Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 05:22 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I'd imagine your numbers are reasonably close although I'd be surprised if you could get a mechanic to do the swap for $2k. I know that labour is cheap in the US but that seems a little too optimistic. Do those numbers include the new ECU, harnesses and tuning? Assuming you're still running the 968 gearbox? What driveshafts are you thinking of? I'd consider upgrading if you're running stock. Referring to the other option of a 2.5lt Porsche motor...you could achieve 400hp comfortably enough with one of those.
Old 12-17-2021, 04:03 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You're probably right about $2K being a little light for a mechanic to do the swap. The $9K estimate for the kit parts includes a standalone ECU, per Boost Brothers Garage's site. I am running a freshly rebuilt 968 gearbox, and I have a brand new torque tube with Black Sea's Super Bearings, so I'm definitely good to go in that department.

I suppose a 2.5K turbo would be a cheaper option, but I wouldn't imagine those engines being very easy to come by, especially since 951's are increasing in value, although I haven't ckecked availability.

Here's my motivation for this project: I just completed my first seasom competing in an arrive-and-drive series driving rented Radical SR1's at Atlanta Motorsports Park. The capability of these cars, understandably, vastly outpaces that of my 968 track car (and 99% of anything I've ever seen at any track, let alone driven), so, to better approximate the experience of the SR1, at least in the power-to-weight department, I'd need about 435 hp in my 968. I realize there's nothng I could do to the 968 to match the Radical's prodigous, neck-straining 1.9g cornering capability, but it would be nice to at least match the Radical's acceleration in my "practice car." So, would the 07K be expected to be more reliable, and have greater longevity, at this power level in a track application, or is it pretty much a toss-up between the 07K and a 435 hp 2.5l?

Last edited by Cloud9...68; 12-17-2021 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-20-2021, 02:16 PM
Pdh
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloud9...68
You're probably right about $2K being a little light for a mechanic to do the swap. The $9K estimate for the kit parts includes a standalone ECU, per Boost Brothers Garage's site. I am running a freshly rebuilt 968 gearbox, and I have a brand new torque tube with Black Sea's Super Bearings, so I'm definitely good to go in that department.

I suppose a 2.5K turbo would be a cheaper option, but I wouldn't imagine those engines being very easy to come by, especially since 951's are increasing in value, although I haven't ckecked availability.

Here's my motivation for this project: I just completed my first seasom competing in an arrive-and-drive series driving rented Radical SR1's at Atlanta Motorsports Park. The capability of these cars, understandably, vastly outpaces that of my 968 track car (and 99% of anything I've ever seen at any track, let alone driven), so, to better approximate the experience of the SR1, at least in the power-to-weight department, I'd need about 435 hp in my 968. I realize there's nothng I could do to the 968 to match the Radical's prodigous, neck-straining 1.9g cornering capability, but it would be nice to at least match the Radical's acceleration in my "practice car." So, would the 07K be expected to be more reliable, and have greater longevity, at this power level in a track application, or is it pretty much a toss-up between the 07K and a 435 hp 2.5l?
No one seems to know yet what the exact limits of the 07k is. Most turbo kits end at about 300 hp, but we also saw the numbers bbg got on the dyno. Since engine wear in the form of metal fatigue is exponential with respect to load, i figure thats why the kits are at 300 hp - 350hp being a semi reliable limit. What I decided to do is buy used vw mk6 gti pistons / audi b8 2.0t / rs3 / tt rs pistons (they are all the same with respect to production date) because they have a 21mm wrist pin versus 19mm on the stock 07k which is the weak point of this motor. If you look on forums theres all sorts of 2.0t engines running 350-400 ft/ib on 4 cylinders reliably, which translates to 440-500ib/ft on 5 cylinder, and with a 7400 rpm redline, thats 620-700hp at the engine for 250$ in connecting rods and pistons. You can also have absolute peace of mind and run 600hp like me. Just remember the frame of the car seems to bend above 700 hp (the 944s anyway), and if your engine comes with the cast crank I have been told to run below 450 ft/ib at the flywheel for reliability. Hope that helps

Last edited by Pdh; 12-20-2021 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-20-2021, 06:12 PM
Pdh
Advanced

On a side note if anyone needs a lamborghini header for their swap I have one for sale as I decided to go turbo instead of n/a. You can contact me here on rennlist or email me at pdh2409@gmail.com
Old 12-20-2021, 10:54 PM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

From our experience 400whp (500ish crank) is reliable on the street and track. That’s at 18 psi on a dynojet. Any more than 18 psi on all stock internals and we run octane booster and try to stay no more than 20-21 psi. 18 psi is more than enough on track for the tires you can stick under factory fenders. Unless you are a really seasoned driver at least.

IMO there is no comparison between the stock engine and an 07K. If you blow a stock internal 07K you can throw another one in for $300. You can do a budget build (rods and pistons, stock bore) and make 600 whp which will require lots of tire and aero to properly use. A decently built 2.5, 2.85, 3L etc is in the thousands. The initial cost is tough for some to swallow but it really future proofs your build.
Old 12-21-2021, 01:31 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Great inputs - thanks. I don't want or need more than 450 hp at the crank, but I'm struggling with the very low cost estimates for getting to this power level reliably in any engine, including an 07K. The turbo kit, machine work, head rebuild, new pistons, rods, and a forged crank (although there seems to be debate as to whether this is necessary, but I think I would get one for the peace of mind), tuning work, etc. would seem to easily push the cost to at least $15K, but I hope I'm wrong. I can see getting this level of power out of an 07K being cheaper than from a 2.5l stock engine because of the much higher initial cost of the latter, but then you have the cost of the swap kit with the 07K.

There's no denying the coolness factor, and the unique sound of the 5-cylinder swap, but is there anything in the 07K's design that makes it inherently more robust/reliable than a 2.5l 951 engine at the same 400-450 hp power level, given that the two engines have the same displacement? It was probably stated somewhere in this loooooong thread, but does the Porsche engine require higher levels of boost to achieve the same power compared to the 07K? I agree that 18 psi sounds like a very reasonable target to strike a good balance between power and longevity.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:18 PM
hinton
Racer

Great inputs - thanks. I don't want or need more than 450 hp at the crank, but I'm struggling with the very low cost estimates for getting to this power level reliably in any engine, including an 07K. The turbo kit, machine work, head rebuild, new pistons, rods, and a forged crank (although there seems to be debate as to whether this is necessary, but I think I would get one for the peace of mind), tuning work, etc. would seem to easily push the cost to at least $15K, but I hope I'm wrong. I can see getting this level of power out of an 07K being cheaper than from a 2.5l stock engine because of the much higher initial cost of the latter, but then you have the cost of the swap kit with the 07K.

There's no denying the coolness factor, and the unique sound of the 5-cylinder swap, but is there anything in the 07K's design that makes it inherently more robust/reliable than a 2.5l 951 engine at the same 400-450 hp power level, given that the two engines have the same displacement? It was probably stated somewhere in this loooooong thread, but does the Porsche engine require higher levels of boost to achieve the same power compared to the 07K? I agree that 18 psi sounds like a very reasonable target to strike a good balance between power and longevity.
You can get 400 whp out of a 944 turbo engine using modern tech. A Voodoo turbo, M-Tune etc. The big problem with them is they are just antiquated tech, single cam, no VVT, smaller ports and heavier than the 07K. Also, as mentioned they are far more expensive to build.

The 07K needs nothing in order to meet your goals. The ECU also comes with the tune required to make that power.

I’m obviously a bit biased but I 100% believe everything I’m writing. I’ll let others chime in as well.
Old 12-22-2021, 11:51 AM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Thanks again - you make a strong case for the 07K swap over a 2.5l. Are you of the opinion that a forged crank isn't needed at the 450 hp (~18 lb boost) level? And does anybody know about the expected power output at 18 lb of boost for the 2.5l vs. the 07K, all else being equal? Does the 07K's greater head flow rate and greater tuning capability give it the edge over the 2.5l at the same boost level?
Old 12-22-2021, 12:56 PM
hinton
Racer

Thanks again - you make a strong case for the 07K swap over a 2.5l. Are you of the opinion that a forged crank isn't needed at the 450 hp (~18 lb boost) level? And does anybody know about the expected power output at 18 lb of boost for the 2.5l vs. the 07K, all else being equal? Does the 07K's greater head flow rate and greater tuning capability give it the edge over the 2.5l at the same boost level?
The factory cast crank is good to 600 tq so 450 hp is a piece of cake for it. The pistons are the real weak spot due to thin ring lands and small pistons pins. The aftermarket versions solve both problems.

The 07K will definitely make more power than the 2.5 at the same boost levels. This is due to higher flowing heads and the ability to spin more RPM.
Old 12-22-2021, 04:18 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hinton
The factory cast crank is good to 600 tq so 450 hp is a piece of cake for it. The pistons are the real weak spot due to thin ring lands and small pistons pins. The aftermarket versions solve both problems.

The 07K will definitely make more power than the 2.5 at the same boost levels. This is due to higher flowing heads and the ability to spin more RPM.
I think this seals the deal! Thanks; looking forward to the next production run of the swap kits.
Old 12-23-2021, 01:57 PM
Pdh
Advanced

I think this seals the deal! Thanks; looking forward to the next production run of the swap kits.
you can also help keep costs low with a used hx35 or he351 turbo which is what im going to run.

also a question for hinton, does the swap kit use factory length belts? I looked up the part number on the parts sheet but its no longer posted.
Old 12-23-2021, 02:04 PM
hinton
Racer

Originally Posted by Pdh
you can also help keep costs low with a used hx35 or he351 turbo which is what im going to run.

also a question for hinton, does the swap kit use factory length belts? I looked up the part number on the parts sheet but its no longer posted.
Here are the lengths…

Front Belt = 5x985
Rear Belt = 5x1090
Old 12-23-2021, 05:03 PM
Mike Goebel
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by hinton
From our experience 400whp (500ish crank) is reliable on the street and track. That’s at 18 psi on a dynojet. Any more than 18 psi on all stock internals and we run octane booster and try to stay no more than 20-21 psi..
What's the rebuild interval for a 500HP track engine? And what parts get replaced at that mileage limit?

Thanks
Mike G.

Old 12-23-2021, 05:06 PM
hinton
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike Goebel
What's the rebuild interval for a 500HP track engine? And what parts get replaced at that mileage limit?

Thanks
Mike G.
I don’t have any experience with the built engine yet but if you stay under 800hp (where the block begins to move around) you should have a very reliable setup. My engine is being built with the TTRS crank so it can really give it the beans but a stock crank with forged rods and pistons should be pretty bulletproof at 500 wheel.
Old 12-26-2021, 10:53 AM
Pdh
Advanced

Any news on the revised rear suspension? Been really looking forward to that update!

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread