Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 991 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2023 | 09:40 PM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Clabby
Buy the color you really want over an "acceptable" option, IMO. I waited a few months for the right color and spec, and I'm really really happy I did.

Also definitely agree with CubsFan on the seats, the buckets make the drive feel like more of an experience. If you have back issues make sure you test them out before buying.

Have you driven either a manual GT3 or an RS? I drove a 991.1 GT3RS thinking it'd be "more" than the GT3 but if anything it was less interesting due to the lack of stick. The manual 991.2 GT3 I ended up buying is the most fun weekend car I've found.
Thanks for the feedback. I've only ever driven a 997 GT3 a few years back (In manual). I've been doing a lot of research the last few days, and definitely see the the manual 991.2 GT3 is in the same price range as the .1 GT3 RSs. When I was 16 I bought a automatic Eagle Talon (Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX AWD), and regretted the automatic so much, I ended up converting it to manual myself a few years later. That being said, it seems a lot of reviewers say the PDK actually has shorter gears, and makes a more engaging transmission on the street since you can shift through the gears, where as the manual to run to 9k rpm, you're instantly breaking the speed limit dangerously? True?

Likewise, I take back my comment on the Lava Red. I saw another Porsche in Lava red, and it's my favorite color now. I am going to go see the GT3 RS hopefully in person soon, and see how it feels in person. In internet land the "GT3 RS" just feels so much more special. The colors, the vents, the spoiler. It makes the car feel more special. I like special for the emotional side.

The manual vs pdk is definitely now weighing on me given the price of .1 GT3 RS vs .2 Manuals. I do feel like long term too the GT3 RS will hold value. The whole thing is crazy to me to spend this amount of money, since I grew up poor lol.

Thanks for the inputs.
Old 09-01-2023 | 01:29 AM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Hay Indy, gotta love the Eagle Talon mention. Prior to the 991 all GT vehicles were only equipped with a manual. When the 991.1 GT generation came out it was only available in PDK, a significant shift for Porsche and many core enthusiasts weren’t happy. Same can be said when they launched the 991.1 GT3RS. However, as Porsche is known to do, they built the 911R, essentially a 991.1RS with no wing and a manual, and they are numbered and limited. These were hard to get unless you were a VIP or had some pull at a dealer. This remains a highly coveted car. When they launched the 991.2 GT3 Porsche made a manual transmission available again. In addition, they launched a GT3 touring edition that was only available in manual and no wing. Oh and Porsche built the Speedster, a GT3 convertible only available in manual. Porsche carried forward with a manual option in the 992 generation, and now you can order a touring with a PDK. It’s like the field of dreams with these cars…you know the rest. Anyhow, try to drive both and see which hits you in the gut. IMHO, it doesn’t need to be a vs. battle with manual and PDK, just buy what makes you happy.

Some of your questions - you’ll be over the limit in any transmission if you floor it. It’s astonishing how quick a 500HP GT car feels at the upper rev range. It’s really a sweet sport for grip, performance, control and speed. I think you mean Lava Orange. Although in some pics it definitely looks red. Funny to read all the legacy comments on the color, almost like the manual vs. PDK. Is the RS more special, don’t let the reviews sway you. Follow your gut it’s your money. Regarding the parts you mention, they do serve a purpose. Maybe doesn’t come across that way if it’s only driven to C&C. But the front and rear track, suspension, wing, lighter parts, etc., that’s core to the RS. Is that important, up to the buyer. Finally, price and value, try not to let that drive your decision. Follow your instincts and anticipate depreciation.

Enjoy the search.

Old 09-01-2023 | 02:10 AM
unluckydrawer
Advanced

Originally Posted by Indyxc
Thanks for the feedback. I've only ever driven a 997 GT3 a few years back (In manual). I've been doing a lot of research the last few days, and definitely see the the manual 991.2 GT3 is in the same price range as the .1 GT3 RSs. When I was 16 I bought a automatic Eagle Talon (Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX AWD), and regretted the automatic so much, I ended up converting it to manual myself a few years later. That being said, it seems a lot of reviewers say the PDK actually has shorter gears, and makes a more engaging transmission on the street since you can shift through the gears, where as the manual to run to 9k rpm, you're instantly breaking the speed limit dangerously? True?

Likewise, I take back my comment on the Lava Red. I saw another Porsche in Lava red, and it's my favorite color now. I am going to go see the GT3 RS hopefully in person soon, and see how it feels in person. In internet land the "GT3 RS" just feels so much more special. The colors, the vents, the spoiler. It makes the car feel more special. I like special for the emotional side.

The manual vs pdk is definitely now weighing on me given the price of .1 GT3 RS vs .2 Manuals. I do feel like long term too the GT3 RS will hold value. The whole thing is crazy to me to spend this amount of money, since I grew up poor lol.

Thanks for the inputs.
I want to feel special in my cars. Unfortunately, in my area, GT3s are a dime a dozen whether .1 or .2, especially white ones. They are visually identical other than rear tail lights and front bumper. I dunno exact current pricing, but you can probably get a 458 italia for similar money. I don't want to be associated with nor confused for the plebs in their white 80k mile 2014s even if it's just my daily to pick up food at the drive through. So it'd have to be RS--for the visual flair and all the race inspired components.

It is what it is. I know it's completely different from the subtle-gentleman-old school-true enthusiast crowd who enjoy the tourings/etc. But that kind of advice, while I'm sure is heartfelt and genuine, we've heard millions of times already, so just my honest thoughts at the other end of the spectrum.
Old 09-01-2023 | 08:07 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by unluckydrawer
I want to feel special in my cars. Unfortunately, in my area, GT3s are a dime a dozen whether .1 or .2, especially white ones. They are visually identical other than rear tail lights and front bumper. I dunno exact current pricing, but you can probably get a 458 italia for similar money. I don't want to be associated with nor confused for the plebs in their white 80k mile 2014s even if it's just my daily to pick up food at the drive through. So it'd have to be RS--for the visual flair and all the race inspired components.

It is what it is. I know it's completely different from the subtle-gentleman-old school-true enthusiast crowd who enjoy the tourings/etc. But that kind of advice, while I'm sure is heartfelt and genuine, we've heard millions of times already, so just my honest thoughts at the other end of the spectrum.
Ironically, the Tourings are far more rare than GT3RS's, but I get your point. Aesthetics play a big part of these things. I love the way the Touring looks and it's not because it's a sleeper. I just think the lines are super clean. That said, I get some people want a more extroverted looking car.

One counterpoint though - I don't think the GT3RS is special looking enough to really elevate it much above the vanilla GT3. It's still a 911 at the end of the day. I think it would be better to look to the Italians or McLaren for real visual drama.
The following users liked this post:
unluckydrawer (09-01-2023)
Old 09-01-2023 | 08:55 AM
Rod27
Burning Brakes

I don't want to be associated with nor confused for the plebs in their white 80k mile 2014s even if it's just my daily to pick up food at the drive through.
Did you just say that?!?!? Just get a hummer and paint it lizard green to pull a lizard green RS for all the attention you NEED.

Last edited by Rod27; 09-01-2023 at 09:37 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Rod27:
911frostys (09-01-2023), 9914s (09-01-2023), Manifold (09-01-2023), sdm100 (09-02-2023)
Old 09-01-2023 | 09:34 AM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

I don't want to be associated with nor confused for the plebs in their white 80k mile 2014s even if it's just my daily to pick up food at the drive through. So it'd have to be RS--for the visual flair and all the race inspired components.
Pretty great feedback. It's true, if you live in an exotic car market, you pretty much need the RS to get attn. from anyone other than car dudes.

Superficial attn. not my thing, would like to have a disguise on hand for those occasions. But have had some fun exchanges with Starbucks drive through girls (only, interestingly...) and kids climbing in and getting harnessed up. Enjoy watching them go from keeping a respectful distance to realizing they're clear to climb in, get some racecar impressions.
unluckydrawer (09-01-2023)
Old 09-01-2023 | 10:17 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by ParadiseGT3
Pretty great feedback. It's true, if you live in an exotic car market, you pretty much need the RS to get attn. from anyone other than car dudes.

Superficial attn. not my thing, would like to have a disguise on hand for those occasions. But have had some fun exchanges with Starbucks drive through girls (only, interestingly...) and kids climbing in and getting harnessed up. Enjoy watching them go from keeping a respectful distance to realizing they're clear to climb in, get some racecar impressions.
I always open up my cars at C&C and encourage people to sit in them, especially kids.
The following 4 users liked this post by Manifold:
fijibubba (09-01-2023), hjz (09-01-2023), ParadiseGT3 (09-01-2023), unluckydrawer (09-01-2023)
Old 09-01-2023 | 10:18 AM
John Clabby
Advanced

Thanks for the inputs.
I don't know the specific difference in gear ratio, but they feel about the same to me. In either car you're going to be breaking the speed limit by the time you rev out 2nd. My manual .2 does 75 or so in 2nd IIRC. I have fun driving the twisty backgrounds shifting between 2nd and 3rd, no need to wail it to redline on the street unless you're really going for it. For me the stick was a big factor in making it fun even when driving slow, and the PDK was only good when doing speeds dangerous for the street. The manual also has a more simple old school diff that has a hint of a clunk/whine like a racecar diff around town.

If you read Rennlist long enough you'll find every justification for superiority and opinion under the sun. Before you pull the trigger either way I'd definitely spend the time driving both, ideally with the same seats to equalize.
Old 09-01-2023 | 06:56 PM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CubsFan1
Hay Indy, gotta love the Eagle Talon mention. Prior to the 991 all GT vehicles were only equipped with a manual. When the 991.1 GT generation came out it was only available in PDK, a significant shift for Porsche and many core enthusiasts weren’t happy. Same can be said when they launched the 991.1 GT3RS. However, as Porsche is known to do, they built the 911R, essentially a 991.1RS with no wing and a manual, and they are numbered and limited. These were hard to get unless you were a VIP or had some pull at a dealer. This remains a highly coveted car. When they launched the 991.2 GT3 Porsche made a manual transmission available again. In addition, they launched a GT3 touring edition that was only available in manual and no wing. Oh and Porsche built the Speedster, a GT3 convertible only available in manual. Porsche carried forward with a manual option in the 992 generation, and now you can order a touring with a PDK. It’s like the field of dreams with these cars…you know the rest. Anyhow, try to drive both and see which hits you in the gut. IMHO, it doesn’t need to be a vs. battle with manual and PDK, just buy what makes you happy.

Some of your questions - you’ll be over the limit in any transmission if you floor it. It’s astonishing how quick a 500HP GT car feels at the upper rev range. It’s really a sweet sport for grip, performance, control and speed. I think you mean Lava Orange. Although in some pics it definitely looks red. Funny to read all the legacy comments on the color, almost like the manual vs. PDK. Is the RS more special, don’t let the reviews sway you. Follow your gut it’s your money. Regarding the parts you mention, they do serve a purpose. Maybe doesn’t come across that way if it’s only driven to C&C. But the front and rear track, suspension, wing, lighter parts, etc., that’s core to the RS. Is that important, up to the buyer. Finally, price and value, try not to let that drive your decision. Follow your instincts and anticipate depreciation.

Enjoy the search.

Thank you for the feedback. Some of the most thoughtful feedback I've had in 20 years in car forums.

I am going to see the Lava Orange RS I posted above tomorrow. To be honest this is my first car in "this price range". What is the expectations and norms with these car. Should I expect to be able to drive it around the neighborhood at the dealer?

For me special is that intangible thing. Sometimes it color, sometimes it's a spoiler or a manual transmission. To me it doesn't matter if other have the car, or whatever. To me it's personal to me. When I wax the car or drive it, does it feel special? The GT3 RS in Lava Orange feels special in pictures!

We shall see tomorrow.
Old 09-01-2023 | 09:26 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Indy - you should be able to test drive after they verify you’re a serious buyer. What that drive is like depends on the dealer and their comfort level with you. I can relate to some of your comments, I too love detailing my cars and I view it as an extension of the ownership experience. I find the RS and 911’s in general are easy to detail for the most part. I’m not talking about after a heavy track day, but rather after normal spirited road use, especially if it has PPF + ceramic coating + PCCB. There was actually a thread on RL that touched on looking back at cars and starring at them in the garage. It devolved like manny threads do on RL but there are plenty that enjoy that too. Lava, IMHO, is an amazing color, and is perfect for the RS. Doesn’t mean everyone has to like it, but you’ll know if you like it when you see it. I actually grew fonder of it over time. And now that two newer iterations of the RS have come out the notion that all RS are Lava has calmed down. The RS does feel special, and not just because it is clearly a statement on wheels, but because of how darn awesome it truly is. There are no gimmicks to it, the sound is truly glorious and it NEVER gets old, And the handling will make you giggle and will always be a step more capable than your abilities. I don’t want to harp on this point and distract from your buying experience, but do consider looking and driving one with the carbon bucket seats. For me these heightened the ownership experience and they hold you tight and where you need to be. When buying pre-owned you’re likely not getting any discount for buying one without them, and they are ~20k to buy after the fact. Cheers!
Old 09-01-2023 | 10:09 PM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LS-1
Humm - here's what I found -
One,
two,
three ,
four ,
five.

Dont think there's a repeat in there but let me know.
https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/2...gt3-touring-4/

Now one up for auction.

Touring
Black
Sofas
PCCB's
Old 09-01-2023 | 10:10 PM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Indy - you should be able to test drive after they verify you’re a serious buyer. What that drive is like depends on the dealer and their comfort level with you. I can relate to some of your comments, I too love detailing my cars and I view it as an extension of the ownership experience. I find the RS and 911’s in general are easy to detail for the most part. I’m not talking about after a heavy track day, but rather after normal spirited road use, especially if it has PPF + ceramic coating + PCCB. There was actually a thread on RL that touched on looking back at cars and starring at them in the garage. It devolved like manny threads do on RL but there are plenty that enjoy that too. Lava, IMHO, is an amazing color, and is perfect for the RS. Doesn’t mean everyone has to like it, but you’ll know if you like it when you see it. I actually grew fonder of it over time. And now that two newer iterations of the RS have come out the notion that all RS are Lava has calmed down. The RS does feel special, and not just because it is clearly a statement on wheels, but because of how darn awesome it truly is. There are no gimmicks to it, the sound is truly glorious and it NEVER gets old, And the handling will make you giggle and will always be a step more capable than your abilities. I don’t want to harp on this point and distract from your buying experience, but do consider looking and driving one with the carbon bucket seats. For me these heightened the ownership experience and they hold you tight and where you need to be. When buying pre-owned you’re likely not getting any discount for buying one without them, and they are ~20k to buy after the fact. Cheers!
I appreciate the feedback, on the test driver, dealership experience, and carbon buckets. I will probably spend more time cleaning the GT3 RS, polishing it, and cermaic coating (ontop of PPF) than I will driving it. I am weird like that, but that has given me joy. The extras like vents, spoiler, make that feel more special. Red / orange colors looks the best at gold hour after a cleaning!

Also, in my research I do like that you can change the oil, and do maintiance on these car at home. I really don't like letting other people service my cars. It looks like oil changes, filter, etc are fairly easy. As an engineer, I enjoy that.

I will say I do believe there is a discount for the carbon buckets. It seems all the GT3 RS without them are cheaper.

What is the expected negotation % on vehicle in this market? In my "larger" purschases (mostly wakeboarding boards) I've gone into dealerships and offer the asking price, as out the door price, and generally that has worked. So basically in this case if asking is $200k, the purchase price would be $186K + 7% tax so =$200k or so out the door. Reasonable on these cars in this market, especially if I am not financing?

Last edited by Indyxc; 09-01-2023 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-02-2023 | 12:26 AM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Indy- that after cleaning moment you’re talking about, know it well!

Yes you can do the maintenance yourself with the correct tools, knowledge and patience.

Regarding the negotiation approach and or purchase strategy. Here’s what I do:
- Set a budget and the max all in you’ll be comfortable spending.
- Do a ton of market research. Look at the current pool of cars for sale and whatever historical info you can find such a BAT results.
- Identify your must have options, e.g. color, miles, condition, leather, seats, brakes, headlights, FAL, etc.
- Narrow your search to only cars that meet this criteria.
- Start contacting sellers and feel out their position on the car. How long it has been for sale, is it a
local car, and don’t be afraid to make an offer. Not an obscene low offer but in the range of what you’re willing to pay.
- Be patient as you call various sellers and get a sense for where your offers stand. It may be some time before they call back depending on what your offer is.
- It’s easier to negotiate when your dealing with more options and know where other offers stand.
- Have to factor in if it’s CPO, does it have PPF, has it been fully serviced based on time and mileage, how are the tires, etc. Is there shipping involved.
- No matter how much I may like a car, if I get a bad vibe from the dealer or seller I will walk away.
- At this price point I wouldn’t compromise. Take your time and be 100%.

Cheers!

Indyxc (09-02-2023)
Old 09-02-2023 | 07:31 AM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

I will say I do believe there is a discount for the carbon buckets. It seems all the GT3 RS without them are cheaper.
Not to get into a seat debate but there’s a reason the sofa’d RS’s tend to sit and be at the bottom of pricing. As consumers were lucky that Porsche makes a fixed back seat which can be paired with a roll bar, 6pt and HANS. Not saying an RS is a cup car or anything but anything but LWBS is 100% silly given the intent of that car. I really wish they didn’t even provide the option.

Quite frankly, it’s a dorky configuration.

I’d rather try to sell an RS that has been in a minor accident than one with sofas in it.
Old 09-02-2023 | 12:23 PM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Indy- that after cleaning moment you’re talking about, know it well!

Yes you can do the maintenance yourself with the correct tools, knowledge and patience.

Regarding the negotiation approach and or purchase strategy. Here’s what I do:
- Set a budget and the max all in you’ll be comfortable spending.
- Do a ton of market research. Look at the current pool of cars for sale and whatever historical info you can find such a BAT results.
- Identify your must have options, e.g. color, miles, condition, leather, seats, brakes, headlights, FAL, etc.
- Narrow your search to only cars that meet this criteria.
- Start contacting sellers and feel out their position on the car. How long it has been for sale, is it a
local car, and don’t be afraid to make an offer. Not an obscene low offer but in the range of what you’re willing to pay.
- Be patient as you call various sellers and get a sense for where your offers stand. It may be some time before they call back depending on what your offer is.
- It’s easier to negotiate when your dealing with more options and know where other offers stand.
- Have to factor in if it’s CPO, does it have PPF, has it been fully serviced based on time and mileage, how are the tires, etc. Is there shipping involved.
- No matter how much I may like a car, if I get a bad vibe from the dealer or seller I will walk away.
- At this price point I wouldn’t compromise. Take your time and be 100%.

Cheers!
Beautiful car and color ! Thanks for the advice. I am going to check out the Lava Orange one here in an hour. In my mind it's a dream car, but appreciate the advice on not rushing.

ITRSteve- I meant to say I do believe the ones W/O Carbon buckets are cheaper. Interesting point on it being hard to sell one with sofas. To me it doesn't make a difference, though I will say I am totally oblvious for the difference.

Quick Reply: The 991 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...