Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 08:22 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 115 Likes on 57 Posts

One thing is for sure, it leaves the airwaves buzzing! 😃😃I agree that it sounds unlikely to "start in the wrong end" with the RS. And then if I understood Hatz right that they will use that engine in the carrera /s .2 turbos

A few things that supports this:

1. Quote from Hatz "significant step up from 1gt3 bigger than previous models" to me sounds like a step from 7.1gt3 to 7.2rs

2. The expected big price increase!

I guess we just have to wait and see! Can't wait😉
Old 01-21-2015, 08:35 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
IF the RS comes w/ an "all new/different" engine, how many of us would be willing to own a 991 gt3 past its warranty period???

So two engines caught fire, big deal, that's what I say. If these two engines caught fire 20/30 years ago, with the lack of media as compared in todays time, no one would of heard about it and this engine would go down in history along with this version of GT3 as one of the best ever. Case closed.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:38 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
One thing is for sure, it leaves the airwaves buzzing! 😃😃I agree that it sounds unlikely to "start in the wrong end" with the RS. And then if I understood Hatz right that they will use that engine in the carrera /s .2 turbos

A few things that supports this:

1. Quote from Hatz "significant step up from 1gt3 bigger than previous models" to me sounds like a step from 7.1gt3 to 7.2rs

2. The expected big price increase!

I guess we just have to wait and see! Can't wait😉
Both of these have been discussed by PAG/AP or provided by sources since March 2013. None of these are new. The only new thing in the equation is Hatz is now speaking on behalf of GT product instead of AP! Frankly AP did a better job of it.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:01 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 199 Posts

Curious, did PAG describe the 997.2 4.0 as a completely new engine? I don't recall they did.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:07 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
^ Let's also keep in mind that the RS is much more expensive, beyond what many would spend on a DD or track car even if they have the means. If the RS doesn't offer a much better experience than the GT3, regardless of components, existence of the RS will tend to keep the value of the GT3 up. I can't see people ponying up another ~$50K mainly to get the 'new' RS engine when the engine in the GT3 is already getting rave reviews (the few engine fires will be forgetten; if anything they give me added confidence that Porsche scrutinized the hell out of this engine).

Ultimately, I think the depreciation of the GT3 will depend on supply and demand. Demand will be influenced future cars that rival it and their prices (eg, 991.2 GT3), and currently the GT3 has no strong competitor at its price point, as demonstrated by numerous reviews and comparos. And we already know that supply of the 991.1 GT3 is quite limited, with allocations all gone at this point.

And as noted, if you love the car and plan to keep for a long time, depreciation tends not to matter much. I'm not in favor of throwing money away, but if someone can't afford the depreciation, maybe a good idea to question whether they can afford the car.
Exactly.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:37 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

They must be amused in Stuttgart! With all this speculation! LoL
Old 01-21-2015, 09:51 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Which is why no one desires a car with almost any previous generation of Porsche engine which is past the warranty period.....oh wait....that's not true.
yes very true, however, the counterpoint is how many of those cars had a 2yr model life with engine capable of 9k rpm? I guess the mkt will speak but I would be slightly nervous.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:54 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Here are the facelifted 911 and 911S.
The non S still has the goofy tail pipes.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2016-po...-models-coming

So the RS could be the first with this engine sans Turbo's, sans face lift.
so 2016 S will have more power than the 2015 Turbo?
i'm still not getting it.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:56 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
Curious, did PAG describe the 997.2 4.0 as a completely new engine? I don't recall they did.
Respectfully, that's the wrong comparison.

They did, however, say that the 991 GT3 engine was "completely new" compared to the 997 GT3 and in the same way and for the same reasons, the 991 GT3RS will be "completely new" compared to the 997 RS.

That's my take anyway. As Macca so perfectly put it, I may end up eating my hat as well, hopefully with a good beer chaser. I continue to think, though, that too much credence with too little skepticism is being placed on a few quotes from an interview.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:57 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

so 2016 S will have more power than the 2015 Turbo?
i'm still not getting it.
There's just no way the 991.2 C2S will have more power than the 991.1 Turbo. It's just not Porsche's style to do that. Unless they announce the 991.2 Turbo to have 600hp at the same time they announce the dramatically powered 991.2 C2S... which is still unlikely (but not impossible).
Old 01-21-2015, 10:01 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

I guess people believe what they want to believe. I'm not quite sure why the "hat eaters" are so hesitant in this case. Perhaps because I don't see it meaning too much either way.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:05 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
So the 991 GT3 RS (Motorsport for the road halo car and extreme version of the GT3) , the car that follows the lineage of the 991 GT3 which had an embarrassing not to expensive $100MM recall is the first car of the block with an entirely new engine which has yet to see volume/series production........................

Not on your nelly!

The engine will be the 991 GT3 engine. The changes here will be the basis for the "new engine" which in typical PAG marketing parlance will be an evolution of the prior unit with some possible changes beyond the 991 GT3/RS specification for the main series cars which are having hair dryers bolted on and will be of different capacities, different compression ratios and use different red lines and this valve trains/cams etc. Some part numbers may change on a few parts, some parts may be redesigned and there may even be a few new parts but when was the GT3 engine any guise ever more than 50% related to the base car engines? Not since the 993 it wasnt.

We are talking wildly different remits between a GT3/RS engine and a standard 991S engine let alone between a new gen turbo charged 991.2S engine of potentially lower capacity, higher compression and slightly lower max RPM

Call me skeptic but I dont believe PAG will launch the 991 GT3 RS with an uknown engine quantity, unproven with no providence regardless what benchto;p testing they have been doing in the motorsports department. 960 may become the new race platform and GT3 may become a marketing moniker based on production cars perhaps but surely Im not the only one thinking this all sounds rather ridiculous.

I may end up eating my hat but Im still convinced the 991 Gt3 and RS share almost identical architecture other than the obvious capacity increase. Is the 991 GT3RS 4.0L engine a totally different engine form the 991 GT3 or 997.2 4.0RS (mezger) - hell yes - in PAG marketing speak the new engine is "entirely new"! Just check out past marketing examples from 964/993, 996/996.2, 996/997 generations. 911/boxster engine since 1996/7 until 2009 (13 years) have fundamentally been the evolution of a similar design not a revolution as they were between 993 & 996 generations.

I think something have been lost in translation or has been thrown out there to keep the airwaves buzzing. But then again, I could be wrong. Mike CA I believe has it right - PAG have not deviated from plan since APs initial interviews with the 991 GT3 in March 2013. They already have their plan and we will be towed along with it :-P
Great post. Some very funny speculation, most hear what they want(like their 997 GT3 will only appreciate and is the best 911, nothing but mezger, blah blah). I am glad I sold my 997 GT3 and 3.8 RS as they would never get driven, with my 991 GT3 in the garage its that much better.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

yes very true, however, the counterpoint is how many of those cars had a 2yr model life with engine capable of 9k rpm? I guess the mkt will speak but I would be slightly nervous.
Assuming everything some are deducing from a few comments is true, that's a fair comeback. OTOH, maybe the 2014-15's are Porsche's last true low volume model specific engines, before going to a design that will be even more modular and appear in different forms across all model lines.

Either way, I'm not nervous. Gonna own this car a long time.....

Originally Posted by Petevb
I guess people believe what they want to believe. I'm not quite sure why the "hat eaters" are so hesitant in this case. Perhaps because I don't see it meaning too much either way.
I guess because other than a very few reported and repeated comments, there are no other facts. I'm hesitant because, to "believe" what's being suggested, I'd have to reach conclusions based on very little information. So I remain skeptical.

We've been at this now for 1 year and 246 pages and still haven't resolved a damn thing. I'm ready to sit back, wait for Geneva, and start marinating my hat just in case....

Last edited by Mike in CA; 01-21-2015 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:18 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Respectfully, that's the wrong comparison.
I don't see how it's the wrong comparison. On the 997 models, I don't recall talk of "completely new" engines between the regular GT3 and the RS nor during the displacement change associated with the 4.0 release, which is very similar to what everyone is expecting on this RS. I don't have a dog in the fight really because I'm not invested financially. I'm intrigued though and concerned at how this could be short changing long term support of the 991 GT3 owners. If this is the case, it's concerning to me as I look towards purchasing another GT variant in the future. I want to know that when I buy a track car that there will be replacement parts available if I need them.

That said, I speculate that Porsche has no choice to make a change due to emissions regulations. I totally get the skeptics position that the "completely new engine" could be a lost in translation and blown out of proportion. The thing that I'm hung on is the remainder of the discussion saying that this motor will be the basis for the broader range of vehicles. Since the 9A1 is already among all the sports cars, I think this signals an actual completely new engine because I don't see them putting 9A1s in panameras, cayennes or macans.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:23 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by Petevb
^ This No matter what happens we are all pretty lucky! Feeling very fortunate to be a part of this gt3 community. As long as I don't have to eat my hatdde04dde04dde09

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread