Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 10:38 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I still must be missing something. Why wouldn't the headline here be that the 991 GT3 was the last/final/best of an outgoing engine platform that has been very reliable throughout the Porsche range...? Prior to shifting to turbo charging for environmental regulatory reasons...
Old 01-22-2015, 10:49 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
As a diversion while we wait... not sure if lower photo of the model (from rear) has been posted yet. Sorry if it has been.

hey, can you turn it over and take a few pics? does it have RWS? Does it in fact have a "new engine"? Im dying to know!

That blood orange is my color!!!!
Old 01-22-2015, 11:04 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Polesitter
We may be saying the same thing differently. The 991 GT3 engine could very well be the blueprint for what is deemed an "all new" engine. Perhaps a derivative of the 9A1 with various changes and component enhancements gets PM where they need to be. What is truly new or revolutionary vs evolutionary may be semantics. Although with this much time to develop a 9A1 derivative and it still not be deemed worthy of an invitation to the Motorsport prom, maybe it is more new than old.

As an aside, I did mention in a previous post that it has been vaguely hinted (and I heard some unconfirmed anecdotal chatter in the paddock) that there is another serious motor lurking around Weissach that is being vetted. The context was race engine. Maybe BS, but I circle back to racing reality and that they truly need to do something soon. Frankly, this transcends engines as well, but that's for another day.

Maybe the RS serves as a platform for this initiative. It spreads out some R&D costs, provides the RS a halo effect, serves as a homologation platform, enables a bigger pricing premium, satisfies the bean counters because they aren't putting it in umpteen thousand road going units, the hard core constituency gets a lump of sugar and this thread shuts down before it hits 500 pages !!!
Wasn't the rationale for installing the Mezger engine in the 996 and 997.1 turbos (as well as GT3 and GT2) the ability to amortize production over more units and consequently lower costs?
Old 01-22-2015, 11:06 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
There's just no way the 991.2 C2S will have more power than the 991.1 Turbo. It's just not Porsche's style to do that. Unless they announce the 991.2 Turbo to have 600hp at the same time they announce the dramatically powered 991.2 C2S... which is still unlikely (but not impossible).
I agree the goal here is to reduce emissions. The 911 will probably get a 2.7l - 3.0l producing 365 hp and equivalent torque with Turbos. That is quite a jump from the 287 torque it currently has.
The S will probably get slightly larger displacement.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:49 AM
alaint101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

We may be saying the same thing differently. The 991 GT3 engine could very well be the blueprint for what is deemed an "all new" engine. Perhaps a derivative of the 9A1 with various changes and component enhancements gets PM where they need to be. What is truly new or revolutionary vs evolutionary may be semantics. Although with this much time to develop a 9A1 derivative and it still not be deemed worthy of an invitation to the Motorsport prom, maybe it is more new than old. As an aside, I did mention in a previous post that it has been vaguely hinted (and I heard some unconfirmed anecdotal chatter in the paddock) that there is another serious motor lurking around Weissach that is being vetted. The context was race engine. Maybe BS, but I circle back to racing reality and that they truly need to do something soon. Frankly, this transcends engines as well, but that's for another day. Maybe the RS serves as a platform for this initiative. It spreads out some R&D costs, provides the RS a halo effect, serves as a homologation platform, enables a bigger pricing premium, satisfies the bean counters because they aren't putting it in umpteen thousand road going units, the hard core constituency gets a lump of sugar and this thread shuts down before it hits 500 pages !!!
i tend to like this line of thinking.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the failure mode(s) of the 9A1 in race application? That would lend credibility of the 'evo 9A1' perspective. Might be viewed as completely new but still be tweaks in the grand scheme of things.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:55 AM
alaint101
Racer

Originally Posted by Macca
Quite honestly I have little faith these days in reporting on the web.
to your point Macca, I don't remember anyone officially quoting the interview. It seems to be more paraphrasing than quotes...
Old 01-22-2015, 11:57 AM
alaint101
Racer

Originally Posted by kosmo
hey, can you turn it over and take a few pics? does it have RWS? Does it in fact have a "new engine"? Im dying to know! That blood orange is my color!!!!
RWS was listed as one of the RS features in the 'interview', fwiw.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:49 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I'm definitely one of the lunatics that loves the connection between the Motorsport engine and the road going RS! Call me a wannabe race driver. We are probably a very small group and most hang out here on RL. That's what's make it fun! I meet 7RS owners that don't know what a Mezger engine is.
+1. Count me in. I'm not only lunatic enough to kiss my Mezger engine at night, I even kiss my manual transmission gear **** - after brushing my teeth at night.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 130 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Mike, just FYI, in the motorsport magazine interview, that Pete posted few pages ago, Hatz clearly states the new RS engine is new compared to both previous RS and the current GT3 -

Also, reading the Motorsports Magazine article, I don't think it is one quote to one journalist that is being regurgitated, but different interviews to the different media outlets -

So it sounds Hatz repeated that information to multiple media outlets. If that is the case, I doubt it is the case of everyone misquoting him. The only question then is, is Hatz himself misinformed or deliberately misleading?
sunnyr, I see what you are referring to. I still suspect that a lot is being inferred from a single transcribed comment, and misinterpretation remains a good possibility, but what I suspect is pretty much irrelevant as I have no more info on which to base my suspicions than anyone else. At this point the proof will be in the pudding and the pudding should be ready in....oh....about 6 weeks.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:58 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,881 Likes on 970 Posts

Maybe BS, but I circle back to racing reality and that they truly need to do something soon. Frankly, this transcends engines as well, but that's for another day.
Not a priority for a lot of Porsche's new GT3 target market as demonstrated on this forum, but for some of us it's the 800lb gorilla that's been lurking in the room from day one. Let's hope they get back on the program with whatever goes into the RS.

Good luck in the 24 Polesitter!
Old 01-22-2015, 02:01 PM
alaint101
Racer

Originally Posted by 997s07
+1. Count me in. I'm not only lunatic enough to kiss my Mezger engine at night, I even kiss my manual transmission gear **** - after brushing my teeth at night.
What? No listerine?!? That's like skipping the IPA wipe down during detailing...
Old 01-22-2015, 03:21 PM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the message is clear, PAG wants to distance itself from the 991 GT3 engine disaster. it could be a marketing
issue or a serious engineering one, no one knows (probably a mixture of both). at this point i would not buy a 991 GT3, the value could drop dead after the new-engine-991-RS release.
peter
Old 01-22-2015, 03:34 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by markow
the message is clear, PAG wants to distance itself from the 991 GT3 engine disaster. it could be a marketing
issue or a serious engineering one, no one knows (probably a mixture of both). at this point i would not buy a 991 GT3, the value could drop dead after the new-engine-991-RS release.
peter
that's actually ok... because if there was ever a car I would be fine to drive for the next many years, this is it... the most exciting car I have driven in my life...
Old 01-22-2015, 03:38 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
that's actually ok... because if there was ever a car I would be fine to drive for the next many years, this is it... the most exciting car I have driven in my life...
I guess you've never driven a manual gearbox car then. Don't know how you could think it is exciting.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:40 PM
PeteyDaddy
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking for a 2nd GT3 so this is good news
Originally Posted by mrsullivan

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread