Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that from today!?!?!?!?

Give me some snow tyres and chains :-)
Old 02-06-2012, 11:10 AM
cuse92
Instructor

Well, I know that no-one was exactly waiting in suspense on this (other than me!), but I'm afraid I'm officially not going to make the trip (sounds like Spa was fully booked anyway). The finish date on my car keeps getting pushed back because of delays in getting my new rear calipers, which is delaying getting the car on the rolling road and new engine tuned, etc (selling my old calipers before the new ones arrived turned out to be overly optimistic when it comes to Porsche delivery times). The new calipers are now not supposed to be here until the first week of March, so my revised expected collection date is in mid-to-late March followed by a breaking-in period. And the delivery date for the rear calipers has been pushed back at least four times that I am aware of, so it is entirely possible if not probable that it will get delayed yet again... so, I'll just need to be ready for the next trip...

Have a great time and will hopefully see most of you this summer at the 964 London events. Even if I'm on foot

And so a two-month build has turned into seven months...
Old 02-06-2012, 07:45 PM
1971 911T
Instructor

Would anyone who is not going because of costs, consider taking me(US tourist) along. if I pay half, you get to go, I get a few laps, we both win? just floating this idea to see if it could work. please PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:25 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1971 911T
Would anyone who is not going because of costs, consider taking me(US tourist) along. if I pay half, you get to go, I get a few laps, we both win? just floating this idea to see if it could work. please PM.
If you can get yourself over here you're more than welcome to join the party. I'm not sure how the logistics would work..maybe fly in to Heathrow, take a train to the channel port, jump on board one of our 964s for the trip over, do Spa with us on the Saturday, jump in with one of the guys on Sunday for the 'ring, back to Britain on Monday with us and then fly home? Have a think about it.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

for those of you going to the 'ring on the Sunday.....it's snowing in Melton as I type this, but doesn't make me want to rush out in the 964.....been there done that anyway...but not around the 'ring!

Couldn't figure out how to enbed....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-Dkys6csRws
Old 02-09-2012, 08:45 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

You guys are having just too much fun, it's probably not legal. I wish the timing were just a month earlier - I would make plans to join you (and perhaps buy a round or two of refreshing beverages). I will be on a business trip in Madrid and then Munich/Stuttgart, and am making some plans to hang around for a bit.
Have Fun, Be Safe. (green with envy...)
Old 02-10-2012, 05:27 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DWS964
You guys are having just too much fun, it's probably not legal. I wish the timing were just a month earlier - I would make plans to join you (and perhaps buy a round or two of refreshing beverages). I will be on a business trip in Madrid and then Munich/Stuttgart, and am making some plans to hang around for a bit.
Have Fun, Be Safe. (green with envy...)
Didn't you post somewhere that you have a meeting with a client somewhere in near Malmady about the time we're in Spa?
Old 02-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just been watching videos from the Ring on youtube... must say I'm getting a little nervous again... it's those bloody crash videos!

I've got the view to take it very easy - although that can't stop your ricers redecorating your car....

Any pearls of wisdom and confidence inspiring words from those who have been would be appreciated!

Originally Posted by cuse92

And so a two-month build has turned into seven months...
Sorry to hear that buddy - I'm sure when it's all done it'll be awesome! You'll be missed! Can't believe that waiting time - I just ordered some 993 Turbo front callipers and they've been dispatched. Must be the rears on back order.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:24 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Any pearls of wisdom and confidence inspiring words from those who have been would be appreciated!
The normal, very sensible advice for first timers is to drive it like a fast A road. Ensure you have a passenger to watch your mirrors and let others pass as soon as you see them (keep right and get your indicator on). As soon as you get to 100 mph on any stretch, hold it there. Don't be tempted to go any faster. You're only there to experience it, forget about posting any lap times.

By sticking to the above you'll have time to react as required. Although there won't be anything coming the other way, there's lots of blind corners and there could be an incident hiding just out of sight.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by boxsey911
The normal, very sensible advice for first timers is to drive it like a fast A road. Ensure you have a passenger to watch your mirrors and let others pass as soon as you see them (keep right and get your indicator on). As soon as you get to 100 mph on any stretch, hold it there. Don't be tempted to go any faster. You're only there to experience it, forget about posting any lap times.

By sticking to the above you'll have time to react as required. Although there won't be anything coming the other way, there's lots of blind corners and there could be an incident hiding just out of sight.
Cheers Steve - good content there! Hadn't thought of the passenger/ look out idea.

Yup it seems to be blind corners that catch people out. Trouble is it's not like any other track, you can't remember/ teach yourself all the bends - there are so many! Doesn't mean I won't try - guess I should start studying now!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:09 AM
jamest
Instructor

Beware of differing grip levels around the circuit especially in the wet! It's well worth watching videos and also playing some of the simulations to get an idea of where the circuit goes but they don't show you the surface or camber changes. One corner will surprise you with the amount of grip available which builds your confidence going into the next one where you might find there is very little grip - this is magnified in the wet. As Steve says, drive it as you would a fast road that you are driving for the first time.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:54 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by jamest
Beware of differing grip levels around the circuit especially in the wet! It's well worth watching videos and also playing some of the simulations to get an idea of where the circuit goes but they don't show you the surface or camber changes. One corner will surprise you with the amount of grip available which builds your confidence going into the next one where you might find there is very little grip - this is magnified in the wet. As Steve says, drive it as you would a fast road that you are driving for the first time.
Good tips James - thanks! Interesting about the patches of grip, guess it makes sense on a track that big!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:58 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boxsey911

I had my passenger watch out for me the first time......sage advice as always from Boxsey !

Originally Posted by jamest
Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Good tips James - thanks! Interesting about the patches of grip, guess it makes sense on a track that big!
At nearly 20Km in length with multiple resurfacing areas of differing grip, bits between/beheath tree cover (where it stays wet and slippery) and fast open bits it's a challenge alright, but as James says only use sims to give you an idea of where the track goes......but even they do not prepare you for the constant onslaught of turns, cambers, compressions, rises, etc......

...remember there are no prizes given for the fastest crasher!

The only thing I'd say is to beware that lapping the ring can become very addictive....that's when the rice-racers tend to crash.....4-6 laps in when they think they know the place like the locals and they start to go for sub 9min times....

Quick Reply: London 964 - Nurburgring and Spa weekend 2012