looking to set this up in March - roll bar, harness, hans, etc. - prior to the April track season start. (Northeast)

Thanks
Old 02-28-2016, 06:41 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by alaint101
Deven,

I wasn't able to locate your post-install update and pics. Could you point me in the right direction?

I have a bit of heartburn doing what Joe did to my RS seats. In addition, the fact that the buckle is left sitting there on the seat is a bit challenging since I like to DD the car so your solution seems interesting.

That or buying another set of seats pre-cut but then I'd be walking from the nice LWB seats...

Any help or thoughts from anyone would be appreciated. I've been searching the site quite extensively. I am looking to set this up in March - roll bar, harness, hans, etc. - prior to the April track season start. (Northeast)

Thanks
Get a buckle set where the buckles are removable and reinstall for track days..
Old 03-01-2016, 06:46 AM
alaint101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
Thanks - European Performance Engineering guys said something similar. Sounds like a plan.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:53 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
The standard Schroth GT3 harness center buckle is removable, allowing you to tuck everything away between track days.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:32 PM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Trofeo R vs. MSC2 - 8 sets of Trofeo Rs later.......

Guys,

I have been churning through Joe's track journal and read a number of posts about Trofeo R vs. MSC2.

I would like to share that I experienced 8 or more complete sets of Trofeo Rs on my 997.2 GTS over the last couple years.

When I first tried these tires at Sears I was amazed by their grip. Then I adjusted the camber to -3 all around (thanks to Tony of TC Design), and ran the tires at 30-32 psi hot. I had GT3 LCAs and RSS solid bushings as well and a TC bar. The GTS felt like solid billet. Wow, my lap times dropped as I got a feel for the tires over a few track days. Almost as good as pro coaching! Many track days later I still liked the tires.

I did notice that the Trofeo side walls easily rolled over at 24-25 psi cold when starting a session and it really took at least two laps or till 28 psi for that to stabilize. The tires were great for about four days and then fall off rapidly on the 5th, about 4-5 heat cycles per day. I did also notice that at the limit of adhesion that the Trofeos would step out a bit suddenly and that got worse as the tires aged.

Anyway, now I have a 991 GT3 and am learning how to drive this phenomenal car. I am running -2.5 and -2.0 camber with a knats *** of toe in, rear sway stiffest....got another TC bar in it as well.

To make a short story long, and I am likely in the minority, the MSC2s have made the Trofeos obsolete. The tires grip is up there with the Trofeos, but don't step out suddenly at all. The tires are predictable and set up a slip angle that can be modulated with the proper skill and cajones. The sidewalls don't roll over at low pressures (24-25 psi) like the Trofeos. I can feel the tires grow in at 26 psi or so and they work well up to 32 psi. I run 29 F and 30 psi R hot.

Finally, the Michelins have that deep tread and are good in the water or rain. They wear well and take offs may be suitable for the street after heat cycled out. They are less expensive. Whats not to like?

OK, I am comparing Trofeos on a 997.2 set up like a GT3 to MSC2 on a 991 GT3, so apples to oranges, but I think the characteristics for these tires may be consistent across multiple platforms...

Thanks for reading, I am back to monitoring. Have fun, stay safe.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:22 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by unclejosh
Guys,

I have been churning through Joe's track journal and read a number of posts about Trofeo R vs. MSC2.

I would like to share that I experienced 8 or more complete sets of Trofeo Rs on my 997.2 GTS over the last couple years.

When I first tried these tires at Sears I was amazed by their grip. Then I adjusted the camber to -3 all around (thanks to Tony of TC Design), and ran the tires at 30-32 psi hot. I had GT3 LCAs and RSS solid bushings as well and a TC bar. The GTS felt like solid billet. Wow, my lap times dropped as I got a feel for the tires over a few track days. Almost as good as pro coaching! Many track days later I still liked the tires.

I did notice that the Trofeo side walls easily rolled over at 24-25 psi cold when starting a session and it really took at least two laps or till 28 psi for that to stabilize. The tires were great for about four days and then fall off rapidly on the 5th, about 4-5 heat cycles per day. I did also notice that at the limit of adhesion that the Trofeos would step out a bit suddenly and that got worse as the tires aged.

Anyway, now I have a 991 GT3 and am learning how to drive this phenomenal car. I am running -2.5 and -2.0 camber with a knats *** of toe in, rear sway stiffest....got another TC bar in it as well.

To make a short story long, and I am likely in the minority, the MSC2s have made the Trofeos obsolete. The tires grip is up there with the Trofeos, but don't step out suddenly at all. The tires are predictable and set up a slip angle that can be modulated with the proper skill and cajones. The sidewalls don't roll over at low pressures (24-25 psi) like the Trofeos. I can feel the tires grow in at 26 psi or so and they work well up to 32 psi. I run 29 F and 30 psi R hot.

Finally, the Michelins have that deep tread and are good in the water or rain. They wear well and take offs may be suitable for the street after heat cycled out. They are less expensive. Whats not to like?

OK, I am comparing Trofeos on a 997.2 set up like a GT3 to MSC2 on a 991 GT3, so apples to oranges, but I think the characteristics for these tires may be consistent across multiple platforms...

Thanks for reading, I am back to monitoring. Have fun, stay safe.
Thanks for posting this! When it comes to trofeoR, opinions are very polarized. I'm firmly in the camp that prefers cup2 and Dunlop over the trofeoR

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal