Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 04:36 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 947 Posts

I suspect the focus on what happens with RS as a driver of base GT3 values is overdone. The scarcity and increasingly divergent design briefs suggest less impact than in the past.

My guess is that what happens with the 991.2 GT3 has greater potential to impact 991.1 GT3 values. If the 991.2 GT3 sees a "new" naturally aspirated motor coupled with the normal small refinements of gen2 offerings, then I'd expect normal depreciation on 991.1, i.e., what was witnessed with the 997.1/997.2 GT3 transition prior to the 991 GT3 details leaking. On the other hand, if the 991.2 GT3 incorporates turbo and/or hybrid then I'd expect very strong price support for the 991.1 GT3 similar to what we've witnessed with recent 997 GT3 prices.

Last edited by Nizer; 01-22-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
I don't think that's true at all... Even if Petevb was correct and the engine is an evolutionary design, the very fact that the marketing spin suggest otherwise is potentially problematic.

Most GT3 buyers will have been aware of the engine malfunctions. If the marketing around the RS is that it has a completely new engine as it appears it will be so far then that will imply that Porsche is moving on from the GT3 engine and people will conclude from that that it was a flawed and then orphaned design.

I think there's a lot of owners here who are 'talking their book'. Owners that are deeply invested and want to believe that there (1) isn't a completely new engine in the RS and (2) that there isn't going to be any resale impact from the engine issues... that they were compensated for.
Given that I'm completely happy with my car and have no intention of selling it for many years, the possible resale impact on the car a decade or more from now is the last thing I'm worried about. For guys who buy a car a year, and have to have the latest thing, maybe that's a potential concern, but that's not me.

Anyway, there are far too many 'ifs" around this issue, so I think it wiser to just wait and see what happens with the new RS and to 991 GT3 values. FWIW, we'll have to agree to disagree on just what that will be.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:11 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
my guess is most of the 991 RS customers already own a 991 GT3. and they will be trading in their 991 GT3s when the RS arrives. in this case if 700 come to the states and half of those are upgrades from the regular 991 GT3 then you will all of a sudden have 350 extra 1-2-3 year old 991 GT3's on the market. That will hurt the value way more than any engine speculation..

anyone who races/tracks a 991 GT3 now is secretly dying inside to be the first to blow the replaced/revised engines. They are beating the **** out of this car on the track and no engines have blown since the fiasco. ZERO so no matter what engine ends up in the RS i don't think people are going to talk negatively about the 991 GT3 motor. its a beauty, its fast, fun, high revving, NON TURBO, and and can take a pounding.

just my .02, and i dont know much
On this topic of 991 gt3 resale values , its no different from last time. In 2011-2012 when RS came out GT3 values dropped a bit with increase in Gt3 supply due to RS trades. After a few years it recovered. I predict it will be the same this time. Especially if the new 991 gt3 rs is restricted to 600 vs 1500 last time ...not everyone is willing to pay 50 k delta or have an available allocation. So overall 991 Gt3 should do okay over 4 year time frame. Plus it maybe the last NA 9k rpm GT3.

GT3 has the best resale values of any car in this price range , there are no other options really. Even if it drops more than last time its better than what many other cars see (Mp4 , amg etc..)
Old 01-22-2015, 05:44 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

My thoughts... The news on the GT3 RS and Cayman GT4 engines is good for normally aspirated engine lovers. While the rest of the lineup is going forced induction, Porsche is keeping normal aspiration for the GT cars (for now) as we'd hoped they would.

If the new Carrera engine doesn't share its foundation with the GT3 RS that would be worrisome. It could suggest that the new architecture doesn't support larger displacements, leaving normally aspirated engines to stagnate and wither on the old platform. To achieve the desired goal of efficiency engine capacity must be reduced by about 20%, so there must have been temptation to downsize the entire engine to save size and weight. If the RS is built on the new platform we'll know that temptation has been resisted.

Given that the 4.0 liters displacement isn't required for any turbo application, it would also suggest to me a commitment to normal aspiration for some time, hopefully including competition models.

I would bet that the genesis of the new platform has much to do with the arrival of the upcoming 4 cylinder boxster/ Cayman engines. I'd bet the ancillaries, etc will all be shared to reduce costs, just as modularity and parts sharing were fundamentals behind the 9A1.

While this is good for Porsche enthusiasts, it might be less good for 991 GT3 values- I agree they'll go up as the last NA GT3, but down if it's replaced with a similar but superior .2 version as we've seen with every GT3 that's come before.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:45 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,180 Likes on 2,386 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
I suspect the focus on what happens with RS as a driver of base GT3 values is overdone. The scarcity and increasingly divergent design briefs suggest less impact than in the past.

My guess is that what happens with the 991.2 GT3 has greater potential to impact 991.1 GT3 values. If the 991.2 GT3 sees a "new" naturally aspirated motor coupled with the normal small refinements of gen2 offerings, then I'd expect normal depreciation on 991.1, i.e., what was witnessed with the 997.1/997.2 GT3 transition prior to the 991 GT3 details leaking. On the other hand, if the 991.2 GT3 incorporates turbo and/or hybrid then I'd expect very strong price support for the 991.1 GT3 similar to what we've witnessed with recent 997 GT3 prices.
... which I predict will be dropping as the 991 GT3 hits the roads and tracks in large numbers and becomes increasingly coveted. Biggest objection to the 991 GT3 was the PDK, but the PDK in this car continues to convert 'manual purists' after they actually drive the car, so that doesn't leave much reason to prefer the 997 GT3 IMO. If I had a 997 GT3 which I was hanging on to for investment reasons, I'd be selling it immediately.

And I'd turn the argument of GT3 vs RS engine around. With a $50K additional cost for a car that will lap a typical track only ~1s faster, Porsche needs to justify the big cost increase, and emphasizing how 'new' the engine is could be part of that, regardless of what the actual differences in the engines will be. Many RS buyers may be wealthy enough that they don't care about another $50K, but I suspect that the average GT3 buyer does care about the $50K, so the overlap in the markets for the two cars may not be as large as some think.

And I agree with others that, in a car I plan to hammer repeatedly on the track, I'd rather have an engine which has some real world empirical evidence of being up to snuff, rather a 'brand new' engine.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:59 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by markow
the message is clear, PAG wants to distance itself from the 991 GT3 engine disaster. it could be a marketing issue or a serious engineering one, no one knows (probably a mixture of both). at this point i would not buy a 991 GT3, the value could drop dead after the new-engine-991-RS release. peter
New 10,000 post thread on Rennlist "...from a trusted source: 991 GT3 values dropping dead"..
Old 01-22-2015, 06:41 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

I'll hazard a guess that most people who bought this car while spending thousands on wraps/customizing are doing pretty well financially and won't go bankrupt if they take a hit on selling/trading. So most will just enjoy it and not worry one way or another and I think that's the best way to look at this perspective about value. In the end,I don't see this GT3 taking an out of the ordinary hit on value.
At least,that's the way I'd look at it... Of course I don't have anything invested in the car,so my opinion might not matter...
Old 01-22-2015, 07:56 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 124 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
... which I predict will be dropping as the 991 GT3 hits the roads and tracks in large numbers and becomes increasingly coveted. Biggest objection to the 991 GT3 was the PDK, but the PDK in this car continues to convert 'manual purists' after they actually drive the car, so that doesn't leave much reason to prefer the 997 GT3 IMO. If I had a 997 GT3 which I was hanging on to for investment reasons, I'd be selling it immediately. And I'd turn the argument of GT3 vs RS engine around. With a $50K additional cost for a car that will lap a typical track only ~1s faster, Porsche needs to justify the big cost increase, and emphasizing how 'new' the engine is could be part of that, regardless of what the actual differences in the engines will be. Many RS buyers may be wealthy enough that they don't care about another $50K, but I suspect that the average GT3 buyer does care about the $50K, so the overlap in the markets for the two cars may not be as large as some think. And I agree with others that, in a car I plan to hammer repeatedly on the track, I'd rather have an engine which has some real world empirical evidence of being up to snuff, rather a 'brand new' engine.
1.Nah, the 7.3 should have dropped if that would have been the case! 1.3 has been around long enough for people to see how brilliant it is!

2. I don't think anyone buys a gt3 as an investment. But always nice to be able to enjoy your car and not end up in the turbo depreciation league. RS is different!

3. If you can afford a 150k car chances are you can afford a 200k car!

I agree that I much rather have a proven engine than a brand new one.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:09 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
1.Nah, the 7.3 should have dropped if that would have been the case! 1.3 has been around long enough for people to see how brilliant it is!

2. I don't think anyone buys a gt3 as an investment. But always nice to be able to enjoy your car and not end up in the turbo depreciation league. RS is different!

3. If you can afford a 150k car chances are you can afford a 200k car!

I agree that I much rather have a proven engine than a brand new one.
1. Give it 6 more months. Flood of 991 GT3s has only recently begun hitting the streets. And not many have showed up at the track yet, but they will in 2015.

2. Some do, but I agree that most don't.

3. Agree, but I still think the buyer of the RS will be significantly more well heeled, on average.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:23 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 619 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
nearly 250pages and 64 more days until Geneva. Whats the over-under, 300pages???
Geneva is March 5th = 6 weeks = 42 days, no?
Old 01-22-2015, 08:56 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So the new RS has a pit lane speed limiter. That's needed, no? If it has a drink button on the steering wheel, then I'm in.

Seriously, the car sounds like a track weapon, but the gimmicks are getting more outrageous. It seems that Porsche is following this eccentric market line.

Engine aside, there is more reason to believe that each generation of GT3s, are becoming less raw.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:18 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997s07
Engine aside, there is more reason to believe that each generation of GT3s, are becoming less raw.
Fun > raw
Old 01-22-2015, 09:34 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Fun > raw
I guess I forget how fun it is to press a button and have my speed limited.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:35 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many of us have to decide how much $$$ we are willing to risk in case of a track incident. I for one am skittish now, at the current GT-3 cost level. Thinking about risking $200 plus is beyond my personal tolerance. That is the reason I sold my 4.0. it became to valuable to run on track. Allan
Old 01-22-2015, 09:40 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
I guess I forget how fun it is to press a button and have my speed limited.
My track uses pits in open lapping for timing releases - the pit lane function is also moving launch control. Safe entry to the track once a marshall gives you the go involves getting up to speed as quickly as possible then getting on line. That's just one example of how this could actually be useful.

Not found a use for regular launch control frankly, could see it in a race, but have a different car for that...

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread