Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Prices

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 01:48 PM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

So the entry level 964 is my cabriolet, beater coupes are now priced above my budget. Maybe you should buy a cab so you can drive with out worries, unfortunately repairs and part cost are the same for all.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:13 AM
Elegia
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralph3.
So the entry level 964 is my cabriolet, beater coupes are now priced above my budget. Maybe you should buy a cab so you can drive with out worries, unfortunately repairs and part cost are the same for all.
how much did you pay for your 964 cab if you dont mind me asking? and how many miles. manual or tip?
Old 01-13-2022, 04:05 PM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Elegia
how much did you pay for your 964 cab if you dont mind me asking? and how many miles. manual or tip?
Purchase price, too much or not enough depending upon your point of view. Currently 142K, 5 speed trans, 4th owner, records back to original owner, California car.
Always wanted an air-cooled 911, bid on and purchased this off of BAT in 2017.
Did everything wrong, bid on car without PPI or seeing car, did my research after purchase, found Rennlist and Pelican, started reading various books etc.
After some minor buyer's remorse, got a post purchase inspection with one of the top local air-cooled guys and started working through 10 years of deferred maintenance.

* Top end done by JW, fixing oil leaks, valve guides, chain guides, took engine down to the case fixed what need to be fixed.
* Fixed a variety of electrical issues, replacing rear blower motor, ignition switch, headlight switch and combination turn signal switch.
* Fixed airbag/ seatbelt lights sending clock to Seattle Speedometer, replaced speedometer gears at same time.
* Replaced D90's with Cup 2's new tires, since replaced with Cup 1 replicas.
* Replaced original shocks with B6's and H&R springs and other suspension parts, got a alignment at a local performance shop.
* Fixed remaining oil drips by replacing oil lines, side and rear and new oil cooler.
* Addition upgrades , H5 to H4's, relay kit for H4's, new radio, deleted bumperettes, added city lights etc.

My two cents based upon my experiences.

Do your research first, buy what you want and don't buy thinking it's an investment.
I am under water on my car, its now much better than when first acquired.
I have had fun with the car and joining the greater Porsche community.
There are no cheap Porsches.

Good Luck and have fun with your search.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ralph3.:
964Luftballoon (01-13-2022), smceo (01-15-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 07:35 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 185 Posts

1990 with 182k miles and not stock, but maybe some provenance?, $82,964 with fees.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ign=2022-01-13

Clean 3.3l turbo for $355k with fees. There goes that dream….
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ign=2022-01-13
Old 01-14-2022, 06:06 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

I think that red car would have done more with Cup 1's, stock seats and deckld.
The following users liked this post:
stijn_b (01-17-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 06:19 PM
georgej
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas993
I think that red car would have done more with Cup 1's, stock seats and deckld.
I commented during the listing about nice car (blah blah blah) and going back to D90's, mechanical wing, and factory seats. Given it is otherwise stock why not put it proper. It was still good money given 182k miles. Sales like this reaffirm my belief that 911's are more resistant to mileage depreciation than most cars that have an odometer. With that in mind I am going to close my laptop and go drive my C2.
Vegas993 (01-16-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 06:39 PM
Dubbed743
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by georgej
I commented during the listing about nice car (blah blah blah) and going back to D90's, mechanical wing, and factory seats. Given it is otherwise stock why not put it proper. It was still good money given 182k miles. Sales like this reaffirm my belief that 911's are more resistant to mileage depreciation than most cars that have an odometer. With that in mind I am going to close my laptop and go drive my C2.
I think something worth mentioning is how many "low mile" 911s have had their odometer tampered with... Obviously this is felony fraud, but unfortunately that doesn't stop dishonest people.

A low odometer reading without corroboration through period supplemental documentation to back it up isn't worth much in my eyes.

As always, Caveat Emptor when dealing with an unknown/undocumented car. I'll stop there before I crash the market

Last edited by Dubbed743; 01-14-2022 at 06:47 PM.
stijn_b (01-17-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 06:25 PM
Shopcat
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobalt
I am helping a friend with one of the US spec cup cars. The car Porsche tried to sweep under the rug. So little was known until recently except by a small few and they are finally getting recognized for what they are. I like saying this it is one of 4 of 29 of 45. This being one of the 4 parts cars out of the 29 track converted cars, so it has the ANDIAL built motor and 4 puck clutch which puts it up around 275hp and you feel it. IMO these cars are highly undervalued if you can find a nice one. Although since there are only 4 in this configuration it isn't easy to come by making them quite unique. Essentially an RS with more power and a little more weight minus some of the features like thin rear glass and magnesium cups but has all the right stuff and is IMO far more rare and someday maybe recognized for its true uniqueness. It has some things being addressed but with 25k miles and US legal it is a rare treat to help out with. I find these unicorns fascinating seeing what the factory did. It makes sense why the factory dumbed down the C2 for street but the seam welded tub added power and short gears makes for a fun unique experience.
So what is something like this valued at right now? About the same as the RS?
Old 01-17-2022, 01:45 AM
Dubbed743
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

New record every day https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-carrera-4-50/
stijn_b (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 08:55 AM
stijn_b
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

What strikes me on the values is that not that long ago here in the EU, many people who wanted an affordable classic went looking in the US because prices were better than the EU, imported from sunny states they often had much less rust as well. Right now I see a very strong US market and a weaker EU market. Prices in the EU have gone up but not at the pace of prices in the US.

What could be the reason of this? Why don't I see more "EU imports" in the US? Having an intl. company as well, worldwide shipping isn't crazy expensive these days.

In the EU I often feel there is a fear for regulations concerning older cars. For example, I won't be able to enter cities with my 964 in Belgium starting from 2024. And I'm an exception, many oldtimers already can't enter.

Why is the US in such an uptrend?
Old 01-17-2022, 09:10 AM
dmaddox
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 96 Posts

Our genius president is driving inflation through the roof and people no matter where they are, are impatient. To quote Veruca Salt, “I want it now.” Waiting for anything right now has people in straight jackets.

sorry, rough morning. I’m usually a bit more cheery.
stijn_b (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 09:17 AM
stijn_b
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaddox
Our genius president is driving inflation through the roof and people no matter where they are, are impatient. To quote Veruca Salt, “I want it now.” Waiting for anything right now has people in straight jackets.

Haha no worries. I'm aware of the "I want it now" trend. I'm also a watch collector and it's a trend I've noticed the last 3/4 years with watches as well (apart from many people buying watches as an investment now..., shortages and hype) but that trend is more worldwide. The classic 911 market skyrocketing is mainly US located. No clue on the values of other classics as my main interest lies with Porsche.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:40 AM
Jmw1234
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaddox

The president is driving inflation? Which one? Clinton w nafta & outsourcing? Bush 1/2 when they failed to foresee dependence on foreign manufacturing/ trump w his tariffs picking a fight w China

And no. Not people everywhere are impatient

No discussion of aging demographic with great wealth/ money printing by central bankers/ basically zero Percent financing/ speculation/scarcity

Thanks for your genius analysis

Old 01-17-2022, 10:01 AM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 138 Posts

That's a perfect 964 example. Hard to find even 20 years ago. Glad to see that buyer spend his cash wisely. Many of these auctions show 964's with super thick paint and uneducated buyers.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:56 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by Shopcat
So what is something like this valued at right now? About the same as the RS?
It is hard to say. It is one of 4 parts cars. One of 29 that went to Andial and had engine and clutch work and one of the 45 cup cars. Essentially an RS in US spec. It just shows you Porsche could have imported the RS if they wanted to. It has RS value since it is essentially an RS with a slightly tweaked engine. The issue is Porsche did a good job sweeping these under the carpet so they aren't known by many. IMO if this was more recognized I would put a value above RS since they have a story to tell that one day will be worth a premium. I think they are just coming to light now and will take off if things continue as they do so probably one of the few investment C2's remaining. Just as the turbo S's had no major value above a standard turbo 15-20 years ago. My friend picked up his perfect turbo S for $70k back in the day.

Originally Posted by Dubbed743
That is crazy money for a 90 C4.

Appears to be original paint but the underside looks a bit grimmy and wear I am normally used to seeing on higher mileage cars. Nice car but I suspect it will need some work.

Originally Posted by Scott Dunavant
That's a perfect 964 example. Hard to find even 20 years ago. Glad to see that buyer spend his cash wisely. Many of these auctions show 964's with super thick paint and uneducated buyers.
20 years ago I could have found you a nicer C2 with no stories for $19k. I call that far from perfect but nice car. Although most all 964's by this point have had some paintwork. All depends on the quality of the workmanship. BaT seems to be selling far better cars these days than it did a few years back.

Last edited by cobalt; 01-17-2022 at 10:58 AM.

Quick Reply: 964 Prices