Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 08:59 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kain
Sorry if this has already been discussed but what does Lava Orange really look like? I've seen pics where it looks like pure bright orange whereas in other pics it looks like a pale or washed-out orange.
Depending on the light source indoors or sunlight/cloud conditions outside, it will vary. Knowing what lava orange looks like is a moving target. I think that defines a great color.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:11 PM
PC Valkyrie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know if this has been posted yet, so apologies if already here.

In the April issue of CAR magazine, there are several quotes from Preuninger about the upcoming 991 GT3 RS which I find quite interesting.

"RS is the most extreme Porsche, and the new RS is even more extreme than its predecessor - by quite some margin. You think the RS is an evolution of the GT3? Think again. This time, it's almost a quantum leap. We have re-positioned it. The new RS is its own kind of supercar. And the price is about on par with the Turbo."

"This is definitely not a 24/7 car. You don't really want to drive it that much on public roads. We spent a lot of research and development effort making this car shine on the track. That's where the GT3 RS belongs."

This sounds all very exciting......a more focused track capable car with less compromises for every day use. There is already a sense that driving a 991 GT3 on everyday roads feels like a caged animal........sounds like that could be even more of the case with the 991 GT3 RS. I hope everyone who is getting a 991 GT3 RS will enjoy their beasts on a proper race track/circuit!!
Old 04-26-2015, 10:22 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
I hope everyone who is getting a 991 GT3 RS will enjoy their beasts on a proper race track/circuit!!
Sure will!
Old 04-26-2015, 10:30 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

In the April issue of CAR magazine, there are several quotes from Preuninger about the upcoming 991 GT3 RS which I find quite interesting.

"RS is the most extreme Porsche, and the new RS is even more extreme than its predecessor - by quite some margin. You think the RS is an evolution of the GT3? Think again. This time, it's almost a quantum leap. We have re-positioned it. The new RS is its own kind of supercar. And the price is about on par with the Turbo."

"This is definitely not a 24/7 car. You don't really want to drive it that much on public roads. We spent a lot of research and development effort making this car shine on the track. That's where the GT3 RS belongs."

This sounds all very exciting......a more focused track capable car with less compromises for every day use. There is already a sense that driving a 991 GT3 on everyday roads feels like a caged animal........sounds like that could be even more of the case with the 991 GT3 RS. I hope everyone who is getting a 991 GT3 RS will enjoy their beasts on a proper race track/circuit!!
Funny.....and despite all these telling statements he expects us to believe only a 5 second improvement over GT3 N-ring time? For the love of Porsche, Preuninger needs to come clean as he's been fibbing or not telling the whole truth for some time now.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:31 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There will still be many, who never see the track, just to say the have one. Nothing wrong with that, to each their own.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:05 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Mine will see the track once for ****s and giggles then back to the cup car!!
Old 04-27-2015, 05:51 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by home7271
NateOZ, you are correct! Found this article and it explains very well how the RB F1 cars ran higher rake angles and made it work better than the rivals.

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/rake_angle.html
The diffuser on my open wheeler is 8 degrees over a distance of 1 meter ,,,the diffuser starts just in front of the rear wheels and the ride height at that point is 85 mm from ground to floor pan ,,,the diffuser then finishes 100mm past the rear of the car allowing for maximum expansion in the recovery area at the rear of the car.........

Car aero in simple terms read this link................

http://superhachi.com/theory/downforce/

Last edited by Raven 666; 04-27-2015 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:36 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 130 Likes on 59 Posts

It will be very interesting to see the first media reports of the new RS. I sat in the car at Shanghai auto show last week and have to say it doesn't speak to you in the way AP puts it. So they must have stiffened up the suspension a lot and made it very track focused.
The inside of the car looked very 24/7 friendly. comfort and luxury. I have to say the exterior looks very aggressive and nice. The stance of the car is different from the 997 with the slight forward lean. Lava orange is a love it or hate it color. I liked it a lot more live than in pictures. And I think it will look great in sunshine.
Hopefully it delivers what AP said? A raw track focused car. Can't wait to watch the first videos.....
Old 04-27-2015, 08:56 AM
major dad
Racer

Pruminger has been telling Porkies for past few years - never make a 4 RS as it wont rev, no PDK, track focused 991 RS , it s not !

Re Lava Colour, I had a good look at it in Geneva. IMHO the bright studio lights distorted the colour to my eyes, when I shielded them a bit I saw what I think is the true shade we will see in the street , it's Blood Orange, I know as I had two if them before on my 911s.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:16 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,833 Likes on 952 Posts

If that's true then why the bling bling interior?
Old 04-27-2015, 09:54 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 625 Likes on 299 Posts

5 sec Ring improvement-come on!! Just isn't worth it!
Old 04-27-2015, 10:28 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Is there an official recent ring time ? The figure you quote was from a supposed test mule run many months ago. Too early to tell but I suspect the gap will be considerably larger than previously reported given the long track the ring is. Not too hard to imagine with much greater downforce, mechanical grip and some added ponies.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:33 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

No official time yet, but it will probably end up being around 8 to 10 seconds - Porsche has always outperformed the press release time.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:35 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NateOZ
No official time yet, but it will probably end up being around 8 to 10 seconds - Porsche has always outperformed the press release time.
That was my thought....significant.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:59 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
That is an estimate as I believe they have not completed an official run. I but it is under that time with the improved aero and extra power.

FYI the posted time for the 997 GT3 RS was 7:33 and the GT3 RS 4.0 was 7:27. Similar difference and I can tell you the 4.0 was worth the extra $50k they sold for when new.

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread