Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 10:55 PM
CARFANATICA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Alignment is not something you want to DIY unless you you have a laser alignment rack readily available that you know how to use.

You want more negative camber to account for increased wear on the outer edge of the tire from hard cornering. Increased camber should actually IMPROVE tire wear and life, not decrease it. If you're outer edges are wearing, in general you want more negative camber.

There is no set rule on what camber works for everyone. It is different for everyone based on track, skill level, driving style, and type of tire. In the past, most setups like less negative camber in the rear, not more. I'm setting the car up with -2.9 on all 4 corners running trofeo R next.
Thanks for comments. In that case, I think I'll leave factory settings on camber until I get through several sets of tires and more seat time getting comfortable with the car before making a determination; my wear is generally even across the tires...Thx..keep posting on your "journal thread". I'm heading to GT3 'experience' in ATL tomorrow....
Old 05-11-2015, 11:07 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CARFANATICA
Guys-
I'm new to all of this, but i have a 991 GT3 that i,ve tracked 2400 miles out of 3,000 on car and an RS SEPT build. I have learned a LOT by reading this particular forum by OrthoJoe - thanks and great job. I think i'd like to go more negative on the camber b/c from what i read and from what y'all are telling me - it can improve handling and traction but at the cost of faster tire wear (which i can live with). That said, i am a finance guy and know very little about mechanical engineering - except i like DIY stuff (satisfying). I didn't think the CL wheel change was a problem - and thats the extent of my 'experience' (lol). That said, can someone explain to me how exactly to change it (without shims) and just as importantly WHY it helps - meaning what is the engineering behind the degrees/angle - what's it adjusting on the car? and therefore why do you guys have more negative on front versus back? I've read that stock is -1.4 to -1.5 all four corners...and i was thinking of starting slowly (changing to -2.0 on all 4) to see if i can actually feel a difference on track. I know this is a basic question, but figured that was one of the reasons behind the forum and no doubt you guys know more than me! Don't know if it matters, but my home track is HEAVY right turns (Road ATL). My knowledge base on Toe and Caster is ZERO too, but i'll tackle that later....what i do know is that i like to go fast. Thx in advance, Richard
First - congrats to you for enjoying your car to the fullest and using it in its natural habitat - the track.

Just to clarify one point in case it wasn't clear: increasing negative camber will generally increase grip and promote even wear when driving on track, but will result in accelerated wear when driving on the street. On the street, lots of negative camber will wear the inside edges of the tires. -3 degrees is a lot of camber for a car that gets any significant street driving, but it doesn't sound as if that's the case for your car.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:10 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
First - congrats to you for enjoying your car to the fullest and using it in its natural habitat - the track.

Just to clarify one point in case it wasn't clear: increasing negative camber will generally increase grip and promote even wear when driving on track, but will result in accelerated wear when driving on the street. On the street, lots of negative camber will wear the inside edges of the tires. -3 degrees is a lot of camber for a car that gets any significant street driving, but it doesn't sound as if that's the case for your car.
The accelerated street wear is due to the fact you can't load the suspension on the street like you do on the track, correct ?
Old 05-11-2015, 11:27 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
The accelerated street wear is due to the fact you can't load the suspension on the street like you do on the track, correct ?
Correct
Old 05-11-2015, 11:41 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,382 Likes on 2,493 Posts

^ Also keep in mind that substantial negative camber will also mean less braking capability due to less contact patch.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:33 AM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I should be asking this question over on one of the Performance & Competition threads, but I like this thread, so I'll give it a go here.

Most of us here agree that the R-Compound Cup2's heat cycle out before the tread wears out. Question is, what constitutes a heat cycle? I get the concept of the tires heating up and cooling down. But if you have two drivers with back to back runs at a DE event, I assume that would be one heat cycle because the tires wouldn't have time to cool down.

But how much or how long does it take for a cool down to constitute a heat cycle? 10 minutes, 20 minutes, or one hour, etc.? Or what temperature drop? I have a tire pyrometer to measure temperature if someone can tell me what constitutes a cool down.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:51 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by IvanBurns
Maybe I should be asking this question over on one of the Performance & Competition threads, but I like this thread, so I'll give it a go here.

Most of us here agree that the R-Compound Cup2's heat cycle out before the tread wears out. Question is, what constitutes a heat cycle? I get the concept of the tires heating up and cooling down. But if you have two drivers with back to back runs at a DE event, I assume that would be one heat cycle because the tires wouldn't have time to cool down.

But how much or how long does it take for a cool down to constitute a heat cycle? 10 minutes, 20 minutes, or one hour, etc.? Or what temperature drop? I have a tire pyrometer to measure temperature if someone can tell me what constitutes a cool down.
In my experience, the N spec OEM MPSC2 are the grippiest their first 15 heat cycles, then they drop off a little, but not nearly bad enough where you want to replace them. The fronts will last all of way down the tread and the rears will have tread left, but will be really heat cycled out by then.

When my buddy and I were running back to back sessions, we found that the tires needed 1/2 hour of rest before full grip would return. Based on that, I think 1/2 hour of rest would equal one heat cycle.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:39 AM
Bartron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear Joe and the rest of the Wise TrackMasters,

I've noted that after several hot lapping sessions I get some leakage of brake fluid from the bleeder nipples. I had the same problem on my 997.2 despite checking bleeder nipple torque and having had the dealer replace all four.

Is this a common issue related to heating and expansion of the calipers relative to the bleeder nipple? Anything to worry about besides rinsing off the brake fluid from the calipers to keep them purdy, then checking the brake fluid reservoir for level?
Old 05-12-2015, 02:14 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bartron

I've noted that after several hot lapping sessions I get some leakage of brake fluid from the bleeder nipples. I had the same problem on my 997.2 despite checking bleeder nipple torque and having had the dealer replace all four.

Is this a common issue related to heating and expansion of the calipers relative to the bleeder nipple? Anything to worry about besides rinsing off the brake fluid from the calipers to keep them purdy, then checking the brake fluid reservoir for level?
It's usually a sign of fluid boiling over from excess heat. I've seen it in brake systems that aren't robust enough for the application. I haven't seen any yet in the GT3, but I'm taking it to Laguna next week, which is much harder on brakes.

3 things to consider:
1) are you cooling down your brakes last lap?
2) are you using aftermarket fluid with a higher boiling point?
3) is your track brutal on brakes?
Old 05-12-2015, 02:20 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartron

Does not seem normal to me. Could be cross-threaded nipples, missing some seals, if there are any, or just nipples not tightened enough. Get it checked by a trusted mechanic or retighten yourself if you know how. improperly tightened nipples can pop from heat, leaving you with little to no brakes at full speed. That happened to me at Watkins Glen on another car - the mechanic who did it got an earful after...
Old 05-12-2015, 02:23 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

It's usually a sign of fluid boiling over from excess heat. I've seen it in brake systems that aren't robust enough for the application. I haven't seen any yet in the GT3, but I'm taking it to Laguna next week, which is much harder on brakes.

3 things to consider:
1) are you cooling down your brakes last lap?
2) are you using aftermarket fluid with a higher boiling point?
3) is your track brutal on brakes?
+1 on cool down laps. Parking with hot rotors can cause all kinds of issues.

Joe, what are you doing for sound at Laguna?
Old 05-12-2015, 02:26 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
+1 on cool down laps. Parking with hot rotors can cause all kinds of issues.

Joe, what are you doing for sound at Laguna?
Oh, that's a surprise that I'll let Mech33 elaborate on.

It involves a very special switch just for turn 5 combined with a simple turn away pipe. Let's hope it's enough!
Old 05-12-2015, 03:46 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

^ dude trust me. after 5 laps you will forget if the switch is on or off.
i can't remmber when i had the switch for 7.2RS.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:17 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

Oh, that's a surprise that I'll let Mech33 elaborate on.

It involves a very special switch just for turn 5 combined with a simple turn away pipe. Let's hope it's enough!
Special indeed! GPS-based direct exhaust valve control that forces valves shut just near turn 5 sound booth, then open again for the rest of the track. Testing it at Laguna on Friday... Will create a thread on it shortly so folks can duplicate if they want.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:54 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mooty
^ dude trust me. after 5 laps you will forget if the switch is on or off.
i can't remmber when i had the switch for 7.2RS.
Originally Posted by Mech33
Special indeed! GPS-based direct exhaust valve control that forces valves shut just near turn 5 sound booth, then open again for the rest of the track. Testing it at Laguna on Friday... Will create a thread on it shortly so folks can duplicate if they want.
Heheh. With mech33's device, you don't have to think about whether the switch is on/off. You just drive.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal