VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 06:40 PM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by rmm177
Blade7,
AFAIK, the VW 5 cylinder 07k engines were only built and sold in North America, so they may be unavailable or expensive in other locations in the world. Your stroker may be a better option in the UK. Hope this helps.

Bob

Jaat engineering imports them to UK.
I import to Norway.

Old 02-23-2024, 02:11 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by blade7
Buy a TT-RS or RS3 then, and get a much quicker gearbox, better traction and better brakes as standard.
True, but I think the appeal of the 07K swap is taking the 944 platform we all know and love to the next level with a modern engine (which is actually lighter than the 944 engine and sits further back in the engine bay) that has great cylinder head flow out of the box, and many options for the engine build (high-revving NA, or high-revving turbo). It is not cheap, but I think it is a great option, and the engine sounds WAY better than a 944.

It has become quite expensive to build a high-output 944 turbo engine, 8V or 16V, and to expect it to last. It is not impossible, just quite expensive and requires a knowledgeable machinist, and I recall the progenitor of the offset-grind crank concept (used to post a lot on this forum) eventually broke said crank in half, so there could be some torsional vibration/harmonic issues that need to be addressed . . .

Anyway, to each their own, but I do not want a modern Audi/VW of any shape or form (we work on those POS at our shop, in addition to Porsche/BMW [BMW also mostly POS these days, four-door Porsches becoming Audis]), I just want the 5-cylinder engine from one to build to suit and install in my 951
The following users liked this post:
333pg333 (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 02:19 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

if my expensive 4syl could make me this, i wouldnt swap.

The following 2 users liked this post by ealoken:
333pg333 (02-23-2024), JNewton918 (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 02:59 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

^^ I wonder how reliable these are up at that higher hp? We've seen the top examples of the Porsche i4 motor make over 900bhp. Not many of them but they have done this. One finally failed heavily with cracked block. The other, to my knowledge is still alive but has been replaced by a 4ltr billet version.
I don't see the cost of building either motor as widely different. Both would require forged components. You can get a forged crank for the i5 with a little searching. Obviously if you wanted one for our motors it can be done but that would add plenty of dollars to the comparison price. Quite possibly absorb much of the kit required to fit the i5 into our cars. As I've said in the past, if I had my time again I'd look seriously at a built one of these i5s.
Old 02-23-2024, 03:06 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 333pg333
^^ I wonder how reliable these are up at that higher hp? We've seen the top examples of the Porsche i4 motor make over 900bhp. Not many of them but they have done this. One finally failed heavily with cracked block. The other, to my knowledge is still alive but has been replaced by a 4ltr billet version.
I don't see the cost of building either motor as widely different. Both would require forged components. You can get a forged crank for the i5 with a little searching. Obviously if you wanted one for our motors it can be done but that would add plenty of dollars to the comparison price. Quite possibly absorb much of the kit required to fit the i5 into our cars. As I've said in the past, if I had my time again I'd look seriously at a built one of these i5s.
If I was building a pure racecar, I would start with a ttrs engine, Iroz have 1000hp kits for them.
Which is found quite reliable.

Because when/if it breaks, it's easy to replace, vs a full billet i4 with all the Trix in the book.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:21 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Droops83
. .

Anyway, to each their own, but I do not want a modern Audi/VW of any shape or form (we work on those POS at our shop, in addition to Porsche/BMW [BMW also mostly POS these days, four-door Porsches becoming Audis]), I just want the 5-cylinder engine from one to build to suit and install in my 951
Fair enough. Not sure I'd call a Golf R/Leon Cupra R a POS though. Not much has to be changed to get a driveable, reliable 400+ bhp out of them, and a DSG gearbox saves quite a lot of time. Plus in the wet AWD makes it a lot easier to put the power down.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:32 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by ealoken
If I was building a pure racecar, I would start with a ttrs engine, Iroz have 1000hp kits for them.
Which is found quite reliable.

Because when/if it breaks, it's easy to replace, vs a full billet i4 with all the Trix in the book.
I agree that our trick motors tend to cost ridiculously extortionate amounts compared to others. Who knows why? #becausePorsche ?? But have those Iroz motors been put to the test. I don't mean street racing because that counts for little in my book. But once on the track a motor is put under a lot more boost % than otherwise. I find a lot of tuning houses in the US largely deal with '3 honks hwy racing' for a few hundred yards. Sure, there's also drag racing which while it doesn't float my boat, puts a lot more pressure on components and tunes. I haven't looked into the Iroz stuff for a while. Love to see someone pushing a racecar on the track with one of these or similar motors and showing some sort of reliability for the $ spent.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:21 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Several times in the last few years I’ve seen people scrambling trying to order bearings for their 944 engines. There have been periods I believe where not even Porsche themselves had them available.

The amount of engine parts that have approached or actually become NLA is what drove me to sell off all my 944 engines and parts a few years ago and convert to the Holy Church of GM.

so in much more time doing a hybrid stroker might not even be an option.

Last edited by V2Rocket; 02-23-2024 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-24-2024, 03:52 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Easy Tiger, I don't know how much either option costs fitted and running in the car. Enlighten me and tell me how much a 07k costs.
Then what made you have the impression the 07k costs a lot more than an offset stroker?
Search this thread and other 07k build threads for cost.
Old 02-24-2024, 04:19 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Fair enough. Not sure I'd call a Golf R/Leon Cupra R a POS though. Not much has to be changed to get a driveable, reliable 400+ bhp out of them, and a DSG gearbox saves quite a lot of time. Plus in the wet AWD makes it a lot easier to put the power down.
Sorry, I doin't want to trash the modern VAG cars so much, but I've had too many customers who actually did their due diligence with oil change intervals/quality oil and still had to replace 2.0T timing chains on engines with well under 100K miles, just stupid.

Leon Cupra R is cool, we obviously don't get that brand in the States, but I did see a few in Mexico City last year, they looked great. A good friend just got a brand new Golf R, he can still fit his 3 kids in the back seat
Old 02-25-2024, 07:57 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Then what made you have the impression the 07k costs a lot more than an offset stroker?
Search this thread and other 07k build threads for cost.
Why would I waste time doing that, when I could ask on this thread. Surely you know?
Old 03-08-2024, 05:20 PM
IL8APEX
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone got Updates?

I've been watching this thread for quite awhile anticipating my own build. Although I'm not tracking everyone, it seems that there are a few concurrent builds here and not a lot of people crossing the finish line. If you don't have updates, maybe just discuss your top 2 stoppers at the moment to see if anyone can offer assistance?

I bring this up only to help move people forward, not to hijack the thread with all the reasons to fail. Let's keep this productive!

-Tom
Old 03-08-2024, 05:39 PM
The_TylerDavis
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IL8APEX
Anyone got Updates?

I've been watching this thread for quite awhile anticipating my own build. Although I'm not tracking everyone, it seems that there are a few concurrent builds here and not a lot of people crossing the finish line. If you don't have updates, maybe just discuss your top 2 stoppers at the moment to see if anyone can offer assistance?

I bring this up only to help move people forward, not to hijack the thread with all the reasons to fail. Let's keep this productive!

-Tom
I think a lot of us have moved to the 07K 944 Facebook group.
Old 03-08-2024, 06:46 PM
rmm177
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I’m close to finishing my engine, new pistons and rods, valve springs, TTRS harmonic balancer, SPA exhaust manifold, and other stuff. Just waiting for a BBG kit to become available to continue my build.

Bob
IL8APEX (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 11:52 PM
IL8APEX
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

@The_TylerDavis I am subscribed, but the chatter there makes my head hurt!

@rmm177 I too am on the Boost Brothers wait list. I chatted with them for awhile on Messenger, but there is no indication when the next batch might be ready. Part of my motivation for poking this thread was to make sure new 07K swappers can find it!

-Tom
Droops83 (03-09-2024)

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread