Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 09:41 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by allans
Many of us have to decide how much $$$ we are willing to risk in case of a track incident. I for one am skittish now, at the current GT-3 cost level. Thinking about risking $200 plus is beyond my personal tolerance. That is the reason I sold my 4.0. it became to valuable to run on track. Allan
It's a balance between your ability to not go over the limit and not being around those that do. A lot has to do with the type of track day you do... private
versus other crowded track day HPDE events.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:55 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
It's a balance between your ability to not go over the limit and not being around those that do. A lot has to do with the type of track day you do... private
versus other crowded track day HPDE events.
The problem is none of us can control 'random'.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:18 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 955 Posts

I see we're back to the illusion of control at track days topic...

Or then there's the beloved antifreeze dump....

Old 01-22-2015, 10:29 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Many of us have to decide how much $$$ we are willing to risk in case of a track incident. I for one am skittish now, at the current GT-3 cost level. Thinking about risking $200 plus is beyond my personal tolerance. That is the reason I sold my 4.0. it became to valuable to run on track. Allan
+1 on the 4.0! No fun to drive when you think about consequences all the time! Mine is retired for street driving. But some of my friends still go flat out at track with them! My write off limit is not that high!
Old 01-22-2015, 11:31 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
1. Give it 6 more months. Flood of 991 GT3s has only recently begun hitting the streets. And not many have showed up at the track yet, but they will in 2015.

2. Some do, but I agree that most don't.

3. Agree, but I still think the buyer of the RS will be significantly more well heeled, on average.
3. On this point, I think that you are right on the more well heeled part...

its old data now, but i want to say that the average income and age of a 2007-2008 GT3 buyer was $400,000/year and 45. That income was a lot lower then what I expected. Its not a comment on what is a very healthy income, its more of a comment about what I expected for a $100k+ sports car (and not daily driver). Now, that was 7 years ago... so undoubtedly higher now. But I think your point is correct that the graph isn't linear... I think that an RS buyer probably has a higher income/net worth than a GT3 buyer, on average..., even though the price difference may only be $50k...
Old 01-23-2015, 03:26 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I feel much the same way.

All up, I have about $165K invested in my GT3. As much as I would enjoy tracking it, at that price level, I'm not willing to take the risk of a track incident, which is why I autocross. I don't have room for a less expensive track car and a really nice sports car for the road so I had to make a choice and chose the latter. I realize I might never extract the full potential from the GT3, but I still get massive enjoyment from owning it and driving it the way I do, so I can live with that.

It goes without saying that risking a $200K+ RS on track would be even further outside my comfort zone and less practical for the road. For that reason, the RS was never on my radar.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:39 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am confused as to where the RS fits in.

The consensus seems to be that it will not be good daily use road car. Rather more extreme and mainly for track use.

I agree with most that at RS price point I would not feel comfortable taking a risk at track. Same problem I have with my 458 which is a great track car (took it 8 times) but it is really too expensive to track. I will only take it to ferrari club track days now.

I don't even feel great tracking my 991 gt3 at its price point but will nonetheless be using it now as my regular track car and semi-daily too (today will be the third track day with it in first month).

So where does the RS fit in? Street car? Not great. Track car? Too expensive plus if you want to go faster you could get a cheaper race car (not street legal) for track only use.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:04 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I feel much the same way.

All up, I have about $165K invested in my GT3. As much as I would enjoy tracking it, at that price level, I'm not willing to take the risk of a track incident, which is why I autocross. I don't have room for a less expensive track car and a really nice sports car for the road so I had to make a choice and chose the latter. I realize I might never extract the full potential from the GT3, but I still get massive enjoyment from owning it and driving it the way I do, so I can live with that.

It goes without saying that risking a $200K+ RS on track would be even further outside my comfort zone and less practical for the road. For that reason, the RS was never on my radar.
I feel the same way, but keep in mind that risk depends on risk exposure. Chance of wrecking the car on track is roughly proportional to how often you go to the track (and other factors, like the track, club you're going with, run group, your own driving, etc.). For an average driver, the chance of wrecking the car by going to the track a few days a year would be quite low, and IMO people shouldn't be overly deterred from giving it a try just because they saw something scary in a video or read something in a forum.

Financial risk can also be mitigated by getting track insurance. For a car this expensive, the insurance will also be expensive (and there may be a cap on the available coverage), but that cost is also proportional to how often you go to the track.

So I'd encourage everyone to track the car at least once. Beyond the fun, it will also give a better sense of the car's limits, and its behavior as the limits are approached, than can be obtained on the road. That can result in more enjoyment and safety when driving it on the road (I've tracked all of my current cars, including sedan and SUV, for that purpose). Autox is good too, but the lower speeds and limited seat time make it a different experience than going to the track.

All of that said, since I'll likely be tracking the car fairly often, the regular GT3 is already stretching what I was willing to spend on a track car, and the RS is too much. But I wanted a factory Porsche built for the track, ideally with track warranty, which I can drive to the track, and I'm a big 911 fan, so GT3 it is and I'll just have to deal with the cost.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:17 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aamersa

The consensus seems to be that it will not be good daily use road car. Rather more extreme and mainly for track use.

I agree with most that at RS price point I would not feel comfortable taking a risk at track. Same problem I have with my 458 which is a great track car (took it 8 times) but it is really too expensive to track. I will only take it to ferrari club track days now.

I don't even feel great tracking my 991 gt3 at its price point but will nonetheless be using it now as my regular track car and semi-daily too (today will be the third track day with it in first month).

So where does the RS fit in? Street car? Not great. Track car? Too expensive plus if you want to go faster you could get a cheaper race car (not street legal) for track only use.
Completely agree. Now, for the extremely wealthy (918 owners) that explains their use. But for the rest, it's an interesting buy for sure. Something , unless it's really more DD compatible, I see no reason having. The GT3 is the best of all worlds IMHO
Old 01-23-2015, 10:31 AM
gt3rs.
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

If you buy an rs and dont track it i think you buy it for wrong reason!
It is not a street car only!
Old 01-23-2015, 10:45 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Isn't the GT3 RS supposed to be a track car that you can drive on the street and
the GT3 a street car you can drive on the track?
Old 01-23-2015, 10:55 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

When I track the GT3 I'll buy insurance for the weekend.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:02 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Based on an earlier quote, It'll cost me about $800 a year to add the RS to my track policy and increase the limit to $195k. The reduced depreciation vs the GT3 more than covers it.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:17 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa

My take on the RS is that it will fit a broad band of customers as always, however I think the majority will be those who want a limited build as a secondary vehicle to have in the garage.
Something that is really interesting yet able to be used any day of the week or for long distance. Something that can indeed be taken to the track in stock trim a couple of times a year (at the most) with the abilty to lay down good lap times without all the fuss, mods or related items of a track rat car. Stock and Simple.

Most 991RS will remain stock IMHO. Very few will add track wheels and even fewer will touch the suspension.

We will not see the 991RS on the track sceen like we did the 997RS series... I think those days are over.
Funny because the 991RS is the most capable RS to date.

I can see the GT4 becoming the next track rat however.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:19 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
Isn't the GT3 RS supposed to be a track car that you can drive on the street and
the GT3 a street car you can drive on the track?
+1

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread