Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 03:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by markow
the message is clear, PAG wants to distance itself from the 991 GT3 engine disaster. it could be a marketing
issue or a serious engineering one, no one knows (probably a mixture of both). at this point i would not buy a 991 GT3, the value could drop dead after the new-engine-991-RS release.
peter
If one has read the excellent posts from Petevb and Polesitter it's clear the above is not the message at all, and the chances of 991 GT3 values dropping because a revised engine ends up in a $180K+ RS are zero.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:55 PM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
If one has read the excellent posts from Petevb and Polesitter it's clear the above is not the message at all, and the chances of 991 GT3 values dropping because a revised engine ends up in a $180K+ RS are zero.
I don't think that's true at all... Even if Petevb was correct and the engine is an evolutionary design, the very fact that the marketing spin suggest otherwise is potentially problematic.

Most GT3 buyers will have been aware of the engine malfunctions. If the marketing around the RS is that it has a completely new engine as it appears it will be so far then that will imply that Porsche is moving on from the GT3 engine and people will conclude from that that it was a flawed and then orphaned design.

I think there's a lot of owners here who are 'talking their book'. Owners that are deeply invested and want to believe that there (1) isn't a completely new engine in the RS and (2) that there isn't going to be any resale impact from the engine issues... that they were compensated for.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:58 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
I don't think that's true at all... Even if Petevb was correct and the engine is an evolutionary design, the very fact that the marketing spin suggest otherwise is potentially problematic. Most GT3 buyers will have been aware of the engine malfunctions. If the marketing around the RS is that it has a completely new engine as it appears it will be so far then that will imply that Porsche is moving on from the GT3 engine and people will conclude from that that it was a flawed and then orphaned design. I think there's a lot of owners here who are 'talking their book'. Owners that are deeply invested and want to believe that there (1) isn't a completely new engine in the RS and (2) that there isn't going to be any resale impact from the engine issues... that they were compensated for.
If the 1rs comes out with a new race bred engine, it will most definitely hurt the 1.3 value, BUT it still doesn't take anything away from it being a great car!!!!!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:03 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I guess you've never driven a manual gearbox car then. Don't know how you could think it is exciting.
2011 GT3 was my last car to drive before this. And its not even close. My 1966 912 came close to the excitement levels for very different reasons, I would put it closer than the 2011 GT3, but still not there. Have driven other "exciting" stuff too, including Winston Cup Cars, Formula Vee, etc. on track for DE, etc.. Still say this is the most exciting car that I have driven. Combination engine/tranny/handling/braking, just nuts. But I guess we are a bit off topic...
Old 01-22-2015, 04:04 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I guess you've never driven a manual gearbox car then. Don't know how you could think it is exciting.
well, i dont think its mutually exclusive and dont want to get into the stick vs PDK debate but As an owner of a 997 gt3 the new 991 gt3 is VERY exciting. Hard to explain but like it A LOT.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:05 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
If the 1rs comes out with a new race bred engine, it will most definitely hurt the 1.3 value, BUT it still doesn't take anything away from it being a great car!!!!!
The 1.3 value will hold value better than the other 991s, other than the RS. It's also the most fun to drive, again other than the RS. The amount is speculation, but I don't see any other alternatives in the price range even if it drops by 40k in the first year, it's been worth buying to me.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:07 PM
kosmo
Race Director

its possible that RS values rise and Gt3 stays flat.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:10 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

This has become like the F1 thread on ferrarichat...no news so let's just make **** up

Carry on....
Old 01-22-2015, 04:15 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 99 Posts

Whatever they eventually replace the mezger with in their motorsport program, they need have longer service intervals to control costs.....aka, part of the reason you see so many Audi R8 LMS cars being raced all over the world. In addition to being a great platform, their "race" V10 rebuild interval is WAY longer than a Cup/GT America for customer based racing.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:25 PM
kosmo
Race Director

nearly 250pages and 64 more days until Geneva. Whats the over-under, 300pages???
Old 01-22-2015, 04:25 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WSH
This has become like the F1 thread on ferrarichat...no news so let's just make **** up Carry on....
+1
Old 01-22-2015, 04:26 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
I don't think that's true at all... Even if Petevb was correct and the engine is an evolutionary design, the very fact that the marketing spin suggest otherwise is potentially problematic.

Most GT3 buyers will have been aware of the engine malfunctions. If the marketing around the RS is that it has a completely new engine as it appears it will be so far then that will imply that Porsche is moving on from the GT3 engine and people will conclude from that that it was a flawed and then orphaned design.

I think there's a lot of owners here who are 'talking their book'. Owners that are deeply invested and want to believe that there (1) isn't a completely new engine in the RS and (2) that there isn't going to be any resale impact from the engine issues... that they were compensated for.
Well you said it better than I did. It does not change the car materially as others have said, but it would change the perception of the car negatively.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:27 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
my guess is most of the 991 RS customers already own a 991 GT3. and they will be trading in their 991 GT3s when the RS arrives. in this case if 700 come to the states and half of those are upgrades from the regular 991 GT3 then you will all of a sudden have 350 extra 1-2-3 year old 991 GT3's on the market. That will hurt the value way more than any engine speculation.. anyone who races/tracks a 991 GT3 now is secretly dying inside to be the first to blow the replaced/revised engines. They are beating the **** out of this car on the track and no engines have blown since the fiasco. ZERO so no matter what engine ends up in the RS i don't think people are going to talk negatively about the 991 GT3 motor. its a beauty, its fast, fun, high revving, NON TURBO, and and can take a pounding. just my .02, and i dont know much
+1
Old 01-22-2015, 04:28 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by markow
the message is clear, PAG wants to distance itself from the 991 GT3 engine disaster. it could be a marketing issue or a serious engineering one, no one knows (probably a mixture of both). at this point i would not buy a 991 GT3, the value could drop dead after the new-engine-991-RS release. peter
Peter. Have to disagree to some degree in this one I'm afraid. They are the same engine as we will learn shortly but even if they were not I would have to favour the 991 GT3 which as been under intense scrutiny and quite a lot of amateur track use over the last 12 months to an unknown quantity of an engine "totally new" which has zero customer testing on or off track and no motorsports providence at all yet. The 991 GT3 engine is now probably the most tested production engine porsche have made for the last few decades. People like myself, sam, max, Philip in Europe etc have been trying to murder this engine for 14 months now and wether it was the original of the replacement apart from a bit of oil use on track it's so far been unburstable.

I have a hunch the 991 Gt3 will become an epic star in the residuals stakes medium and long term. I almost will certainly not benefit from that as I always seem to sell my cars before they become collectors pieces but I think the 991 GT3 and subsequent RS will do well in the future.

The engine is the same basically .... Or did I say that already.... Lol
Old 01-22-2015, 04:30 PM
HGM 10
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys i just received a call from my dealership saying that the 991 GT3 RS will start production on june. Im on the list.
Drive safe.

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread