Sponsored by:

GTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 10:37 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Just curious why the **** you're worried about what I do for a living? Don't you have any more used cars to ask nearly full MSRP for when they're still available at the same price to order new?
A bit uncalled for, this is a friendly discussion. I am sure AC is willing to share his career.

Ryan
Old 10-10-2014, 10:38 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Per this video -- 80% of the parts between the 997 GT3 RS and GT3 Cup are common.

911 GT3 Cup v 911 GT3 RS: From Road to Racing - YouTube

The GT3 Cup is based off the GT3 RS or vice versa. The 991 GT3 is simply "inspired by"....

The 991 GT3 is different because the entire powertrain isn't related to the cup but IS related to the Carrera; derivatives of the same motor, transmission, steering system, etc
Now watch this video where they try to explain what's related between the 991 GT3 and the Cup....

http://www.total911.com/video-porsch...t3-vs-gt3-cup/
It does seem like the above post has created some panic in the room. Except its last part which I've edited,you've either cleverly selected the right videos or there's not much to be said in terms of similarities between the 991GT3 and the Cup. Only that AP is sitting next to the Motorsport guys. I hope he was sitting down when they've told him they're going to use the Mezger in the Cup because they have too many lying around and might as well use them.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:39 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
A bit uncalled for, this is a friendly discussion. I am sure AC is willing to share his career.

Ryan
No. That wasn't a friendly question per his history of commenting on my posts. ...and I don't care what he does for his career. If he's racing GT3 Cup cars right now it might be relevant.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:41 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Just curious why the **** you're worried about what I do for a living? Don't you have any more used cars to ask nearly full MSRP for when they're still available at the same price to order new?
Personal insults again!

Moderators, I think it may time:

Old 10-10-2014, 10:42 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,381 Likes on 2,492 Posts

Per this video -- 80% of the parts between the 997 GT3 RS and GT3 Cup are common.

The GT3 Cup is based off the GT3 RS or vice versa. The 991 GT3 is simply "inspired by"....

The 991 GT3 is different because the entire powertrain isn't related to the cup but IS related to the Carrera; derivatives of the same motor, transmission, steering system, etc
Now watch this video where they try to explain what's related between the 991 GT3 and the Cup....
Cool videos.

For the 997, they mention the 80% shared parts, but which parts? Transmission and suspension are certainly quite different. Engine seems to be close, but the road car engine doesn't need a rebuild in ~100 hours like the cup (and doesn't require 100 octane). I'd like to know more specifics about the similarities and differences.

For the 991, the video implies similarities between the road car and cup, but doesn't provide specifics. Of course, that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of similarities. And my source tells me that the GT3 engine will very likely find it's way into the race cars.

What do we know about the 996 in this regard? I've driven 996 cups and GT3s, and the cups certainly felt like different animals.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:42 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
Personal insults again!

Moderators, I think it may time:

If the truth is insulting so be it...
Old 10-10-2014, 10:47 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This whole discussion confuses me. Aren't ALL 911's fantastic in their own way? People are so different. Some prefer the raw track performance of a GT3. Others a regular Carrera for it's better DD characteristics. Convertible/targa for the open air knowing they give up a ton of torsional rigidity. I personally love my 911/50 for its DD ability and partial rarity. I know a GT3 is faster but that wasn't MY priority. BUT I understand why someone would kill for a GT3. Heck, if I was 37 and not 57 maybe I would have gone for a GT3. I just don't understand one 911 variant owner putting down another. It's actually mind boggling. They are all incredible cars with a slightly different focus. We choose based on our needs....I don't track so why not have a sunroof and a Burmester? Others just want to hear the exhaust. Enjoy what you have. Why put down and belittle others? If you have a 911 it is elite....no matter what variant.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:57 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
This whole discussion confuses me. Aren't ALL 911's fantastic in their own way? People are so different. Some prefer the raw track performance of a GT3. Others a regular Carrera for it's better DD characteristics. Convertible/targa for the open air knowing they give up a ton of torsional rigidity. I personally love my 911/50 for its DD ability and partial rarity. I know a GT3 is faster but that wasn't MY priority. BUT I understand why someone would kill for a GT3. Heck, if I was 37 and not 57 maybe I would have gone for a GT3. I just don't understand one 911 variant owner putting down another. It's actually mind boggling. They are all incredible cars with a slightly different focus. We choose based on our needs....I don't track so why not have a sunroof and a Burmester? Others just want to hear the exhaust. Enjoy what you have. Why put down and belittle others? If you have a 911 it is elite....no matter what variant.
Well said !
Old 10-10-2014, 11:11 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

911 GT3 Cup v 911 GT3 RS: From Road to Racing - YouTube

Umm, you do realize that's just a marketing video, right??? Yeah, sure, "over 80% same" because the tub and some of the body panels are same. And headlights - that's key, BTW. If that's how they want to define it, 991 GT3 also has over 80% in common with 991 GT3 Cup.

