Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 12:43 PM
Krazykay
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got in contact with IABED. Here are the fitting sizes/threads for the ports.

1. 10-AN – this is a channel so I could machine . It has been plugged.
2. M14 x 1.5 coolant feed for a turbocharger or what have you.
3. M10 x 1.0 for the OEM oil pressure sender
4. M16 x 1.5 – another plug to create a machineable channel. Typically you can use an M16 x 1.5 to 4-An for turbocharger oil feed but pulling off the head is MUCH easier and shorter.
5. 8-AN (But it has an 8-An to 10-An union) – this goes to your catch can if you have one.
Old 01-18-2023, 10:19 AM
TonyD00
7th Gear

It looks like a lot of folks are using 400-450hp as their goal. In achieving this goal what CR do you recommend on pump gas and which forged pistons/rods are folks using? Also, are you seeing a need to upgrade valves/springs above stock during the rebuild?

It feels like the 944 community is doing more with this motor then the VW community. Having trouble finding motor builds on their forums.

Last edited by TonyD00; 01-18-2023 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-18-2023, 11:42 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyD00
It looks like a lot of folks are using 400-450hp as their goal. In achieving this goal what CR do you recommend on pump gas and which forged pistons/rods are folks using? Also, are you seeing a need to upgrade valves/springs above stock during the rebuild?

It feels like the 944 community is doing more with this motor then the VW community. Having trouble finding motor builds on their forums.
I talked to some guys with great experience, I'm going for a 9.5 Cr.
Ferrea or supertech valvetrain.
Catcams camshaft, DP motorsport pistons and rods.
Gtx35g2 turbo, 600whp and 8000rpm on pump gas.
Ttrs crank.
Old 01-20-2023, 12:47 PM
EastEnd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyD00

Originally Posted by ealoken
I talked to some guys with great experience, I'm going for a 9.5 Cr.
Ferrea or supertech valvetrain.
Catcams camshaft, DP motorsport pistons and rods.
Gtx35g2 turbo, 600whp and 8000rpm on pump gas.
Ttrs crank.
I would say the other side of that coin is a setup such as my own. I was concerned about compression ratio and building the motor initially, now not so much. I have yet to put it on a dyno though.

Although I wasn't going for 600whp or 8k redline (my stock na trans would be ripped to shreds anyway)
$350 shipped, ebay 2012 Jetta motor with 40k on it. Replaced head gasket, front and rear main seals, + any seals involved in installation.
Put the kit on along with a G25-660 and have been running 17/18psi of boost with 93 pump gas. I like to throw in an octane booster sometimes to be safe, but have yet to send a piston to the moon without doing so. No crank, pistons, rods, bearings, cams, springs, etc.

I wanted to build the engine up but didn't have the time or cash to do so from the start. My logic has been see how a mostly stock setup performs, and if it can't handle the power I'd like to put down then I may be forced to upgrade. Haven't been forced to yet. At this point I'm confident that if I did blow up my current setup, I would just buy another $350 engine and spend the weekend in the garage (as long as the swap parts remain undamaged). So far I have no signs of it giving up though. If the engine I'm currently running ends up in the scrap yard, I'll be sure to update. Definitely not saying it's the right or even close to best way of going about it, the thing could decide to send a rod through the block tomorrow. However in my experience this engine is surprisingly durable.

So far the only way I was able to kill a 07K was by driving 40 miles home with no accessory belt and cook the engine.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:45 PM
Sixline
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixline
07K105101P

I just noticed these are super cheap now, less than $500. I am going to guess discontinued. I ordered one to see what they say.

https://www.audioemparts.com/oem-par...aft-07k105101p
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ft/07k105101p/
It showed up this week. It was $365 shipped!

Old 02-05-2023, 09:27 PM
Pdh
Advanced

Hi, does someone know how the oil port on the head of the engine is accessed for a turbo oil feed? As well as the size of the fitting.

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2023, 10:57 PM
Sixline
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pdh
Hi, does someone know how the oil port on the head of the engine is accessed for a turbo oil feed? As well as the size of the fitting.

Thanks.
Remove the plug on the front and use whatever plumbing you want. It is 10x1.0mm. Typically a banjo bolt is used with a banjo to AN line. Like this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all46440-21

Old 02-12-2023, 06:36 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I'd run the turbo feed from the filter block. There have been concerns of the head port not supplying enough pressure at high RPMs.
Old 02-27-2023, 07:28 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 492 Posts

SOLD

Last edited by V2Rocket; 03-07-2023 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-06-2023, 05:32 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Is there another source for the TOB adapter fitting listed as being made by Kappadapt? Part no. CHK101-2

Their website doesn't seem to exist anymore so I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to be looking for to find an alternative.
Old 03-06-2023, 11:02 PM
EastEnd944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese
Is there another source for the TOB adapter fitting listed as being made by Kappadapt? Part no. CHK101-2

Their website doesn't seem to exist anymore so I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to be looking for to find an alternative.
Interesting... That makes things a little more challenging.

You're looking for a hydraulic line adapter for a GM/Pontiac Solstice GXP clutch slave cylinder/TOB to AN. Did a quick search and found quite a few results, ranging from eBay and amazon, to an earl's adapter from Summit. I'd like to say you could use any GM clutch slave to AN adapter that you come across, but it seems that GM might have used a variety of sizes for the fitting on different cars. I can't be certain any of them will fit without measuring.

I was able to find what looks like a direct fit though, specifically for the Pontiac Solstice. If you have the TOB on hand and a set of calipers to measure the inlet, you could sort through the eBay listings that provide measurements. Otherwise I'd stick to any listing that specifically mentions the Solstice GXP.

Looking at the Solstice forum, seems you weren't the first to find a blank webpage.
Old 04-05-2023, 09:29 PM
J686
AutoX

Hi everyone,

First, I was hoping those of you who are running heat could give me your insight on how you routed and mounted your coolant lines and valve.
We're in the middle of trying to find the best place to mount a simple single in/out mechanical valve and where to run the hoses.

Finally, I'm looking for insight on how people ran their PS lines from pump to rack. I'm currently thinking of bypassing the PS cooler as this is car will be mainly a road going driver.
Arguments for keeping the cooler are welcome if it is deemed imperative to keep in the loop.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Chris.
Old 04-14-2023, 07:26 PM
Sixline
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EastEnd944
Interesting... That makes things a little more challenging.

You're looking for a hydraulic line adapter for a GM/Pontiac Solstice GXP clutch slave cylinder/TOB to AN. Did a quick search and found quite a few results, ranging from eBay and amazon, to an earl's adapter from Summit. I'd like to say you could use any GM clutch slave to AN adapter that you come across, but it seems that GM might have used a variety of sizes for the fitting on different cars. I can't be certain any of them will fit without measuring.

I was able to find what looks like a direct fit though, specifically for the Pontiac Solstice. If you have the TOB on hand and a set of calipers to measure the inlet, you could sort through the eBay listings that provide measurements. Otherwise I'd stick to any listing that specifically mentions the Solstice GXP.

Looking at the Solstice forum, seems you weren't the first to find a blank webpage.
@RoyaleWithCheese The eBay ones work fine. See my post here: https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...l#post16481139 Looks like a bunch of people are making them now too. https://www.ebay.com/itm/38538405233...item59baadf66f - $20

Originally Posted by J686
Hi everyone,

First, I was hoping those of you who are running heat could give me your insight on how you routed and mounted your coolant lines and valve.
We're in the middle of trying to find the best place to mount a simple single in/out mechanical valve and where to run the hoses.

Finally, I'm looking for insight on how people ran their PS lines from pump to rack. I'm currently thinking of bypassing the PS cooler as this is car will be mainly a road going driver.
Arguments for keeping the cooler are welcome if it is deemed imperative to keep in the loop.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Chris.
See my build thread in my signature for how I did my coolant lines. For power steering I kept the factory "cooler" loop and reservoir. I used metric to -6 AN adapters and AN hose to complete the loop from the rack. I used Fragola power steering fittings and hose for the high pressure side, they were a huge pain in the ***, wouldn't recommend.
Old 04-25-2023, 04:35 PM
HelloGoodLuck
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys,

I feel like I’m a bit in over my head on this build, so looking for some help to get me back on track. I have fuel and oil lines knocked out, and the block assembled. But, I'm stuck on both coolant and vacuum routing for an NA build. I’m open to retaining or deleting heat, whichever is easier. I have a stock 951 radiator, but happy to switch that out if it makes things easier. Here is an attempt at documenting what I think I should be doing for coolant, but would greatly appreciate feedback on where I'm wrong!

Old 04-26-2023, 10:28 PM
Sixline
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HelloGoodLuck
Hey guys,

I feel like I’m a bit in over my head on this build, so looking for some help to get me back on track. I have fuel and oil lines knocked out, and the block assembled. But, I'm stuck on both coolant and vacuum routing for an NA build. I’m open to retaining or deleting heat, whichever is easier. I have a stock 951 radiator, but happy to switch that out if it makes things easier. Here is an attempt at documenting what I think I should be doing for coolant, but would greatly appreciate feedback on where I'm wrong!
Here is the original post about how to do the coolant lines: https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...l#post16688235 You can also see my thread, in my signature, for how I did mine. I didn't like the 4-port value for various reasons.

The following users liked this post:
ealoken (04-27-2023)

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread