Sponsored by:

GTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 10:13 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
0:48s, Andreas Preuninger states, "it's a lot more similar to the cup car's gearbox than to the 991 carrera's PDK gearbox"

Porsche in Geneva 2013: technical features of the new 911 GT3 - YouTube

1:34s, Andreas Preuninger states, "specific and with very much effort a modified PDK box, modified for the GT3 with lighter gearing, 7 gears for driving, so there's no overdrive so we reach top speed in 7th gear and some other hardware changes and software changes are quite substantial"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECATvlRf3ls

I can't find it at the moment, however IIRC the e-differential is also unique in that it allows the engine to be even farther forward "over" the rear axle pushing CG forward.

Here Elephant Racing states, "First thing we need to mention is that the GT3 suspension varies significantly from other 991 generation cars. This car has modified bushings, bearings and significantly redesigned control arms and wheel carriers. Some of the technology is borrowed from the current and previous generation of the GT3 Cup car, but First thing we need to mention is that the GT3 suspension varies significantly from other 991 generation cars. This car has modified bushings, bearings and significantly redesigned control arms and wheel carriers. Some of the technology is borrowed from the current and previous generation of the GT3 Cup car, but many more items were designed along with the current production line of the GT3 Cup many more items were designed along with the current production line of the GT3 Cup." and "Front control arm (or lower wishbone as it's sometimes called) has been redesigned for the GT3, but the functionality stayed the same. We've seen the same design in the previous generation (997) GT3 Cup cars (track-only version of the GT3)." and "The GT3s now share the rear suspension components with the 991 Cup cars."

http://www.elephantracing.com/tool-b...n-overview.htm

We know the chassis is identical between the 991 GT3 and the 991 GT America Cup Car. Many of the body panels are identical, I happen to have a Cup rear bumper and it is identical to the street car part.

Braking systems - both 991 GT3 and 991 Cup use 380 front and rear brakes. The Carrera S uses 340 mm / 330 mm. This is because "Other than missing the lower tie rod bracket, the GT3 (front) upright seems identical to the Cup car. "

http://www.elephantracing.com/tool-b...Comparison.htm

991 GT3, just like the 997.2, uses centerlock hubs and wheels. 991 GT3 version is reportedly improved and track time out is longer than 997.2 version. Regardless of how we all feel about centerlocks, they do resemble the centerlock technology used on the Cup.

You may not like the rear wing, however "GT3 rear wing, it generates 120kg of downforce at the car’s top speed of 315kph, which is 20 per cent more downforce over the 997 GT3." Just so we're clear, fiberglass is a composite material that uses a woven fabric just like Carbon Fiber. Carbon fiber is stiffer and stronger, it is not necessarily lighter - the specific application must be taken into account in the design of the part. Oh and visible carbon isn't "race car" it's "cars and coffee".

The GT3 motor "weighing 227.5kg, or 20.9kg less than the Mezger's legendary unit" makes more power 475 hp from 3.8L than the Mezger 4.0L at 470 hp. While the longer term reliability hasn't been answered, the engine is bespoke to the 991 GT3 sharing only the base casting, the head bolts and the alternator with the base carrera. Note that no components from the 991 GT3 engine are incorporated in any of the other 991 offerings. The engine development was solely for GT car use. IMHO a variant of this powerplant will be present in the 991 GT3RS. I also believe that the DFI motor or a modification thereof will find it's way to racing event at the Super Cup level as motorsports "green" initiatives eliminate the Mezger as a viable alternative. Also remember that cost of producing the Mezger engine goes both ways. When Mezger components were being used in the production line for the Turbo and GT3, motorsport benefited from reduced per unit costs. Motorsport teams using the 991 GT America are now carrying the cost burden for the vast majority of Mezger parts, with the repair parts for previous generation Mezger based cars carrying the remainder.

http://gulfnews.com/life-style/motor...ewed-1.1221981

IMHO there is sufficient similarity between the 997 Cup / 991 Cup and the 991 GT3 to say that it is bringing race car technology to the street which is what the GT3 has always been.

Ryan
So you've wrote a book that added brakes and the rear bumper to what I already mentioned - the suspension. I believe the centerlocks on the GT3 are actually the same centerlock setup from the GTS (other than the actual wheel itself) -- not the Cup.

"IMHO there is sufficient similarity between the 997 Cup / 991 Cup and the 991 GT3 to say that it is bringing race car technology to the street which is what the GT3 has always been."

Wrong. The GT3 was the homologation car. The new car is not.

http://www.porsche.com/uk/aboutporsc...&id=2009-08-19
Old 10-08-2014, 10:25 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
So you've wrote a book that added brakes and the rear bumper to what I already mentioned - the suspension. I believe the centerlocks on the GT3 are actually the same centerlock setup from the GTS (other than the actual wheel itself) -- not the Cup. "IMHO there is sufficient similarity between the 997 Cup / 991 Cup and the 991 GT3 to say that it is bringing race car technology to the street which is what the GT3 has always been." Wrong. The GT3 was the homologation car. The new car is not. http://www.porsche.com/uk/aboutporsc...&id=2009-08-19
Jenny McCarthy can cure autism. And she has nice breasts so she must know what she is talking about.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:32 PM
milban
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've read every review I can, read every track junkie's experience, they all seem to agree that, "This GT3 puts more GT3 capability in our hands than any before".

Milban (out on a limb and soon to get burned)
Old 10-08-2014, 10:44 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by milban
I've read every review I can, read every track junkie's experience, they all seem to agree that, "This GT3 puts more GT3 capability in our hands than any before".

Milban (out on a limb and soon to get burned)
No they just all agree it's a great car and maybe the best of the cars labeled GT3.

The 991 GT3 has a lot of great parts in it. It's clearly one of the best street 911 ever made if you disregard the transmission debate. ....but it's not a homologation for the race car, it doesn't share many parts with it (guys have come up with suspension, chassis, rear bumper, and brakes), and therefore based on the sum of its parts it's not really a GT3 except in name.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:47 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, some people. Just remarkable. I feel like I'm in a Monty Python skit!
Old 10-08-2014, 10:51 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

No they just all agree it's a great car and maybe the best of the cars labeled GT3. The 991 GT3 has a lot of great parts in it. It's clearly one of the best street 911 ever made if you disregard the transmission debate. ....but it's not a homologation for the race car, it doesn't share many parts with it (guys have come up with suspension, chassis, rear bumper, and brakes), and therefore based on the sum of its parts it's not really a GT3 except in name.
So with your vast knowledge, why don't you enlighten us with the similarities between past cup cars and past GT3's. Since they were so close in price, they must have been identical, correct?
Old 10-08-2014, 10:57 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,377 Likes on 2,490 Posts

No they just all agree it's a great car and maybe the best of the cars labeled GT3.

The 991 GT3 has a lot of great parts in it. It's clearly one of the best street 911 ever made if you disregard the transmission debate. ....but it's not a homologation for the race car, it doesn't share many parts with it (guys have come up with suspension, chassis, rear bumper, and brakes), and therefore based on the sum of its parts it's not really a GT3 except in name.
I suppose one could find a definition of "GT3" such that the 991 doesn't meet the definition. But then we can also debate what definitions of "GT3" are sensible. According to the criteria that matter to me, it's indeed a GT3, albeit a rather modern one, with some features that have taken me a year to more or less come to terms with.

And objectively, the car is certainly producing lap times worthy of a race car, which isn't being achieved simply because of lots of torque/hp or just dumb luck. Regarding whether the car is built to produce to those lap times repeatedly, without excessive failure rate of any components, we also know that warranty on the car covers track use. Whether those components are exactly the same in the GT3 and cup car doesn't matter to me, point is that their design intent was track use. And as far as whether Porsche really backs the product when their $$ are on the line, we also know that Porsche did the right thing by replacing the engines, and had the sense to not overly rush that process either.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:58 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doubleurx
So with your vast knowledge, why don't you enlighten us with the similarities between past cup cars and past GT3's. Since they were so close in price, they must have been identical, correct?
Well for starters the motor of the car is similar and they were able to be used for homologation under the rules of the governing bodies. They're true street versions of the race car. The new car has extremely little in common and is a GT3 "in spirit."
Old 10-08-2014, 11:01 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

My knowledge really isn't that vast nor have I ever stated the previous cars were identical or even close to it.

Had Porsche raced the 9a1 motor in the Cup the new car might indeed be deserving of the label. This was the argument at the beginning. Now that we have more info and know that isn't the case it's clear it was simply an exercise in marketing.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:01 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Well for starters the motor of the car is similar and they were able to be used for homologation under the rules of the governing bodies. They're true street versions of the race car. The new car has extremely little in common and is a GT3 "in spirit."
They used the same short block....Ok there's a 1/3 of a part.....continue.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:04 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,377 Likes on 2,490 Posts

Had Porsche raced the 9a1 motor in the Cup the new car might indeed be deserving of the label. This was the argument at the beginning. Now that we have more info and know that isn't the case it's clear it was simply an exercise in marketing.
Just because it hasn't been raced yet doesn't mean it won't be raced in the future.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:09 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

My knowledge really isn't that vast nor have I ever stated the previous cars were identical or even close to it. Had Porsche raced the 9a1 motor in the Cup the new car might indeed be deserving of the label. This was the argument at the beginning. Now that we have more info and know that isn't the case it's clear it was simply an exercise in marketing.
So, the old GT3's really didn't share any more parts with the cup car than the new one? Yet it can't be considered a GT3 even though it outperforms the older model n just about every test/track time. Got it. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:15 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

So, the old GT3's really didn't share any more parts with the cup car than the new one? Yet it can't be considered a GT3 even though it outperforms the older model n just about every test/track time. Got it. Thanks for the clarification.
Track times have nothing to do with what model a car is. Using track times we could say a Nissan GTR was a superior GT3. You're welcome for the clarification
Old 10-08-2014, 11:17 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Track times have nothing to do with what model a car is. Using track times we could say a Nissan GTR was a superior GT3. You're welcome for the clarification
Ok take the track times out of it. What about your flawed logic?
Old 10-08-2014, 11:19 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

They used the same short block....Ok there's a 1/3 of a part.....continue.
If you want to see the similarities and differences between the two engines here's a great link. The Cup Mezger is a derivative of the GT3's Mezger as the 991 GT3's 9a1 is a derivative of the Boxster's 9a1. You'll notice not a single part in the CUP has anything in common with the non-homologated 9a1.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...p+engine&mid=0

Quick Reply: GTS