Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Supercharger Kit Development

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Carl, I just pointed out to John what was going on, he wasn't aware. John's OMFG pretty much sums it up. Disgraceful doesn't begin to describe it. Knowing the set up will never be as good as yours is one comfort, and the end run epic fail to Raptor is hilarious!
Old 11-30-2009, 04:40 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

just got off the phone with Carl who was kind enough to take a lot of time with me with some brake questions and a few other subjects from his vast perspective... talk to him and you will learn something new every time. He is a class act...

pirates should be reported to Rennlist and banned... and keep a pie handy for their bogus rides.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Where did you get that steering wheel? I love it ! Really modernizes the interior !
Old 11-30-2009, 06:11 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Standard 968 head gasket running fine on my 968 turbo with 15psi boost.....
Old 11-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl Fausett
We have an installation going into an S2 that is fitted with a 968 engine in the next few months.
Great news! This will answer a lot of questions about the first half of the problem, physical fitment arrangement.

The second (probably not as difficult) problem will have to wait until an S2 with a stock S2 engine is adapted... getting suitable modern injectors for the S2 may be a challenge, for example -- actually, thats two separate problems since the S2 changed injectors half-way through 1990.

One step at a time though... looking forward to seeing the results.

On a different note: It doesn't surprise me that most of your customers at this stage are from overseas. Two obvious reasons a) The US dollar is low at the moment, making everything in US dollars a relative bargain, and b) 968s (and the 944 series generally) are much more expensive overseas than in the US. In Australia, for example, a good order 968 still commands $30K+, and a good order S2 $20K-30K. These cars will also be better maintained than the average US model, simply because it's easier to justify spending money on a $30K car than it is on a $10K car. So I think your kit is natural fit for many potential buyers in the international market, and it is understandable this is where your early orders are coming from.

Last edited by Mark944na86; 11-30-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:59 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

search "Carrera GT carbon fiber steering wheel..." or "porsche 996 carbon fiber steering wheel," "996 carbon steering wheel," etc... mccarbon, ebay or LA Porsche dismantlers are good sources.

this particular wheel and leather bag can be pricey. just keep checking on ebay... it took me 3 months of searching and losing to finally win and i got my wheel and bag for less than a thousand dollars... you will also need a 996 clockspring. my bag was $150 less because it was grey, and nobody wants grey bags... i matched it with the black, carbon fiber wheel using SEM black vinyl dye, by thorougly cleaning and prepping the bag and applying the dye in three ultra-light coats . my mechanic, Jerry in Natick, Mass thought i was pulling his chain about changing the color on the bag. its permanent...

the wheel required boring of 1/8" on the inside of the wheel hub, and 1/4" had to be removed from the wheel on the outside of the hub in order to remove only the minimum in order to allow the hub to safely clear the shaft [the 968 shaft extends from the clockspring by exactly 7/16" inch less than the 996 shaft].

a few additional mods to the 996 clockspring were necessary in order for it to connect to the 968 wiring, and the additional ground wire from the 996 clockspring had to be grounded at the firewall.

./
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2009, 01:00 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...n-the-bay.html

at this moment about $1,100 below retail.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:25 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Damian:

I'd like to see your PM response to John. I betcha I could add to it!

All:

The unscrupulous firm that is ripping-off our design now first contacted our supercharger manufacturer and attempted to buy the same SC head unit we use direct from them. We are the sole North American dealer for Raptor, and the manufacturer declined to sell them units at my price.

Since then, this firm has now stated they will be building their kit with a Rotrex supercharger.
A nice unit for bottom end, but it does not have as high of adiabatic efficiency as the Raptor.
This will make the installation of an aftercooler mandatory for the safety of the high-compression 968 engine.

Ultimately, expect a higher kit price and lower performance at the mid-to-top end.
Yikes! I mentioned Rotrex, and the devil appeared...
No association with said unscrupulous firm. Also will probably reconsider my DIY approach. Can SOMEONE on the same continent as Carl get their S2 to him please????
Old 12-01-2009, 06:24 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

"OMFG."

Yeah, you know it's a 968 discussion when there's lots of this kind of talk and little technical info. Sometimes I want to sell the 968s just to get away from all of the BS, barn the cars or something, but then the terrorists would win.

Last edited by FRporscheman; 12-01-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:20 PM
rdhayward
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
Of course, I'm never surprised by some people in the community who lack ethics.
Reminds me of a paper I wrote on business ethics in grad school (1992). The last sentence was: "Ethics are cool, but a suitcase full of money will change anybody's mind."

Back to the topic. I applaud Carl's efforts whole-heartedly and hope he sells enough of these to make it worth his while. I learned that the devious f**ks (folks? lol) on the "other forum" closed a discussion thread on his kit while they developed their own.

Disgusting. Not surprising, just disgusting.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:04 PM
austex
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where was Carl when I had my 968, Major kudos to the work done here. Looks like you guys have something to really get these cars grunting, finally. Its guys like this that need your support.

It's a shame to see the same things are still going on with the owner of the other forum and a shop that I wont name here, it certinally brings back some bad and very disapointing memories for me. Carl i wish you all the best, If i still had a 968 I would be into this for sure, thankfully the car I drive now already has a big blower on it.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:09 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The unscrupulous firm that is ripping-off our design now first contacted our supercharger manufacturer and attempted to buy the same SC head unit we use direct from them. We are the sole North American dealer for Raptor, and the manufacturer declined to sell them units at my price.
Carl, I have heard nothing but great things about your products and support. I know it's easy to say, but, don't worry per se about that other enterprise. Please keep all of us posted on the progress. I am very curious to see the results myself. Keep this endeavor going for the community.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:39 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

+1 for support of Carl. I can't believe that the 968 community, as small as it is, incurs so much drama at the hands of a couple of ego driven jackasses. I seldom visit the other forum, and just put it on permanent ban status, as I refuse to patronize anything that has to do with such unscrupulous folks.

Carl, thank you for your hard work and to the members of Rennlist that frequent this site, help us build a better database of 968 knowledge here, so that 968 owners have a decent place to call home. Theres plenty of very nice and knowledgable 968 owners around, lets not let the few bad apples ruin it for eveyone else.

Regards,

Regards,
Old 12-05-2009, 02:31 AM
lsinlv
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

dear lord! gone for one week and now I am seeing these posts.

Have no fear Carl! there are those of us in the Community who support companies and people like you....it's a small community and shenannigans like what we are hearing are not kept secret for too long and there are repercussions for actions like these.

I will be buying you STG II kit early next year.

Last edited by lsinlv; 12-05-2009 at 02:32 AM. Reason: added comment
Old 12-07-2009, 08:51 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carl:

I see there is a 968 SC that you guys did for sale on Ebay. I just found this today. The ad states, "This 968 was purchased by 928 Motorsports LLC as a model for development of a supercharger kit for the Porsche 968."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...fCarsQ5fTrucks

Quick Reply: 968 Supercharger Kit Development