Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by inndee
BTW-I find it a little out of character for GT owners in general when they discuss whether or not they are going to sell a 1GT3 the just/recently bought and can resell used with miles for the same or more in order to get an RS. If you can get the allocation this is a bigger no-brainer than upgrading a three-year-old Camary IMHO. The additional investment vs known return should have nothing but a positive influence on the decision, and is that really what it's about?? I mean they Both don't have a back seat... and imagine us "lesser" 991 owners--I'm keeping mine, but if it was a trade-in question, it would be a >50K hit... just saying...
I appreciate your perspective, but I have another POV. The cars do have their differences; one is more "over the top" than the other which can be either a plus or a minus depending on how you look at it. It remains to be seen, but my guess is that one will also be a more enjoyable road car than the other; again the tolerance level on that is going to depend on the individual. One is going to have a slightly higher level of performance, but that's only relevant if the owner is willing to use it in an environment where it can be exploited. I wonder how many prospective RS owners will actually track their loaded $200K cars? One will offer greater bragging rights, if that's important. And of course there's the price. The point being, the comparative desirability of each car isn't cut and dried. It depends.

As to the ROI making the decision a no brainer, I respectfully disagree. As with the above, it depends. Personally, I planned to keep this car, whether it was going to be a GT3 or an RS, a long, long time. Assuming, correctly as it turned out, that an RS would be significantly more expensive than a GT3 I weighed what I wanted in a car against all of the factors, including cost. The thought of keeping an additional $40-50K tied up in an automobile on the prospect of perhaps making a somewhat larger profit 10,15, or more years down the road didn't appeal. For me, the no brainer was buying a car for about $50K less that satisfied all of my desires. YMMV.

In no way is this a put down of the RS. Fabulous car, and if it's what is required to float someone else's boat, it's worth every penny of it's price. I was able to get my boat in the water for less money, and I doubt very much if anyone is going to be happier with their pricier dream car than I am with mine. Cheers.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
That makes sense. I must of heard that in the EVO AP interview at Geneva when he was talking about the motor. I assumed he mentioned them because they were different than the 3's....
Yeah they must be different in some ways, but the diff isn't that one is forged titanium and the other isn't.

Originally Posted by Nan P
Thanks Mike....that's what I thought too....
Very curious of all the differences between the two motors. & by the way, when I do pull the trigger for a 991GT3, it'll be GR: yours look awesome
Thanks Nan!
Old 03-05-2015, 09:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nan P
Thanks for the info Macca.
Really great times to be a Porsche enthusiast; GT4/GT3/GT3RS....all great options.
I will be upgrading to the GT3....suits my budget & style, but can't wait for some owner reviews of the RS.
Mate you must be psychic. I was typing exactly same thing over at GT4 board just now. With Mech33 news there maybe a PDK GT4 in the wings launch Sept 2016 and also mention of another GT type car in MT soon (Spyder?) then talk is theres enough interest may be GT4RS in 2017. Add to that what Im hearing about possible LE gen 2 GT3 in manual. Bloody great time to be a consumer!
Old 03-05-2015, 09:59 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
does clarke use brakes?
Not as much as I do for sure and he'll still will only run PCCB on his .2GT3.

Originally Posted by Macca
Mate you must be psychic. I was tyoping exactkly same thing over at GT4 board just now. With Mech33 news there maybe a PDK GT4 in the wings launch Sept 2016 and also mention of another GT type car in MT soon (Spyder?) then talk is theres enough interest may be GT4RS in 2017. Add to that what Im hearing about possible LE gen 2 GT3 in manual. Bloody great time to be a consumer!
GT4RS.. 991.2 manual..
I'll keep working hard then..
Old 03-05-2015, 10:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Not as much as I do for sure and he'll still will only run PCCB on his .2GT3.

GT4RS.. 991.2 manual..
I'll keep working hard then..
Peter they have you addicted to the track cocaine! Unfortunately they have us all addicted. Keep on workin...
Old 03-05-2015, 10:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Yeah they must be different in some ways, but the diff isn't that one is forged titanium and the other isn't.

Thanks Nan!
My guess its to do with the fasteners, their size and how they seat?
Old 03-05-2015, 10:05 PM
inndee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I appreciate your perspective, but I have another POV. The cars do have their differences; one is more "over the top" than the other which can be either a plus or a minus depending on how you look at it. It remains to be seen, but my guess is that one will also be a more enjoyable road car than the other; again the tolerance level on that is going to depend on the individual. One is going to have a slightly higher level of performance, but that's only relevant if the owner is willing to use it in an environment where it can be exploited. I wonder how many prospective RS owners will actually track their loaded $200K cars? One will offer greater bragging rights, if that's important. And of course there's the price. The point being, the comparative desirability of each car isn't cut and dried. It depends.

As to the ROI making the decision a no brainer, I respectfully disagree. As with the above, it depends. Personally, I planned to keep this car, whether it was going to be a GT3 or an RS, a long, long time. Assuming, correctly as it turned out, that an RS would be significantly more expensive than a GT3 I weighed what I wanted in a car against all of the factors, including cost. The thought of keeping an additional $40-50K tied up in an automobile on the prospect of perhaps making a somewhat larger profit 10,15, or more years down the road didn't appeal. For me, the no brainer was buying a car for about $50K less that satisfied all of my desires. YMMV.

In no way is this a put down of the RS. Fabulous car, and if it's what is required to float someone else's boat, it's worth every penny of it's price. I was able to get my boat in the water for less money, and I doubt very much if anyone is going to be happier with their pricier dream car than I am with mine. Cheers.
Fully appreciate! I guess the biggest "difference of opinion" stems from the equity "tied up". I have this all over the place and welcome it existing someplace that brings me joy rather than excel 😊
Old 03-05-2015, 10:12 PM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a quick photochop I did if PTS ever becomes available on the 991 GT3RS. It's Mexico Blue, but seems slightly lighter than what I was going for. But I like it.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:13 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Just a quick photochop I did if PTS ever becomes available on the 991 GT3RS. It's Mexico Blue, but seems slightly lighter than what I was going for. But I like it.
thats one of the neat things about Porsche the ability to customize, to make your car yours and unique, I hope PTS shows up, if we whine enough perhaps we'll get it
Old 03-05-2015, 10:21 PM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Simply beautiful. I hope they would hear us and give a damn. For 200 grand we should be able to have the color we want.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:24 PM
biko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't quite understand the rationalizations for and against (mostly against) the RS over the '3. Come on, there are great sports cars at all price points and there is always something more expensive. Inevitably there are diminishing returns as the price goes higher. Ask any Corvette owner about a GT3.

Will I track my RS? Sure! Then again my daily driver is an F12. Would I track my P1 or 918? Probably once just to say I did. Others have no problem tracking theirs regularly.

Enjoy your cars, drive them more and spend the money if you want to!

It is an irrational hobby after all.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:25 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by biko

Most 'rational' statement of the thread.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:32 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't quite understand the rationalizations for and against (mostly against) the RS over the '3. Come on, there are great sports cars at all price points and there is always something more expensive. Inevitably there are diminishing returns as the price goes higher. Ask any Corvette owner about a GT3.

Will I track my RS? Sure! Then again my daily driver is an F12. Would I track my P1 or 918? Probably once just to say I did. Others have no problem tracking theirs regularly.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:39 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Mate you must be psychic. I was typing exactly same thing over at GT4 board just now. With Mech33 news there maybe a PDK GT4 in the wings launch Sept 2016 and also mention of another GT type car in MT soon (Spyder?) then talk is theres enough interest may be GT4RS in 2017. Add to that what Im hearing about possible LE gen 2 GT3 in manual. Bloody great time to be a consumer!
I've not checked that thread, but heard from a very good source that there is a GT4 PDK in testing and they're having cooling issues with it.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:42 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,723 Likes on 5,121 Posts

Totally agree, and very legit points.

I would only suggest all those preaching against paying anything above MSRP to take a read at your last sentence.

There is nothing rational about paying MSRP (a number essentially picked out by some number cruncher), and certainly nothing more (or less) irrational than paying MSRP +dealer markup.

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread