Sponsored by:

The 991 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 12:48 AM
John Clabby
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by unluckydrawer
For my $$ no LWBS is a deal breaker for me as well. Sofas are barely ok on GT3. On RS is completely unacceptable.

Seems to have everything else:
https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP0AF2A94GS187110

If paying cash, I would try to go private party instead of dealer.
PPI and Fidelity Platinum Warranty and you're set. Buying process should be around 2-3 months if you're picky.

And if you want sofas, it's 5k, easily covered if you cut out the dealer.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/225207638759

Is that a recent Fidelity quote? I was told a couple of months ago by a broker that they no longer cover the RS at all, and most GT3s. I guess it's VIN specific, but mine didn't qualify. Pretty sweet deal if those prices are valid.

Sofas supposedly require quite a bit of extra money for installation as the wiring is different. There are a few threads on renn about people paying some wild prices. Might be a pretty easy DIY to swap a harness out, though.
Old 09-03-2023, 01:02 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 344 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by John Clabby
Is that a recent Fidelity quote? I was told a couple of months ago by a broker that they no longer cover the RS at all, and most GT3s. I guess it's VIN specific, but mine didn't qualify. Pretty sweet deal if those prices are valid.
Got the same info, no RS and 20K max payout per repair with a cap of 40k, I think on a non RS GT3. Once you deduct the buy in cost of the policy, it's hardly worth it. I had mine CPO'ed for the same cost, 100% covered for 3 years, no $ caps, no strings attached.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 09-03-2023, 01:04 AM
BSheppard
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

Sofas supposedly require quite a bit of extra money for installation as the wiring is different. There are a few threads on renn about people paying some wild prices. Might be a pretty easy DIY to swap a harness out, though.
I found a GT3 that was everything I wanted (PTS, manual, great condition) but it had buckets. Several test drives and I was at my dealer trying to figure out how to get the sofas put in.

Found a set for $5500 that were local enough to drive and get them. Problem was that the dealer had to make a lot of changes to make the sofas work. Parts and labor hit something in the $12k range and then we hit the ultimate snag. No way to make the heated seat button work. Was going to have to use aftermarket switch from a catskins (sp?) kit.

I moved on from the car at that point.
Old 09-03-2023, 01:13 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 344 Likes on 237 Posts

I'm not an expert on the RS market but I think $200k is on the higher end for a "black sheep" spec RS. A local pcar dealer had a similar 2016 orange RS with sofas and no ceramics, listed at 219k and it was there a while, eventually dropped into the 19Xk area. I got the idea it might be a "buy this and you'll get a 992 allocation" deal.

How ok are you with the risk of big repair bills? These aren't like a McLaren where it's very common, but it's not unheard of to see 5-figure repair bills on a GT3/RS per these forums. To me the idea of an $60k engine or $30k gearbox wasn't palatable and I'd never be able to fully enjoy one without a great warranty. I don't think any respected companies will sell a warranty on an RS, so CPO from a Porsche dealer was a necessity when I was searching. If you're spending all of the money anyway, I'd consider buying CPO.

As far as condition, a lot of owners seem to keep these cars absolutely perfect under PPF from new. Of the ~10 GT3s I looked at in person, only 2 had any rock chips at all. I'd really recommend you look at other cars just to get an idea of what the average example looks like up close.
Indy, For 200k you can get a very low mileage 991.2 GT3, full PPF, perfect inside and out with CPO! The driving experience is near identical and the car is newer and improved with full factory warranty. If I were going to spend no more than 200k and wanted a GT3, I would concentrate on <10,000 miles, full PPF, CPO and options/colors you like. You will drive away with a perfect car, no headaches, no risk for several years. And you can get a manual if you prefer. That would be my advice. Personally, I would have a hard time spending 200k for a 2016 car private party with no CPO and wear, especially one that appears to have maybe had an aggressive life on the track.

Last edited by John D II; 09-03-2023 at 01:15 AM.
Old 09-03-2023, 01:39 AM
unluckydrawer
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

. . . .

Last edited by unluckydrawer; 09-03-2023 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-03-2023, 11:14 AM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by CubsFan1
This is a dealership and not a private sale correct? When I have sold cars in the past, I couldn’t get the car to the dealer or anywhere of the buyers choice fast enough to validate the quality of the car - and no strings attached other than the buyer pays for the PPI. I bet there are not multiple offers on the car. I can respect a dealer has their business model, but I would be careful entering into a purchase agreement prior to seeing the PPI results. What is the dealer out, time, inconvenience - frankly the seller should be proud to have the vehicle inspected and happily want that done to prove it is as advertised. Assuming this comes with zero warranty. I would want to ensure everything is right, including no paint work or unreported repairs. Also, look at the date stamps on the tires. I would be shocked if they haven’t been replaced more than once. If the PCCB pads were replaced at 3.3k miles it likely was tracked. Nothing wrong with that, it just requires a more aggressive amount of maintenance.These brakes will last nearly the life of the car when only used on the street.

Curious, is this the only RS you’re considering? Have you looked at others to compare condition, options, etc.?
This is a Sports Car Dealership reseller, so while not a Porsche Dealership, not exactly a private sale. To be clear he was very open to it, he just said, he wanted to make sure the intent was to buy at that point, given any signficant issues. The seller was actually really nice and friendly. No pressure, very easy going, the only pressure was he WANTED me to drive the car, which I appreciated. Good point on the pads. I do suspect it probably did have track use early on. This the only RS I have seen so far, as it's the only local one. I have reached out to a few other sellers, 1 already sold. 1 has not responded.

I'm not an expert on the RS market but I think $200k is on the higher end for a "black sheep" spec RS. A local pcar dealer had a similar 2016 orange RS with sofas and no ceramics, listed at 219k and it was there a while, eventually dropped into the 19Xk area. I got the idea it might be a "buy this and you'll get a 992 allocation" deal.

How ok are you with the risk of big repair bills? These aren't like a McLaren where it's very common, but it's not unheard of to see 5-figure repair bills on a GT3/RS per these forums. To me the idea of an $60k engine or $30k gearbox wasn't palatable and I'd never be able to fully enjoy one without a great warranty. I don't think any respected companies will sell a warranty on an RS, so CPO from a Porsche dealer was a necessity when I was searching. If you're spending all of the money anyway, I'd consider buying CPO.

As far as condition, a lot of owners seem to keep these cars absolutely perfect under PPF from new. Of the ~10 GT3s I looked at in person, only 2 had any rock chips at all. I'd really recommend you look at other cars just to get an idea of what the average example looks like up close.
I appreciate this feedback. One of the appeals of the GT3 is the reliability. I plan to do the maintiance myself, and worse came to worse I could swap the engine/trans myself, but certainly the cost to just replacement is significant.I did wake up thiking at $200k is expense for this car, just due to the fact of sofas for resale, and going through the maintiance records last night, the replacement of pads at 3k does probably mean lots of early track time. While thats what the car is for, it definitely added to the wear and tear, and as far as resale, I think that hurts it.

Originally Posted by John D II
Indy, For 200k you can get a very low mileage 991.2 GT3, full PPF, perfect inside and out with CPO! The driving experience is near identical and the car is newer and improved with full factory warranty. If I were going to spend no more than 200k and wanted a GT3, I would concentrate on <10,000 miles, full PPF, CPO and options/colors you like. You will drive away with a perfect car, no headaches, no risk for several years. And you can get a manual if you prefer. That would be my advice. Personally, I would have a hard time spending 200k for a 2016 car private party with no CPO and wear, especially one that appears to have maybe had an aggressive life on the track.
This was my Eureka moment last night! While the 991.2 GT3 isn't an RS, it's 99% of the experience without some of the significant downsides. I actually started looking at 2018 GT3s last night. While I do like the PDK (it's clear not an "automatic"), secretly in the back of my mind, I know I converted my first car in life from AT to MT, and bought a Subaru WRX Wagon in AT, then sold it, and bought the same car in manual. I'd say there is a change I might go through this year.

So, after much thinking yesterday, I learned a couple things. 1. I absolutely want to buy a GT3. Love the car. 2. Really want Lava Orange. Now it's the time to find the right one. The GT3 RS I looked at could be the right now, but not at that price. I might offer him significantly less, maybe I'll wait. Still deciding.

Seriously, 24 years on car forums now (since 1999) and some of the best buying advice I've received in years. Thanks to all.

This is interesting: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/b...-09b4ec5ec9a4/ , but above my "Budget". That being said, the piece of mind is good, and it's manual. Does this means it includes the warranty or I can buy an extra warranty? I think included.

Last edited by Indyxc; 09-03-2023 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-03-2023, 05:04 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 409 Posts

Indy - agree I don’t think you can go wrong with either choice RS or GT3. And if you want a manual then of course only a GT3. I believe there are enough options out there for you to look around and compare cars, deals, etc. You’ll find these type of cars priced all over the place. And in time you’ll get a feel for what stuff sells at that meets your needs. Of course the more narrow the search the tougher it becomes. For example, someone who says I must have a manual GT3 in Lava with PCCB and full leather is significantly narrow compared to just a manual GT3. And of course the dealers play on these points as their leverage. Anyhow, if I’m reading their statement accurately, that Lava car at Mainline is CPO and is eligible for one additional year of coverage at your expense. When I purchased my recent vehicle that came CPO this was offered as well. Good luck in your search. Hoping you get a chance to at least drive one with carbon buckets to see how you feel about them. Cheers!

Old 09-03-2023, 08:09 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,604 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by unluckydrawer
I want to feel special in my cars. Unfortunately, in my area, GT3s are a dime a dozen whether .1 or .2, especially white ones. They are visually identical other than rear tail lights and front bumper. I dunno exact current pricing, but you can probably get a 458 italia for similar money. I don't want to be associated with nor confused for the plebs in their white 80k mile 2014s even if it's just my daily to pick up food at the drive through. So it'd have to be RS--for the visual flair and all the race inspired components.

It is what it is. I know it's completely different from the subtle-gentleman-old school-true enthusiast crowd who enjoy the tourings/etc. But that kind of advice, while I'm sure is heartfelt and genuine, we've heard millions of times already, so just my honest thoughts at the other end of the spectrum.
You should get a Lamborghini or Maclaren. Porsches are not flashy enough for what you want - they’re basically squashed VW Beetles.
Old 09-03-2023, 09:23 PM
unluckydrawer
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

. . . .

Last edited by unluckydrawer; 09-03-2023 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-03-2023, 09:51 PM
John Clabby
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Indyxc
This is a Sports Car Dealership reseller, so while not a Porsche Dealership, not exactly a private sale. To be clear he was very open to it, he just said, he wanted to make sure the intent was to buy at that point, given any signficant issues. The seller was actually really nice and friendly. No pressure, very easy going, the only pressure was he WANTED me to drive the car, which I appreciated. Good point on the pads. I do suspect it probably did have track use early on. This the only RS I have seen so far, as it's the only local one. I have reached out to a few other sellers, 1 already sold. 1 has not responded.

I appreciate this feedback. One of the appeals of the GT3 is the reliability. I plan to do the maintiance myself, and worse came to worse I could swap the engine/trans myself, but certainly the cost to just replacement is significant.I did wake up thiking at $200k is expense for this car, just due to the fact of sofas for resale, and going through the maintiance records last night, the replacement of pads at 3k does probably mean lots of early track time. While thats what the car is for, it definitely added to the wear and tear, and as far as resale, I think that hurts it.

This was my Eureka moment last night! While the 991.2 GT3 isn't an RS, it's 99% of the experience without some of the significant downsides. I actually started looking at 2018 GT3s last night. While I do like the PDK (it's clear not an "automatic"), secretly in the back of my mind, I know I converted my first car in life from AT to MT, and bought a Subaru WRX Wagon in AT, then sold it, and bought the same car in manual. I'd say there is a change I might go through this year.

So, after much thinking yesterday, I learned a couple things. 1. I absolutely want to buy a GT3. Love the car. 2. Really want Lava Orange. Now it's the time to find the right one. The GT3 RS I looked at could be the right now, but not at that price. I might offer him significantly less, maybe I'll wait. Still deciding.

Seriously, 24 years on car forums now (since 1999) and some of the best buying advice I've received in years. Thanks to all.

This is interesting: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/b...-09b4ec5ec9a4/ , but above my "Budget". That being said, the piece of mind is good, and it's manual. Does this means it includes the warranty or I can buy an extra warranty? I think included.
Are you anywhere near the NYC area? You're welcome to test drive my manual GT3 if so. It has a numeric short shifter and it's almost as tight as the chassis mounted race shifter on my E36 racecar. The RS I test drove was the same spec you did, and my car is way way more fun (to me, at least). IMO when it comes to driving enjoyment on the street, the RS is 90% of the car that the manual GT3 is.

CPO is 2yrs unlimited mileage and costs $2995, though that's often already included in the listing price you see online. +1 year is a "flexible" price depending how bad the finance guy gets you, but I believe roughly $3k for the 3rd year. Money very well spent IMO. I'm not sure how practical it is to DIY any major repairs on these, I believe a lot requires some big $$$ computers to code things to the vehicle. I read a thread yesterday about a guy who needed a new 991.2 GT3 engine out of warranty - about $60k in parts and $20k labor at his dealership. Again these are rare horror stories, but still scary stuff.

Along with finding the right spec and options, consider finding a car already modded if you want to go that route. My car came with probably $20k in mods which I'd have done myself anyway plus another $20k in others that are nice free bonuses, and I probably didn't pay any premium for the car versus a stock one. The Porsche premium on aftermarket parts is staggering.
The following 2 users liked this post by John Clabby:
HpIzKing (09-04-2023), TheDangerZone (09-04-2023)
Old 09-03-2023, 10:39 PM
n d
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by CHALKGT2RS
unless you enriched the dealer in some other way or you have an agreement to sell it back to the dealer immediately upon delivery and make a buck, there has not been a RS sale at MSRP, no matter how many polls you show me, it did not happen
I got mine at msrp the only deal I have with my dealer is that if I sell it he gets it back…..
sorry to burst your bubble…
Old 09-04-2023, 12:25 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Are you anywhere near the NYC area? You're welcome to test drive my manual GT3 if so. It has a numeric short shifter and it's almost as tight as the chassis mounted race shifter on my E36 racecar. The RS I test drove was the same spec you did, and my car is way way more fun (to me, at least). IMO when it comes to driving enjoyment on the street, the RS is 90% of the car that the manual GT3 is.

CPO is 2yrs unlimited mileage and costs $2995, though that's often already included in the listing price you see online. +1 year is a "flexible" price depending how bad the finance guy gets you, but I believe roughly $3k for the 3rd year. Money very well spent IMO. I'm not sure how practical it is to DIY any major repairs on these, I believe a lot requires some big $$$ computers to code things to the vehicle. I read a thread yesterday about a guy who needed a new 991.2 GT3 engine out of warranty - about $60k in parts and $20k labor at his dealership. Again these are rare horror stories, but still scary stuff.

Along with finding the right spec and options, consider finding a car already modded if you want to go that route. My car came with probably $20k in mods which I'd have done myself anyway plus another $20k in others that are nice free bonuses, and I probably didn't pay any premium for the car versus a stock one. The Porsche premium on aftermarket parts is staggering.
+1 on Numeric. Metal on metal is so satisfying. GT3 is a fun car to shift manually.
Old 09-04-2023, 02:03 PM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 131 Posts

Hi John, I am in the Nashville, TN metro area, so not close to you, but greatly apprecaite the offer. Agree, that large repairs are not practical. When I was younger I did all the car modding myself (Including engine rebuilds), but in reality now I don't have time. Your point on potential major repair costs is valid, and is weighing on my decision for sure. I do not plan to mod the car at all.

Thinking last night, I did realize, why the RS feels so special to me visually, it's the widebody. I guess I already knew, but I saw a picture of them side by side, and it's the darn widebody that makes the RS so special to me. It's silly, but that whats makes me love the GT3 in general. The RS widebody. However, then a couple hour later, the manual of the GT3 991.2 tugs at my heart as well.

Also, I did a lot of research last night on pricing. The GT3 RS market is definitely softing. Since BAT is so handy you can sort all the 2016 GT RS Sales recently, and if you add the $5k sellers fee it looks like they are selling for $185k. So that means the GT3 RS I looked at locally for $200k, with sofas, 8 out of 10 condition, and potential track time early in it's life, probably woul need to be purchased at $180k in this market.

https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/99...rs&result=sold

Laying it out in my mind, if someone else is going to research this in the future.

Pros for RS 991.1
  • Wide body, more special, unique. It will feel more special sitting in the garage and looking at it. As trivial as that sounds, I that is important to me.
  • Prices actually look a bit softer than manual 991.2s.
Cons for RS: RS 991.1
  • Hard or imposible to find a warranty, and if major repair is needed, large costs.
  • Only PDK (Which at the moment I like, but I've never regretted buying a manual car)
Pros for 991.2
  • Can be purchased with a warranty (Care free driving definitely has merits, I've owned an expensive boat before with high hours, and it's always in the back of your mind).
  • Comes in manual
  • Newer infotainment, and the 4.0 is apparently updated vs. GT3 RS 4.0
Cons for 911.2
  • Seems pricers for nice examples vs GT3 RS.
  • Not a widebody.
I keep waffling. It's going to be between one of these twos. My wife can drive a manual, but she drove the manual 992 Carrera GTS and said she preferred probably prefers the PDK, because the car is too fast to shift and hold the wheel on tight roads. It was kind of a good point. Obviously after a while a fast car feels "slow" when you get used to it.

The good part is I am learning a lot, and the more I learn, the more the choice will become clear. Especially the right choice. The advice here has been golden too. Thanks agall.

Last edited by Indyxc; 09-04-2023 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-04-2023, 06:07 PM
BSheppard
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Indyxc

Thinking last night, I did realize, why the RS feels so special to me visually, it's the widebody. I guess I already knew, but I saw a picture of them side by side, and it's the darn widebody that makes the RS so special to me. It's silly, but that whats makes me love the GT3 in general. The RS widebody. However, then a couple hour later, the manual of the GT3 991.2 tugs at my heart as well.
I’ll comment on the “wide body” part of the post.

Narrow body 991’s are 71” wide.

GT3’s are wide body’s at 73” wide

GT3 RS is 74” wide.

So that manual 991.2 GT3 you like is a wide body and only an inch narrower than the RS.
Old 09-04-2023, 06:50 PM
HpIzKing
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 74 Posts

It was either the 991.1 RS or the 991.2 GT3 for me as that was the price point I was comfortable with. I loved the aero bits and wide body on the RS a lot. Styling on the GT3 was probably more age appropriate for me at a ripe old 60 but I'm a 60 that still competes with my dirt bikes so the heck with age.

If you can "put up with" the PDK (sarcasm), it is such a special car to look at, listen to, and drive. Though I shift a dirt bike quite handily, I have two left feet for a clutch in the car so the thought of using a manual/rev matching for "more engagement" per this forum was probably going to take some work for me. That made it a LOT easier decision as I just wanted to drive. I did consider a PDK in the .2 GT3 because I read the motor had a much better midrange. But for me that wasn't that important as I am not tracking the car.
I totally appreciate and accept all the other opinions on the manual as The One, but buy what hits your heart and you won't look back. Its quite ridiculous to be going on about these cars really as we all should feel blessed to have such a difficult decision (more sarcasm).

Quick Reply: The 991 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...