Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 05:07 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
I've been interested for a while, but haven't met anyone who invited others. I'm not sure how I feel about that style of exclusion.
It's not like that... you just have to know a current member and they basically vouch for your skill and courteousy level matching the "no novices" requirements.

There's also a feedback mechanism on those first timers to make sure they're not driving like douche bags before offering permanent membership.

Seems like a useful filter method that is low overhead for the club management.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:29 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ggt3guy
Hi Joe,

I'm new to Rennlist (been lurking for the last 12 months while waiting on my car - white 2015 GT3 with LWB). I'd be very interested to join you on June 12 at THill. I just got back from Thill this weekend running with NASA and desperately need another fix. Do you have any openings left? I'm running HPDE 4 at NASA however my THill times are definitely slower than a lot of you guys. I've been running an E36 M3 the last few years and still getting used to the rediculous power this car has.
Will PM you!

Originally Posted by doba_s
SpeedSF is a good group to run with. A lot of fast guys

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Frankly the more exclusive the better.

Dont like
1. People who think its a race and drive 10/10s in their miata and dont let me around them
2. People who drive $300k Scud and are doing 5 mph around corners

If vetting removes these people color me interested
+1000. The CFRA concept makes a lot of sense to me. Their schedule in the past never worked out for me, but it looks like I can make 1-2 of their events this year and will try to do so!
Old 04-22-2015, 06:32 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Hi Joe,

I'm new to Rennlist (been lurking for the last 12 months while waiting on my car - white 2015 GT3 with LWB). I'd be very interested to join you on June 12 at THill. I just got back from Thill this weekend running with NASA and desperately need another fix. Do you have any openings left? I'm running HPDE 4 at NASA however my THill times are definitely slower than a lot of you guys. I've been running an E36 M3 the last few years and still getting used to the rediculous power this car has.
Just tried to PM you, but it won't let me because you are too new. Can you PM me? If not, post a few more so you can PM me and I'll send you all the details of the event via email.

I just missed you last weekend. I was at thill this past Friday. I think you probably ran into the new owner of my boxster spyder, though.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:36 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Their season opener ended up with 3 totaled cars. Over the years, I've found that their policing of people running in the appropriate run groups continues to degrade. The popularity of the hobby continues to grow, and with that, so does the number of yahoos that show up. Solo and point by are particularly erratic, IMO. Open has been ok in my experience, but not all my buddies can run in open. Unfortunately, I find myself boxed into HOD, PCA, and private events at this point. I'd like to give speedSF a shot, and I'm also looking into the feasability of buying out entire run groups for just friends to run together to minimize the 'riff raff' effect.
I made the mistake of running 1x with NCRC. What a bunch of nut-jobs. Absolutely no vetting or management of the run groups.
Here in SoCal, I stick with PCA, Private, HOD, POC, BMW CCA events. Heard decent things about speed district, speed ventures is hit or miss, and not good things about extreme speed.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

It's not riff raff that crashes.

I've had a panic attack when the 60 year old drag racer including gold chain showed up for his very first track day in his brand new Z06... Turned out they guy was a natural and we had an awesome day. Drove like he had 10 track days by the end of the day.
Of course there are disaster students out there that have had 10 days and should just go play golf, but that does not mean they are not having fun and should not be there. Its just that they likely never should get signed off solo, but many aren't looking to get signed off, just to have fun.

My first responsibility as an instructor is to make it safe, than fun, than we see what's next depending on the driver.

But that falls on the organization; Everyone thinks they can drive and they came to the track to go FLATOUT right?
Its squarely up to the instructors to be really, really sure a student is ready to go solo. So sure that if you recommend a driver to the chief instructor and he does not sign the student off for solo its a a problem for the instructor.
Example; I had a student once that was ready, but mu last words were try not to impress the guy, just drive normal. He took that for driving way slower than we had been and so was not "driving" the car. Chief instructor came up to me and said WTF??!! and they gave me ****box cars for a couple of times to instruct in.

On the other hand, students often want to go solo ASAP, but even if they are safe they stop learning and (re) creating bad habits.
I tell students that if they think I got nothing left to teach, spring for a coach immediately and get to the next level. If they still need basic help, I tell them they can safe the $1000 and stick with an instructor for a few events more.

But the ****ty organizations that lack good instructors sign of drivers just because they ask and I often know that they will crash before they do. I won beer predicting what corner and what session.
I've been on track with a group where my green student was an instructor the next day!?

The more the organizers think they are Ricky Bobby the more cars hit the wall.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:15 PM
ggt3guy
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just tried to PM you, but it won't let me because you are too new. Can you PM me? If not, post a few more so you can PM me and I'll send you all the details of the event via email.

I just missed you last weekend. I was at thill this past Friday. I think you probably ran into the new owner of my boxster spyder, though.
Yes - I talked to your friend in the white boxster spyder. He's fast. We had less than 20 cars running in our group so it was great, especially since I'm still learning the car. I can't seem to PM either. Not sure how many posts are required.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:01 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I made the mistake of running 1x with NCRC. What a bunch of nut-jobs. Absolutely no vetting or management of the run groups.
Here in SoCal, I stick with PCA, Private, HOD, POC, BMW CCA events. Heard decent things about speed district, speed ventures is hit or miss, and not good things about extreme speed.
I can't speak for the particular weekend and group of cars, but I have run with NCRC probably 20+ times over the past 2 years, and the Open group is usually very cleanly driven. Point-by and Solo, however, are a bit hit or miss. Still, the guys that run are very nice, and if you are having a problem with another car, they will definitely take care of it. That said, HOD probably puts on the best events for me.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:06 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Yes - I talked to your friend in the white boxster spyder. He's fast. We had less than 20 cars running in our group so it was great, especially since I'm still learning the car. I can't seem to PM either. Not sure how many posts are required.
I heard you guys were running Thill backwards/CW? I think you need like 5 posts. PM me your email once you can, and we'll get you squared away.

I can't speak for the particular weekend and group of cars, but I have run with NCRC probably 20+ times over the past 2 years, and the Open group is usually very cleanly driven. Point-by and Solo, however, are a bit hit or miss. Still, the guys that run are very nice, and if you are having a problem with another car, they will definitely take care of it. That said, HOD probably puts on the best events for me.
Did you get the notice that HOD is requiring $50 a year membership fee now? Many of us have been ok with the premium they charge, but this is starting to push the envelope a bit.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:08 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,269 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
It's not riff raff that crashes.
Yeah, from what I've seen, it's more likely to be drivers who are overeager and underskilled. Such drivers can be found at all experience levels. Of course, mechanicals are another factor, so good car prep is essential.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:14 PM
ggt3guy
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We ran THill the usual way on Saturday then switched over to backwards midday Sunday. I had never done backwards. It's actually quite fun. I found turn 9 to be a bit of challenge as you want to slow before it levels but (don't want to be on the brakes going over the hump so to speak). I know I was loosing time there. The racers were getting air on the bypass going backwards. Didn't try to find out the speed where lift off occurred...
Old 04-22-2015, 08:15 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you get the notice that HOD is requiring $50 a year membership fee now? Many of us have been ok with the premium they charge, but this is starting to push the envelope a bit.
Yes, and agree. I don't think I'd mind if it was something to benefit the drivers here, but he clearly stated the money was to expand to other regions. Why do I care if he expands? Fund that yourself. Also, their lunches have started getting a lot worse.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:17 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Manifold
Yeah, from what I've seen, it's more likely to be drivers who are overeager and underskilled. Such drivers can be found at all experience levels. Of course, mechanicals are another factor, so good car prep is essential.
My definition of riff raff: overeager and underskilled. LOL

Mechanicals was a big issue for me during my last track day. Hoods flying off, exhausts dragging on the ground, and cars dropping oil and catching fire. The 'tech sign off sheet' is a total joke and everyone knows it. You just check boxes and sign.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:20 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Yes, and agree. I don't think I'd mind if it was something to benefit the drivers here, but he clearly stated the money was to expand to other regions. Why do I care if he expands? Fund that yourself. Also, their lunches have started getting a lot worse.
Funny. Everyone I've talked to has had the same response as you.
Some feel down right taken advantage of
Old 04-22-2015, 08:29 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,269 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Mechanicals was a big issue for me during my last track day. Hoods flying off, exhausts dragging on the ground, and cars dropping oil and catching fire. The 'tech sign off sheet' is a total joke and everyone knows it. You just check boxes and sign.
About half of my scariest moments on track have been due to other people's mechanicals: dumped fluids, blown tire, loss of brakes, dropped parts, etc. I know of one incident where a car dropping a part triggered a chain of events in which the instructor in the car behind wound up losing a leg, came close to death more than once (multiple surgeries), and is still in overall bad shape today, years after the incident, with huge impact to the lives of his wife and young kids as well.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:34 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

My two cents on track day groups, based on rather limited and very critical view:

SpeedSF is currently my favorite - eager, but very skilled in open group, and 5-6 sessions a day for a good price.
PCA is good - in the "secret handshake" red group (almost) everyone is very courteous, so I never felt in danger and almost never felt delayed. Almost because of just one guy last time :-). It's pretty good.
HOD - safe and well-run but prices are close to private days AND they do mostly weekdays (which should be cheaper!)
Trackmasters - tolerable in the top group.
Lotus club - very slow, many cars, but not too bad. I may do it again.
Private days - depends on who organizes them. Mooty collects great crowd, and I enjoy socializing as much as driving, but sometimes those parading Lambos ruining fast laps can get annoying.
BMW club - slow, strict passing rules, better for those who need instruction, but club racers have some awesome lines to copy. I may do it again, but will not instruct.
Speed dynamics - not bad for the money, but focused on noobies and slower cars. Passing can be eventful.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal