Sponsored by:

GTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 02:34 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
The GT3 is not a race car. The GT3 Cup car is a race car. Just because it shares the "GT3" part of the name does not mean GT3 owners believe they own race cars. Do you get that or are you just a pillock?

Dan (is ready to start calling a twit what it is)
Of course I get that. Since when do homologation cars = race cars?

Is your name Dan? Did you really just refer to yourself in the third person?
Old 10-09-2014, 02:45 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

fascinating thread, indeed.
buy a GTS
buy a 991GT3
drive both
sell the one u dont like
i dont know the spec. i dont care about spec.
i trust my a**
if it gels with the seat, that's the car.
if not, it's gone
but i had more fun reading the thread than tracking my cars. and cheaper too.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:48 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Of course I get that. Since when do homologation cars = race cars?

Is your name Dan? Did you really just refer to yourself in the third person?
There we go! We have confirmation of an pillock.

Is your name really Destaccado?

"destacado, destacada adjective
English Translation of DESTACADO

: outstanding, prominent"

http://www.spanishcentral.com/translate/destacado

Dan (thinks peacock twit should fight windmills elsewhere )
Old 10-09-2014, 02:52 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hfm
There we go! We have confirmation of an pillock.

Is your name really Destaccado?

"destacado, destacada adjective
English Translation of DESTACADO

: outstanding, prominent"

http://www.spanishcentral.com/translate/destacado

Dan (thinks peacock twit should fight windmills elsewhere )
No. It's Brian. ...and I don't refer to myself in the third person because I don't have Alzheimer's yet.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:52 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

No one on the planet should compare the GTS with a GT3.

If I bought some HRE Flowform wheels and a can of Plastidip I could have a GTS also and no one would know the difference.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:55 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hfm
If you find that 997.2 GT3 RS please do us a favor, call it a GTS-RS.

Dan (hopelessly expects consistency from the irrational)
Consistency would be me calling the 991 GT3 RS a "GTS-RS" but as the car isn't even available yet so I'm not going to go there....

Dan (hopelessly needs to improve his reading comprehension and logical reasoning)
Old 10-09-2014, 02:55 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 310 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
fascinating thread, indeed.

i trust my a**
if it gels with the seat, that's the car.
+1 The buckets in the 2015 GT3 should help with that.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:59 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

No. It's Brian. ...and I don't refer to myself in the third person because I don't have Alzheimer's yet.
Tell you what Brian, when I sign my name at the bottom of the post, it's a signature, not me talking in the third person. And, by the way, you're supposed to go Brian (interesting PS) not, Dan (....) because you're not Dan, as you did above to make the conversation a bit more fun.

So, Brian, what is your beef really? What is your problem that you feel the need to vent your position knowing you will be rebuffed by everyone on a GT3 specific forum? Why can't you just get along with other Porsche fans?

Dan (asks plainly without insult curious to see what happens)
Old 10-09-2014, 03:12 AM
aeGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

destaccado

"Except that historical buyers of the GT3 aren't necessarily the same buyers of the 991 GT3 anymore. I would bet the vast majority of 991 GT3 buyers are closer to the 911 GTS buyers than 997.2 GT3 buyers."

Do you actually know demographic characteristics of 991 GT3 owners, or is it just your impression? I do not know what percentage of the potential buyers of 991 GT3 switching from 911 GTS. These are quite different cars (GT3/GTS) with different attributes. I thought the majority would be previous GT3 owners (not necessarily 997.2 GT3) but I may be wrong. I am one those historical buyers replacing my 2005 GT3 (which I had it for 8 yrs) with 991 GT3.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:34 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aeGT3
destaccado

"Except that historical buyers of the GT3 aren't necessarily the same buyers of the 991 GT3 anymore. I would bet the vast majority of 991 GT3 buyers are closer to the 911 GTS buyers than 997.2 GT3 buyers."

Do you actually know demographic characteristics of 991 GT3 owners, or is it just your impression? I do not know what percentage of the potential buyers of 991 GT3 switching from 911 GTS. These are quite different cars (GT3/GTS) with different attributes. I thought the majority would be previous GT3 owners (not necessarily 997.2 GT3) but I may be wrong. I am one those historical buyers replacing my 2005 GT3 (which I had it for 8 yrs) with 991 GT3.
Nope. Just my impression.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:49 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Destaccado, when are you going to buy a 997 GTS-RS?
Old 10-09-2014, 06:02 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Not trying to fuel the fire, but let me see if I got what Brian is trying to say:

So Brian, you're saying in your opinion is that since previous generation GT3/RS' shared the same engine platform with the cup cars they do deserve the 'GT3' moniker, and since the engine is completely different on the 991 it does not? Is this correct?

If so, getting past this particular argument about the engine, the previous generation GT3's had not much else in common with the cup cars other than the engine (suspension, brakes, aero, etc.). So how did they deserve the 'GT3' moniker and were not closer to a GTS or a Carrera S than a cup car?

Everyone here is aware of the fact that the engine is different on the 991 GT3 compared to the cups and previous gens, and accepted it. It's what Porsche now offers unfortunately, period. No getting past that.

It's been stated by Porsche numerous times in the past that the power was maxed out with the 4.0L and there is no way of increasing the engine displacement on the Mezger block without risking the structural integrity of the block (yes, there are a few tuners going past a 4.0L displacement). I'm pretty sure if Porsche felt like they could squeeze more displacement than 4.0L out of the Mezger block safely they would have done so on their race cars. So Porsche did something we did not think was possible back in the day and created a brand new motor for the street car.

Yes, the new motor is also cheaper to produce compared to the Mezger based engine and Porsche is in the game to make money. But they have achieved to make a much faster car with the 991 than previous generations on pretty much any aspect with the long term liability still being a big question mark. Maybe they went with a new motor to save on cost, or maybe they thought the engine wouldn't easily last over 100,000 miles with more displacement. Who knows... All I know is: it's here to stay whether we accept it or not.

I'm quite happy with my 7.2 GT3 and plan on keeping it. So if you don't like the new platform then join the 997 club

Flame suit on!!!
Old 10-09-2014, 08:03 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sin911
Not trying to fuel the fire, but let me see if I got what Brian is trying to say:

So Brian, you're saying in your opinion is that since previous generation GT3/RS' shared the same engine platform with the cup cars they do deserve the 'GT3' moniker, and since the engine is completely different on the 991 it does not? Is this correct?
Mostly. I think the engine is the heart of the car.

Originally Posted by sin911
If so, getting past this particular argument about the engine, the previous generation GT3's had not much else in common with the cup cars other than the engine (suspension, brakes, aero, etc.). So how did they deserve the 'GT3' moniker and were not closer to a GTS or a Carrera S than a cup car?

Everyone here is aware of the fact that the engine is different on the 991 GT3 compared to the cups and previous gens, and accepted it. It's what Porsche now offers unfortunately, period. No getting past that.

It's been stated by Porsche numerous times in the past that the power was maxed out with the 4.0L and there is no way of increasing the engine displacement on the Mezger block without risking the structural integrity of the block (yes, there are a few tuners going past a 4.0L displacement). I'm pretty sure if Porsche felt like they could squeeze more displacement than 4.0L out of the Mezger block safely they would have done so on their race cars. So Porsche did something we did not think was possible back in the day and created a brand new motor for the street car.

Yes, the new motor is also cheaper to produce compared to the Mezger based engine and Porsche is in the game to make money. But they have achieved to make a much faster car with the 991 than previous generations on pretty much any aspect with the long term liability still being a big question mark. Maybe they went with a new motor to save on cost, or maybe they thought the engine wouldn't easily last over 100,000 miles with more displacement. Who knows... All I know is: it's here to stay whether we accept it or not.

I'm quite happy with my 7.2 GT3 and plan on keeping it. So if you don't like the new platform then join the 997 club

Flame suit on!!!
I plan to get one. I've been looking a couple months now. I definitely think 'profit' was what pushed the move to the 9a1.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:06 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

I'm stepping out of this thread so it can get back on track. It's been real a fun discussion.

Enjoy your GTS-R's in the best of health
Old 10-09-2014, 08:20 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the engine is the heart of the car.
I am me, if I have a heart transplant, I am still me

Quick Reply: GTS