I ask you again: have you ever even been inside of a Cup car??

I repeat: (besides the marketing "over 80% same") pretty much everything between GT3 and GT3 cup are different and that's any GT3 (996, 997, 991). Again, different transmission, different suspension, different wing, different steering, different doors, different bumper covers, different splitter, different seat, different steering wheel, different dash, different glass, different interior, different fuel cell, different wheels, different tires, etc, etc, etc. In other words, anything and everything of importance is different between street GT3s and real race cars. Perhaps you'd know some of this if you hung out with people who drive Cup cars, helped work on Cup cars, speak to shop owners who work on Cup cars, or know Porsche techs who work on Cup cars. Seriously, you really have no idea what you're talking about.

Then you say things like this (post #100): https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8376...nounced-3.html

"I want a GT3 and am willing to pay GT3 money but I'm pretty sure Porsche stopped making it in 2011. If I'm stuck without a new GT3 I might as well buy the car with some utility."

Why? Because things you've read online say that 997 GT3 is "based on race cars" or is a "street-legal race car"? Whereas you read online that 991 GT3 isn't because they stopped using the Mezger engine, is PDK only, and has RWS? Because you wanna be associated with the "hardcore" image?

Let me ask you this: how many HPDE track days have you done? And I don't mean a couple of days in the green group or as part of Porsche Roadshow or some other marketing gimmick. I mean real track days with real HPDE groups (not fluff stuff). I hazard a guess that it's not many - otherwise you wouldn't continue to spew off clueless things like you've been harping on.

So you're a street redlight hero who thinks you're "all that" and know how to drive because you have a "Porsh". Now you want a 997 GT3 RS because you read on the internet that it's a street-legal race car. So you're a poser. Based on your repeated ignorant, uninformed, and immature posts over the past several days, I think you'd fit right in at STi or some of the M3 forums. I'd say stick to those forums (where you fit in) except that apparently you have more money than brains.

Enjoy your Boxster and your Gixxer. I had the same when I was 19 so I know what a special combo that is.
Wow. What did I just say about you fitting right in at STi forums with all the other 16 year olds? I heard they compare ***** sizes there. When you continue to say stupid **** like that and the following, expect to be called out on it (post #208): https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8376...nounced-6.html

""It was my wife car...she wanted it...so what can I say." (someone saying he bought his wife a Cayenne)

You can say 'no' and buy her something that isn't a piece of ****. Whenever I hear a guy being ruled by his wife I question everything else he's telling me. Furthermore, in my experience, the less you let women lead you the higher quality women you end up with. YMMV.

If you want a useful link to some factual reading instead of emotionally charged poser-babble here you go; heartiste.wordpress.com"

I rest my case.

Last edited by the_vetman; 10-10-2014 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:15 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

Well said, I think you nailed it perfectly!
Old 10-10-2014, 11:28 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Just curious what you do for a living. Sorry if it's in here already but I can barely keep up with all this repetitive back and forth so I only read here and there.
He's 30 and apparently has more money than brains. Yeah, that type..
Old 10-10-2014, 11:36 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Manifold
For the 997, they mention the 80% shared parts, but which parts? Transmission and suspension are certainly quite different. Engine seems to be close, but the road car engine doesn't need a rebuild in ~100 hours like the cup (and doesn't require 100 octane). I'd like to know more specifics about the similarities and differences.
Marketing. Basically everything is different other than chassis/tub, some body panels, headlights, fog lights, tail lights, etc.

About the engine. What's same/similar: crank, cylinders, pistons, rods, etc. Starting with heads and everything else (e.g. oil cooler), different in Cup and above cars. So the core part of engine is similar between street and race GT3s. 99% (slight exaggeration ) of everything else is different between the two.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:42 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

post removed. I like orthojoe's approach better.

Last edited by mcsmcs1; 10-11-2014 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:50 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I've never done this before, because I generally enjoy some drama, but this is the first time I'd like to put a particular user on ignore. How do we do that again? I'd suggest ALL of us do that in order to put this to an end.

Fellas, please stop wasting your time with this guy. You're only feeding the troll, so to speak. The moderators obviously have no intention of curtailing his rude behavior. The irony is, they will reprimand and assess me points for calling him a total jackass, but allow his behavior to continue. Go figure...
Old 10-10-2014, 11:55 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I've never done this before, because I generally enjoy some drama, but this is the first time I'd like to put a particular user on ignore. How do we do that again? ...
User CP, edit ignore list, add member

Quick Reply: GTS