Sponsored by:

GTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 11:38 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
You're right. Signing off for the evening before the wife gets sleepy, I can think of a better way to spend my time and energy .
This is a thread on the GTS; the only people trolling are the people adding zero facts to the discussion and making untrue claims such as claiming 'you're contradicting yourself' and then being unable to prove it.

Perhaps your wife makes the logical debates in your household and you do the "feels"?
Old 10-08-2014, 11:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
.... the 991 GT3's 9a1 is a derivative of the Boxster's 9a1.
Wrong again. The only parts in common between the 9A1 in the GT3 and Boxster are the raw crankcase (not the machining), the cylinder head bolts, the timing chain, and the alternator. Everything else is of new design, hardly derivative.

Sorry, man, but your "facts" need a lot of work.

This is a thread on the GTS; the only people trolling are the people adding zero facts to the discussion and making untrue claims such as claiming 'you're contradicting yourself' and then being unable to prove it.
Now THAT's irony for you....
Old 10-08-2014, 11:44 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The 996 and 997 GT3 share derivatives of the same CUP motor and the CUP is homologated off of it. This isn't the case with the 991.

So yes -- that's not what I said.

Porsche decided the 991 GT3 wasn't a GT3 when they didn't use the motor in the race car. If that changes in the future than my opinion on the 991 GT3 would change as well.
So you're saying if Porsche installs a Motorsport cousin engine into anything, that car is automatically worthy of the GT3 moniker?

You do realize that the 991 RSR is homologated ... wait for it ... the 991 RSR was homologated from the 991 Carrera as the 991 GT3 was not yet in production. There is no homologation requirement that the road car share the Motorsport power plant.

Ryan
Old 10-08-2014, 11:45 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Sorry, you're wrong about that. The new CL's have larger bearing journals and larger wheel bearings that are identical to the GT3 Cup. The GT3 specific CL also now has a stronger wheel hub for better camber stability and the carrier bots are fixed to the wheel hub instead of the brake chamber as with the 997 GT3 and more generic CL versions in other models.
Fair enough Mike. I knew they'd been reinforced but what I'd heard last was that they were still distinguishable from the CUP. Are you sure the GTS isn't using the same centerlocks at the 991 GT3?
Old 10-08-2014, 11:50 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Now THAT's irony for you....
07/23/2013: New DFI heads have been developed for the totally redesigned 9A1 motorsport engine in the 991 GT3.

A prediction: all of this speculation will be become irrelevant within a year of the start of GT3 production when Porsche begins to race the new DFI motor.
Okay Mike!
Old 10-08-2014, 11:51 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 10-08-2014, 11:57 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

God this thread reminds me so much of one we had last week where someone just incessantly rambled on. See Destaccado, plenty of folks on here respect one another and communicate their opinions to each other without insult. I took your response to my quite respectful post and shredded it and then deleted realizing its not worth it. You clearly are big on the last word, so you can have it. Let's remember also, that your initial statement, which was the one I was responding to, Never mentioned the CUP. It was..

"At the end of the day the 991 GT3 is MUCH closer to the 991 GTS than it is to the previous generations of GT3"

And again. No its not. But by all means continue, it's giving us a good laugh.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:04 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Fair enough Mike. I knew they'd been reinforced but what I'd heard last was that they were still distinguishable from the CUP. Are you sure the GTS isn't using the same centerlocks at the 991 GT3?
Porsche says that the improvements to the CL's and hubs are "GT3 specific". They haven't carried over to any other models in the line to date, so I can't be 100% certain until more info on the GTS is available.

Okay Mike!
Predictions are speculation and we do a lot of that around here. I don't mind so much being wrong when I speculate about something.

But when I quote a fact I really like to make sure that it's correct and I feel badly if I get it wrong. And I certainly wouldn't quote incorrect information and then give others a bad time for not bringing good facts to the conversation.

But that's just me. Nothing personal.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:04 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Strimdog
God this thread reminds me so much of one we had last week where someone just incessantly rambled on. See Destaccado, plenty of folks on here respect one another and communicate their opinions to each other without insult. I took your response to my quite respectful post and shredded it and then deleted realizing its not worth it. You clearly are big on the last word, so you can have it. Let's remember also, that your initial statement, which was the one I was responding to, Never mentioned the CUP. It was..

"At the end of the day the 991 GT3 is MUCH closer to the 991 GTS than it is to the previous generations of GT3"

And again. No its not. But by all means continue, it's giving us a good laugh.
And again. Yes it is. Derivatives of the same motor, transmission, steering, and more. Nearly the entire powertrain are derivatives of the same components the GTS uses. I'll take that last word -- thanks.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:07 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

While the DFI motor is not campaigned in the 991 Cup / 991 RSR, it is run in the Cayman Intersies and by several teams in the Continental Tire Series in Porsche Caymans.

Guess that means the 9a1 block has racing pedigree.

Ryan
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

And again. Yes it is. Derivatives of the same motor, transmission, steering, and more. Nearly the entire powertrain is derived from the same components the GTS is. I'll take that last word -- thanks.
Quick run to the 991 GTS thread, someone just questioned your comment there about the GT3 not being a gt3.
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by doubleurx
I'm old enough to remember when that was first aired. Wonderful. Thanks for that, Nick.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:09 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

And again. Yes it is. Derivatives of the same motor.....
We just covered this. Why do you keep repeating it? Why....?

Oh, right.....see video clip above
Old 10-09-2014, 12:11 AM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

And again. Yes it is. Derivatives of the same motor, transmission, steering, and more. Nearly the entire powertrain are derivatives of the same components the GTS uses. I'll take that last word -- thanks.
You're welcome. Enjoy your GTS and I'll enjoy my GT3. We'll both be happy.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:13 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Strimdog
You're welcome. Enjoy your GTS and I'll enjoy my GT3. We'll both be happy.

With two cars that are worlds apart!

Quick Reply: GTS