Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 01:36 PM
RustyFab
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Three forged rs3 cranks available on ebay. Coming from Hungary. $1700 + shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/29373122640...xoCRhYQAvD_BwE
Old 05-13-2021, 02:22 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Isn't that the crank part number for the aluminum block engine? I don't know if they are the same or not but I thought the iron block part number was 07k-105-101P for the TTRS crank.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:36 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dmnted
Has anyone figured out how to make the tach work properly on an early 944?

Any help appreciated!
Mine sorta works with the PE signal to the black wire on the connector, limiter brings the needle to around 4k, but I've since re-wired it to the green coil wire, and black on switched 12v.
Waiting for parts so can't confirm if it works yet but I suspect it will and will report back when the time comes.
The following users liked this post:
dmnted (05-17-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 05:57 PM
RustyFab
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese
Isn't that the crank part number for the aluminum block engine? I don't know if they are the same or not but I thought the iron block part number was 07k-105-101P for the TTRS crank.
From what I gather they are interchangeable. The dfi pump drive ends up not getting used on the iron block/std 07k only using port injection. I remember Hank mentioning this is one possible strategy for high hp builds with the additional benefit of having an eight bolt crank/flywheel along with a lot less weight being hollow.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:45 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Originally Posted by 4Lo
Thanks, unfortunately those newer DAZA RS3 crankshafts don't fit the earlier 07k engine that this swap is based around. Needs to be the first gen TTRS crankshaft PN 07K105101P to fit these 07k swaps. ECS sources all theirs from Audi who doesn't have any in stock and doesn't know when more will be manufactured . Didn't think they'd be this hard to come by.
Originally Posted by Sixline
I know they changed to an aluminum block vs iron and the crank is hollow for additional weight savings. Pistons and rods still have compatibility between the engines. What is different that doesn't make it fit?

Edit: looks like the front main bearing size is different? My mistake, I thought they were all interchangeable. I hope the early cranks don't become NLA.
Reading back a ways it looks like the aluminum block cranks don't fit the iron blocks, unfortunately.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:04 PM
RustyFab
Intermediate

Reading back a ways it looks like the aluminum block cranks don't fit the iron blocks, unfortunately.
Thanks for the follow up. That’s a bummer! I read on the project pad that the ttrs/rs3 cranks drop in but it must have been referring to the early cranks, my mistake.
I just spoke to Nick at Iroz about machining the early iron blocks to fit the later aluminum block cranks. He sounded optimistic but needs to verify with Hank and their engine builder. I’ll update when I hear back.
Old 05-27-2021, 04:24 PM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

The kit is getting some mainstream love!

Old 06-01-2021, 02:00 PM
Pdh
Advanced

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows if a 1989 944 turbo transmission, code aor will mount in a 1983 944, I have the aor transmission just not the mounts for it. I tried putting on the 1983 transmission mounts onto the turbo transaxle but it has a different bolt pattern. Would I need to fabricate something or will oem turbo mounts work?

any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2021, 06:29 PM
RustyFab
Intermediate

I got an email back from Aaron (sales) at Iroz and he said he can only help with providing a late ttrs/rs3 forged crank for development of the iron blocks to fit the late aluminum block forged crank. He mentioned that they aren’t cheap, and he did not include a number. I plan to follow up to still see if there’s a more solid answer or someone that can confirm that it has been done in the vw world.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:49 PM
RustyFab
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hinton
The kit is getting some mainstream love!

https://youtu.be/4RBENxP97d0
He’s building that motor as well!
I do remember seeing a video of the driving of that car...it didn’t sound like he ever spun the motor past 3k rpm, seriously short shifting and lugging the 944 N/A motor.
The front control arms he built look good! The spacers for the struts look like a band-aid fix for ride height. I certainly would not jump that car with any gusto with the spacers. Cool build, and it’s great to see a rally 944 get attention!
Old 06-09-2021, 08:19 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

So I placed an order for a ttrs crank through AudiUSAParts a little less than a month ago. They emailed me back and described it as a "galactic backorder" and weren't sure when it would ship. They wanted to know if I still wanted to keep the order. I said yes since I didn't have a better option.

I just got an email that it shipped! So maybe the galactic backorder is over and anyone here who wasn't sure where to get one can order one now without too much of a wait. Or maybe I just got lucky.

Figured I would share the news though!
Old 06-13-2021, 09:42 AM
Cjar
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ECS Tuning showed a crank in stock so I jumped on it. If it actually arrives maybe Audi got their crank backlog fixed.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:03 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Is anyone running an aftermarket radiator and fan setup?

Ours bit the dust thanks to a deep rut and a large rock in the second lap of our rallycross race yesterday. The bottom radiator support got smashed back, cracked the radiator end cap, and tore the terminals clean out of the fans. We made it through the third lap but finally overheated waiting for the 4th with no fans in 90* heat.

I'm thinking of going aftermarket and maybe canting it forward with some ducting to try and keep it up and out of harms way. Just not sure what size the 07k would like. I'll call around but figured I would see what you guys are running first.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:51 PM
EastEnd944
Rennlist Member

Is anyone running an aftermarket radiator and fan setup?

Ours bit the dust thanks to a deep rut and a large rock in the second lap of our rallycross race yesterday. The bottom radiator support got smashed back, cracked the radiator end cap, and tore the terminals clean out of the fans. We made it through the third lap but finally overheated waiting for the 4th with no fans in 90* heat.

I'm thinking of going aftermarket and maybe canting it forward with some ducting to try and keep it up and out of harms way. Just not sure what size the 07k would like. I'll call around but figured I would see what you guys are running first.
I'm currently running a Griffin 1-26181-X (22x15.5x3) with a single 16in spal fan. I cut out the original radiator mount and fabricated my own to have it lean back at a 40 degree angle. A little more than half of the rad is wide open while the rest is tucked behind the bumper. I had overheating issues before I discovered my temp sensor wasn't turning the fan on. After fixing that, I've had no issues with temps. However the main reason mine is set up that way is the turbo sits directly in front of the gallardo exhaust manifold, right above/behind the radiator. If you are running a naturally aspirated setup or have a spa manifold I'm sure you have more room to play with, and most likely won't need to take such drastic measures.

Have you seen how Alan's radiator is setup? He is also running an aftermarket Griffin, however he has a different model that he converted to dual pass. IIRC theres a post or two about it in earlier pages, but also on Mike's youtube there's a video where he briefly discusses it. From the sticker on the bottom it looks like he has a 1-59201-X. It's a very short explanation, but should provide some insight. Start at 4:30 for radiator discussion.
I'm sure there's more footage, but this is what I was able to find.

Last edited by EastEnd944; 06-14-2021 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Added clip time
Old 06-15-2021, 02:04 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts

I have this in my 951.
needs some work to fit.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRI-1-25201-X

With tilt angle top to engine.

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread