Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 01:53 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Porsche maintains a certain mix .... daily drive-ability...design and tradition....exclusivity... breadth of ability...

... Porsche is going to charge us exactly as much as we're willing to pay.
Originally Posted by virage
I happen to think that the 911 carries a unique design, packaging and driving experience....

alternatives are irrelevant...
If you want to know how Porsche can make over 50% gross margin on some 911s, re-read the above.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:55 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by oc997
Will this be last NA RS before it goes turbo???
In most racing series they require homologation of the cylinder heads from a street car. I would hazard a guess that if a future 991RSR is required to be normally aspirated, then it follows there will be a normally aspirated RS. Any NA engine running a low-compression cylinder head from a turbo would not be very competitive?
Old 01-20-2015, 02:03 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
In most racing series they require homologation of the cylinder heads from a street car. I would hazard a guess that if a future 991RSR is required to be normally aspirated, then it follows there will be a normally aspirated RS. Any NA engine running a low-compression cylinder head from a turbo would not be very competitive?
I would put money on the FIA changing the rules for WEC GT class in the very near-term to require hybrids or turbos. It's a European governing body - seems like a very obvious step.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:16 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I would put money on the FIA changing the rules for WEC GT class in the very near-term to require hybrids or turbos. It's a European governing body - seems like a very obvious step.
The FIA LM-GTE rules already allow turbochargers, they just have to be unmodified(?) from the street cars. The question is can Porsche produce a competitive race car under the rules based on those turbos? They've been sticking with a NA engine up until now, so probably not?
Old 01-20-2015, 02:16 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,937 Likes on 2,796 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Lotus?
I think we only get the Evora in the US and the Toyota V6 is not much of a revver (and supercharged in S), but you picked the closest example, I think.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:33 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
If we're going to accept the new style 991's with all the new tech you might as well go AMG.
Although I think AMG GT pricing isn't out yet, with a similar pricing to a 991TT, I'd take the AMG maybe even over a 991GT3 if I didn't track (much).
I tried this. Thinking I was the perfect candidate for an AMG, since I drive on street weekend for fun only. So I went and purchased a brand new C63 AMG Black Series with all the goodies. It was awesome. Sort of a parts bin car with bits from the SLS and other high performance models. Coilover suspension, special composite brakes, fast shifting double clutch tranny, etc. And of course a special/different version of the 6.3 liter V8. RIDICULOUS in terms of the amount of torque and hp. Such a big engine, naturally aspirated, linear delivery, etc. Made me giggle like a little girl for a while. But in the end, was really just another muscle car like a Z28. Big power, no grip in the back. Slide around. I missed Porsche. The direct feel, the razor sharp handling, the zingy high revving engines. There is nothing quite like a 911. The dynamics are just different. And there is more experience packed into the steering, handling, braking, tranny, engine, etc.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:08 PM
Four Liter
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny , but for many years I watch various makes and models come and go and while there might a flash in the pan once in a while there is nothing like a 911 . Always have a smile on my face and a tingle down my spine looking out the windshield thinking about how many drivers had that view on their way to so many major race victories. I've lamented the increasing complexity of all modern cars and hate to admit it , but think all the interiors post 964 look overdone and the cars themselves seem way too big , but the safety and emissions regs saw to that . Of anything out there I think Porsche has done a good job of keeping a link to the past at least with the GT cars .
Old 01-20-2015, 03:11 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,831 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by virage
And special versions like GT3RS will continue to carry that link to motorsport that many covet.
Not so much at the moment, but hoping we get back there....

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
.....the zingy high revving engines.
Tick tock.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:41 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,626 Likes on 754 Posts

I tried this. Thinking I was the perfect candidate for an AMG, since I drive on street weekend for fun only. So I went and purchased a brand new C63 AMG Black Series with all the goodies. It was awesome. Sort of a parts bin car with bits from the SLS and other high performance models. Coilover suspension, special composite brakes, fast shifting double clutch tranny, etc. And of course a special/different version of the 6.3 liter V8. RIDICULOUS in terms of the amount of torque and hp. Such a big engine, naturally aspirated, linear delivery, etc. Made me giggle like a little girl for a while. But in the end, was really just another muscle car like a Z28. Big power, no grip in the back. Slide around. I missed Porsche. The direct feel, the razor sharp handling, the zingy high revving engines. There is nothing quite like a 911. The dynamics are just different. And there is more experience packed into the steering, handling, braking, tranny, engine, etc.
Hmm, OK something to think about. I was hugely impressed with the C63 coupe, special the giant interior space for tall people. I do think that the AMG GTS took it to the next level. But yeah, I hear what you are saying. I do have the RSAmerica for very analog track day driving..
Old 01-20-2015, 03:45 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Hmm, OK something to think about. I was hugely impressed with the C63 coupe, special the giant interior space for tall people. I do think that the AMG GTS took it to the next level. But yeah, I hear what you are saying. I do have the RSAmerica for very analog track day driving..
did you drive the black series? or just the standard c63 coupe? nothing wrong with the latter, but to use the analogy, difference between the gt3 standard vs the RS model... just a bit more raw, special, etc. If I was a kajillionaire and could have lots of toy cars, I would have kept it. The engine alone in that car was so special. But given the choice, I came back to Porsche.

The SLS Black Series would be the one to have. But at $300k+, lots of very good competition in that category...
Old 01-20-2015, 04:33 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

You want the C63 507
Old 01-20-2015, 05:18 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by neanicu
You want the C63 507
Not enough difference over the regular c63. Black Series is where it's at for the AMG models
Old 01-20-2015, 05:27 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,626 Likes on 754 Posts

did you drive the black series? or just the standard c63 coupe? nothing wrong with the latter, but to use the analogy, difference between the gt3 standard vs the RS model... just a bit more raw, special, etc. If I was a kajillionaire and could have lots of toy cars, I would have kept it. The engine alone in that car was so special. But given the choice, I came back to Porsche.

The SLS Black Series would be the one to have. But at $300k+, lots of very good competition in that category...
Just the regular one, Id go for a CPO one like I have all my MB's except the 500E obviously. I really don't like the SLS, too big, too heavy for track I think. That's why I think they may have struck a nice balance in the AMG GTS.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:40 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

More fuel for the engine speculation fire (perhaps a poor choice of words?):
Originally Posted by Motorsport Magazine
This will be a game-changing year for Porsche’s most iconic nameplate and the first clue to it will come at the Geneva Motor Show in March when Porsche will reveal the delayed RS version of the GT3. Hatz says it is a far more extreme car than its predecessor and that, contrary to speculation, will most definitely be normally aspirated. But, and this is big news, it will have a brand new engine related to neither the old race-derived engines used in previous GT3 and GT2 models, nor the motor in the current GT3. Would Porsche design a whole new engine for one niche product? It would not. In fact this is just its first application: this September it will go into every 911 in turbocharged form. You read that right: by this autumn, every single non-Motorsport 911 from the cheapest Carrera upwards will be turbocharged.
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/ro...-future-plans/
Old 01-20-2015, 07:43 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 124 Likes on 58 Posts

C63 is one the best Autobahn cars I've ever driven! Have had a lot of nice drives from Hamburg to Munich. Comfortable, great sound, fast, and reasonably good brakes for road use! Only down side is mpg. But that's not really that important!

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread