Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 11:40 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

My track days:

4/26 - Thunderhill with NCRC (first time, wish me luck)
5/23 - Sonoma with SpeedSF - join me if you can - Sonoma on a weekend is a rare opportunity.

I'll also come to Joe's day if I'm in the country - have a trip pending, which I hope will not interfere.

I'm hoping to do another day between 4/26 and 5/23 - any ideas (cannot do May 14-17)?
Old 04-23-2015, 12:08 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
My track days:

5/23 - Sonoma with SpeedSF - join me if you can - Sonoma on a weekend is a rare opportunity.

I'll also come to Joe's day if I'm in the country - have a trip pending, which I hope will not interfere.

I'm hoping to do another day between 4/26 and 5/23 - any ideas (cannot do May 14-17)?
I'll be at Laguna on 5/22. Depending on tire situation, maybe I'll try 5/23, but that may be pushing it
Old 04-23-2015, 01:22 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

My track days:

Too bad 5/23 is Memorial Day weekend or I'd be in.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

My track days:

NCRC, avoid all Hondas, Miata and suburu, then u will be safe.
so, u should stay under the canopy, which u have to pay for. and don't get on track.

joe, NCRC has been charging e,ever shop fee for many years. u just noticed?

Originally Posted by ggt3guy
We ran THill the usual way on Saturday then switched over to backwards midday Sunday. I had never done backwards. It's actually quite fun. I found turn 9 to be a bit of challenge as you want to slow before it levels but (don't want to be on the brakes going over the hump so to speak). I know I was loosing time there. The racers were getting air on the bypass going backwards. Didn't try to find out the speed where lift off occurred...
sorry to tell u that nature has certain order. I walk with feet on ground. I eat through mouth. TH is not meant to be driven CW. t5 is a disaster. sure airborne is cool until u flip. and T1 is great until pit wall spilt cat in half longitudinally. something I just rather not try.

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Will PM you!

+1000. The CFRA concept makes a lot of sense to me. Their schedule in the past never worked out for me, but it looks like I can make 1-2 of their events this year and will try to do so!
CFRA is great I'm a member.
they use INVITE bc it's non profit club and everyone knows everyone, less likely to have yahoos.

but joe, u and Ed (the head) may not get along.... I am bursting laughing now....
Old 04-26-2015, 01:11 AM
Bartron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPMS

Joe, hope you don't mind me posting in here but this seems to be one of the de facto track threads.

I'm curious how accurate people are finding the TPMS. I was finding that it significantly under-measures the tire pressure based on pressure gauge readings. At one point during the track day they stopped working and wouldn't report a pressure, then woke up as usual for the next lapping session.

Has anyone used the dealer to reprogram the alarm limits? I ask because the alarms are annoying when the car thinks the pressure is 25psi but it's actually 27 and will warm to 30 very quickly on the track (front).

I have previously ran on the track with TPMS display on to monitor the tires. Now I find all I see is red and warnings despite the actual pressures being at or just below spec.

Hope this makes sense to someone.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:30 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bartron
Joe, hope you don't mind me posting in here but this seems to be one of the de facto track threads.

I'm curious how accurate people are finding the TPMS. I was finding that it significantly under-measures the tire pressure based on pressure gauge readings. At one point during the track day they stopped working and wouldn't report a pressure, then woke up as usual for the next lapping session.

Has anyone used the dealer to reprogram the alarm limits? I ask because the alarms are annoying when the car thinks the pressure is 25psi but it's actually 27 and will warm to 30 very quickly on the track (front).

I have previously ran on the track with TPMS display on to monitor the tires. Now I find all I see is red and warnings despite the actual pressures being at or just below spec.

Hope this makes sense to someone.
Did you try putting the TPMS in "Circuit" mode? I like being able to monitor the pressure live. It seemed accurate to within ~2 psi when I checked. But mine also went on the fritz for one of the sessions and wouldn't report, then came back again at the next session.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:43 AM
Bartron
Racer

Originally Posted by Mech33
Did you try putting the TPMS in "Circuit" mode? I like being able to monitor the pressure live. It seemed accurate to within ~2 psi when I checked. But mine also went on the fritz for one of the sessions and wouldn't report, then came back again at the next session.
Yeah, tried circuit mode but to program a real 29 front, the TPMS reads 27 and won't let me program a low pressure. Alternatively, I programmed 31 front but that seemed to be like a 33+ front.

I'm with you, it's nice to monitor it live. I also want to know if there's a tire problem right away.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:34 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I've found the tpms monitor to be accurate, but it can be inconsistent, especially when the tires are still cold. Once warmed up, the temps match what I get on my analog gauge.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:09 AM
Bartron
Racer

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I've found the tpms monitor to be accurate, but it can be inconsistent, especially when the tires are still cold. Once warmed up, the temps match what I get on my analog gauge.
Thanks Joe, I'll keep comparing. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how much to bleed when hot yet avoid serious under inflation during first few laps.

When you guys are heading out for next session and the car has been sitting for 40-60 min, what cold pressures are you comfortable with?
Old 04-26-2015, 01:35 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bartron
Thanks Joe, I'll keep comparing. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how much to bleed when hot yet avoid serious under inflation during first few laps.

When you guys are heading out for next session and the car has been sitting for 40-60 min, what cold pressures are you comfortable with?
I'm down as low as 24F/26R when cold
Old 05-03-2015, 01:12 AM
clex2
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default AP rotor and Ferodo pad setup

I don't post much here on Rennlist, but I am one of the co-owners of orthojoe's GT3. If there is anything I can claim credit for, it's the plate. Otherwise, everything you see here is Joe's own fantasy being played out here on this forum and it's a damn good one too.

I just got back from Thunderhill on Friday and Joe asked me to post up my impressions of the AP Racing rotors and Ferodo pad setup. In one word: Transformative. It's not that the prior set up was lacking in stopping power. The PFC-11 pads never faded and always provided the expected stopping power, but with the Ferodo DS1.11 pads, pedal feel is now up to the level of the rest of the car. Whereas the PFC-11s had a somewhat spongy feel requiring more pedal travel to stop the car, the Ferodos now give the pedal a rock hard feel which is what I think most of us would find better suited to threshold braking. The pedal travel is significantly reduced and modulation is more directly related to the pressure applied and not how far the pedal is depressed. I had much more confidence under braking and I could feel the ABS working through the ball of my foot whereas the prior seutp with the PFC did not communicate that as clearly.

As for the rotors, I'm not sure they made that much of a difference: J hooks vs drilled. If anything, there is probably more surface area with the AP set up so bite may be better. The real test would be to run the pads with the stock rotors, but I'm willing to bet it's the pads more than anything else. The RBF600 fluid is the same, not even flushed.

The only downside, and to me it's a minimal price to pay, is that the pads squeal just before coming to a stop.

Next, we'll see how long they last, but the Ferodo DS1.11 seem like a worthwhile pad.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:06 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by clex2
I don't post much here on Rennlist, but I am one of the co-owners of orthojoe's GT3. If there is anything I can claim credit for, it's the plate. Otherwise, everything you see here is Joe's own fantasy being played out here on this forum and it's a damn good one too.

I just got back from Thunderhill on Friday and Joe asked me to post up my impressions of the AP Racing rotors and Ferodo pad setup. In one word: Transformative. It's not that the prior set up was lacking in stopping power. The PFC-11 pads never faded and always provided the expected stopping power, but with the Ferodo DS1.11 pads, pedal feel is now up to the level of the rest of the car. Whereas the PFC-11s had a somewhat spongy feel requiring more pedal travel to stop the car, the Ferodos now give the pedal a rock hard feel which is what I think most of us would find better suited to threshold braking. The pedal travel is significantly reduced and modulation is more directly related to the pressure applied and not how far the pedal is depressed. I had much more confidence under braking and I could feel the ABS working through the ball of my foot whereas the prior seutp with the PFC did not communicate that as clearly.

As for the rotors, I'm not sure they made that much of a difference: J hooks vs drilled. If anything, there is probably more surface area with the AP set up so bite may be better. The real test would be to run the pads with the stock rotors, but I'm willing to bet it's the pads more than anything else. The RBF600 fluid is the same, not even flushed.

The only downside, and to me it's a minimal price to pay, is that the pads squeal just before coming to a stop.

Next, we'll see how long they last, but the Ferodo DS1.11 seem like a worthwhile pad.
Thanks for the review. Is the DS1.11 squealing louder than the stock pads?
Old 05-03-2015, 02:39 AM
clex2
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The Ferodos squeal as you are coming to a stop (10 -0 mph) whereas the stock and PFC11 pads make no noise.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:57 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,382 Likes on 2,493 Posts

Good info on the Ferodo pads. The brake pedal has felt better in my car after flushing with SRF, but I see room for improvement in the areas you describe, so the Ferodo looks very tempting.

On their website (http://www.ferodoracing.com/products...e-pads/ds1-11/), I noticed a warning about the pad not being suitable for road use; I wonder how strict that is, given that I certainly don't intend to swap pads back and forth for road and track.

Their website only points to one US distributor: http://www.essexparts.com/catalogsea..._add_to_cart=0. Are there any other US sources?
Old 05-03-2015, 10:28 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mech33
Thanks for the review. Is the DS1.11 squealing louder than the stock pads?
While we only had the stock pads on the car for 24 hours, I'm certain the Ferodos make more noise than the stock pads. In terms of noise:

PFC11<stock<<DS1.11

Mech, if you DD the car, the noise will probably get to you eventually.

Originally Posted by Manifold
Good info on the Ferodo pads. The brake pedal has felt better in my car after flushing with SRF, but I see room for improvement in the areas you describe, so the Ferodo looks very tempting.

On their website (http://www.ferodoracing.com/products...e-pads/ds1-11/), I noticed a warning about the pad not being suitable for road use; I wonder how strict that is, given that I certainly don't intend to swap pads back and forth for road and track.

Their website only points to one US distributor: http://www.essexparts.com/catalogsea..._add_to_cart=0. Are there any other US sources?
The pads aren't 'suitable' for road use because of the noise they make. Once the deposits are shaved off from cold street braking, you will get a squeal at every stop. It's loud, but not ear piercing. If that bothers you, it's not the right pad. That being said, I think it's a GREAT track pad. It outperforms the PFC11, which I was surprised at.

Apex Performance is another vender that distributes Ferodo and AP products for our cars. http://www.apexperformance.net/
PM, email, or call Clark

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal