Sponsored by:

964 Prices

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 10:34 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigsix964
Thought the guy who spent $220k+ on a WB was the fool but someone just blew $124k + fees on a plain old C2 thereby proving that you are all in a contest to out-idiot one another.

At what point do you just trade for a 997 C2/6 and walk away the winner? I’m beginning to think I know what that point feels like...
Agree 100%.
This was the BAT effect at it highest. There was nothing special at all about that car besides some pretty extensive recent maintenance. That, a well respected seller and the usual idiot bat fanboys in the comments pushed this thing way over what it should have sold for. Hurd mentality at its finest and a buyer with more money than brains.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lorenzoh:
notfastenough (01-18-2022), nowata (12-08-2021)
Old 12-07-2021, 11:57 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 138 Posts

With the new Wealthy Hip Crews of 2021. It’s the price it takes to become part of the Aircooled Club,... “in their minds”.
The following 2 users liked this post by Scott Dunavant:
notfastenough (01-18-2022), nowata (12-08-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 12:43 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

Haggerty, LOL.
Old 12-15-2021, 04:08 PM
dmaddox
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 96 Posts

"the contest to out-idiot one another." While I am sure to those that bought their cars years back, for pennies on today's dollar, you probably feel this way. Going further, to those that have owned several (Pcars and models) you know of many other options for the money. However, I don't think the hate on people spending money on these things is healthy - especially when the majority of them come here after winning to share and bask in the realization of their dream. "Welcome, dumbass." Or "swinging richard" as the guy was called recently. I felt bad for the dude.

Are you a dumb *** for investing in Amazon stock? nearly 3400 bucks a share? Christmas three years ago it was about 1k. Yet, your investment portfolio has some in it. A plain ol' amazon share.

Haters will hate, as they say, but come on guys. We can go on and on about the supply/demand argument.....social media driven FOMO (fear of missing out on something) and the further marketing of high-end builders and parts suppliers? Before you know it the 964 is dripping with sexy and then you go to try and find one. Well, good luck as they say.

So, if the next "idot" or "swinging richard" drops 180K on a "plain ol' C2" - you don't know their story, don't be asses to them. That's what the 964 stock is trading for, and if you have one - congrats....and if you don't....keep saving. Just seems pretty uncool to pass judgement on someone for spending 10 bucks on something you bought for 1.

/shrug
The following 4 users liked this post by dmaddox:
No_snivelling (12-16-2021), Odin (12-26-2021), smceo (12-18-2021), wru (12-16-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 04:33 PM
georgej
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaddox
"the contest to out-idiot one another." While I am sure to those that bought their cars years back, for pennies on today's dollar, you probably feel this way. Going further, to those that have owned several (Pcars and models) you know of many other options for the money. However, I don't think the hate on people spending money on these things is healthy - especially when the majority of them come here after winning to share and bask in the realization of their dream. "Welcome, dumbass." Or "swinging richard" as the guy was called recently. I felt bad for the dude.

Are you a dumb *** for investing in Amazon stock? nearly 3400 bucks a share? Christmas three years ago it was about 1k. Yet, your investment portfolio has some in it. A plain ol' amazon share.

Haters will hate, as they say, but come on guys. We can go on and on about the supply/demand argument.....social media driven FOMO (fear of missing out on something) and the further marketing of high-end builders and parts suppliers? Before you know it the 964 is dripping with sexy and then you go to try and find one. Well, good luck as they say.

So, if the next "idot" or "swinging richard" drops 180K on a "plain ol' C2" - you don't know their story, don't be asses to them. That's what the 964 stock is trading for, and if you have one - congrats....and if you don't....keep saving. Just seems pretty uncool to pass judgement on someone for spending 10 bucks on something you bought for 1.

/shrug
I agree with your sentiments exactly. You and I are both relatively new to the 964 "club". I was on the club waiting list for a couple of years so clearly this is a exclusive club. The thing is we members all have the same love in common so a more welcoming tone would be nice. I joined a private men's club thirty years ago and now the fee to join now is four times what it was then, must be the nature of clubs (joking of course).
The following users liked this post:
dmaddox (12-15-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 05:11 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 84 Posts

Gentrification!

Jokes........ jokes.......
dmaddox (12-16-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 06:11 PM
revolve40
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 90 Posts

Yeah I'm often surprised to hear 964 owners scoff at market prices. Typically holders of appreciating assets aren't the ones complaining / throwing rocks.
dmaddox (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 09:55 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,312 Posts

I think the point that is being missed is the trend seems to be buy anything at any price. Maybe money is disposable to them but people like that come and go quite often around here over the decades for a reason. Quick money usually burns out and then they unload. This time maybe different but these trends have repeated themselves over and over for a long time.

There are 964's worth spending up for and many that aren't worth their selling price. Heck if being a C2 Coupe is all it takes I guess I need to reconsider my cars value as they are all pristine when I am done vs most of these cars needing far too much work or have some seriously hidden skeletons. I have been around Porsche's for 45 years now switched my focus from all years & models to the 964 back in early 2000. It has always been my favorite of the air-cooled cars after driving all of them and owning most at one time or another.

These are cars and I have always said if you are buying as an investment you better have deep pockets to weather out any bumps in the road or better yet plan on holding onto them for some time. Yes people are gobbling these up at any price but do they realize what they are buying? I have helped many here and locally to me buy these and I have found although most have some semblance at what makes one better than another it is rare that any buyer has a clue to what they are in store for until after they start getting their first series of multi thousand dollar bills. It is rare that even people with the deepest pockets don't get upset when they find the car needs as much as it does.

We take a chance on purchasing any of these without a thorough PPI. I have seen many BaT cars over the years and some have cost the owners more than double the buy in on repairs because the car looked OK. That original paint actually meters 29 Mils in places or is consuming oil at a rate of 1 quart every 250 miles.

As Sy SIms used to say "An Educated consumer is their best customer." If you buy these cars blindly you can end up with another $50k or more on the bill and I don't know about you but that is a big hit to take when you already dropped 6 figures on a car and still haven't addressed the cosmetic issues which might be lurking.

dmaddox (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 10:22 AM
dmaddox
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 96 Posts

Very good points - and I agree with every one of them. I have been on both sides of the spectrum, educated purchases and also a "wtf did I just do?". Where I was going, is that I didn't feel it was cool to trash on people (even if they were blindly buying anything at any price, riddled with issues) when a good number of them come here after the purchase. Is it the wisest allocation of capital to blindly (the uneducated consumer) to sling 150k on a tired, boned out C2? Probably not. It also creates false inflation, as you pointed out they dump after they deal with the third or fourth 10k bill.

I'm also not trying to be a Nancy here and "be nice" you all. It does suck, however....to know that you've been swindled by a clever marketing campaign, or caught in the hype of an auction (with tabs open on your browser....Car Bone, Singer, Rennline, whatever else that has you all giddy). . .to have your peers dog on you.

I remember a few years back walking out of "the art of shaving" with 150.00 in shaving crap. When I got home I saw my Mach 3 sitting there....that's worked fine for the last several years...and realized that I was sucked into a clever marketing campaign with foofy oils....Yeah, I returned it all the next day. Luckily, I could. But, I was sure feeling like a "Dapper Dan Man" when the pitch was going on.....

What is dangerous (for me, perhaps others) is having restored several cars over the years (only 1 Porsche, a 1968), doing all but the machine work on my own and that confidence led me to blindly purchase a 964. While I am lucky that what arrived out of the back of the truck was perfectly represented, with only some bushings and small bits to replace - it was reckless of me to drop 85k, over 90k after shipping and taxes.... on a car I'd not even seen! Very lucky it wasn't the art of shaving all over again, and I absolutely LOVE this plain ol C2...she screams...and now I know, what to do and not to!
Old 12-16-2021, 12:49 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 989 Likes on 645 Posts

i think the stock reference is a great one. would you question someone who buys Apple today versus someone who might have bought it in 1995 or 2005 or 2015? markets are what they are and they fluctuate - all of them. right now, we're at a relative peak, which may or may not continue, but none of us know either way. i would also hate to buy right now and then see that my purchase was ridiculed on RL before i got here. some of us made great decisions, some of us bought on the upward curve, and some of us are buying now - for whatever personal reason that might be. the bottom line is, we're all enjoying the same exact model of porsche. some of us just got here a bit earlier and likely for a smaller entrance fee.
it's the same experience and enjoyment, no matter when you bought it.
The following 4 users liked this post by rsabeebe:
2000m2 (12-16-2021), dmaddox (12-16-2021), No_snivelling (12-16-2021), SR20Fastback (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 01:05 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 146 Posts

Not sure why hating on someone for sparing no expense when they could afford to. It's good for all of us who have one sitting in the garage. I was surprised at the price for a car with 2K more miles than mine has on the odometer. But so what, it wasn't me writing the check.

And to Cobalt, nice reference to Sy Syms. There was a Syms not to far from where I grew up in Maryland. I was probably dragged in there by my mother as a kid. LOL
Old 12-16-2021, 01:13 PM
964TURBOCHAS
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Here we go with a rare RSA….200k already
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-porsche-911-4/
Old 12-16-2021, 01:20 PM
Soup
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

If you guys need to ridicule, I sold my locally-owned 81k mile cobalt blue on blue 91 C4 for $30k in 2015
964TURBOCHAS (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 02:11 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 989 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by 964TURBOCHAS
Here we go with a rare RSA….200k already
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-porsche-911-4/
only 4 RSAs were built in Fly Yellow. combine that with 19k miles and you have a rare bird.
964TURBOCHAS (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 03:26 PM
Bigsix964
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Apologies for that post. I don’t ever intend to be anything but kind to people I don’t know, and it wasn’t necessary.

“Appreciating asset”, Amazon, Apple - all about ROI. That’s the ethos I don’t get with. Unfortunately in this market it’s unwise to ignore value no matter how you feel.

There are surely people buying now and driving the heck out of them, that’s great. I am not hating on having the money. And as was said, I shouldn’t judge how anyone uses theirs.

Last edited by Bigsix964; 12-16-2021 at 03:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bigsix964:
964TURBOCHAS (12-16-2021), dmaddox (12-16-2021)

Quick Reply: 964 Prices