Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 11:50 PM
The_TylerDavis
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Electronics ECU for sale

Selling my PE-8400 Standalone ECU from Boost Brothers/Performance Electronics.

Includes:
- PE-8400 ECU
- 07K Wiring harness
- Wideband O2
- Boost Controller
- LCD (With both handheld and dash mount brackets)
- Quad lock windshield mount
- ECU mounting bracket
- Extra wiring and cable shield from PE

Also includes a turbo tune for 427HP on a Garrett G30-660/Pulsar PSR 5455G turbo (Or equivalent) and the base tune from Boost Brothers Garage.

New ECU and Screen from Boost Brothers is currently $4,600.00 CAD + shipping, duties, and tax.

Asking $3,850.00 CAD / $2,850.00 USD

Local pickup in Calgary, AB or shipping available at buyers expense

Old 10-17-2023, 11:23 PM
Jotronic
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

So who's doing this swap lately? Seems kind of dead in this thread.

Does anyone have a list of all the current parts needed once you have the kit? I know there's a running Google sheets file but I read somewhere that it isn't complete or up to date.
Old 10-18-2023, 02:54 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Jotronic
So who's doing this swap lately? Seems kind of dead in this thread.

Does anyone have a list of all the current parts needed once you have the kit? I know there's a running Google sheets file but I read somewhere that it isn't complete or up to date.
My kit is getting shipped to me as we speak.
The following users liked this post:
Jotronic (10-18-2023)
Old 10-18-2023, 07:36 PM
Jotronic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ealoken
My kit is getting shipped to me as we speak.
Fantastic! I know you'll document thoroughly so I'm looking forward to it.

So I was talking to a shop today about helping me with this project and they said it would be a good winter project over about two months. Huh?

I have the swap kit (most of it) and wouldn't have them start till I have everything ready to go. This shouldn't take more than a week assuming no parts or bones are broken during the process. Am I missing something here?
Old 10-30-2023, 12:10 AM
Jotronic
Rennlist Member

Looks like inflation is hitting Boosted Brothers. The swap kit just jumped up by 2200 to 7,743.00. This is without all the ancillary parts, without the Haltech stand alone. A roughly 40% jump in price.
Old 10-30-2023, 07:04 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jotronic
Looks like inflation is hitting Boosted Brothers. The swap kit just jumped up by 2200 to 7,743.00. This is without all the ancillary parts, without the Haltech stand alone. A roughly 40% jump in price.
I haven't seen any price jump.
​​​​​​Are you sure about this?
Old 10-30-2023, 11:36 AM
Jotronic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ealoken
I haven't seen any price jump.
​​​​​​Are you sure about this?
Seems to be back to original price now. I checked four times last night to be sure so maybe there was a page editing error of some sort. Never mind
Old 10-30-2023, 11:45 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

I received my builder kit this week.
in Norway.

The following 3 users liked this post by ealoken:
alengyel (11-19-2023), Droops83 (11-02-2023), rmm177 (11-21-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 01:58 PM
HelloGoodLuck
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I stalled out on this project back in April, but considering getting back into it over the winter. Is there anyone else here in progress on their build? Looking for motivation (and documentation!). If not, I’m open to selling off the parts I’ve accumulated if there is any interest.
Old 11-18-2023, 02:03 PM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by HelloGoodLuck
I stalled out on this project back in April, but considering getting back into it over the winter. Is there anyone else here in progress on their build? Looking for motivation (and documentation!). If not, I’m open to selling off the parts I’ve accumulated if there is any interest.
My goal is to dyno a stock engine with my intake, manifold.
just need to find out what ecu to run etc.

​​​
Old 11-20-2023, 08:38 PM
Bizzclassified
Banned

I understand that fuel economy is not the reason for making such swap, but otoh since the fuel economy of a 951 is appallingly bad for a car of such low drag coefficient and frontal area, and since VW and Audi cars with 07K engines are much more fuel efficient despite higher drag
Old 11-20-2023, 10:23 PM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bizzclassified
I understand that fuel economy is not the reason for making such swap, but otoh since the fuel economy of a 951 is appallingly bad for a car of such low drag coefficient and frontal area, and since VW and Audi cars with 07K engines are much more fuel efficient despite higher drag
I'm not building a 600bhp engine to save fuel 😂
Old 11-21-2023, 01:29 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Bizzclassified
Not sure which 07K cars you are referring to, but the explanation for the seemingly bad fuel economy of the stock 951 is simple. They easily get MPG in the mid to high 20s during freeway cruising, but this goes down drastically with a heavy right foot thanks to the old-school engine preservation method of a quite rich air/fuel ratio during periods of heavy load/high boost, despite the fact that they had knock sensing capability (which was cutting-edge at the time).

Even modern turbocharged engines will see MPG suffer under load (hence the modern DFI/highly boosted engines achieving far less MPG than the EPA ratings during real-world conditions), but better combustion chamber design and engine management mean less fuel is wasted with heavy load, assuming the hardware and tuning are matched.

This is all more of a concern for the OEs than with most people here doing 07K swaps
Old 11-21-2023, 07:19 PM
rmm177
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I’m starting my build over the winter, probably in January. I’m in the planning stage now, reading this thread, watching any YouTube videos about 07k and swaps.
this is my tentative plan so far. I have a very pretty 1984 944 NA Porsche, slick top, minty really. It’s just slow for me. I’ll use it since I have it. It will probably need at least a brake upgrade with any additional power.
1) Rebuild a 07k engine. I found a donor engine locally with 100k from a 2006 Jetta. I plan to make it turbo proof with forged pistons, new rods and larger wrist pins. Not sure if the donor engine has a forged crank or not. New timing chain and guides. New valves of a suitable material for turbo. I’m looking at ECS as a possible supplier, I basically will want a supplier with experience that can make recommendations for suitable parts.
2) Buy a lift. I’m currently raising the ceiling in my barn/workshop to 11’
3) Buy a Boost Brothers swap kit. I will definitely get the wiring harness.
4) I might start with a NA build, get it running and then build a turbo system at a future point. I think I can use a SPA turbo exhaust manifold and use an adapter from the turbo mount to a 3” down pipe and blank-cover the wastegate mount.
5) I know there is much more. simple right….what could go wrong? 😜

Bob

Old 11-21-2023, 08:39 PM
The_TylerDavis
7th Gear

Originally Posted by rmm177
I’m starting my build over the winter, probably in January. I’m in the planning stage now, reading this thread, watching any YouTube videos about 07k and swaps.
this is my tentative plan so far. I have a very pretty 1984 944 NA Porsche, slick top, minty really. It’s just slow for me. I’ll use it since I have it. It will probably need at least a brake upgrade with any additional power.
1) Rebuild a 07k engine. I found a donor engine locally with 100k from a 2006 Jetta. I plan to make it turbo proof with forged pistons, new rods and larger wrist pins. Not sure if the donor engine has a forged crank or not. New timing chain and guides. New valves of a suitable material for turbo. I’m looking at ECS as a possible supplier, I basically will want a supplier with experience that can make recommendations for suitable parts.
2) Buy a lift. I’m currently raising the ceiling in my barn/workshop to 11’
3) Buy a Boost Brothers swap kit. I will definitely get the wiring harness.
4) I might start with a NA build, get it running and then build a turbo system at a future point. I think I can use a SPA turbo exhaust manifold and use an adapter from the turbo mount to a 3” down pipe and blank-cover the wastegate mount.
5) I know there is much more. simple right….what could go wrong? 😜

Bob
I have a builders kit and wiring harness I’ll sell you! Send me a PM

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread