Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 01:29 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Do I have to come out of forum retirement to deal with this situation? 20 pages of feeding the gleeful troll? Gees...
Old 10-10-2014, 01:31 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Well, I see where you have gotten your perspective from as well as your arguments. There was a mix of opinions on that thread too. It seems like the "driving experience" is what Steve Rance focuses upon. And, he discounts the 991 GT3 as having the same feeling as predecessors.

You've established that there are other experienced drivers who share your opinion. Good job.

Dan (still disagrees but gives credit where due)
Old 10-10-2014, 01:32 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Do I have to come out of forum retirement to deal with this situation? 20 pages of feeding the gleeful troll? Gees...
You need to negotiate with landlord to tear down and fix the garage driveway and, post more after ordering a new GT3.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:44 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hfm
Well, I see where you have gotten your perspective from as well as your arguments. There was a mix of opinions on that thread too. It seems like the "driving experience" is what Steve Rance focuses upon. And, he discounts the 991 GT3 as having the same feeling as predecessors.

You've established that there are other experienced drivers who share your opinion. Good job.

Dan (still disagrees but gives credit where due)
I'm going to correct this, it's not that he shares your opinion or the opinion of the OP in that thread. He is not saying the 991 GT3 is not a GT3. He's saying it's not even a 911, that it is something entirely different, something new. And, that he doesn't care for the feeling.

Dan (corrects and qualifies)
Old 10-10-2014, 05:31 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

destaccado, you don't know what you're talking about. All this BS from someone who's never even owned a GT3 (any variant) before......

Street GT3s never had much of anything in common with Cup cars. The ONLY thing in common was a part of the engine. Yes, not the whole engine - only a part of it.

Let me summarize it for you:

996 GT3: had nothing in common with 996 GT3 Cup (except for part of the engine).

997 GT3: had nothing in common with 997 GT3 Cup!

Different transmission, different suspension, different interior, different wing, different glass (lexan), different brakes, different windshield wipers even!, different steering, different seats (duh), different body panels, different fuel tank/cell, everything different. 996/997 GT3 owners can brag about their "race car for the street" all they want at Cars & Coffee, but the fact of the matter is that street GT3s never had much of anything in common with actual race cars.

Dude..... have you ever even been inside of a Cup car???

Now, 991 GT3 is not for everyone (no MT for example) but your "facts" don't hold water. "Motorsport pedigree" my ***... part of the engine was same while 99% of the car had nothing in common with Cup, R, or RSR. 996/997 GT3s were just that - excellent STREET cars with very, very little in common with race cars. So how is 991 GT3 any different?

Last edited by the_vetman; 10-10-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:42 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't cup cars need their motors taken apart and rebuilt every 30hrs or so ? that's something different for Mr Troll to chew on. If that is what it takes to be a GT3...leave the moniker off for the street version...lol
Old 10-10-2014, 08:48 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Again, it comes down to how you define 'GT3'. According to some definitions, the 991 GT3 is certainly a 'GT3', according to other definitions it's certainly not, and accordingly to other definitions it's borderline. No big deal. Judge the car for what it is, relative to the purposes it can be used for. It's what Porsche is currently offering under the GT3 name; buy it if you want one, otherwise move on (we already knew it had to be quite different from the 997 GT3, which was quite different from the 996 GT3; next generation will be different too, cars change). And destaccado agrees that the 991 GT3 is a great car, regardless of whether it's a 'GT3', so why all this sound and fury?
Old 10-10-2014, 12:16 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Again, it comes down to how you define 'GT3'. According to some definitions, the 991 GT3 is certainly a 'GT3', according to other definitions it's certainly not, and accordingly to other definitions it's borderline. No big deal. Judge the car for what it is, relative to the purposes it can be used for. It's what Porsche is currently offering under the GT3 name; buy it if you want one, otherwise move on (we already knew it had to be quite different from the 997 GT3, which was quite different from the 996 GT3; next generation will be different too, cars change). And destaccado agrees that the 991 GT3 is a great car, regardless of whether it's a 'GT3', so why all this sound and fury?
Because Internet!
Old 10-10-2014, 12:17 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Because Internet!
LOL, what was I thinking?
Old 10-10-2014, 04:58 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Street GT3s never had much of anything in common with Cup cars. The ONLY thing in common was a part of the engine. Yes, not the whole engine - only a part of it.

996 GT3: had nothing in common with 996 GT3 Cup (except for part of the engine).

Different transmission, different suspension, different interior, different wing, different glass (lexan), different brakes, different windshield wipers even!, different steering, different seats (duh), different body panels, different fuel tank/cell, everything different. 996/997 GT3 owners can brag about their "race car for the street" all they want at Cars & Coffee, but the fact of the matter is that street GT3s never had much of anything in common with actual race cars.

Now, 991 GT3 is not for everyone (no MT for example) but your "facts" don't hold water. "Motorsport pedigree" my ***... part of the engine was same while 99% of the car had nothing in common with Cup, R, or RSR. 996/997 GT3s were just that - excellent STREET cars with very, very little in common with race cars. So how is 991 GT3 any different?
Pretty much falls in line with what I said. Although it was pretty rad to see Porsche take the .2 RS on a Le Mans race
Old 10-10-2014, 09:46 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
destaccado, you don't know what you're talking about. All this BS from someone who's never even owned a GT3 (any variant) before......

Per this video -- 80% of the parts between the 997 GT3 RS and GT3 Cup are common.

The GT3 Cup is based off the GT3 RS or vice versa. The 991 GT3 is simply "inspired by"....

The 991 GT3 is different because the entire powertrain isn't related to the cup but IS related to the Carrera; derivatives of the same motor, transmission, steering system, etc
Now watch this video where they try to explain what's related between the 991 GT3 and the Cup....

http://www.total911.com/video-porsch...t3-vs-gt3-cup/

Enjoy your Boxster and your Gixxer. I had the same when I was 19 so I know what a special combo that is.

Last edited by destaccado; 10-10-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:51 PM
espanolie
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like the 50th model - prefer it over the GTS
Old 10-10-2014, 10:00 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Enjoy your Boxster.
You're one of THOSE guys too? For Pete's sake.....
Old 10-10-2014, 10:19 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
You're one of THOSE guys too? For Pete's sake.....
When someone is commenting on my 911's - yes. Otherwise? No.

"destaccado, you don't know what you're talking about. All this BS from someone who's never even owned a GT3 (any variant) before......"

....I'm gonna go out no a limb and say that the individual who posted this and then went on his spiel doesn't own one either and perhaps would be best following their own advice to avoid the appearance of hypocrisy.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:35 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Just curious what you do for a living. Sorry if it's in here already but I can barely keep up with all this repetitive back and forth so I only read here and there.
Just curious why the **** you're worried about what I do for a living? Don't you have any more used cars to ask nearly full MSRP for when they're still available at the same price to order new?

Quick Reply: GTS