Sponsored by:

The 991 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 07:04 PM
John Clabby
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Indyxc
Hi John, I am in the Nashville, TN metro area, so not close to you, but greatly apprecaite the offer. Agree, that large repairs are not practical. When I was younger I did all the car modding myself (Including engine rebuilds), but in reality now I don't have time. Your point on potential major repair costs is valid, and is weighing on my decision for sure. I do not plan to mod the car at all.

Thinking last night, I did realize, why the RS feels so special to me visually, it's the widebody. I guess I already knew, but I saw a picture of them side by side, and it's the darn widebody that makes the RS so special to me. It's silly, but that whats makes me love the GT3 in general. The RS widebody. However, then a couple hour later, the manual of the GT3 991.2 tugs at my heart as well.

Also, I did a lot of research last night on pricing. The GT3 RS market is definitely softing. Since BAT is so handy you can sort all the 2016 GT RS Sales recently, and if you add the $5k sellers fee it looks like they are selling for $185k. So that means the GT3 RS I looked at locally for $200k, with sofas, 8 out of 10 condition, and potential track time early in it's life, probably woul need to be purchased at $180k in this market.

https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/99...rs&result=sold

Laying it out in my mind, if someone else is going to research this in the future.

Pros for RS 991.1
  • Wide body, more special, unique. It will feel more special sitting in the garage and looking at it. As trivial as that sounds, I that is important to me.
  • Prices actually look a bit softer than manual 991.2s.
Cons for RS: RS 991.1
  • Hard or imposible to find a warranty, and if major repair is needed, large costs.
  • Only PDK (Which at the moment I like, but I've never regretted buying a manual car)
Pros for 991.2
  • Can be purchased with a warranty (Care free driving definitely has merits, I've owned an expensive boat before with high hours, and it's always in the back of your mind).
  • Comes in manual
  • Newer infotainment, and the 4.0 is apparently updated vs. GT3 RS 4.0
Cons for 911.2
  • Seems pricers for nice examples vs GT3 RS.
  • Not a widebody.
I keep waffling. It's going to be between one of these twos. My wife can drive a manual, but she drove the manual 992 Carrera GTS and said she preferred probably prefers the PDK, because the car is too fast to shift and hold the wheel on tight roads. It was kind of a good point. Obviously after a while a fast car feels "slow" when you get used to it.

The good part is I am learning a lot, and the more I learn, the more the choice will become clear. Especially the right choice. The advice here has been golden too. Thanks agall.
While I think the base GT3 has some potential aftermarket warranty options out there which the RS doesn't, I think both cars are in the same boat where a CPO from a Porsche dealer seems like the best/easiest route.

The GT3 vs RS styling was a big sticking point for me as well, I wanted the widest and baddest car possible. In the end it was the manual that really swayed me but I also think the RS looks too boy racer and overdone for me now that I'm in my 30's. The GT3 is so aggressive and wide, but still sleek and beautiful. Styling is all a matter of opinion of course and I can definitely understand why some love the RS. I still vividly remember the first time I felt real downforce on my RS test drive, that was pretty sweet and is one thing I do wish the GT3 had more of.

The stock exhaust on these cars leaves a lot to be desired IMO. Given your DSM roots, are you sure you'll leave it alone? Headers give it a nice deep growl, but a good set of dundon headers can run you close to $10k. Tough pill to swallow after dropping $200k on a car.

I think driving a manual 991.2 will either A. Sway your opinion to that car, or B. Settle it for certain that the RS is the way you want to go. Maybe a Renn member in Nashville might be willing to let you have a go in their car, I'm sure there are a few out there.

Also not to get you even more torn between options, but have you considered a PDK 991.1 GT3 at all? They all had an engine engineering defect(and 10yr engine warranty bc of it) so you probably want one with the G6 replacement engine already done. If you decide you prefer PDK anyway it may be an option worth exploring and saving yourself a nice $50k. Then there's also the GT4... drive all that you can before you decide. If nothing else at least you'll never have to wonder if you made the right choice.
The following 2 users liked this post by John Clabby:
HpIzKing (09-04-2023), Indyxc (09-04-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 07:52 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 704 Posts

Hi John, I am in the Nashville, TN metro area, so not close to you, but greatly apprecaite the offer. Agree, that large repairs are not practical. When I was younger I did all the car modding myself (Including engine rebuilds), but in reality now I don't have time. Your point on potential major repair costs is valid, and is weighing on my decision for sure. I do not plan to mod the car at all.

Thinking last night, I did realize, why the RS feels so special to me visually, it's the widebody. I guess I already knew, but I saw a picture of them side by side, and it's the darn widebody that makes the RS so special to me. It's silly, but that whats makes me love the GT3 in general. The RS widebody. However, then a couple hour later, the manual of the GT3 991.2 tugs at my heart as well.

Also, I did a lot of research last night on pricing. The GT3 RS market is definitely softing. Since BAT is so handy you can sort all the 2016 GT RS Sales recently, and if you add the $5k sellers fee it looks like they are selling for $185k. So that means the GT3 RS I looked at locally for $200k, with sofas, 8 out of 10 condition, and potential track time early in it's life, probably woul need to be purchased at $180k in this market.

https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/99...rs&result=sold

Laying it out in my mind, if someone else is going to research this in the future.

Pros for RS 991.1
  • Wide body, more special, unique. It will feel more special sitting in the garage and looking at it. As trivial as that sounds, I that is important to me.
  • Prices actually look a bit softer than manual 991.2s.
Cons for RS: RS 991.1
  • Hard or imposible to find a warranty, and if major repair is needed, large costs.
  • Only PDK (Which at the moment I like, but I've never regretted buying a manual car)
Pros for 991.2
  • Can be purchased with a warranty (Care free driving definitely has merits, I've owned an expensive boat before with high hours, and it's always in the back of your mind).
  • Comes in manual
  • Newer infotainment, and the 4.0 is apparently updated vs. GT3 RS 4.0
Cons for 911.2
  • Seems pricers for nice examples vs GT3 RS.
  • Not a widebody.
I keep waffling. It's going to be between one of these twos. My wife can drive a manual, but she drove the manual 992 Carrera GTS and said she preferred probably prefers the PDK, because the car is too fast to shift and hold the wheel on tight roads. It was kind of a good point. Obviously after a while a fast car feels "slow" when you get used to it.

The good part is I am learning a lot, and the more I learn, the more the choice will become clear. Especially the right choice. The advice here has been golden too. Thanks agall.
The engines in the .2 cars are far superior to the .1. Even both technically 4.0L, the 4.0L engine in the 991.2 GT3 or RS is far superior to 4.0L in the .1 RS and R.

Pdk. .2 GT3 has 17hp more than .1 RS, , manual .2 GT3 has 27hp more than .1 RS.

Last edited by Drifting; 09-04-2023 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-04-2023, 08:01 PM
unluckydrawer
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

. . . .

Last edited by unluckydrawer; 09-06-2023 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-04-2023, 08:06 PM
John Clabby
Advanced

Originally Posted by unluckydrawer
for the others who read it before I delete:
  • i had shared a Fidelity Platinum quote for that exact Lava Orange spec the OP had considered; someone quoted me, you can still see the screenshot with the VIN if you scroll up
  • wireless carplay installations are all over in the FB group, there are so many solutions to this from:
A) PCM 4.0 transplant + coding--full OEM
B) aftermarket fully integrated solution w/ backup camera from China
C) aftermarket Kenwood/Pioneer double din w/ official Porsche 991 radio bracket adapter and harness
"hard or impossible to find warranty" -- when the solution was literally posted in the OP's face days ago; sigh
As somebody else explained, Fidelity has caps per occurance and total payout per policy. Not 100% if they applied to that RS in particular but that's the common theme I hear with GT3/RS warranties. Maybe some good ones exist, but for me CPO seemed like the easiest and most foolproof option.
Old 09-04-2023, 08:22 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 409 Posts

Over done now that you’re in your 30’s? I’m in trouble. LOL

Have read the RS boy racer comparison endless times on forums. I respect that some feel that way, but you’re more likely to get the middle finger in a Ferrari or Lambo before someone looks at your RS and thinks…wow can’t believe this guy is driving a 911 with a huge wing. IMHO, it looks as natural as a modern Denali on 22” wheels. In the aesthetics department, there may not be a more classy RS than the 991.1RS. No big stickers and all painted to match. If ever a Porsche didn’t need stickers it is an RS.

The exhaust on the 991.1RS has been tested to be one of the loudest ever installed on a car. Trust me, you don’t need to touch it. Not saying a Dundon system wouldn’t sound awesome, just my opinion on the stock setup. Also, the noise with the side intakes enhances the experience. Have owned 911 turbo, it’s a little like that sans the turbo.

Yep, here is some guy defending the RS. Don’t buy it based on my ownership experience. And not claiming it’s better than XYZ. But let’s give credit to an amazing car that doesn’t need to be manual to be exciting to drive. Have been blessed to have other cars, Gallardo, Huracan, etc. The RS was by a mile more fun to drive everywhere.

The following 2 users liked this post by CubsFan1:
HpIzKing (09-04-2023), Indyxc (09-05-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 08:50 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 344 Likes on 237 Posts

Indy, some things to research/consider:

991.2 has a 9,000 RPM vs. 991.1rs - 8,600 RPM
PDK-S in the .2 cars is improved over the .1, it's quicker, crisper, smoother, just better feeling overall. Personally, I love it.
Back-up camera is nice to have - the entire .2 PCM feels better to use
The motor in the .2 GT3 make more horsepower than .1 RS and has improved mid-range torque vs. the .1RS according to independent dyno testing.
The .2 motor has several other internal upgrades such a enhanced oiling - this subject will require some research if you are truly interested, I don't have all the answers, but look into crankshaft strength/size, coating on liners, # oil pumps, etc. and I believe that you will find a host of motor enhancements on the .2 motor.
Small side note - the FAL is lighter, if you want that feature.
.2 has improved steering and suspension
Updated bumper look

These are a few things to look into and learn more about as you contemplate your choices.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
The following users liked this post:
Indyxc (09-05-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 09:49 PM
unluckydrawer
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

. . . .

Last edited by unluckydrawer; 09-06-2023 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-04-2023, 09:53 PM
HpIzKing
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by John D II
Indy, some things to research/consider:

991.2 has a 9,000 RPM vs. 991.1rs - 8,600 RPM
PDK-S in the .2 cars is improved over the .1, it's quicker, crisper, smoother, just better feeling overall. Personally, I love it.
Back-up camera is nice to have - the entire .2 PCM feels better to use
The motor in the .2 GT3 make more horsepower than .1 RS and has improved mid-range torque vs. the .1RS according to independent dyno testing.
The .2 motor has several other internal upgrades such a enhanced oiling - this subject will require some research if you are truly interested, I don't have all the answers, but look into crankshaft strength/size, coating on liners, # oil pumps, etc. and I believe that you will find a host of motor enhancements on the .2 motor.
Small side note - the FAL is lighter, if you want that feature.
.2 has improved steering and suspension
Updated bumper look

These are a few things to look into and learn more about as you contemplate your choices.
I may have learned too much here. I better just put my old .1 RS to salvage based on the above lol. One correction...rpms go to 8800 in the .1 RS.
MM3.9GT3 (09-08-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 09:07 PM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by John Clabby
While I think the base GT3 has some potential aftermarket warranty options out there which the RS doesn't, I think both cars are in the same boat where a CPO from a Porsche dealer seems like the best/easiest route.

The GT3 vs RS styling was a big sticking point for me as well, I wanted the widest and baddest car possible. In the end it was the manual that really swayed me but I also think the RS looks too boy racer and overdone for me now that I'm in my 30's. The GT3 is so aggressive and wide, but still sleek and beautiful. Styling is all a matter of opinion of course and I can definitely understand why some love the RS. I still vividly remember the first time I felt real downforce on my RS test drive, that was pretty sweet and is one thing I do wish the GT3 had more of.

The stock exhaust on these cars leaves a lot to be desired IMO. Given your DSM roots, are you sure you'll leave it alone? Headers give it a nice deep growl, but a good set of dundon headers can run you close to $10k. Tough pill to swallow after dropping $200k on a car.

I think driving a manual 991.2 will either A. Sway your opinion to that car, or B. Settle it for certain that the RS is the way you want to go. Maybe a Renn member in Nashville might be willing to let you have a go in their car, I'm sure there are a few out there.

Also not to get you even more torn between options, but have you considered a PDK 991.1 GT3 at all? They all had an engine engineering defect(and 10yr engine warranty bc of it) so you probably want one with the G6 replacement engine already done. If you decide you prefer PDK anyway it may be an option worth exploring and saving yourself a nice $50k. Then there's also the GT4... drive all that you can before you decide. If nothing else at least you'll never have to wonder if you made the right choice.
Glad to hear people still know what DSMs are. It's what myself, and my friends grew up on. Good ole days.

I have looked at 991.1 PDKs. Those really don't appeal to me at all. The 3.8, PDK only. If I am spending $130k on car, why not spend $200k on the right car. It's all insane at this point. Now, 991.1 GT3RS and 991.2 manual, If I am honest with myself in the end I know I will prefer a manual car, except if it's a GT3 RS, because there is no manual option, and I can't afford a 911R. The GT3 RS has that special sitting in the garage experience, while the 991.2 Manual will probably in the end be a better driving experience.

I really wish I could drive a drive a 991.2 Manual. I reached out to a few sellers of .2 Manuals yesterday and today. You are right, I really need to drive one to make an informed decision. The closets I've come so far is driving the 912 Carrera 4 GTS, and oddly I did not like the manual on it. The shifting was almost too much of a distraction for how fast the car was. That of course was on a first drive, and the 3.0L turbo is not the same as ringing out the 4.0.

I contact the sellers of these 3:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/b...-78ab6c41a360/ (Higher miles, no Carbon Brakes)
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/8...-7196b0aa7fe2/ (Something feels off on this price)
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/b...-09b4ec5ec9a4/ (My front runner, dealer is CPOing it now, and INCLUDES a 2 year warranty). Front PPF, and low miles.

Debating on this one (Love the color), and pulling the cage;
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/f...-bba9fe072e27/
Old 09-05-2023, 09:08 PM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by CubsFan1
Over done now that you’re in your 30’s? I’m in trouble. LOL

Have read the RS boy racer comparison endless times on forums. I respect that some feel that way, but you’re more likely to get the middle finger in a Ferrari or Lambo before someone looks at your RS and thinks…wow can’t believe this guy is driving a 911 with a huge wing. IMHO, it looks as natural as a modern Denali on 22” wheels. In the aesthetics department, there may not be a more classy RS than the 991.1RS. No big stickers and all painted to match. If ever a Porsche didn’t need stickers it is an RS.

The exhaust on the 991.1RS has been tested to be one of the loudest ever installed on a car. Trust me, you don’t need to touch it. Not saying a Dundon system wouldn’t sound awesome, just my opinion on the stock setup. Also, the noise with the side intakes enhances the experience. Have owned 911 turbo, it’s a little like that sans the turbo.

Yep, here is some guy defending the RS. Don’t buy it based on my ownership experience. And not claiming it’s better than XYZ. But let’s give credit to an amazing car that doesn’t need to be manual to be exciting to drive. Have been blessed to have other cars, Gallardo, Huracan, etc. The RS was by a mile more fun to drive everywhere.
I just turned 40 in June. Mid life Crisis car! My wife hates the GT3 RS spoiler, but understand it's purpose. Those she calls it a "High Schooler Car"
Old 09-05-2023, 10:02 PM
John Clabby
Advanced

Glad to hear people still know what DSMs are. It's what myself, and my friends grew up on. Good ole days.

I have looked at 991.1 PDKs. Those really don't appeal to me at all. The 3.8, PDK only. If I am spending $130k on car, why not spend $200k on the right car. It's all insane at this point. Now, 991.1 GT3RS and 991.2 manual, If I am honest with myself in the end I know I will prefer a manual car, except if it's a GT3 RS, because there is no manual option, and I can't afford a 911R. The GT3 RS has that special sitting in the garage experience, while the 991.2 Manual will probably in the end be a better driving experience.

I really wish I could drive a drive a 991.2 Manual. I reached out to a few sellers of .2 Manuals yesterday and today. You are right, I really need to drive one to make an informed decision. The closets I've come so far is driving the 912 Carrera 4 GTS, and oddly I did not like the manual on it. The shifting was almost too much of a distraction for how fast the car was. That of course was on a first drive, and the 3.0L turbo is not the same as ringing out the 4.0.

I contact the sellers of these 3:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/b...-78ab6c41a360/ (Higher miles, no Carbon Brakes)
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/8...-7196b0aa7fe2/ (Something feels off on this price)
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/b...-09b4ec5ec9a4/ (My front runner, dealer is CPOing it now, and INCLUDES a 2 year warranty). Front PPF, and low miles.

Debating on this one (Love the color), and pulling the cage;
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/f...-bba9fe072e27/
DSM's were a bit before my time (I just turned 30 in June) but somehow I've still read god knows how many hours of forums on them. I grew up in E36's and 240sx's - probably a pretty similar experience fixing my pieces of junk more than I drove them lol. Regardless as a kid the Fast & Furious Eclipse hero car was the 2nd coolest thing on earth to me, behind the Supra of course.

I haven't driven a manual of any P-car that wasn't a GT3 or GT4, but I've had a few newer BMW's in manual that just don't feel right. There are absolutely cars that an auto, DCT, PDK, etc just fits better and the stick feels like an afterthought option. I just took my GT3 out yesterday for the first time in 2 weeks and it's unreal how good these cars drive, and the manual fits it perfectly. The PDK is an engineering marvel and is fun in it's own way, though.

The Voodoo blue car is about an hour from me, if you get serious about it I'm happy to go check it out for you. I also highly recommend a great PPI guy (Michael @ Formula Motorsports in Long Island City) for the general NY area. That car has at least some track use, it was discussed a few pages back in this thread. I considered it in my search but passed because I couldn't get in touch with previous owners to confirm how heavily it was tracked + whether the PCCB used on those track days. All the other links look like they've got their pros/cons. Whatever you do, don't compromise on getting the color you really want the most.
Indyxc (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 10:08 PM
John Clabby
Advanced

Originally Posted by unluckydrawer
just to clarify, the $20k per claim, and $40k cap is for Freedom Warranty, NOT Fidelity

I have both policies. Freedom isn't bad, I have it for my more exotic cars.

but hey what do I know. Listening to larps and hearsay much better than from someone who has the actual policies I'm sure.
One of the popular brokers of Fidelity warranties on here told me that there were cost caps on the Fidelity platinum plan. Not sure if he was mistaken or maybe that's only on certain vehicles? The VIN of the car I ended up buying wasn't eligible for Fidelity anyway so I didn't dig any deeper. Whatever route someone decides to take, just confirm the details and fine print before pulling the trigger on a car.
Old 09-05-2023, 11:46 PM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Clabby
DSM's were a bit before my time (I just turned 30 in June) but somehow I've still read god knows how many hours of forums on them. I grew up in E36's and 240sx's - probably a pretty similar experience fixing my pieces of junk more than I drove them lol. Regardless as a kid the Fast & Furious Eclipse hero car was the 2nd coolest thing on earth to me, behind the Supra of course.

I haven't driven a manual of any P-car that wasn't a GT3 or GT4, but I've had a few newer BMW's in manual that just don't feel right. There are absolutely cars that an auto, DCT, PDK, etc just fits better and the stick feels like an afterthought option. I just took my GT3 out yesterday for the first time in 2 weeks and it's unreal how good these cars drive, and the manual fits it perfectly. The PDK is an engineering marvel and is fun in it's own way, though.

The Voodoo blue car is about an hour from me, if you get serious about it I'm happy to go check it out for you. I also highly recommend a great PPI guy (Michael @ Formula Motorsports in Long Island City) for the general NY area. That car has at least some track use, it was discussed a few pages back in this thread. I considered it in my search but passed because I couldn't get in touch with previous owners to confirm how heavily it was tracked + whether the PCCB used on those track days. All the other links look like they've got their pros/cons. Whatever you do, don't compromise on getting the color you really want the most.
I turned 40 in June, so yeah I was in high school with my Eagle Talon when the original F2F came out, then everyone wanted an Eclipse. When I was in college (Early 2000s) you could buy a used MK4 Supra manual for 30k. Wish I had bought one!

I kind of figured the blue one was tracked (hence the roll cage).Thanks for the back story.

A poverty spec (lol) UV GT3 RS popped up. No Carbon brakes (I actually don't mind that, no headache with the high cost), no carbon bucket, no axle lift. Basically, not many options, but 5k miles.I like low miles.Wish it had FAL. My wife hates the color too.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/m-Moto...8/NONE/DEFAULT

And for reference here are a couple 911.1 GTS RS that sold on BAT. Seems the going price lately has been low 180s.

A Lava Orange RS, 16K miles, Carbon Buckets, sold for $180 so $185K on 6/19/23.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...911-gt3-rs-42/

A Lava Orange RS, 14k miles, Carbon Buckets, sold for $175, so $180k on 7/5/23.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...911-gt3-rs-45/

I sent those to the seller of my local Lava RS, and he cordially told me, good luck finding the car right for me.

Last edited by Indyxc; 09-05-2023 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-06-2023, 12:16 AM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 409 Posts

Indy - good stuff. Enjoying following your search. I’ve had cars show up. Sometimes wife not happy. With the RS I actually took a lot longer and so she was well aware. Funny enough, she loved the car and especially Lava. She saw an UV car and said no way. I stayed quiet, actually like the UV but no sense rocking the boat when she liked the car in general. I’m any case, it is always interesting to see how people react to these GT cars.

Old 09-06-2023, 07:20 AM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

Received 587 Likes on 260 Posts

I sent those to the seller of my local Lava RS, and he cordially told me, good luck finding the car right for me.
unsolicited advice from someone who has gone through all these mental masturbations before.

You need to be intellectually honest with yourself and with dealers. You basically want to buy a commodity in what is still a very strong market. There is only so low these can sell at a profit from dealer.

Would you really buy from an online auction site? If so, those comps for scratch and dent cars is relevant. If not, you need to appreciate BaT is still effectively a wholesale car selling platform, that has some adventurous retail bidders on as well. No dealer really cares about those comps. They care about other dealer prices for comparable cars, and their cost basis on that car.

As much as people complain about car dealers, most know what they are doing. If you find a great deal (in this market), there's a reason. Is that the type of car you want? Maybe.

Be intentional. Decide what's important to you, and then focus only on cars that meet all your "must haves", are in the condition you want, and have a history you are comfortable with. You'll find once you do that, most cars are actually pretty similarly priced (with a few high price outliers). Then find your favorite 1-2 cars and begin negotiating.

The following 4 users liked this post by atlrvr:
hjz (09-06-2023), HpIzKing (09-06-2023), Indyxc (09-06-2023), Manifold (09-06-2023)

Quick Reply: The 991 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...