Originally Posted by orthojoe
Thanks, I suggest we all do the same
So I won't have to listen to you anymore? Win-Win
Old 10-11-2014, 12:27 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
This whole discussion confuses me. Aren't ALL 911's fantastic in their own way? People are so different. Some prefer the raw track performance of a GT3. Others a regular Carrera for it's better DD characteristics. Convertible/targa for the open air knowing they give up a ton of torsional rigidity. I personally love my 911/50 for its DD ability and partial rarity. I know a GT3 is faster but that wasn't MY priority. BUT I understand why someone would kill for a GT3. Heck, if I was 37 and not 57 maybe I would have gone for a GT3. I just don't understand one 911 variant owner putting down another. It's actually mind boggling. They are all incredible cars with a slightly different focus. We choose based on our needs....I don't track so why not have a sunroof and a Burmester? Others just want to hear the exhaust. Enjoy what you have. Why put down and belittle others? If you have a 911 it is elite....no matter what variant.
This thread isn't about whether or not all 911's are fantastic or belittling the purchase decisions of any 911 owner. In fact the only back and forth I've seen is with Boxster owners. I've said repeatedly I thought the 991 GT3 was a great car; but not deserving of the GT3 badge but perhaps "deserving" isn't even the correct term as I believe it's deserving of a badge equal in stature to the GT3. I've heard a lot of talk of "spirit" and other emotionally-driven answers but at the end of the day even Porsche's own guys can't answer the question as demonstrated by the video I posted earlier.

Last edited by destaccado; 10-11-2014 at 02:36 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:34 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 337 Likes on 172 Posts

GTS, 50th, GT3, etc.

Variety is the mother of enjoyment.

As far as the GT3 goes and its lineage, I'm reminded of the following: You're entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:36 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Umm, you do realize that's just a marketing video, right??? Yeah, sure, "over 80% same" because the tub and some of the body panels are same. And headlights - that's key, BTW. If that's how they want to define it, 991 GT3 also has over 80% in common with 991 GT3 Cup.
You realize the same marketing video couldn't define one thing in relation between the 991 GT3 and 991 Cup besides Andreas Preuninger being around while it was designed.

I ask you again: have you ever even been inside of a Cup car??
Yes. A 991 Cup? No. However, I've also posted links to the opinions of people who race Cup cars who share the same feelings I do. Forgive me for assigning more weight to their posts than to yours.

I repeat: (besides the marketing "over 80% same") pretty much everything between GT3 and GT3 cup are different and that's any GT3 (996, 997, 991). Again, different transmission, different suspension, different wing, different steering, different doors, different bumper covers, different splitter, different seat, different steering wheel, different dash, different glass, different interior, different fuel cell, different wheels, different tires, etc, etc, etc. In other words, anything and everything of importance is different between street GT3s and real race cars. Perhaps you'd know some of this if you hung out with people who drive Cup cars, helped work on Cup cars, speak to shop owners who work on Cup cars, or know Porsche techs who work on Cup cars. Seriously, you really have no idea what you're talking about.
Obviously the street version of a race car is going to have vastly different components. However, the two cars clearly share a direct lineage utilizing some derivative designs - yes including the motor. If Porsche decides to use the 9A1 in their race car at some point -- that same lineage will be restored to the 991.

Then you say things like this (post #100): https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8376...nounced-3.html

"I want a GT3 and am willing to pay GT3 money but I'm pretty sure Porsche stopped making it in 2011. If I'm stuck without a new GT3 I might as well buy the car with some utility."
Why? Because things you've read online say that 997 GT3 is "based on race cars" or is a "street-legal race car"? Whereas you read online that 991 GT3 isn't because they stopped using the Mezger engine, is PDK only, and has RWS? Because you wanna be associated with the "hardcore" image?
A car is based on the sum of its parts.

Let me ask you this: how many HPDE track days have you done? And I don't mean a couple of days in the green group or as part of Porsche Roadshow or some other marketing gimmick. I mean real track days with real HPDE groups (not fluff stuff). I hazard a guess that it's not many - otherwise you wouldn't continue to spew off clueless things like you've been harping on.
I've driven the Nurburgring a number of times. There aren't any racetracks in the environment I live and work so unfortunately I don't get to do it nearly as often as I would like.

So you're a street redlight hero who thinks you're "all that" and know how to drive because you have a "Porsh". Now you want a 997 GT3 RS because you read on the internet that it's a street-legal race car. So you're a poser. Based on your repeated ignorant, uninformed, and immature posts over the past several days, I think you'd fit right in at STi or some of the M3 forums. I'd say stick to those forums (where you fit in) except that apparently you have more money than brains.
That's fine. I've earned my money. Your jealousy is rather amusing.

Wow. What did I just say about you fitting right in at STi forums with all the other 16 year olds? I heard they compare ***** sizes there. When you continue to say stupid **** like that and the following, expect to be called out on it (post #208): https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8376...nounced-6.html
I find it comical that someone would insult people who drive STIs as being 16 year olds while they still own a GSXR and actually list that on the Porsche forums... From what I've seen the average STI owner is older and more mature than the average GSXR owner and I've owned both in the past.

""It was my wife car...she wanted it...so what can I say." (someone saying he bought his wife a Cayenne)

You can say 'no' and buy her something that isn't a piece of ****. Whenever I hear a guy being ruled by his wife I question everything else he's telling me. Furthermore, in my experience, the less you let women lead you the higher quality women you end up with. YMMV.

If you want a useful link to some factual reading instead of emotionally charged poser-babble here you go; heartiste.wordpress.com"

I rest my case.
Great website. You might want to check it out.

Do you own a GT3? I'm sorta curious why a guy driving a Boxster and riding a GSXR is so worried about my opinion on the car's name.

Last edited by destaccado; 10-11-2014 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:44 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
I've said repeatedly I thought the 991 GT3 was a great car; but not deserving of the GT3 badge.
There you go again
So you are the judge of what car deserves a gt3 badge ? Someone who has never owned one, driven one, ect ?
I think Porsche is more qualified than anyone...and they have spoken....end of story.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:44 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WernerE
GTS, 50th, GT3, etc.

Variety is the mother of enjoyment.

As far as the GT3 goes and its lineage, I'm reminded of the following: You're entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Of course the current iteration of GT3 is "worthy." It's the best one yet.
So hey -- feel free to share those facts then and this thread can go ahead and die. So far the only parts that the entire "991 GT3 is a real GT3" side have been able to come up with in 20 some pages that the car shares in common with the Cup over the GTS is the rear bumper, the brakes, and a few suspension parts. The entire powertrain is derivative designs of what is in the GTS -- without a shred of it being related to the actual GT3. I simply pointed that out.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:47 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rockitman
There you go again
So you are the judge of what car deserves a gt3 badge ? Someone who has never owned one, driven one, ect ?
I think Porsche is more qualified than anyone...and they have spoken....end of story.
Yes. Believe it or not but I'm the judge of whatever I want to be the judge of; as are you. If you believe that the GT3 is deserving of its badge -- than don't worry about my opinion. Funny that you claim Porsche is more qualified than anyone though considering they're a profit-driven company and there's a huge marketing benefit and therefore benefit to their bottom-line via calling this car a GT3. Porsche probably would have called it the Formula 1 if they thought it would increase their profits.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:08 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Let's get one thing straight I'm not "worried about" what the **** you do for a living. Im curious. So since you're a man who like to use words and monikers and things appropriately, try reading.

And no I don't have any more cars to sell, car is gone. But you really got me with that one.

I think you're a joke, and someone or something broke you in life and now you sit there all alone pushing strangers buttons on the Internet all day.

I was actually curious what you did for a living cause I'm baffled that some guy who can afford Porsches has time to answer every singe petty little comment or quote or fact that's thrown at them. It actually seems as if you're paid to be in here jerking us all off. And I'm wondering if I can get you over here for a real handie instead of this cyber-tug you're giving this whole thread.

I feel bad for anyone who's spent their, I mean wasted their time even replying to you. Including myself.

No matter what BS you throw back next in not biting. I'm done in here. Best of luck
I've got big clumsy hands. So I'm honestly not sure I'd be able to help you out in person. Sorry.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:10 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by destaccado
Yes. Believe it or not but I'm the judge of whatever I want to be the judge of; as are you. If you believe that the GT3 is deserving of its badge -- than don't worry about my opinion. Funny that you claim Porsche is more qualified than anyone though considering they're a profit-driven company and there's a huge marketing benefit and therefore benefit to their bottom-line via calling this car a GT3. Porsche probably would have called it the Formula 1 if they thought it would increase their profits.
Are you sure your Momma didn't drop you when you were a baby ?
Continue on...I'm done. Lol
Old 10-11-2014, 01:13 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rockitman
Are you sure your Momma didn't drop you when you were a baby ?
Continue on...I'm done. Lol
As far as I know she didn't.

Why is that why you wear your helmet around the house? (from your signature gallery)

Old 10-11-2014, 01:52 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Then.

Now.

Deal with it because you can't change it.

Dan (points to reality)
Old 10-11-2014, 02:25 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hfm
Then.

Now.

Deal with it because you can't change it.

Dan (points to reality)
Andreas Preuninger: "completely new engine, complete new engine family, we have a custom tailored PDK gearbox now...race car like sensation when you drive it, it was very, very important to get the maximum emotion and driver involvement out of the PDK gearbox"

In fact -- the only thing he says that relates it to the Cup is that the same people worked on designing it (albeit using all derivative components from the Carrera models)

So basically per your own video that I just watched -- "feels" and "emotion" are what connects the 991 Cup to 991 GT3 -- not car parts.

Like I said 100x already. In my opinion; fantastic car - and I don't mean that with only token appreciation - but not a GT3.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:30 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ExMB
User CP, edit ignore list, add member
Great idea...the idiot just disappears...

Quick Reply: GTS