Old 10-09-2014, 12:34 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Here's just a small sample of posts directed towards me;

"Dan (is ready to start calling a twit what it is)"

"The troll is hungry...stop feeding him."

"And again. No its not. But by all means continue, it's giving us a good laugh."

"Ok take the track times out of it. What about your flawed logic?"

"destaccado, nothing wrong with fairly criticizing the car, but you have to make a coherent and compelling case. Instead, seems that you're drifting into self-contradictions."
<<< Couldn't point out 1

"Man, some people. Just remarkable. I feel like I'm in a Monty Python skit!"

"So with your vast knowledge, why don't you enlighten us"

"Fellas, it's impossible to change his mind on this. Don't even bother. It's like trying to change the minds of parents that refuse to vaccinate their kids. You can argue till your blue in the face and they won't listen."

..and then your own;
"They are antagonizing and border on trolling. If trolling were a profession, he'd be a master!"

You could learn a bit about respect yourself. So take your "respective community" and return to being unresponsive. Thanks in advance.
All I did was be technically correct about your posts in general. They are antagonizing and your tone is ill-suited for this section of the forum. By your rude response to my post, you've just proven me correct!
Old 10-09-2014, 12:36 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
What I found most interesting at the time I've read Elephant Racing's suspension comparison between the Cup car and the 991GT3 is how the Cup manages to fit 18 inch wheels,yet the 991GT3 has no chance...Mmmm... It can't be the suspension...ER says it's similar. They think it's the more compact PFC calipers. Could be...but it can't only be that. It has to be the suspension too. How do I know this? A member here posted his track setup and the mods he had to do to barely fit 19s on the GT3.
You must have missed this thread, also courtesy of Elephant Racing ....

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...explained.html

Summary:
Front - Cup uses more compact caliper from PFC.
Rear - Cup moves lower control arm (the entire arm inboard and outboard pivot points) up and trims the bottom of the upright.

Ryan
Old 10-09-2014, 12:41 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
You must have missed this thread .... https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...explained.html Summary: Front - Cup uses more compact caliper from PFC. Rear - Cup moves lower control arm (the entire arm inboard and outboard pivot points) up and trims the bottom of the upright. Ryan
Yes,very good read!

My point was,the suspension is similar,yet different. Can you start modding the 991GT3 suspension with Cup car parts like it's been done in the past?
Old 10-09-2014, 12:54 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry guys but couldn't read all the bantering going on here , so perhaps someone has pick-up on

one of the GTS seat option offering a "sport bucket seat" faberglasss carbon that folds

no pictures but very interesting as possible solution for those of us who couldn't get the Light weight

Buckets
Old 10-09-2014, 01:03 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
Sorry guys but couldn't read all the bantering going on here , so perhaps someone has pick-up on

one of the GTS seat option offering a "sport bucket seat" faberglasss carbon that folds

no pictures but very interesting as possible solution for those of us who couldn't get the Light weight

Buckets

not happening- just looked at the configurator. sorry
Old 10-09-2014, 01:20 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
not happening- just looked at the configurator. sorry
the GTS is not up yet on the configurator, however on PAG home page
its featuring the new GTS click on that and then accessories under
seat s it states basic, 18 way and 14 way option and sport buckets seats

just sharing some info here that is Posted on PAG home page for all
Old 10-09-2014, 01:26 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,378 Likes on 2,491 Posts

I went into the configurator to try to build a GTS close to a base GT3. Price comes to about $124K. http://www.porsche-code.com/PFY739I2

So for about $7K more, we get substantially better engine, transmission, suspension, aero, brakes, etc., along with RWS. I think the GT3 easily remains the best value in a 991, though the GTS will sure make a very nice road car which can handle some track use.

I can also still see why some might prefer the GTS over the GT3 for a road car at reasonable speeds. But for that use, I'd rather have a 997 with manual!
Old 10-09-2014, 01:42 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
the GTS is not up yet on the configurator, however on PAG home page
its featuring the new GTS click on that and then accessories under
seat s it states basic, 18 way and 14 way option and sport buckets seats

just sharing some info here that is Posted on PAG home page for all
I saw the configurator up and running on the US Porsche site, and there were no sport buckets listed. So I concluded, we aren't getting that option. You believe differently?
Old 10-09-2014, 01:57 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I went into the configurator to try to build a GTS close to a base GT3. Price comes to about $124K. http://www.porsche-code.com/PFY739I2

So for about $7K more, we get substantially better engine, transmission, suspension, aero, brakes, etc., along with RWS. I think the GT3 easily remains the best value in a 991, though the GTS will sure make a very nice road car which can handle some track use.

I can also still see why some might prefer the GTS over the GT3 for a road car at reasonable speeds. But for that use, I'd rather have a 997 with manual!
Actually, you underrepresented I think. You really need to add PDCC also to get the handling /suspension that you would have with the GT3. It comes out closer to $130k.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:03 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

I may be in the minority in thinking this. I don't care what Porsche calls the GT3. I just want one due to the looks, performance, technology, etc and the added value I perceive over any other 991 variants as well as what it offers over the competition. Whether it has a race pedigree motor or whatever, I couldn't care less. It won't affect how I enjoy it. I can understand people wanting a manual, but I'd take the PDK-S regardless.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:24 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,378 Likes on 2,491 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
I may be in the minority in thinking this. I don't care what Porsche calls the GT3. I just want one due to the looks, performance, technology, etc and the added value I perceive over any other 991 variants as well as what it offers over the competition. Whether it has a race pedigree motor or whatever, I couldn't care less. It won't affect how I enjoy it.
I actually have a similar view. Maybe the 991 GT3 is "too different" from X to be called a GT3. So what? I'm looking for a car that's (a) preferably a Porsche, (b) well developed for serious track use, (c) has warranty covering track use, (d) street legal and comfy enough on the street, (e) fast enough with DOT r-comps to hang with faster cars at the track (which typically have semi-slicks or slicks), (f) fun to drive at the track, and (g) not beyond ~$150K and ideally won't depreciate much. Not having driven it on track, I'm making a little leap of faith with (f), but otherwise the GT3 meets my criteria, and is the only Porsche currently available which does. If Cayman GT4 was around, it would likely be a real contender.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:25 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I may be in the minority in thinking this. I don't care what Porsche calls the GT3. I just want one due to the looks, performance, technology, etc and the added value I perceive over any other 991 variants as well as what it offers over the competition. Whether it has a race pedigree motor or whatever, I couldn't care less. It won't affect how I enjoy it. I can understand people wanting a manual, but I'd take the PDK-S regardless.

If the GTS has the GT3's PDK, then it's a great transmission -- easily the best on-track and in stop-n-slow commute, horrible San Francisco roads and traffic or enjoying some mountains and coastal driving. If it's just the Carrera box, no thanks. If it's just lowered like PASM Sport, again, PDCC and PASM Sport on the Carrera are less capable than the GT3 and yet also less comfortable than the GT3 ... and scrapes the chin spoiler just as much.

Anyway, doesn't the GTS signal the end of the 991.1 and herald at least a modest facelift to the 991.2 which might bring much-needed improvements to steering and handling?
Old 10-09-2014, 02:55 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I agree with you on this as well. I don't think you're the minority!
Old 10-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
If the GTS has the GT3's PDK, then it's a great transmission -- easily the best on-track and in stop-n-slow commute, horrible San Francisco roads and traffic or enjoying some mountains and coastal driving. If it's just the Carrera box, no thanks. If it's just lowered like PASM Sport, again, PDCC and PASM Sport on the Carrera are less capable than the GT3 and yet also less comfortable than the GT3 ... and scrapes the chin spoiler just as much.

Anyway, doesn't the GTS signal the end of the 991.1 and herald at least a modest facelift to the 991.2 which might bring much-needed improvements to steering and handling?
The GTS is available with standard PDK, not PDK-S.

I read a BBC article this morning on the GTS that said it's timing was designed to combat a new Mercedes AMG GT model, not necessarily signal the end of the model run, for whatever that's worth.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:28 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The GTS is available with standard PDK, not PDK-S.

I read a BBC article this morning on the GTS that said it's timing was designed to combat a new Mercedes AMG GT model, not necessarily signal the end of the model run, for whatever that's worth.
I heard that too, but felt I had to discount it due to the explanation being so reasonable and free of conspiratorial paranoia........

Quick Reply: GTS